Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Deep Purple's new band member?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 9:40:33 AM PST
bass boy says:
Has anyone else noticed some of the online photos of recent/new Deep Purple shows that show a heavy-set, dark-haired guy playing guitar behind singer Ian Gillan. Classic Rock website has a couple. Has Steve Morse gained a bunch of weight? Do they have a second/touring guitarist for live work now? Just curious.
Here's a photo of the mystery man on the big screen, behind Gillan and Roger Glover. Just curious if anyone knows who this is. Thanks. :)

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/deep-purples-ian-gillan-plays-coy-about-new-album-title/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 9:52:15 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Yeah wow bass boy. Just saw the picture. It's certainly not Morse and it's certainly (and unfortunately) not Blackmore. I can't believe it would be some type of "typo", as in some double exposure mistake in the photo but stranger things have happened. Maybe it was a guitarist playing on one of their most recent tours where I think they were doing some of the old concerto album. But not positive they even did that, just read they were supposed to, or were going to play with an orchestra, etc. Maybe he was part of that ????? Strange.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:41:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 4:41:36 PM PST
bass boy says:
Hey Alex, thanks for the reply. Always good to see you here. :)

Yeah, I hope they didn't ax Morse. I know a lot of people don't like Morse, but actually I like him. Do I wish Blackmore was with them? Absolutely, but if Blackmore isn't coming back - it sure looks that way - Morse should stay on board. And I'm ready for Deep Purple to hit the U.S. for more tour dates again. 2007 has been WAAAAY too long for me. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:15:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 6:24:09 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Hey bass, good to see you too :)

I'm sure they didn't ax Morse. Even in today's music world that would still be pretty big news.

You know they've got a new album coming out right? A few months ago that was still up in the air but it's all done and set for an April release.

Blackmore coming back will remain a pipe dream. I read a story about Blackmore making a secret deal in '93 getting a hefty sum to stick around and make The Battle Rages on. The only problem with that was all the other members of Purple received nothing and when they heard they were aced out, they were flabbergasted and supposedly felt that was low, scummy, behind their back move. As you probably know Ritchie was out for good soon after, quitting in the middle of the proceeding tour.

Who knows how much is true and of course they had years and years of infighting....but having trust issues with your band about money on top of everything else is not the kind of thing that bodes well for any reunions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:39:06 PM PST
bass boy says:
Wow, I had never heard that behind-the-back deal he did back in 1993. Man, that would a low blow, for sure. There's nothing nastier than a band breakup, when members feel betrayed. It can get ugly.

Glad they are putting out a new CD in April. I hope they tour behind it here in the U.S. I would love to see them again.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:17:36 PM PST
Glad to hear there's a new DP on the way - it's been forever! I hope Morse is in - "Purpendicular" and "Abandon" are fantastic albums (the two without Lord are still pretty good, but not as good). Gillan sounds great on the two "Who Cares" songs he did recently.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

ARRAY(0xa17d5450)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions