Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

The Led Zeppelin Discography Breakdown Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 890 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:59:37 AM PST
Is that engraved on the inner lip of your LZIII LP?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:02:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 12:03:45 PM PST
Exile says:
That is an example of why it's enjoyable to do these sorts of threads. Everyone listens for and picks out certain things when they listen. I can't say I paid very much attention to the bassline. Sometimes I do, sometimes not. I'll have to relisten.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 12:06:44 PM PST
Exile says:
I gotta say, this Zep boxset was issued in 1993 and sounds incredible. Remember the days when you could actually turn up the volume on your home stereo and it sounded even better? That's this box.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:07:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 12:07:50 PM PST
Led Zep III wasn't really as influenced by Pages Crowley fascinations as much as what was to come would be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:10:41 PM PST
Is that the one with all the Japanese mini-lps including all the alternative sleeves?

I've got that box.

It's a must for any Zep enthusiast.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:13:23 PM PST
Exile says:
No, this one..
The Complete Studio Recordings

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:18:32 PM PST
Which leads us to...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/pop/ref=cm_cd_search_res_rm?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3U4VU9LZIWOFY&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxR8VHI3FALTSM#MxYQUVA6AFJPWS

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 12:19:15 PM PST
Exile says:
Ok, I meant to play one song but am now playing Zep III in it's entirety. A few things I had wanted to mention earlier but didn't...Does anyone else feel the drums on "Since I've Been Loving You" could or should have been a little softer early on in the song allowing it to build a little more? They just seem too loud for the song.

Also, I don't think it's a great song, just OK, but the ending part on "Tiles" is pretty cool, that riff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:27:56 PM PST
@Spiritual Architect: "And to Make Topper feel better, I would give Fireball, Who Do We Think We Are and Stormbringer 2 stars too."

Except that I (relatively) liked "Fireball", LOL. I haven't heard "Stormbringer" yet.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 12:39:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 12:40:04 PM PST
Exile says:
I just realized the track listing for the box on Amazon is incomplete. My "Coda" contains 4 bonus tracks, "Baby Come on Home", "Travelling Riverside Blues", "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" and "Hey Hey What Can I Do".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:41:28 PM PST
I always thought "Travelling Riverside Blues" would have been a much better track than "The Lemon Song".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:42:49 PM PST
I think it's a great song, but then again, I'm not a blues enthusiast, so I can't say how well it works with the traditional context. I don't think the drums are too loud myself, but they were certainly miked really really close. Either that, or Bonham didn't believe in oiling his kick pedal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:43:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 12:47:57 PM PST
That Bonham hey?

Allways was a bit of a tub thumper.

When it was time to let rip, all shackles were released and he couldn't help himself.

He lets rip.

Vale Bonzo.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:45:04 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 4, 2013 1:08:02 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:45:22 PM PST
Agreed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:46:31 PM PST
Great discoveries, hey?

I really like "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" although it does go on.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 12:47:19 PM PST
OTOH, while "Fireball" is my favorite DP MK II album, it's still not as good IMO as *any* of LZ's albums, even "Presence" and "Out Door" (OK, it might be on a par with "Presence"). And I already had my umbrella up for the "Reviews From A Hater" thread so I'm used to it. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:47:54 PM PST
Exile says:
LMAO!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:53:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 12:58:20 PM PST
@Buck Buckaw: The Yardbirds' version of "White Summer" is the definitive one, IMO. Very beautiful, and one of the few worthy cuts on their only studio album cut with Page, 1967's "Little Games" (a few others I like on the album include the trippy "Glimpses" and folky "Only The Black Rose". "Tinker Tailor" also features some nice bowed guitar work). As for the rest, blame Mickie Most for thinking the mighty Yardbirds were supposed to be a pop group. This is what that group were actually capable of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHNL5_2LspE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_DpMWXBQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ADahBrxjWc (for fans of LZ's debut!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 1:02:10 PM PST
Is that before DP? Can they take credit for that style in any way?

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 1:06:27 PM PST
@David K.Myers: ROTFL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 1:10:39 PM PST
Thought you'd like that.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 1:21:33 PM PST
As usual I'm going to be in the minority but, I love Led Zeppelin 1 because of all the blues songs. I love blues played by hard rock guitarists like Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, Michael Schenker, Jimi Hendrix, Tony Iommi etc. more than actual blues guitarists. Zep III is not one of my favorite Zep albums cuz I like the rockers more than the acoustic/slow songs. Since Ive Been Loving You is the best song on the album and in my Top 10 Zep songs. I love Lemon Song and Bring It On Home on Zep II. Here's how I rate Zep albums-
1. Physical Graffiti-A
2. IV-A
3. I-A
4. II-A-
5. Presence-A-
6. Houses Of The Holy-C
7. III-C
8. In Thru The Outdoor-F

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 1:29:59 PM PST
@McNary: "I love blues played by hard rock guitarists like Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, Michael Schenker, Jimi Hendrix, Tony Iommi etc. more than actual blues guitarists."

I agree with you here, even if I disagree about "III" and "Houses" (although your ratings make perfect sense given your dislike of the slow/acoustic numbers).

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 1:34:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 2:57:50 PM PST
zlh67 says:
I'm with ya on the debut, McNary. I got turned on to Zep by my older brothers mainly through the Song Remains the Same movie and soundtrack album, but when I went out on my own and bought the back catalog, the debut was the one that first blew me away start to finish. I think that and Physical are my two favorites to this day and in fact I'd rate Zep I even ahead of IV.

1. Phys Graf - A+
2. Debut - A+
3. Zep II - A-
4. Zep IV - B+
5. Houses - B+
6. Presence - B
7. III / In Thru (tie) - C
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  890
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions