Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Best AC/DC Song Game 1974-1979

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 2, 2013 8:51:09 AM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Ghost - thanks for your response. I can certainly understand your irritation with poseurs, especially regarding an artist you are passionate about. I consider AC/DC my favorite band and I'm ready to stick up for any of their albums or songs if I feel they are quality efforts, whether they were hits or deep cuts.

I hope you feel welcome to particpate in any other games I've started and provide your opinions about the choices involved. I may whine if you vote against any of my favorites, but I'll try to keep the sarcasm at a minimum.

Posted on May 2, 2013 7:58:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2013 8:07:23 AM PDT
T. Boyle,

Thanks for offering an olive branch and taking the high road - I really enjoyed your response.

I won't go into the specifics of my relationship with hard rock and heavy metal (it's been a pretty extensive relationship for more than a few decades now), but I admittedly have issues with topics such as sellout ,the obnoxious antics of FM radio programming, and people who would wear a Motorhead t-shirt without knowing any Motorhead albums. Add in the ambiguity of cyberspace and a bad day and words can be taken the wrong way. I read your post and it pressed some of my hot buttons. It sounded like you were patronizing; but that's just the way I chose to read it.

I mean, if we look at my rant, I guess it wouldn't even really apply to Scott-era AC/DC - because there are only handful of tunes that might be recognized by the public at large, and there were no 'sellout' tunes from that era IMO. A lot of the surface fans I bitched about don't even really know there were two different singers. So if we are only talking about the '74-'79 period (as the threads intends), I would rate nearly the entire catalog as 'deep cuts' relative to surface fans who only think 'Back in Black' is an AC/DC debut. But for people who voted on this thread, I guess none of the tracks are really deep.

I came into this thread disgusted by some of the results I saw on the VH and Aerosmith games threads - why people were voting for some of those songs was beyond me, and it precluded me even participating. I was happy with the results here. I'm a retired 80's guitar player who used to tour around and hammer audiences with songs by 70's AC/DC (and many more) - I've got a lot of respect for those tunes. 'Overdose' is one of my all time faves of theirs. I think their most underrated is 'Soul Stripper'.

Note: I've got plenty of 'guilty pleasure' dreck lingering in my house. I'm nostalgic, but I don't let the dreck stop me from digging deeper to fully understand the more credible efforts put forth by bands.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 9:26:23 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Ghost: I certainly don't feel more "important" because I was playing in some insignificant online game and you didn't. I wish you had felt more welcome to have played in this game and had provided your own opinion regarding what you feel are the best AC/DC songs from this era. If your opinion of "Best Songs" games is such that you don't like to participate, then that's fine too.

The intent of my original response was to relay my frustration about those who bash the most popular songs because they are overplayed. I can understand why those people don't rush out to listen to them yet again, but I don't feel that it's reasonable to classify them as inferior quality songs based solely on the fact that they've heard them too many times. If I've unfairly lumped you in that category, then I apologize.

I do feel that there is value in a song that is catchy and has a enjoyable hook, which makes me believe that I would not always agree with your description of "dreck that was originally released to pander". It seems by that statement (knowing very little about what music you DO appreciate) describes where you and I differ in our musical tastes. I will attempt to describe why I seem to not only tolerate, but enjoy hits that you would consider "dreck".

Earlier in this game, I was surprised that a couple of voters were supporting "Rock & Roll Damnation" religiously and I asked why that was. The response was that the first AC/DC album they both bought was Powerage and were significantly impacted by that album. They made the statement that often times a person's favorite album by an artist is the first one they hear, and I tend to agree with that. But in my case, I wasn't able to buy many albums growing up, so the first songs I would hear by an artist would be the songs played on the radio. I believe that's why I often have a soft spot in my heart for the most "popular" songs (but not always). In fact, I probably wouldn't have tried to get to know the artist's music more if I didn't. Does that mean that I don't recognize the quality of the deeper cuts? No - after I eventually filled in their catalogue, I would invariably find many gems that rivaled my initial favorites. But that doesn't diminish my appreciation for the hits.

For example, I'll always think that "Overdose" is one of the most under-appreciated AC/DC songs and a favorite of mine, and I would consider that a deep cut. However, I still feel that "Let There Be Rock", "Highway To Hell", and "Whole Lotta Rosie" are among the most epic, killer songs of all time, despite how many times I've heard them.

BTW: "Sin City" is also a monster track and even though I like others better, I am fine with it winning this game.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 7:15:44 PM PDT
oh,and kudo's once again to ghost for his latest post as well, glad someone else has noticed boyles "tone" towards people and how he acts like a victim and all nice and crap when he is the one that is instigating it...

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 7:12:07 PM PDT
sounds like you're the one doing the threatening their daniel, not fact if you paid attention you would have noticed all but the last line was aimed at boyle, not you...and in that line towards you all i said was to hear more of what you had to say as well....

nothing threatening there at all....and neither was anything in my post before that where exactly am i threatening you, huh??

in fact, if anything, you would be the one that's acting like a tough guy and the one doing the threatening, especially in the last line or two there...nice, real nice and classy as usual coming from you...

once again, i have wasted too much time dealing with fools on can keep on talking, but you're not going to get me all fired up anymore, nor will i waste more time arguing with you...cause that's all it is, is just wasted's pointless trying to talk to the majority of you on here...

at least there's a few people on here i can handle and that i can talk to, and have been nice to me...glad they are still around at least...

have fun in your future life(s) dan and boyle...

Posted on May 1, 2013 3:46:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2013 4:01:28 PM PDT
Well, for the record, I came to this thread and complimented the results and got 'rewarded' with a smarmy self-important response that accused me of not really understanding AC/DC's catalog, or knowing the difference between the value of deep cuts or commercial hits (they both have strengths and weaknesses). If that's your idea of a 'conversation', what would possibly make you think I would participate on those terms? Because you're such a special master and I'm just a puppy? You have no idea what my knowledge or history with the band actually is, or where my level of rock knowledge exists in general. I've known plenty of people who "like Led Zeppelin a lot - HE has really awesome songs." Plenty of those same people know exactly who AC/DC is as well, but have no idea that an album called 'Powerage' exists, let alone can name a song from it ('Sin City'). Quit trying to act like you were being such a gentlemen when you were actually being kind of a passive aggressive prick. You started it, so quit whinin' when it comes back to bite you.

"A lot of times, the most popular songs are popular for a reason: they are often more enjoyable to listen to".

REALLY???? I ever stoopid for overlooking the obvious. In reality, most 'popular' songs from bands in AC/DC's league (Van Halen, etc) are overplayed dreck that was originally released to pander to soccer moms and other 'non' fans, while the rest of the bands catalog lies forever dormant to them - they're popular and NOT enjoyable. It's not an isolated incident by any stretch of the imagination, and people will gladly vote for those songs without even having a clue what else they're missing. I was addressing those people, not you. If I read too much into your words, I apologize...but I don't know you well enough to mine the intent of your words. To to me it just reads like you've built up a lot of false confidence over the course of the thread, and feel justified talking down to those who don't post what you want to hear (your 'quote' is a sweeping generality that masks itself as fact; thereby insulting anyone who holds a different assessment). I respect all opinions, even yours, but state your opinions and drop the jabs in the future. Engage me like a knowledgeable adult and I'll GLADLY return the favor.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 3:05:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2013 3:10:10 PM PDT
Listen to his albums, Animal. Right back at you on the fun pal. You don't make these games fun for me either. Who made you boss and gave you the impression that the songs that you like are the right ones and the ones that other people like are the wrong ones? Opinions! We all have them and they are not supposed to make sense to other people because they are ours and they are different! Have I ever once complained about the songs that you vote for? NO, I have not! Your always crying about what everyone else is doing. Put a sock in it, Animal. You are the spoiler pal, not me! Stalker, I don't hide behind a fake name like Mechanical Animal, I am Dan White. Hilarious! Just read your last message. You think your a tough guy? Are you threatening me? You have no clue who I am and what I am capable of yet you are stupid enough to threaten me? I pity the fool...

Posted on May 1, 2013 2:52:12 PM PDT
oh would you quit acting like such a victim here??? my god! if you wanna talk about why you and others almost always vote for the hits and then vote against some of the best deep cuts from most bands, then go for it, and explain why you almost always vote for the hits only....let's hear what you have to say....

just say it already, and quit acting like that man..."i was hoping to have a discusscion about music....i guess this isn't the correct venue to discus music"

you know this is of course a fine place to discuss music, so just quit acting like that and just say what you want to say.

come on, what is it that you have to say here buddy??

and dan, since you had to bring yourself into a discussion that you weren't even a part of, let's hear more of what you have to say as well....

come on you two, speak up!

Posted on May 1, 2013 2:42:37 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Wow, Ghost and Animal - I sure rubbed you both the wrong way! I was hoping to have a discussion about music - especially the reverse-bias that I often read regarding admittedly overplayed songs from Classic Rock forum participants. I was curious to learn your sides of that story, but I guess this isn't the correct venue to discuss music.

Posted on May 1, 2013 2:16:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2013 2:18:53 PM PDT
dan, dan, we go again with you huh? perhaps ghost and i may seem "disrespectful" as you put it, but you and boyle have been two of the most annoying people i have ever dealt with in the years i have spent on these forums here on amazon...everytime i go to play a game and i see either one of your names participating...then there goes the fun of the game right there for me...
have fun voting for the "hits" or more popular songs on all the games you two play...

oh, and how is Meade Skelton lately?? seems as though you're a huge fan of his or something...or perhaps a stalker of his...what did this Meade Skelton do to you for you to be attacking feedback on his albums anyways??

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 11:48:07 AM PDT
While Boyle disagreed with your post, he was respectful with his post. You however have been disrespectful. Lump Animal in there with you as he is cheerleading your post. I am not a jerk and neither is Boyle. Have a nice day...

Posted on May 1, 2013 10:06:26 AM PDT

hahahaha, nice one!!

Posted on May 1, 2013 9:58:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2013 10:07:54 AM PDT
Popular does not automatically equal good or more enjoyable - it could also simply mean most marketed. I never even hinted at the suggestion that deep cuts automatically equate to reverence or that popularity equates to garbage. In this case, I was simply congratulating a song that hasn't been waterboarded to death by radio, and passing kudos on to the voting members here. Excuse me for mistakenly intruding in on your little circle jerk.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 9:36:37 AM PDT
Amen Ghost of Doctor Metal...

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2013 8:31:42 AM PDT
Amen Mr. Boyle...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 8:39:50 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Thanks Ghost, but I wouldn't exactly consider "Sin City" a "deep cut". I would consider "Love Song" as a "deep cut" and that song sucks. "Sin City" is an incredible track but I believe that it's pretty well known.

I disagree with your opinion that the deep cuts are automatically better because they aren't as popular. I agree that the most popular songs aren't always better, but they also aren't always worse. A lot of times, the most popular songs are popular for a reason: they are often more enjoyable to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 8:27:05 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
Or, perhaps they are voting for the "hits" because they are truly their favorite songs by that artist. Just a third option to consider...

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 10:31:00 AM PDT
yes, there are tons of other games where everyone pretty much is voting for the big hits gets annoying after a while...thought about quitting these games once again due to some of the narrowminded voters. i'm only in 3 more now, so maybe i'll just stick around for the ending of those 3, but yeah, too many people that only vote for the hits, which has me believe they either don't know the rest of the songs that well or don't know most of the songs listed at all,and therefor shouldn't even be voting, or that they don't even know.

to me, people shouldn't be playing a game at all, unless they know every song on the list and they know the song very well so they aren't messing up the game due to their ignorance and lack of knowledge on the band they are playing the game on...

Posted on Apr 29, 2013 10:17:52 AM PDT
Wow - glad to see such a worthy winner ('Sin City')!

I usually avoid these 'games' due to the overplayed or commercial wimpers (usually the same thing) knocking solid deep tracks out prematurely. In this case, good game.

Posted on Apr 25, 2013 12:07:06 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Nice job Mr. Boyle! Thanks to all for a great game!

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 7:39:59 PM PDT
Thank you to everybody for a great game and thank you Mr. Boyle for being our leader.

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 7:35:01 PM PDT
T. Boyle says:
There ya go! Thanks to everyone for helping me celebrate AC/DC's music!

Final standings:

62) Fling Thing
61) Love Song
60) Get It Hot
59) You Ain't Got A Hold On Me
58) Get It Hot [alternate version]
57) Little Lover
56) She's Got Balls
55) There's Gonna Be Some Rockin'
54) Love Hungry Man
53) Ain't No Fun (Waiting 'Round To Be A Millionaire)
52) Go Down
51) Stick Around
50) Carry Me Home
49) Show Business
48) Love At First Feel
47) Touch Too Much [alternate version]
46) Beating Around The Bush
45) Cold Hearted Man
44) School Days
43) Dog Eat Dog
42) Back Seat Confidential
41) Crabsody In Blue
40) Rocker
39) Up To My Neck In You
38) Can I Sit Next To You Girl
37) Dirty Eyes
36) RIP (Rock In Peace)
35) Rockin' In The Parlor
34) Gone Shootin'
33) Baby Please Don't Go
32) Gimme A Bullet
31) Soul Stripper
30) Night Prowler
29) Rock 'n' Roll Singer
28) The Jack
27) Walk All Over You
26) Bad Boy Boogie
25) Squealer
24) Big Balls
23) High Voltage
22) Ride On
21) What's Next To The Moon
20) Kicked In The Teeth
19) Live Wire
18) Overdose
17) Touch Too Much
16) Down Payment Blues
15) If You Want Blood (You've Got It)
14) Shot Down In Flames
13) Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
12) Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be
11) TNT
10) Problem Child
9) Jailbreak
8) It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll)
7) Riff Raff
6) Girls Got Rhythm
5) Whole Lotta Rosie
4) Let There Be Rock
3) Rock 'n' Roll Damnation
2) Highway To Hell
1) Sin City

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 5:09:34 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
Diamonds and dust
Poor man last; rich man first
Lamborginis, caviar
Dry martini's, Shangri-La

I've got a burnin' feelin'
Deep inside of me
It's yearnin'
But I'm gonna set it free

I'm goin' in
To Sin City
I'm gonna win
In Sin City
Where the lights are bright
Do the town tonight
I'm goin' in
To Sin City
(Oh, let me roll ya baby)

Ladders and snakes
Ladders give
Snakes take
Rich man, poor man
Beggarman, thief
Ain't got a hope in hell
That's my belief

Fingers Freddy
Diamond Jim
They're gettin' ready
Look out, I'm comin' in

So spin that wheel
Cut that pack
And throw those loaded dice
Bring on the dancing girls
And put the champagne on ice.

I'm goin' in
To Sin City
I'm gonna win
In Sin City
Where the lights are bright
Do the town tonight
I'm goin' in
To Sin City!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2013 4:41:43 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
after Sipps,

Sin City - 44

-Highway to Hell- (86)

And that's that.

Posted on Apr 24, 2013 11:18:48 AM PDT
D. Sippel says:
after ML

Highway to Hell - 1
Sin City - 44

Sin City-

will the next voter end the game?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 43 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  1061
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  May 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions