Customer Discussions > Classic Movie forum

Classic Cartoons, anyone?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 745 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2009 10:11:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2009 10:13:00 PM PST
Harry--
If you have a working VCR, DAFFY DUCK AND THE DINOSAUR is on that collection I described further back on this thread-- an excellent quality DIAMOND ENTERTAINMENT tape called 50 CLASSICS, Vol. 1 - 6 HOURS OF COLOR CARTOONS.

Current price: a penny!

50 Classics, Vol. 1 - 6 Hours of Color Cartoons [VHS]

Contents list is on my review, under COMMENTS.

PS-- YES on Van Beuren and BOLD KING COLE. Here is my synopsis of it:

BOLD KING COLE (1936) [vb] - Felix the Cat takes shelter from a storm at King Cole's castle, where the two are haunted by ghosts of the king's ancestors.

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 2:44:25 PM PST
Hello fellow classic cartoon fans. It's funny -- I think it's virtually impossible to predict what someone would be like in person based on their likes and dislikes (such as music, books, etc.) EXCEPT that I cannot imagine not getting along with someone who is a classic cartoon fan. I can't! I don't know why. Regardless, I should hang out here more often. You folks also know a lot more than I do.

So, with that flattery out of the way, now I must ask for a favor. What is the name of the cartoon in which Daffy Duck (my favorite Looney Tunes character, by the way) says, near the end, "Who am I to turn down a cool fiver?" I absolutely love this line, for reasons I can explain if you're interested. Anyhow, I believe he is on a game show, and has just been told he's won five something. And he thinks it's 5000, and then 500, but then finds out it's just five bucks. What's the name of this cartoon? For the life of me I cannot remember it. I think it's been years since I saw it. Any assistance would be much appreciated! Best wishes everyone,

AA

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2009 3:00:31 PM PST
Hi I'm Harry says:
Welcome, Arms!

Wish I could help you on the Daffy quote, but I can't. Keep your eye out for Annie Van Auken -- she's the smart one here... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2009 5:22:19 PM PST
Greetings, AA!

Nice to meet another classic cartoon fan. I wish I could help you track down the cartoon you are seeking. I am familiar with much of Daffy's work but the one with the line about a cool fiver does not ring a bell. I even looked around a little on the web, out of curiosity. There are a few shorts that involve Daffy appearing on a TV program or game show, but I didn't see this specific one.

I hope someone else in the forum might know this cartoon.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful. Good luck...

PS: Our cartoon expert Annie is usually around at night. She may know this cartoon.

Posted on Feb 11, 2009 8:53:29 PM PST
AA--
If you can place the cartoon within a single decade I may be able to assist you.

Was this definitely a game show prize, or an inheritance whittled down to nil by expenses?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 1:43:37 AM PST
Jim K says:
Annie,

Hi Jim Kelsay here, like AA I can't remember the title but I do remember the line. It seems to me that Daffy had just participated in a best chicken contest. As the prizes are announced in descending order Daffy is standing in line wearing a rubber glove on his head. When the last chicken winner is named the five dollar prize for best duck is announced, Daffy pulls off the glove and says "Who am I to sneer at a fast fiver". That prize is then given to a small chicken wearing a clothespin for a duck bill.

I know my quote is different than AA's but that's the way I remember it. I had a beer at dinner the other day and may have killed that particular brain cell, if that's the case AA you da man.

Release date I'd guess at between 48 and 55 because of the TV reference.

Hope this helps...Jim

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 2:38:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2009 2:42:34 AM PST
Jim--
Not only was your description helpful, I can picture the cartoon in my mind now.
Thanks!

It's called YOU WERE NEVER DUCKIER (1948).

Daffy Duck: Five dollars for the best duck? You mean I came all the way from Dubuque for a measly five bucks? Five thousand dollars for the best rooster? Why, they can't do this to me! It's uncostitutional! It's... it's... Brother, could I use five thousand smackereenees. Hey, there must be a way. There must be.

imdb.com url:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040984/

WIKIPEDIA (includes excellent synopsis):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Were_Never_Duckier

Posted on Feb 12, 2009 6:50:02 AM PST
You Were Never Duckier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji22cObMgdA

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 10:49:27 AM PST
Hi I'm Harry says:
It's been about 45 years since I saw my last TOP CAT cartoon, and in the bright, harsh, high-contrast light of 2009, I'm thinking that there might have been a lot of politically incorrect touches in it. Has anyone seen one recently?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 11:42:55 AM PST
Harry,

45 years? You mean you saw them during first run on TV. Why, you don't sound a day over 30! :)

Top Cat was based on the personality of Phil Silvers, yes? If memory serves, many of Hanna Barbera cartoon programs had occasional ethnic gags, which today's often sheltered and sensitive audience would find nefarious, LOL.

Posted on Feb 12, 2009 3:29:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 12, 2009 4:08:08 PM PST
John says:
(Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse found in another board thanks raja99) Does anyone know ,Im not sure which cartoon, Mighty Mouse sort of springs to mind,who ever (he had a high pitched voice?) and a arch enemy, that looked liked a frog and sounded like Edward G Robinson? im sure he smoked a cigar also.Anyone remember?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 5:21:23 PM PST
In case anyone's interested:
re: Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courageous_Cat_and_Minute_Mouse

Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse - The Complete Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4r7sAe9XM

PS: Minute Mouse has the most annoying high pitched voice in cartoons I've heard. Yikes. It's like listening to Elmo the Muppet.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 7:08:36 PM PST
Duck fans, you've done it! "You Were Never Duckier" had to have been it. And J. Kelsay, you have my respect -- you remembered it correctly, and in fact the correct line is better than what I remembered. I love it: "Who am I to sneer at a fast fiver?"

This is a great example of how a forum should work. You get a guy who's well-intentioned but with a faulty memory (me) who asks a question, which is picked up by some folks who have better memories, which in turn is picked up by other folks with good memories, which prompts someone to hit the nail on the head. Thanks dudes.

Now how can we get a grassroots movement going to get Tex Avery cartoons (in addition to Droopy) on DVD?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 8:09:48 PM PST
Yes! Tex Avery... all of his cartoons in a nice DVD set would be fantastic (not to mention long overdue).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2009 12:17:27 AM PST
TOP CAT is considered the most adult of Hanna-Barbera's cartoon series. There is DVD box set available of the complete series. (It's hard to believe this show premiered over 47 years ago! I remember it as if only yesterday...)

Yes, it's loosely based on "You'll Never Get Rich," the Phil Silvers sitcom also known as "Sgt. Bilko."

Additional tie-in: Maurice Gosfield (voice of "Benny the Ball") was Bilko's Pvt. Doberman.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2009 6:37:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2009 6:41:31 AM PST
Hi I'm Harry says:
Sard,

Yessir, I sat cross-legged on the floor of my father's den and watched TOP CAT in its original, primetime run all those years ago. And haven't seen it since. Also saw Fred Flintstone come out and sell Winston cigarettes in his primetime show! Hard to believe, that last one, even in 1961.

Annie, come sit on the floor with me; my mom will pop some Jiffy Pop for us!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2009 9:07:30 PM PST
Harry--
I can smell the Jiffy Pop as I type!
I also liked to whip my vanilla ice cream into a thick mush.

The Flintstones premiered in primetime a bit before I can remember-- 1959.

In my mind I can still see all the shows I watched as a child. I was a real western fan and never missed an episode of Rawhide. The commercials stay with me, as well, like the cartoonish Gravy Train.

Do you remember the cereal commercial that looked like the painting of "American Gothic." General Mills' New Country Corn Flakes was a personal fave. Check it out right here:

http://www.roadode.com/eat_1.shtml

You'll also see ads here for Teaberry Gum (The Teaberry Shuffle!).
Great website, BTW!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 8:44:01 AM PST
Jim K says:
AA

Glad I was able to help in a small way, Annie and Baron did all the heavy lifting.

You're right about the collective knowledge in this group. I've only been a computer owner since November, and only just put my toe in the water of these discussion groups a couple of weeks ago. Mostly I've been reading to catch up, if you want to play with the big kids you should know something about them.

I'm looking forward to leaning more about cartoons, movies and whatever. Nice to meet you all...Jim

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 5:09:14 PM PST
Jim,
It's nice to meet you, too!

Sard

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 5:51:34 PM PST
ronzo says:
Great job Jim and Annie!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 7:17:19 PM PST
Grant says:
I wanted to mention a toon by Avery. As far as animation goes, not a great technical achievment, I just think its one his funniest. You've all probably seen it before, "Slang". Here is a link that shows the entire cartoon. I love the cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot92Yfovvvg

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 7:27:44 PM PST
Grant says:
Also, had to add my favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon. Rebel Rabbit. It just doesn't get better than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztjKFIp9bfg&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 9:03:43 PM PST
Thanks for sharing those, Grant. Very fun cartoons, indeed.

Have I rhapsodized over Tex Avery's "Rockabye Bear" yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy1AuWf-eTU

Disregard this if I already mentioned it. I just love it.
(I follow a couple of cartoon threads and sometimes I repeat myself. Mea culpa, lol.)

And here's one of Bea Benaderet's greatest vocal creations... the whiny, annoying, unstoppable bobby-soxer in "Little Red Riding Rabbit". This toon has terrific music, voices, sound effects, and comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ_W48JMC1Y

There are several actors who did lots of wonderful voices in the Looney Tunes cartoons... Mel Blanc, June Foray, Arthur Q. Bryan, etc. Blanc did so many different characters, it's amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2009 9:55:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2009 9:59:17 PM PST
Jim--
It's a pleasure to have you in our community! ;?)

ronzo--
Thanks kindly!

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 1:51:36 AM PST
Jim K says:
Hi guys
Thanks for the welcome.

Do any of you have an opinion on the Rodger Rabbit movie? I think the old toons that had the characters interacting with the real world hold their own. Especially given the budgetary restrictions. But I did particularly like the idea of Toontown. All of the old favorites are real and living in a suburb of LA. I bet you get there by turning left at Albuquerque...Jim
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Movie forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  745
Initial post:  Jan 11, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions