Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Steely Dan: A different kind of game

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 23, 2013 5:04:08 AM PST
Ray Wilson says:
2vN is an outstanding album, Rav. Dupree was the one that got some radio play back in the day, but it's come to be about my least favorite...not because I don't like it, but because the others are just so strong. "Almost Gothic" is the one that pushes me to an alternate plane of existence...nothing else matters when that song starts. "West of Hollywood" is a great Steely Dan song too. I envy you the experience of hearing these songs for the first time.

I don't find "Everything Must Go" quite as strong, but it's still Steely Dan and has a vibe that only they can provide. Pixeleen and Lunch With Gina are my personal favorites. Be careful; you'll find a Walter vocal buried smack dab in the middle of this album. Have fun!

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 4:50:08 AM PST
ravager814 says:
Hey I just wanted to follow up on something to do with Steely Dan. I really started listening to Two Against Nature, and I have to say, I really like that album. Yes it sounds more Gaucho than Katy Lied, but songs like Negative Girl, Gaslighting Abby, Janie Runaway, and (most definitely) Cousin Dupree, really has me smiling. I have a used CD/DVD of Everything Must Go coming, sometime this week. I've heard I won't like it, but I heard that about 2vN as well, and I have to say that the naysayers are wrong, Wrong, WRONG! : )

Plus I just might miss you guys... Rav

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 5:35:56 AM PST
take403 says:
Here's a few faves of mine. A lot of songs I. Just discovered through this game.

Deacon Blues
My Old School
Any Major Dude
Aja
Everyone's Gone to the Movies
Reelin' in the Years
FM
Josie
Do It Again

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 4:54:06 PM PST
Lew Archer says:
Here's a fast & loose Top 20 for the whole thing:

1) Deacon Blues
2) Babylon Sisters
3) Do It Again
4) Bad Sneakers
5) Black Cow
6) Pretzel Logic
7) Kid Charlemagne
8) Time Out of Mind
9) King of the World
10) Aja
11) Show Biz Kids
12) Razor Boy
13) Reelin' in the Years
14) Rikki Don't Lose That Number
15) Here at the Western World
16) Rose Darling
17) Your Gold Teeth
18) Any Major Dude
19) Doctor Wu
20) The Caves of Altamira

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 12:03:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2013 12:03:46 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
For comparison, here's the final *official* game finish:

1. Deacon Blues - 80
2. Doctor Wu - 67
3(t). Any Major Dude - 66
3(t). My Old School - 66
5(t). Don't Take Me Alive - 56
5(t). Kid Charlemagne - 56
7. The Royal Scam - 50
8. Bodhisattva - 49
9. Rose Darling - 48
10. Reelin' in the Years - 41
11. Rikki Don't Lose That Number - 28
12. Bad Sneakers - 17

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 11:58:07 AM PST
Captain Ogre says:
I guess take403 isn't going to chime in with a ranking, though I imagine he would have given "My Old School" its sole #1 vote

The weighted system allowed for a lot of movement with each vote. For example, Deacon Blues was in 1st before Dan's vote, which dropped it to 4th, and then ravager moved it back up to #2

Scoring 12 points for 1st, 11 for 2nd, etc., here's how the rankings shaped up
Song titles are followed by total points and (1st place votes)

1. Any Major Dude - 83 (2)
2. Deacon Blues - 82 (4)
3. Reelin' in the Years - 79.5 (0)
4. Doctor Wu - 78 (2)
5. My Old School - 77 (0)
6. Kid Charlemagne - 76 (0)
7. The Royal Scam - 72.5 (0)
8. Rikki Don't Lose That Number - 68.5 (1)
9. Don't Take Me Alive - 65 (1)
10. Bodhisattva - 64.5 (1)
11. Rose Darling - 59 (0)
12. Bad Sneakers - 53 (0)

Reelin' made the most significant move up, from #10 in the game to #3 by weighted vote

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:40:18 AM PST
ravager814 says:
Hey sorry...life got in the way!

1. Deacon Blues - just takes me back to high school, listening to side one of Aja, over and over again. Nearly an 8 minute song that never feels long to me. Love it.
2. Dr. Wu - I'm surprised how much I like this song now, because I used to think it was silly
3. Don't Take Me Alive - great imagery
4. Reelin' In The Years
5. Bodhisattva
6. Kid Charlamagne
7. Any Major Dude
8. Rikki Don't Lose That Number
9. The Royal Scam
10. Bad Sneakers
11. My Old School
12. Rose Darling

None of these songs are bad...not even close. This final ranking is very hard, except my top 4 are solid favorites. 5-10 are easily interchangeable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 7:06:30 PM PST
Lew Archer says:
But if you wanted to see another song win, then you'd want "Deacon" out of the way!

That's why I'm thinking a better than average tune would prevail would prevail, but it wouldn't be a top line favorite.

Anyways, it's an idea. And anyone who has thoughts on how to tighten the concept up (+1/-3?; ONLY neggie votes?) should fell free to submit them. And maybe another not-so-recently used band would be better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:56:18 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
Lew,

That could be interesting. Don't know if you can keep the interest up after two Dan games in a row, though.
But you can count me in as long as there are enough participants to make it worth while

BTW, there are a hell of a lot more songs I would neg before Deacon Blues

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:29:11 PM PST
Lew Archer says:
Oh, the irony!

Ya know, it could be fun to continue using The Danster for a different style of game.

I was thinking of something that would use (GASP!!) neggie votes, and the purpose of the game would be to see which song would be left.

If this sounds familiar, the difference I'm suggesting here is that the aim would be to get rid of any songs that you think would be a threat to "winning" that you didn't want to see win. The idea is based loosely on the idea of submitting "secret ballots" up front to try and determine what song might "really" win the game if it wasn't constantly ebbing and flowing the way it inevitably does.

What we would likely end up with is a "B" or "B+" type song that everyone generally likes, insofar as it was the song folks LEAST wanted to see "picked on". I also thought that a new voting style might be good to test run on a recently concluded group.

If they're any takers here for something like that, speak now, or forever hold your peace.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:25:06 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
Great analogy, Rand

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 5:49:34 PM PST
Hate? That's like asking someone to list their top ten favorite songs of all time and asking why they hate the song they list at number 10. Like you said, it's relative.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 5:38:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 5:38:47 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
Deacon Blues got the most 1st place votes (3) and tied for most last place (2)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 3:45:29 PM PST
Lew Archer says:
I used the term "hater" in a relative sense for the couple of voters who listed "Deacon" at the bottom of their rankings.

Just a little funnin' for those who OBVIOUSLY would have prefered to see a different tune at the top!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 3:33:43 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 3, 2013 3:45:57 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:58:21 AM PST
Ray Wilson says:
Check out "Slang of Ages" on the last album, Dan. Walter vocals are usually enough to spoil a song for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:54:37 AM PST
Lew,

For the record, I do not hate Deacon Blues. I can't think of a single Dan song that I really dislike.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:32:14 AM PST
Ray Wilson says:
Hey, where's Ravager? Wasn't he one of the prime drivers for this final SD death throe? We need your input Rav! "Take" is still MIA, too, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 6:08:09 AM PST
Ray Wilson says:
I hate what the interweb has done to the word "hater." But I'm sure you know there aren't a lot of actual Deacon...or Rikki...or Sneakers..."haters" on a SD fan thread, Lew.

Anyway, even by these lofty standards Deacon was pretty high on most people's lists until the last couple voters. I'd say Bodhisattva has the most interesting distribution here. People tend to vote it either top 4, or 11/12. For a band that means to upset the apple cart a little like SD, you could argue that makes Bodhisattva the most important song on this list. Deacon Blues looks a little more interesting to me when a couple people clobber it in their votes.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 9:18:09 PM PST
Lew Archer says:
I'm absolutely LOVIN' all the "Deacon" haters!

HAHAHAHAAHA!!!!

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 6:39:18 PM PST
Dan's rankings,

1. Rikki don't lose that number, it's the only one you want...
2. Rose Darling
3. My Old School
4. Any Major Dude
5. Bodhisattva
6. Reelin' In The Years
7. The Royal Scam
8. Dr. Wu
9. Kid Charlemagne
10. Don't Take Me Alive
11. Bad Sneakers
12. Deacon Blues

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:10:54 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
Nine of us have ranked the final 12 songs, and 11 of them got at least one 1st or 2nd place vote.

Nine songs got at least one 11th or 12th place vote

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:05:16 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
CD Lover,

Thanks, I had fun, and you all made it such. It's kind of bittersweet to see it end

I work with and create spreadsheets every day, so keeping stats is second nature to me

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 1:08:57 PM PST
My ranking of the final 12

1. Bodhisattva
2. Kid Charlemagne
3. My Old School
4. Rikki
5. Dr. Wu
6. Reelin' In The Years
7. Don't Take Me Alive
8. Any Major Dude
9. Bad Sneakers
10. Rose
11. The Royal Scam
12. Deacon Blues

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 9:38:49 AM PST
My ranking of the final 12

1. Deacon Blues
2. My Old School
3. Reelin In The Years
4. Rikki
5. Any Major Dude
6. The Royal Scam
7. Don't Take Me Alive
8. Kid
9. Bad Sneakers
10.Rose
11.Bodhisattva
12. Wu
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 47 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  1153
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions