Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

RUSH , in the Rock & Roll Hall!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2012 3:40:23 PM PST
RegF says:
Finally , RUSH , is in the U.S.' Rolling Stone Magazine , American controlled , Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Bands like RUSH and DEEP PURPLE should have been in there years ago. However , I will take RUSH , for now. DEEP PURPLE , should be next...???

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 7:26:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 7:28:09 PM PST
Working Man says:
Yes, I was hoping Deep Purple would make it too, but I didn't think they would both get in. I hope you're right and Deep Purple is next year. I still think Yes and Jethro Tull deserve nominations too.

I am glad Heart made it, they deserve it. As for the rest...Albert King isn't a bad choice. I was never a fan of Randy Newman - not sure I know more than a couple of songs from him. Publice Enemy and Donna Summer don't exactly fit my definition of rock 'n' roll - so, no comment.

Rush To Finally Be Inducted!

It's official; Rush will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2013. They will join Public Enemy, Heart, Randy Newman, Albert King, and Donna Summer. Lou Adler and Quincy Jones will both receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers. The ceremony will be held on April 18 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, CA.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 7:39:38 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Working Man,

Congrats to Rush but no need to waste any time talking about the Hall. But you are a baseball fan, right? You've seen The Natural I assume? Randy Newman wrote the great soundtrack.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:28:26 PM PST
Working Man says:
Yes, I like baseball, not crazy about most sports movies though. I think of "Short People" and the them from the Monk tv show when I think of Randy Newman. I read the bio on the Hall site and apparently he was a prolific songwriter which I was not too aware of. I kind of thought of the only few songs I had heard.

As for Deep Purple, I figured it would be either Purple or Rush. I was going to give the edge to Rush because they've had a higher profile lately with the successful documentary and their successful Clockwork Angels cds. Plus, they had more commercial success in the 80's than the Deep Purple did. I was happy for Heart too, the best and probably the first female led hard rock band.

Next year, I hope it's Deep Purple's turn. I hope Blackmore doesn't comment about it next year. I don't think it helped their case with him saying he didn't care and he wouldn't show up if they did get elected. The Hall wants a good draw at their induction show and Deep Purple without Blackmore is not as attractive as Deep Purple with him.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:29:17 PM PST
Working Man says:
The negative votes must be coming from some fans of the losers who didn't get in or didn't even get nominated. lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:35:28 PM PST
Who cares... You need some kind of validation from a contrived magazine marketing scheme like the RRHOF to think a band has reached the promised land? That's some weak sauce.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:47:27 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Re : Yes, I like baseball, not crazy about most sports movies though..

Yeah neither am I. I think we both agreed Pride of the Yankees was our favorite. The soundtrack was the best thing about The Natural, if you ask me.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:05:27 PM PST
Working Man says:
Say what you want about the Hall, I agree most of the time. It's mostly a joke, however, when one of my favorite bands get recognized it makes me feel good and I am happy for the band. Whether it's the RnR HOF or a Grammy or some other lesser known award it's still a good feeling.

Also, I think it blows that people come on and ruin the moment for fans of Rush and/or other inductees. I am glad Rush and Heart got in and I could give a flying f--- about people who want to ruin the moment for others.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 9:08:40 PM PST
Working Man says:
Alex, yes, Pride of the Yankees is a great movie though I have not seen it in a while. Many sports movies are so unauthentic it spoils it for me. I did see The Natural once years ago, I may need to give it another viewing at some point. Bull Durham is another I saw but it didn't overly impress me, I may need to give it another viewing too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 9:15:44 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Re : Many sports movies are so unauthentic it spoils it for me

Yeah, same here. They're either too "hollywood" or the actors never played any ball in their life. You can't "act" like an athlete, you either are or aren't.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 9:16:13 PM PST
Working Man-I'm happy for Rush as well and I too think the RRHOF is a joke. I cant take a Hall Of Fame seriously that has taken so many mediocre bands/artists in and neglected nearly an entire genre of music that is extremely popular. It used to bother me when bands like Black Sabbath would get passed over but, now I could care less whether or not Iron Maiden, Judas Priest or Deep Purple ever get in. More importantly, they are in MY HOF and will be played in my stereo as long as I live.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 3:15:57 AM PST
Working Man says:
Stephen, I agree it's a kind of a joke, but I think they've made some better decisions lately. While they still let in some questionable acts, recent inductions of Iggy Pop, The Faces, Alice Cooper and now Rush is making some amends in my mind.

While there is still a long list of 'real' rock artists not inducted while artists who aren't even rock are still getting in at least some progress is being made. Rush was pretty much the ultimate outsides, they are not now or never were cool. In any case the Hall isn't going to change over night and I am happy for both Rush and Heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 3:33:24 AM PST
RegF says:
I am glad for HEART , as well. Deep Purple , not being in years ago is just crazy. I love RUSH and I am happy for them [because it is good press] but DEEP PURPLE should have been in there before , RUSH. Just like RUSH , should have been in before , METALLICA.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 3:34:07 AM PST
RegF says:
Maybe they are unhappy KISS fans...lol...

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:27:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 10:42:28 AM PST
Exile says:
I think its time we accept that just because its titled "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame", it incorporates all different artists and genres in the field of music. Too many people take the 'rock and roll' part too literally. Blues artists, pop artists...its still rock and roll to me.

Personally I think the hall is finally coming around to certain ignored bands for 2 big reasons:

1) the constant slagging of the hall by the general public and
2) the pool of truly deserving artists is shrinking incredibly fast and they are now forced to look at some great bands they have overlooked in the past, making their omissions all the more noticeable.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 10:12:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 10:13:17 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I can rock with the best of them...Randy Newman has several terrific records and tons of great tunes...his lyrics are as good as others who are often on top of polls...he is excellent in concert, just him at a grand piano with his songs and related stories...his overall work overshadows his few hits by a mile.

Tip: Start with the record Rednecks...unless you are one and then you may be as offended as a vegan listening to Ted Nugent!

Yes, Purple and Tull should be next! Oh yeah KISS too!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:24:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 6:26:45 AM PST
RegF says:
But if you have the arrogance to call something " the rock & roll hall of fame " it strongly suggests that it is real rock & rock history [according to , the American mag. , Rolling Stone Magazine and other Rolling Stone rock & roll history books] you have better make it so that ALL countries can vote. Not just 1 country voting. This HALL could have just been easily placed in , ENGLAND. Right?
The HALL has many critics for many very great reasons. If the mostly American voters don't put in certain bands because they may not like them and / or they are worried about a public back lash then what does that say about this HALL?
Are not these votes and noms. based on the true history of rock and roll?
That is the problem. They are not.

You shouldn't be forced to tell the truth about the real history of rock and roll which WAS NOT solely invented in the U.S. I guess that some Americans can't handle that truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:29:14 AM PST
Exile says:
You make some good points, rf. I guess I just don't care enough about the Hall to get too worked up over it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:23:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 10:28:11 AM PST
RegF says:
Yes. I agree but we are talking about it.

SOOOOOO......

The Moody Blues , Chicago , Kansas , the CARS , BOSTON , the Dobbie Brothers , King Crimson , Yes , ELP , BRYAN ADAMS , Step. Wolf [heavy metal thunder] , the GUESS WHO , DEEP PURPLE , KISS [for concert performances & business] , ect....are certainly much more deserving than Madonna , ABBA and LEONARD COHEN ... oh come on...

You are right. It is just not worth it. 1 poster here , actually suggested that the HALL was running out of people to induct... lol...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:32:16 AM PST
RegF says:
BRYAN ADAMS , is not only better but he has sold far , far more records and HE also has won an Oscar and a Grammy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:49:20 AM PST
Lauren says:
@ r.f. Are you arguing based on sales rather than artistic influence? I agree strongly with some of your choices (Moody Blues, Crimson, Kiss, the Cars), but others in your list were followers rather than leaders. To me that should be the criterion: did the artist in question create something new that changed how we listened to rock and roll?

You're right that Madonna and Abba have no place, but slagging Leonard Cohen? You're just a couple steps away from telling me that Bob Dylan doesn't belong.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 11:18:08 AM PST
Working Man says:
On 12/21, Celebrate 2112. It's International Rush Day.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 10:28:39 AM PST
RegF says:
Cool!!!

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 10:43:49 AM PST
r.f., the hall is running out of people to induct. They've taken to inducting such dubious acts as Rush, Heart, and Donna Summer to sell tickets. The first few classes from the mid-80s to the early 90s pretty much covered it as far as rock 'n' roll goes. With few exceptions, they can stop inducting new members.

As for your suggestions re the Moody Blues, Chicago, Bryan Adams and other non-rock'n'roll acts as being "worthy," it's one of the most unintentionally funny posts ever on these forums. The museum isn't supposed to be about who is the most popular; it's supposed to be about rock 'n' roll.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 10:47:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 3:59:00 PM PST
RegF says:
I love , LEONARD COHEN... His latest album OLD IDEAS , is one of his best ever. He is also one of the greatest Canadian artists ever. However , is he rock and roll?
His fantastic lyrics seem to fit the bill and he did utilizes some electric guitar and some key boards in his music. However , I would just write that bands like DEEP PURPLE [also the other bands] and a lot of U.S. Southern rock bands , like GRAND FUNK RAIL ROAD , should have been in the HALL before , LEONARD COHEN. I just don't see / hear how those many bands followed any one?

BOB DYLAN , is a sure fire ROCK & ROLL HALL inductee. BOB DYLAN , with another great [mostly Canadian band : THE BAND] band changed rock forever with their rock shows at the Albert HALL in , England. When BOB and The Band played those famous concerts , adding electricity to folk , rock changed forever.

The ALBERT HALL may be a better place for any ROCK & ROLL HALL. Many amazing bands [Canadian [RUSH] , American , Australian and English , ect...] have played there.

It also would be nice to have ALL countries vote on who should be in there , don't you think?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions