Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

The Allman Brothers or Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 84 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2011 9:35:08 PM PDT
Working Man says:
My guess is the Allman Brothers will win this one, I am not really sure who I like better. I think it really depends on my mood. I just paused and tried to decide if I could pick, but I cannot.

I will have to think on this one and pull out the old albums and post response in a couple or days.

Both bands lost key members and while I still like the current version of Skynyrd. I think the ABB faired better after the loss of Duane and Berry Oakley than Skynyrd did after the loss of Ronnie and Steve and Cassie Gaines.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 6:27:08 AM PDT
Zaplightning says:
I like em both the same!

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 12:10:59 PM PDT
I haven't really bothered to listen to much of either band after their major band upheavals. But based on what I've heard, I'll go with Lynyrd Skynyrd. I'm a sucker for a great guitar riff.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 12:13:43 PM PDT
Impossible !!! Still a cool question. I like Ronnie's songwriting the best, just some of his songs still get me, a real morality play thing goin' on. Like Hank Williams. But the Allman Brothers have just as good and many better songs overall. They totally win on instrumentals. But Ed King and that second Skynyrd record with that guitar sound, i love it. Greg is probably one of the greatest singers to hit the stage. Great live shows by both. Duane is the best musician out of both bands for me.

And one thing in common they have is an image of southern rock bands that to me limits the exposure of their songs and exposure through time. There are a lot of songs by both bands that really last if they were given a chance by any rock n roll lover. Not just southern rock fans.

I can't choose, love 'em both.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 12:20:57 PM PDT
For many years, I considered Skynyrd a pale imitation of the Brothers, however as time passed I came to like both bands pretty equally. I would probably give the nod to the Allmans because they were part of my musical mind-set first, and I dare say I've spent more time with their music than Skynyrd's - but probably not by that much. Fillmore East just nudges out One More From the Road for me.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 12:28:45 PM PDT
I agree Fillmore East is better than One From the Road. Just a top class live record lots of incredible jams and musicianship. Allmans had more instrumentation than Skynyrd so the jams can be more jazzy and have more debth.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 12:34:58 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Pretty much a tie, but a slight edge would go to Skynyrd. Was into The ABB already when "Pronounced..." was released. That first album knocked me out. Bought all their stuff after that.
Still play vinyl and cd's from both bands. Two of my alltime faves.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 12:51:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2011 12:53:32 PM PDT
The Allman Brothers were grittier, more bluesy players, but Lynyrd Skynyrd had better songwriting. The verdict is dependent on what means more to an individual -- passionate, blues-influenced playing or memorable lyrics and phrases.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 3:25:37 PM PDT
Nothintosay says:
The Allman Brothers by a mile . The Allman Brothers , to me , were always a blues band . Yea , most of the Dickey Betts stuff has a country flavor , but the ABB are still primarily a blues band . I like Skynyrd a lot , even some of the post RVZ albums , 1991 and Last Rebel are very good ...but Skynyrd is not and never was in the same league as the Allmans --just my opinion

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 3:38:17 PM PDT
B-Jak says:
I'll go for the hippies over the red-necks any day.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 3:48:16 PM PDT
Working Man says:
It appears to be pretty close so far, which is how I feel. I think Allman's have more die hard fans nationally, but Skynyrd seems to have that same passion down South. I think the Allman Brothers fan base might be bigger. I agree the ABB are more blues than Skynyrd, while Skynyrd also tried were as much a rock band at times and not just a Southern rock band, if that makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 4:12:45 PM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
Read a cool bit in the Southern Rockers, The Roots and Legacy Of Southern Rock book by Marley Brant where the One Percent (later Skynyrd) were playing Hourglass stuff on gigs. The 'Allmans' play headliner to these kids, but pretty much their set was already played.
Got the book here but too lazy to look for quotes. It just made me happy one dug the other.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 4:17:12 PM PDT
But I know that he won't stay
Without Melissa

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 5:05:23 PM PDT
Sharptop says:
Both are good, but without the Allman Brothers Band you wouldn't have had Lynyrd Skynyrd. Also the Marshall Tucker Band is way under-rated!

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 7:45:35 PM PDT
sundancekeed says:
Without the Allmans, Skynyrd might never have been signed even though their musical styles were miles apart. But The Allman Brothers Band for better or worse (and my opinion is worse) were labeled as "Southern" Rock, when they were actually more of a Blues/Jazz combo than anything else. Lynyrd Skynyrd had more in common with The Who than they did with Molly Hatchett. In fact, Pete Townshend liked the band so much that he helped them get signed to MCA, which happened to be The Who's label in America. And of course, Al Cooper had a hand in it as well.

To me, there's no real competition here. The only real similarity is that both bands featured musicians from one part of the country. But the music that they played wasn't really similar at all. As for how they've aged? To me, Lynyrd Skynyrd ceased to exist after Ronnie Van Zant's death. Principal songwriter, lead vocalist, leader of the group. With him gone, game, set and match. I never begrudged the other guys in the band making a living but I never considered them Lynyrd Skynyrd. The Rossington-Collins Band, okay. But not Lynyrd Skynyrd.

The Allmans went through some bad times in the 80's before reforming and then again when they had to let Dickie Betts go. But when they got Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks into the band, they returned to those original Jazz and Blues roots that they'd had under Duane's guidance and they became to me a viable band again. They love to tour but Gregg doesn't write much anymore and hasn't for a long time. I think it's been over eight years since their last album of new material, maybe longer. But then again, they got nothing to prove and they're out there because they like to be, not because they have to be.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 7:51:23 PM PDT
Cmon this is a no brainer ABB all the way Nothing against Skynard they were great but its like comparing an original with a copy.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 6:50:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2011 6:03:07 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Let's see:

Live record: From the Road vs Fillmore...Fillmore

Biggest studio record: Street Survivors vs Brothers and Sister...close but Street wins

Live:
1-Skynyrd with Ronnie (From the Road tour)
2-Skynkrd with Ronnie (Last tour/Stadium show)
3-The Allmans (Rouges tour w/Betts and Tolner)
4-Betts and Warren on first tour together
5-Skynyrd reunion tour
6-Warren and Trucks (the show I saw had BAD sound problems with Derek's guitar)
7-Skynyrd with Johnny in the later 90's
Winner: Skynyrd with Ronnie

Guitars: Allmans
Vocals: Ronnie
Bass: Allmans
Drums: Allmans
Keys: "Billy Powell on piano" over Greg on Hammond B-3

Overall: Allmans but close!

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 11:13:06 AM PDT
J. D. Blair says:
Allman Brothers - nothing against Skynyrd but Duane and Dickey Betts and later Warren Haynes have kept the Allman Brothers on top of their game for many years. Listen to the Allman Brothers "Live at Fillmore East" and Skynyrd's "From the Road" and hear the difference of timeless music that stills sounds fresh today with that of music that sounds a little outdated and forced at times.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 12:06:38 PM PDT
I like The Allman Brothers Band more but I don't think Skynyrd is really comparable. They were very different bands. The Allmans were all about the lengthy improvised jams while Skynyrd sounded very tight and structured.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 12:10:30 PM PDT
vivazappa , very scientific. Nice breakdown.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 12:29:14 PM PDT
K. Cooper says:
The ALLMAN BROTHERS no question. I do like both bands but the Allmans are the originators and the best. For me, it could be the Allmans and any other band and my answer is the same.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 1:41:01 PM PDT
K. Carter says:
Lynyrd Skynyrd was a surprisingly original band and Ronnie Van Zant was one of the most underappreciated songwriters who ever lived. Anyone who calls them a "copy" or "rednecks" is simply not paying attention. Ever listen to some of Van Zant's lyrics? He tackled subjects that went against a lot of the usual so-called "redneck" way of thinking: gun control, substance abuse, environmentalism, ineffective politicians, even sexist double-standards. Comparing them to the Allmans is apples and oranges - both great bands, but two very different styles.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 6:47:38 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Granted there are significant differences in styles, but even though the Allman's owe more to blues than Skynyrd and I really only hear a hint of jazz, mostly in their imrprovistion they are still very southern to me.

I also don't think Skynyrd were a copy of the Allman's, probably influenced by them quite a bit, but they were heavily influenced by Free, as were so many. I started this comparison because I view these two bands as the premier two bands to come of the South who play southern influenced rock.

I think that post Ronnie Van Zant Lynyrd Skynyrd has done some really good albums. It's too bad that they are viewed as a nostalgia act or as a second rate Lynyrd Skynyrd. For me Lynyrd Skynyrd has become somewhat of an institution, kind of like Yes and Jethro Tull and even Deep Purple. The original members keep leaving and yet the band lives on. Yes has said they would like to see band exist even after all the original members are gone.

Can you imagine, 50 years from now there could still be a Lynyrd Skynyrd, a Yes, and a Deep Purple? If the bands stay true to the talent and style, then why not. It's interesting to think about. It could be like an orchestra that exists to play music even as the band members change. What an incredible legacy it would be.

Wow, did I get off topic. lol.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 7:17:24 PM PDT
Workin' Man, nice, i agree. I had actually never heard that idea that Skynyrd copied The Allmans. I've read quite a few interviews with Ed King, i'm a huge fan of his and i don't remember him mentioning The Allmans at all. They were both kind of contemporaries of each other. They loved the blues, soul, R&B and 50's rock n roll like all the bands that started in the sixties.

I like your conclusion about the bands staying true and lasting, i totally agree, right on !

Posted on Oct 25, 2011 6:06:24 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Working Man:
KISS should be getting a new Gene and Paul soon...so 50 years from now a bunch of wasted teenagers will still be able to rock and roll all night and party everyday! I hope to be dead by then ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

Active discussions in related forums
Discussion Replies Latest Post
Long Careers in Music 47 3 minutes ago
The Music Of Our Lives 6523 10 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4065 13 minutes ago
What The Hell, Who Cares! 528 25 minutes ago
Russell's Prog Lounge 4201 26 minutes ago
Halford or Dickinson??? 65 1 hour ago
Song Title Tag XVI 9933 2 hours ago
Album Title Tag 8 7584 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  Oct 22, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions