Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

laser turntable

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 7:37:37 AM PST
Why hasn't anybody made an affordable laser turntable?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:45:49 AM PST
The ELP laser turntable is way out of reach for the average consumer plus I read where it is a hassle dealing with them ie you send them your money and you wait( and wait and wait) for the product to arrive from Japan. Seems like it would be possible for a company to mass produce one.When CD player came out they were expensive then the price dropped. Why isn't there one on the market yet with an affordable price?

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 12:13:04 PM PST
So, your post got me to the ELP website. Pretty interesting stuff. Basically handmade. Seems the market for it is just not big enough to mass produce. And when you read up on it they had the chance to but no company took the plunge. I'd love to hear one. Really cool idea. Seems like you have to make sure there is absolutely no dust on the record and it had to be totally clean. Which could be a practical problem. But Keith Jarrett dug the sound, that was a pretty cool endorsement.

The Japanese manufacturers explanation of digital and analogue sound difference as just apples and oranges was pretty cool too.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:59:38 PM PST
I think the dust/clean is easy to fix with a VPI machine. With vinyl sales increasing there may be a bigger market than the previous decade.I think there needs to lower priced option on the market place.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:57:02 AM PST
That would be great Christopher. Did you peruse the website and the wiki detail on the product?

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:47:57 AM PST
bozokarl says:
I'd love to have one but $16,000 is ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:50:24 AM PST
yeah I checked out both

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:52:32 AM PST
Yeah that is my point. Really to get all the bells and whistles with the add-0ns price is closer to 20K

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:19:25 AM PST
Exile says:
I was checking these out a few years ago but like everyone has said, there is just no way the average person would spend that much on a turntable. I wonder how many of these things they have sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:51:14 PM PST
Exile according to elp website 1800 have been sold. Not a lot but that is due to the price.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:19:51 PM PST
Let me elaborate my point with advance improvements in technology making established products less expensive while still making improvements it seems the laser ,computer electronic and software came be combined into an affordable consumer electronic.Does it really take 17 grand to get 4 lasers to read a piece of vinyl ? Should a few extra hundred dollars be charged just so I can listen to a 10"? Heck the basic ELP turntable has to read 12" and 7" anyway. If HD audio is the standard why charge more for a feature that is compatible with existing products?The makers are just inflating the price.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2013 5:37:05 PM PDT
Rochman says:
I'd settle for a good semi auto turntable. No one makes one that's any good anymore. That went out the door when Technics stopped making turntables.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 11:43:45 PM PDT
Captain Kirk says:
I'd love to have one too, even if it can't read any of the colored vinyl that I own. However, that does bring to mind an important question: Can it read picture discs?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2013 12:15:05 PM PDT
Reads only Black Vinyl.

Posted on Jul 14, 2013 6:24:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2013 6:26:13 AM PDT
John Savino says:
With the ELP I heard the demo and you still hear the pops & clicks...not good I have an idea for a product like this. I can't wait for one I can afford because I have alot of records I would like to transfer perfectly
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions