Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Which of these 1992 Classic Albums was the best?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 5:38:57 PM PST
Hard to believe its been 20 years since these 3 Classic albums were released but, which one is the best? Your choices are-

Dirt-Alice In Chains

Countdown To Extinction-Megadeth

Vulgar Display Of Power-Pantera

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:50:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 6:50:34 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:07:15 PM PST
They're all great in their own ways. I was stoked at the end of May that year when The Black Crowes released Southern Harmony and the Musical Companion, that disc is forever my top release of '92, and definitely one of my favorites of all time.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:39:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 8:43:25 PM PST
T. Boyle says:
I'd have to go with "Dirt", which is my favorite album of the 90s and one of my favorites of all time. "Countdown to Extinction" is a great album, but I bought it later on and it never made quite as much impact on me. I have never been a fan of Pantera - I like vocals with intonation and melody, and I could never get past that with them.

Other albums I would like to highlight from that year are:
Rhino Bucket - Get Used To It (their best album)
Giant - Time To Burn (underrated band with amazing vocalist and lead guitarist, Dann Huff)

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:02:31 PM PST
"Dirt", by far. My top ten for 1992 looks like this:

1. "Automatic For The People", REM
2. "Lazer Guided Melodies", Spiritualized
3. "Us", Peter Gabriel
4. "Kiko", Los Lobos
5. "Blues For The Red Sun", Kyuss
6. "Dirt", Alice In Chains
7. "Spooky", Lush
8. "Little Earthquakes", Tori Amos
9. "Peng", Stereolab
10. "Hit To Death In The Future Head", The Flaming Lips

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:11:24 PM PST
Exile says:
Of the three I would choose "Dirt" by AIC. Its the only one I'll still play today.

Southern Harmony is the best Crowes album.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:08:50 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Dirt, nooooo contest. Tremendous album.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:35:04 AM PST
The Black Crowes Southern Harmony and the Musical Companion, would be my pick for the top release of '92.

I heard Vulgar Display Of Pantera just yesterday. It reminded me of a child throwing a temper tantrum.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:00:14 AM PST
Exile says:
Listening to Harmony now..

"Sometimes Salvation in the eye of the storm..."

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:22:20 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> Dirt-Alice In Chains
> Countdown To Extinction-Megadeth
> Vulgar Display Of Power-Pantera

In that order.
Both the Alice in Chains and Megadeth records are in my Top 10 that year. For Pantera, I prefer Cowboys from Hell and Far beyond Driven.

Dream Theater's Images and Words was also released in 1992. My top albums for that year were:

A contre-jour, Julie Masse
New Miserable Experience, Gin Blossoms
Automatic for the People, R.E.M.
Dirt, Alice in Chains
Blind, The Sundays
Humroot, Shelleyan Orphan
Countdown to Extinction, Megadeth
Great Expectations, Tasmin Archer
Angel Dust, Faith No More
Bone Machine, Tom Waits
Above, Below & Beyond, Jennifer Batten
Grave Dancers Union, Soul Asylum
Images and Words, Dream Theater
With a Picture in Mind, Lava Hay
Core, Stone Temple Pilots
Broken (EP), Nine Inch Nails

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:45:59 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
Dirt, it's not even close

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 8:47:53 AM PST
Music Lover says:
Dirt. I like the other two but Dirt is head and shoulders above.

my favorite of the others mentioned from that year are Core and Southern Harmony

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:15:55 AM PST
Vulgar...Vulgar...VULGAR!

I'm just a fanboy, though

I don't consider STP's Core to be too far behind Dirt.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:23:14 AM PST
I picked up the 20th Anniversary reissue of Vulgar and the remastering/mixing made it all the more excellent. With both PanterA and AiC, they just came into their own with those releases.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:24:17 AM PST
I like Countdown best. Cool songs. Great riffs. Great record. Hello me....

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:29:17 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> I like Countdown best. Cool songs. Great riffs. Great record. Hello me....

Both Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction are seriously hurt by the production. 1985 drums on a 1992 record. They don't have nearly the power, vibe and fullness of Dirt or Vulgar Display of Power. Put on Metallica's 1991 "Black Album" and then put on Countdown to Extinction. It's like you switched from a $1000 stereo system to a $50 one. Youthanasia sounded better, and Cryptic Writings was actually crisp.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:41:36 PM PST
Do you like the songs on Countdown D?

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 1:11:48 PM PST
D. Mok says:
Not a big fan of the lyrics, but Dave Mustaine has never been a great lyricist. The songwriting and guitar riffs are excellent.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:21:46 PM PST
To officially respond to the thread question, I'm not big on Pantera and am much more in tune to Megadeth and Alice in Chains, and with this I'd say Dirt is probably the most groundbreaking in terms of the time period. Countdown is a solid disc, but not quite as strong as Rust or Peace Sells on the whole. Dirt is AIC's peak record(although the follow up self-titled is close), and I know Jar of Flies is only a ep, but wow, that's extraordinary also! And maybe I should listen to some more Pantera to fully grasp what Vulgar Dislpay of Power truly is. Alot of my buddies back in the day dug it....

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 12:52:21 AM PST
D... I love the lyrics on Countdown. Some of his lyrics i don't dig. But i like his paranoid, personal, kind of comical stuff. Definitly a fan of Mustaines bent lyrically. Less serious than Metallica and i like that sometimes. The songs make me chuckle. Paranoia is cool lyrically in my book. : ) All this is ment lightheartedly from my end, kind of like the way i take Dave's lyrics.

Thirty Ought Six, i can't say why but i never got too far into Alice. I bought the first record when it came out and got a free VHS with videos on it. I only loved Man In The Box. Never got too far into the other stuff. Even though the guitar playing is right up my alley. I think i'll remedy that by getting Dirt. I know Rooster and dig it. But just never jumped into the Alice pool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2012 1:59:33 AM PST
Anthony-I would also recommend Jar Of Flies as well as Dirt. I agree with you on Mustaine's lyrics. Wake Up Dead is another funny song. Dave does do some serious stuff I like as well.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:25:21 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> But i like his paranoid, personal, kind of comical stuff.

Dave Mustaine's nasal voice tends to make most of his lyrics a little silly-sounding. I just can't take him seriously as a lyricist, especially since he loves writing about politics, but never really goes deeper beyond "Government bad". Some of his themes are close to Black Sabbath (madness, science fiction, paranoia), but I think Black Sabbath's lyrics grew much more mature over time (eg. "Megalomania", "Hole in the Sky", "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"), but Dave Mustaine's never really did.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions