Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Bands That belong In The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame That are not there yet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 239 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2009 11:05:18 PM PDT
Who belongs will always be a question. It has always amazed me that The Mamas and the Papas made it but their contemporary from Alexandria, Tim Rose did not. Tim was always more talented then any of the people he played with. But then again, even though Tim was a great influence on Jimi Hendrix and many great English singers, he never had a hit. AS he said, "I was a f..king legend but no one knew it". So lets argue about who belongs. I put my money on Johnny Burnette or Dale Hawkins.

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 3:48:29 AM PDT
The Smiths aren't in there yet right?

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 6:47:46 AM PDT
Blue Gene says:
Mott The Hoople, Foghat, Alice Cooper, Heart, Roxy Music. Madonna Was Inducted Over This Array Of Talent?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2009 11:07:12 AM PDT
Diamond Dave says:
vote your favorite band in here:

http://www.rateitall.com/t-2529-deserving-of-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame.aspx?&p=0&s=1

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2009 7:08:26 PM PDT
Dark Horse says:
I totally agree, Diamond Dave! Schaffer & members of his band were heavily influenced by PR&TR. The Raiders "played" on their early albums, barely utilizing (if any) session people like some other popular groups at that time. Their records sold millions, and had sellout concerts! And it is has been told by Phil Volk himself that Drake Levin inspired Jimi Hendrix to play guitar behind his back when Hendrix caught one of their shows in the early sixties. Levin was a gifted guitarist and will be missed. RIP to him & Smitty (their drummer). Wish they could've seen themselves inducted. This band deserves consideration regardless of Wenner's prejudices!

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 3:09:28 AM PDT
jblyn says:
Way I see it, NOT being inducted into the RRHOF should be worn as a badge of honor!

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 10:57:02 AM PDT
S. Figlo says:
Cheap Trick. Think they're already in? Think again.

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 10:59:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 8, 2009 10:59:35 AM PDT
Diamond Dave says:
SQueeZE
nick lowe
dave edmunds
smithereens
guess who

Posted on Oct 13, 2009 2:54:37 PM PDT
Woodshed says:
Small Faces

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 1:49:18 AM PDT
Johnny C says:
Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes
Chicago
Procol Harum
Faces
The Searchers
The Turtles
The Monkees
The Moody Blues

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2009 7:00:40 AM PDT
Diamond Dave says:
nice to see SSJ&TAD mentioned with the immortals.

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 1:04:23 PM PDT
Woodshed says:
I agree about Procol Harum and the Searchers.

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 10:55:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2009 10:59:17 PM PDT
Jevrick says:
Fleetwood Mac is already in the HOF, including all members from the beginning with the unfortunate exception of Bob Welch, who was intentionally left out by Mick Fleetwood because Welch sued the band for back royalties and won.

Does anybody know what is the criteria for getting in? I think an equal amount of cultural significance along with a certain amount of commercial success should determine it. That would explain why Madonna is in, although I don't necessarily agree with that decision. That would rule out Heart, who blew their credibility away when they sold out in the mid 80s. That would rule out Big Star too, who should have never had the nerve to call themselves "Big Star" in the first place. Roxy Music should be in but they haven't had as big an impact in the States as in the EU.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2009 3:13:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2009 3:14:44 PM PDT
And what would be the basis for Iron Butterfly, being the stupidest band in the world for passing on Woodstock or having the single most boring song in the history of recorded music

Posted on Oct 16, 2009 3:38:32 PM PDT
Woodshed says:
Iron Butterfly may be the stupidest band in the world and then again they not be. It's a good thing we all have you to let us know.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2009 5:00:42 PM PDT
Diamond Dave says:
I-Ron Butterfly:
Maybe inagaddadavida but not inarockhalloffame.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 7:39:58 AM PDT
Cheap Trick. Unquestionably, they take the cake. The most underrated band in the history of rock 'n roll. Masters of power pop with one of the greatest singers ever (Robin Zander).

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 10:09:09 AM PDT
I. Wazdere says:
Tower of Power.
But not as long as Jan Weenie and Dave Marsh(mellow) are in charge of the Politically Correct R&R Hall of Shame! Patty Smith? Wanda Jackson? Miles Davis?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 10:17:15 AM PDT
Diamond Dave says:
I. Wazdere

You hit the head on the nail.

What is jazz trumpeting legend Miles Davis doing in Jan's ROCK & ROLL HALL?

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 10:31:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 21, 2009 5:16:57 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 10:31:51 AM PDT
P. R. Blay says:
Tommy Shaw (Styx, solo, Shaw/Blades, Damn Yankees, wrote songs for Aerosmith, Journey, Night Ranger, Alice Cooper, etc..., started, organized and put together Rock to the Rescue.....)

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 11:45:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2009 11:50:42 AM PDT
Woodshed says:
T-Rex
Lou Reed
Ike Turner
Clyde McPhatter
Todd Rundgren

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 4:54:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2009 6:47:51 PM PDT
Hi, Everybody! Cheap Trick is not "the most underrated band in the history of rock 'n' roll." There are many, many others. For examples, read some of the other posts on these forums. Anyway, I absolutely love Cheap Trick's good and great music--however, they have soiled themselves numerous times over the past 30 years. 30 Years!! Fantastic! Four or all five of their early albums are a blast! Plus Budokan! After that, they basically tanked. Sure, they supposedly have had 3 or 4 really good/great ones since then, and I've heard some bits and pieces of them (would love to hear more)--but come on, four fine albums in 30 years! Just check out the "Silver" video to see what I mean. Some of the stuff is really hot and some of it just isn't. IMHO. Honestly. Anyway, glad to see that you like some really good stuff, Robert. But it's not all gold. Example: Monkees-Pisces, Aquarious, Capricorn and Jones, Ltd. Excellent! The Birds, the Bees and the Monkees and Headquarters--both problematic. There are many good songs on each, but overall, they're nowhere near as fine as Pisces.... Do you like the Kinks, Move ,Pretty Things, Small Faces,Zombies, Easybeats, Badfinger and Spirit? If you're not intimately familiar with their discographies...go for it! If you are, wonderful! There's tons of cool stuff out there! Those bands are just a few of the '60's/early '70 lesser known bands I personally enjoy (besides the "Big Ones"--Beatles, Rolling Stones, Who, Doors...). There are lots more! Anyway, Have a good one! Take Care and Rock On. Pat. P.S. See above Post.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 6:24:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2009 6:31:14 PM PDT
Thank You, Robert! I just noticed you've listed Nick Lowe-Jesus of Cool on your "only 10" list. Excellent!! See what I mean? There's tons of great stuff out there! It's totally cool, with or without Bonus Tracks (much better with, though) and either original U.S. or U.K. release [title: pure pop for now people in U.S.] XTC has a number of really fine lps, too--including (aka The Dukes of Stratosphear--Chips from the Chocolate Fireball--a 16 track compilation of 25 O'Clock/Psonic Psunspot--which are now available individually with Bonus Tracks. Check 'Em Out, especially Psonic Psunspot, if you like '67-era Beatles/Hollies/Pink Floyd/Beach Boys stuff! Sincerely, Pat. P.S. So little time and money--so much great stuff!

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 8:08:52 PM PDT
Patrick,

In regards to your comments on Cheap Trick, try giving a listen to their second-to-last album entitled 'Rockford' and let me know what you think. I think it is easily one of the two or three best power pop albums I've ever heard, and EASILY Cheap Trick's best album yet. I'm not joking !!! And as I've said, lead singer Robin Zander....God, the vocal pipes on that man never cease to amaze me ! What a range !! He really is every band's dream lead singer because there's no material he can't tackle !!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  97
Total posts:  239
Initial post:  Jul 7, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions