Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

BOC's Imaginos re-re-release and remix

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2013 11:05:07 PM PST
So, I just accessed Blabbermouth.net and on the 2nd page of news, they announce the REMIX of this album. In light of the remasters box that was released in Nov. of this past year, Imaginos has been slammed for its inferior mix and I've yet to obtain the remaster copy from the box, so my question to other fans would be, is this exciting? The tracklisting is the same as the official version from '88, no bonus tracks.

I was hoping they would also include a few other tracks that didn't make the cut from Albert Bouchard's version of the record, but alas, this isn't the case. On one hand, I'm curious to hear the sound of this as I own the reissue version from the American Beat label(Sony/BMG), but to the other, its disappointing that there's no bonus material offered. Anyhow. Just thought I would post this for some BOC fans..if you're out there, lemme know what you think...

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 10:02:25 AM PST
Music Lover says:
Thirty-Ought Six-thanks for the update and news. I had the original CD and recently got the remasters box set for Christmas and thought it was markedly better so not sure what this new REMIX has to offer but I'm tired of these record companies repackaged and rebranding constantly. I'll stick with what I have for now but let me know if you get it

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:14:14 AM PST
Will do! What do you think of Imaginos itself? Some fans think its the holy grail of Oyster albums, while others think that its an indifferent, or missed opportunity. I go with the latter, in alot of aspects. I did a review of the record on here and you can access my public profile if you'd like to read it.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 12:53:40 PM PST
Music Lover says:
agreed. it has some great moments(Blue Oyster Cult,Del Rio's Song) but overall not my favorite BOC record by far. I did like it better than Club Ninja. Like you said in your review the first 3 and last 3 songs are the best of the record

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2013 5:37:34 AM PDT
does this mean that what's in the remasters box set is the same as what is called imaginos remix 2012? i have the box set because i wanted all the remasters especially imaginos but if it's the same as what is coming out in april then i do not need it.

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 6:07:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2013 6:08:21 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Imaginos is a lost BOC treasure...it seldom gets mentioned.

Mirrors and Unknown Fire could use a remaster too...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 9:20:46 AM PDT
I don't think its from the remasters box set. It looks like its being released under a different label as well(Real Gone Music/Razor & Tie).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 9:33:40 AM PDT
@Viva--"Mirrors and Unknown Fire could use a remaster too... "

Sony has already done this with the comprehensive box set that came out this past November. There's a thread if you access the BOC catalogue and click on the purchasing availability of the 17 disc box. They did it this way to save cost on releasing the remainder of the catalogue separately and avoid losing money in the process. I'd rather purchase Mirrors thru Imaginos ala like the previous earlier 7 remasters with bonus cuts and liner notes too, but with the BIG 3(Sony, Warner Bros and Universal) in corporate takeover for all back catalogue releases from artists like BOC, for example, the philosophy seems to be looking for a quick kill and money grab and that's the motivation behind the 17 disc set to put all the eggs in one basket and not in our best interests, but theirs. That's the way I look at it.

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 10:03:54 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
Imaginos has a very dated sound, muddy, too much reverb. A few great songs ("I Am the One You Warned Me Of" is one of the band's best), but "Astronomy" sung by Buck Dharma just doesn't have the punch of the Eric Bloom version. The album as a whole just doesn't hold a candle to Secret Treaties, Fire of Unknown Origin, Agents of Fortune, or even Spectres.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 2:14:28 PM PDT
The main problem with Imaginos is that its got way too many session players and its the most pieced together record ever in their catalogue. Albert and Sandy worked on this piece, then had a falling out, Columbia rejected Albert's version of the record, Pearlman pitched the idea to Eric and Buck to add their vocals in place of Al's, what was left of BOC were bound by the record company to produce one more studio album, Pearlman needed to pay costs for the potential loss in studio time when Al's version was shelved and basically, that's Imaginos in a nutshell. I think the opening 3 cuts and the final 3 cuts are interesting, and at times, powerful songs, but as a whole, it doesn't really succeed in its intents to be a solid Cult record.

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 7:26:01 PM PDT
Listened to it on You Tube. I've never heard of the record before. Great cover art. The album is very 80's in sound and production with that BOC thing trying to get through.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2013 8:13:02 AM PDT
You can access more background info on the construction of the concept of the record on wikipedia. Just google Imaginos Blue Oyster Cult and it should direct you to the comprehensive story behind it. The record is an abridged version of the unrealized concept it was originally intended to be. Its really Sandy Pearlman's baby and alot of BOC's songs over the years, popped up on scattered releases which were loosely associated with the story itself. Its truly a failed concept, imo.

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 8:55:27 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
When are popular musicians going to realize that nobody cares about "the story"? They're making music, not films, not novels. Nobody ever asked who "the lady" in "Stairway to Heaven" really was and how "to be a rock and not to roll" relates to that. When I listen to "Astronomy", I don't link it to any other parts of that whole Imaginos nonsense.

Posted on Apr 17, 2013 8:24:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2013 8:27:53 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
30-6
I won't argue that point...box set or die!
Eric and Buck should use some "pull" to fix that crap!

Buck: Hi I'm Buck Darhma from Blue Oyster Cult.
Sony: Buck who?
Eric: And I'm Eric.
Sony: Clapton? Hey you look different since you stopped smack! You even gotta little color in your face.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions