Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Top Ten Albums Of 2012(So Far)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 24, 2012 9:44:55 AM PDT
Randy says:
I know it's a little early, but I like to start compiling my Year-end Top Ten early.

Here is the first five:

1. AVETT BROTHERS: The Carpenter
2. JUSTIN TOWNES EARLE: Nothing's Going to Change The Way You Feel About Me Now
3. KASEY CHAMBERS & SHANE NICHOLSON: Wreck and Ruin
4. LINCOLN DURHAM: The Shovel vs. The Howling Bones
5. GRETCHEN PETERS: Hello Cruel World

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:51:05 AM PDT
Randy says:
And the second five:

6. FIRST AID KIT: The Lion's Roar
7. PAUL THORN: What the Hell Is Goin on
8. ALABAMA SHAKES: Boys & Girls
9. DWIGHT YOAKAM: 3 Pears
10. PATTERSON HOOD: Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance

Of course, these standings reflect how I feel at this very moment; the list could be significantly different the next time I compile it.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:51:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 9:53:51 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
In no order:
Chris Robinson Brotherhood--The Magic Door
Chris Robinson Brotherhood--Big Moon Ritual
Joe Walsh--Analog Man
Bruuuce--Wrecking Ball
Van Halen--A Different Kind of Truth
Grace Potter--Live at Sun Studios
Grateful Dead--Spring 1990 (Box Set)
Los Lobos--Kiko Live
Ian Hunter--When I'm President
Kiss--Monster

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:54:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 9:58:15 AM PDT
Exile says:
Chris Robinson Brotherhood-Big Moon Ritual
Patterson Hood-Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance
Blackberry Smoke-The Whippoorwill
Mark Knopfler-Privateering
Van Halen-Different Kind of Truth
Smashing Pumpkins-Oceania

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:56:58 AM PDT
Exile says:
I concur with Alabama Shakes and 3 Pears by Yoakam, just didn't think of him as rock.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:59:39 AM PDT
Randy says:
Viva and Exile, I can see I need to get the Chris Robinson album! Aside from that one and the KISS album, I have every studio album on your lists, and could easily have slipped some of them(especially the Mark Knopfler album) onto my list.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:03:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 10:05:40 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I forgot Mark's record too...I'm going to see him open for Dylan...the set has 5 or 6 new ones!
Dylan's was decent but the title track "Tempest" is GREAT all 40 some verses (no chorus)...song of the year in my book!

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 12:59:43 PM PDT
Randy says:
Five Honorable Mentions:

JOHN HIATT: Mystic Pinball
MARK KNOPFLER: Privateering
CHUCK PROPHET: Temple Beautiful
CORB LUND: Cabin Fever
OLD CROW MEDICINE SHOW: Carry Me Back

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:39:23 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I will share my five favorite of 2012. I am saving room on my list for some new discs coming out shortly or ones I have not purchased yet. I hope these will be good enough to join my list.

1. Rush: Clockwork Angels
2. Joe Bonamassa: Driving Toward the Daylight
3. Ian Anderson: Thick as a Brick 2
4. Lynyrd Skynyrd: Last of a Dying Breed
5. Van Halen: Different Kind of Truth

I am looking forward to the release or plan on buying new studio albums from Heart, Black Country Communion, ZZ Top. I think Sabbath is supposed to come out this year and I may get Aerosmith's latest though I have not been too impressed from what I have heard from Aerosmith's new album so far. New albums by Rival Sons and The Answer I may check out too. I sampled Chris Robinson's new albums and I am undecided on them.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:45:49 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
Not a bad year for us old geezers!!!

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:55:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 24, 2012 1:55:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 3:13:14 PM PDT
Music Lover says:
Randy-glad to see someone else out there who enjoys Paul Thorn-kudos!

My favorite so far is Rush-Clockwork Angels-I think it's their best record in 30 years.. The Van Halen is very good too. The ZZ Top is not their best but it has some very good moments.

I keep hearing great things about Dwight Yoakam's 3 pears but have only heard the title track so far

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 5:40:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 5:40:42 AM PDT
Randy says:
RE: Paul Thorn
~~~~~~~~~~~~
ML, I think Thorn is one of the most under-appreciated singer-songwriters around. I love his soulful voice.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 6:35:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 9:07:09 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
My first place vote goes to Boys & Girls by Alabama Shakes, and I would definitely put Jack White's Blunderbuss as a solid 2012 release.

And I haven't heard all of it yet, but I'm fully expecting Gary Clark Jr's Blak and Blu to be a contender for a spot on the list.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 7:31:22 AM PDT
Working Man says:
I heard one of Gary Clark Jrs songs on one of the free discs from Classic Rock Mag. It defintely sounds like it's worth exploring. As for Alabama Shakes, I've read their praises here and a few other places but I just didn't find them my style. Checked them out on YouTube and saw them on Jools Holland and they were okay.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 6:38:24 AM PDT
Randy says:
I need to check out that Gary Clark, Jr. album . . .

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 8:34:47 AM PDT
1. Dwight Yoakam3 Pears
2. Van HalenA Different Kind of Truth
3. DOWNDown IV Part I - The Purple EP
4. Dr. JohnLocked Down
5. Sons of OtisSeismic

Van Halen more or less proved there's only ONE lead singer for that band...seamless, like the DLR Express never left!

DY's new album speaks for itself...easily my top album of the year

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 8:35:47 AM PDT
totally forgot about Gary Clark Jr's album...

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 8:51:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 9:05:59 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
I got the Gary Clark Jr. cd yesterday and have given it a full listen.

Initial impressions:

- some of the guitar work is truly amazing, and I'm not much for jam bands or guitar solos unless they are really spectacular.
- overall sound is solid (band sound, overall playing, production)
- his vocals sound a bit like Paul Rodgers on some of the more rocking stuff, which to me is good and bad: Rodgers has a great voice, but is also not one of the more dynamic singers imo. Same for Clark on this cd.
- the songwriting seems kind of uneven; several good songs, a few that are so-so and 2-3 that I immediately wanted to skip
- he tackles several genres giving the album a kind of jarring, uneven "flow". I like rock, blues, r&b, etc. and have seen artists successfully tackle them all, but a couple of tunes on this album get too close to Lenny Kravitz territory for me (and I'm talking about the lame Lenny Kravitz of the last 10-15 years, not the one that started his career off with several solid albums); just too modern R&B/"pop" sounding on a couple of cuts for my taste

Still pretty good disc overall though. I may go up or down slightly after a few more listens, but for now I'd give it 3 or maybe 3.5 stars, which given how much I liked his EP, is something of a disappointment, but still a pretty good debut. Not good enough to rank it higher than my other 2 favorite albums of 2012 though (Alabama Shakes and Jack White).

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 9:26:27 AM PDT
Mickey Dolenz -Remember - Never one who liked covers , this is something different. The fresh arrangements and super fine vocals make it my favorite of the year. Try it your love it.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 10:56:30 AM PDT
Fischman says:
I'm certain the top half are solid--the bottom half may drop out as I gather more music of the year.

1. Rush -- Clockwork Angels
2. Flying Colors -- Flying Colors
3. Ian Anderson -- Thick as a Brick 2
4. Mike Stern -- All Over the Place
5. The Cult -- Choice of Weapon
6. Lacuna Coil -- Dark Adrenaline
7. Asia -- XXX
8. Squackett (Chris Squire and Steve Hackett) -- A Life in a Day
9. Epica -- Requiem for the Indifferent
10. Joe Bonamassa -- Driving Towards the Daylight

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:31:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2012 5:32:08 AM PDT
Working Man says:
The Prog Collective - Deluxe EditionFlying Colors and Squarkett are interesting, I have not heard either but I would like to check them out. The same goes for Asia, a lot of people has said it's good.

Has anyone heard the "Prog Collective"? Is it any good?

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 5:38:11 AM PDT
Working Man says:
I need to amend my list since I got my copu of the new Black Country Communion cd "Afterglow" this week. It's every bit as good as the first two. I have been playing it non-stop for the past few days and it's very good.

1. Rush: Clockwork Angels
2. Joe Bonamassa: Driving Toward the Daylight
3. Black Country Communion: Afterglow
4. Ian Anderson: Thick as a Brick 2
5. Lynyrd Skynyrd: Last of a Dying Breed
6. Van Halen: Different Kind of Truth

Right now "Afterglow" has moved to #3 but could rise or fall, of course after more listens.

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 9:45:10 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Working Man-I haven;t bought the Prog Collective but I did purchase both Flying Colors and Squackett and I like both very much. I prefer Flying Colors a little more right now but that may change as I listen more

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:17:23 PM PDT
Randy says:
Bump
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  Oct 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions