100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

The Led Zeppelin Discography Breakdown Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 890 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 7:01:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 7:08:08 PM PST
Exile, I understand how Plants voice can grate, especially on the earlier more sexually charged tracks but by III he has toned it down considerably, especially on the second side.

On "Tangerine" (my fave Zep) he even almost goes baritone.

Anyway, It'll be a struggle listening to the whole catalogue end on end ( especially if you listen to "The song remains the same") but I admire your willingness to give it a go.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 7:06:02 PM PST
>>"...filled with fan boy love for Plants vocals"

True. And your opinion of Ian Gillan is...?<<

Am I missing something here?

Gillans vocals are very similar to Plants by my hearing.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:09:52 PM PST
@Buck Buckaw: "Gillans vocals are very similar to Plants by my hearing."

Exactly. You are missing a bit of back history there, though.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:17:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 7:18:26 PM PST
Exile, man, just your name is enough for me to follow you like Jim Jones led his flock from the city to Gayana. ; )

Communication Breakdown is such a cool song. I'm with you totally on your assessment of the whole thing.

Music is personal taste not a battle.

Topper i'm not sure where it would fit? It kind of reminds me of "Your Time Is Gonna Come" in feeling. Sometimes i like records that are a little skitzoid. The Stones Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed have that feel to me but also are perfect. Sometimes compilation albums have this flow that is all over the place but works, for me. Maybe just before the last song "How Many More Times" just to emphasize the heavy groove of that song have a ballad that is real traditional in there?

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:27:14 PM PST
Okay, since we're all having fun here, right? I'll throw in my two cents.

I am not a big fan of blues. Funny, because a lot of bands I like come from a blues background. Oh well. For me, that makes Led Zep I and II kind of whatever. I like what they do with the material, and I think it hits brilliance once in a while, but Zep for me transcends that once they hit III and IV. Then they shake off the shackles of repertoire that had been done before and create new ways of making music.

I'm in a band right now with two people who think Plant is overrated. Although I'm not the biggest fan of his "I'm having a constant orgasm" style, I understand what it is about his voice that hit people when the first album came out: his passion. He didn't take the easy road on any of it, and I give him full kudos for it. If you don't like it, that's a matter of taste, but for what the band was trying to do, it fit perfectly. No one else was holding back, and it would have sounded odd if Plant had.

Having said that, I do consider the first two albums to be seminal. They're just not to my taste too much.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 9:06:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 9:07:58 PM PST
Right on David!!! Rock on man. Plant really was the kick that made 'em. Whether you dig him or not. His Delta blues obsession and screaming style just made them different. Right on David great breakdown. Happy New Year All..!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 9:37:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 9:59:39 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:

Re : So...explain to me how these are mutually exclusive statements

That's easy my Wikipedia friend. But it's so annoying always having to retrace your lies and bull sheet. But as you would say, I'm used to it.

Ooooookay...let's see. First you said that Plant was better than anyone. Then you said you meant mostly the heavy metal singers from the 80's. Then you reversed course again, claimed you clarified your first statement by saying you meant everyone, from all eras. Do I have that right? Or will pansy as* Topper once again take everything that he said, throw it in a blender, try to mix it up so much that anyone reading will hopefully be confused enough that they won't see what a pompous condescending klutz you are. When you say No-one is better, then say you meant singers from the 80's, then say you meant everyone and come back at me and claim your statements were totally consistent, completely logical it just shows that your whole trip is to come back one post later, start making excuses for what you just said and then start contradicting what you just said. It's old news. No matter how stupid you look and how unwilling you are to simply say, yeah well, I didn't word that quite right. I meant every singer. That's all. That would have taken care of it, that's what you should have said. But you are so monumentally insecure you have to write ten paragraphs spinning what you just said. That's when these posts get all twisted up like a bowl of spaghetti. When you're so busy unraveling all your denials and claiming you said this or that, when in reality you simply said what you said. No ones better. Plant has more this and more that and all *the rest* sound cheezy, emotionless by comparison. Do I have that right, clueless bozo about lead singers? It was that simple..and yet it becomes convoluted because you make Amazon your personal blender of mixed up lies, retractions and outright denials. Happens in every thread.

Now that we've established that, let's move on to the rest of your comments that you will be changing, retracting and denying as soon as you reply to this.

Re : You and others here condescendingly put down Plant, so I don't see what the problem is. I really don't care for any of the imitators

This statement would be fine except when you get to the part where you make your typical, predictable, condescending attempt to lump a whole eras of singers into imitators. Once again, you're opinion. Were some, many singers influenced by Plant? Of course but instead of making lame, anonymous accusations...name some. Don't throw everyone under the bus because in your warped opinion every great singer from that era was a Plant clone. Once again, the icons, legendary musicians from that era don't need some twerpy librarian claiming they had no talent, they simply copied Plant or anyone else you have wet dreams about. You're a moron for even entertaining those thoughts, let alone being such a fool to believe them.

Referring to Gillans and Lords style
Re :.....but neither thought of utilizing those skills until AFTER they heard Emerson/Plant. It's just the plain truth and an irrefutable observation.....you don't hear them develop their signature styles until after these other figures broke through.

Zzzzzzzzzz. Does anyone care at this point what a wimpy, poster licking fanboy thinks of these other great artists? Your opinions in this area have always been and always will be inane. But if it makes little Topper happy to believe no one would have thought of singing or playing a certain way unless they heard two guys you get a hard o* over, then grab a half a dozen Kleenex's and knock yourself out.

Referring to Toppers I "meant" 80's singers comment before he changed that a few times.
Re : It's a pretty sweeping critique of all those later singers, I'll admit, but I don't think I'm off-base, here. You really think Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach are as good or better than Plant?

Stupefying beyond belief. This is a prime example of Toppers blender concoctions or more accurately not being man enough to *ever* fess up. You made that comment because you just finished "clarifying" you meant "mostly 80's singers" were the Plant imitators. After you said they were thousands of imitators. Before you said or after you said no-one was able to pack in the depth and fullness Plant was. Before or after you said all "the rest" of the singers were cheezy and emotionless. Got all that? You pray every day that no one will be able to follow all your BS. And then you brought up Rose and Bach, 80's singers. You just wanted to know if I thought they were any good. No problem, right? Shouldn't be but you claim you brought them up at that point because they were Plant imitators. Wrong , you were in the middle of clarifying, after all your crystal clear statements about Plant imitators, uhhhh 80's singers, uhhhh certain era singers, uhhh every singer. You brought them up because at *that* point you were now citing some 80's singers. Simple, no problem. Yet you're so confused by all your retractions and BS and "clarifying" you don't even know why you brought them up. From *every* singer was an imitator to mostly 80's singers. Or was it a thousand imitator....from every era? All "the rest" were cheezy, emotionless. Wait....did I say all? I meant Plant was better than all the singers. Who would know at this point what the hell you're trying to say and I'm doing a hell of a job sorting it out for you. But truth be told, who cares? It's bound to be followed up with a million excuses for some bonehead statement you just got through making, insecure rants and roll your eyes accusations about who influenced who based on nothing more than Toppers "observations"...lol.

That's one thing you got right. Observations. In fact if you had said that all along, it's an observation that this song sounds like that one or this singer sounds like that one instead of accusing them with empty, self serving opinions you pompously claim as facts, things would be a whole lot different.

But....hope 2013 *clarifies* a lot of things for you Topper. Happy new year ! ;)

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 10:11:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 10:26:12 PM PST
take403 says:
Happy New Year! For now, here's the 1st 3 songs by #1.

Good Times starts it all. Jimmy's E chord welcomes the listener, Jones joins in and then Bonzo. Then Plant sings "In the days of my youth....." and borrows a blues line "Well, my women left home with a brown eyed man."

Next song is the acoustic\electric "Babe." This song was borrowed by Joan Baez, whose version is even more melancholy. Bonzo is featured on tympani.

"You Shook Me" has them polishing Willie Dixon's standard. Jonesy plays organ and Plant breaks out the harp, sounfing like he's getting oxygen from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 10:10:59 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 1, 2013 11:07:40 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 11:08:04 AM PST
How to listen to Led Zeppelin in 5 easy steps -

1) Get a bottle of cheap wine.
2) Put on your old vinyl "Physical Graffiti" album on the turntable.
3) Turn volume up.
4) Find favorite chair.
5) Be happy. :-}

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 11:23:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 11:44:16 AM PST
For some reason amazon deleted my post although I had no profanity or anything remotely objectionable in it. Strange. One more try:

@AlexMontrose: "First you said that Plant was better than anyone. Then you said you meant mostly the heavy metal singers from the 80's. Then you reversed course again, claimed you clarified your first statement by saying you meant everyone, from all eras. Do I have that right?"

Of course you don't have it right--you never get *anything* right, even statements that are plain as day. Here's the *actual* quote I made about the 80s bands which you are continually distorting:

"Also, I'm not just talking imitators "from the era". I'm talking practically every heavy metal vocalist who sang in a high pitch, especially the ones from the 80s but you still hear 'em today. And they are ghastly."

Just where am I saying "oh, it was mostly the 80s I meant?" I say I'm not JUST talking about singers "from the era" (as in, I'm STILL INCLUDING singers from the era), I'm talking about *practically every heavy metal vocalist who sang in a high pitch*. How much clearer (and directly compatible with "no-one") do I have to get?! And then I don't just mention the 80s, but metal singers today as well. In fact, the only reason I mention the 80s is because you had misquoted me earlier by saying I was talking about singers from "that era" (late 60s/early 70s), and I was saying I meant *everyone*, from *every* era. Saying that the 80s was "especially" bad is not even close to saying the same thing as it was "mostly" the 80s, but of course you with your horrifying grammar skills wouldn't recognize the difference.

This is the last time I'm explaining it. I shouldn't have to be explaining something so crystal-clear at all, but I realize that you are a special-needs individual and require constant repetitive explanations to understand anything. If you still want to waste valuable bandwidth claiming I "backtracked", feel free.

"to lump a whole eras of singers into imitators. Once again, you're opinion. Were some, many singers influenced by Plant? Of course..."

Then we agree. I was not saying every singer who ever appeared in rock after Robert Plant, imitated Robert Plant. I specifically talked about "Robert Plant imitators" in order to specify *the people who were trying to imitate Robert Plant*, ie. the high-pitched vocal style that then became so prevalent in metal. Do I think Johnny Rotten, Ian Curtis, and Patti Smith were trying to imitate Robert Plant? Uh...no. I'm saying that after Plant, there was a whole crop of singers in heavy metal who tried to imitate his style, and none of them did it as good as him. That's my opinion, of course, but as usual you had to twist it into something I didn't mean: I said (in fact went out of my way to specify) that it was my opinion, so I don't need you pointlessly 'reminding' me it was.

And what's with all the feigned outrage at my dismissing a whole crop of singers, anyways? You just admitted on the other forum that you dismiss an entire genre (rap) and can happily say so to everyone's face. If I was dismissing a group of singers you also hated, you'd agree with me completely and have no issues. It's you who speak like your opinion of these "great" metal singers is a 'fact'.

Also, the constant misuse of the words your/you're in your posts is getting really irritating. Just learn the difference, already. There's no excuse for this kind of ridiculously bad grammar, repeated over and over again, even when people remind you that it's wrong (and this isn't the first time). This isn't about typos, or you then combing every one of my posts looking for where I misplaced a period, in order to get even with me. This is a basic grammatical rule you repeatedly ignore, and it's just a further example of your complete unwillingness to admit you are wrong and simply change the behavior.

"But if it makes little Topper happy to believe no one would have thought of singing or playing a certain way unless they heard two guys..."

I notice how you completely skimmed over this part, ie. the part where I completely destroyed your incorrect assertion that Ian Gillan was singing in his high pitch style with Episode Six. You didn't actually address the point at all, you just went straight into the personal insults--a sure sign that you are desperately trying to deflect and avoid the fact that I just showed you to be straight-up WRONG on something. I'll take this as a win--because until you can show me a video or recording of Gillan singing in his high-pitch vocal range that pre-dates January 1969, that statement you made about him in Episode Six will always be WRONG WRONG WRONG. Not that I ever expect you to admit it. Go ahead, call me "inane". You will still continue to be WRONG. Throwing insults does not change FACT.

"Before you said or after you said no-one was able to pack in the depth and fullness Plant was. Before or after you said all "the rest" of the singers were cheezy and emotionless. Got all that?"

Uh...yeah, it makes perfect sense. Is anybody else having a problem with the logic of me saying that if none of the imitators had the depth and fullness of Plant, that I would think they sound cheezy and emotionless as a result?

Of course not. Only the mentally challenged. Happy New Year. Or should I say, Happy New You're!

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 1:20:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 1:25:39 PM PST
Led Zeppelin II Side One

Whole Lotta Love - This is where Zeppelin makes the leap into the big leagues. Everything about this riff is absolutely perfect. The tone, the primal force, the driving repetition, the echo and recording of it all adds to it's power. NOW I can sit here and say how this must have been quite a revelation back in it's day as the riff still mesmerizes. This is one of the greatest openings to a rock song as I have ever heard. The song itself is lethal and I like Plant's vocals here. He is actually singing and feeling the song rather than just moaning for effect. John Paul Jones comes in to shadow the riff on bass but it is Bonham, who IMO, elevated this basic but powerful riff from sinking as the song progresses with his staggering beat and I think that's the key to the song. How many times have you heard a great opening riff to a song but it never goes anywhere? Page's divebombs on the chorus are as hooky as the opening riff itself.

Of course this is Zeppelin and they couldn't just leave well enough alone. We need to be bigger and stronger ...hence, we get nearly 2 minutes of whacking off with some studio enhanced psychedelic effects that go nowhere. Bonham breaks them out of this slumber followed by Page's lead guitar. I totally get the psychedelic part is merely used as a tool in making the part where we 'come out of the dream' all the more effective but they could have edited it down to say 30 seconds and have gotten the same effect without bringing the momentum of the song to a complete halt before starting up again. As is the song remains a classic as it would be hard to destroy something of this magnitude.

What Is And What Should Never Be - This song always gave me the feeling like I was on a tropical island somewhere for some reason. It's a good second cut and I like how Page goes for atmosphere over sheer power on the solo. Even when it gets to the heavier part, it's not overpowering and still retains the vibe. This is leaps and bounds beyond their first album. The stereo panning at the end is a nice effect.

The Lemon Song - Appropriately titled because this song is a lemon. A blues take on Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor". It's more blooze...louder and heavier than what came before it. Comparing this to the original it contains none of Hubert Sumlin's nuance, effect or touch as Page and company reach to play this harder and faster than the original. And they do, and Sumlin's slinky technique and feel are lost in the process. Filler!

Howlin' Wolf - Killing Floor

Thank You - Great ballad and I love the chord changes. I also appreciate the openess of the songs sound in general......"Little drops of rain...........". As I've said before, Page can pick on an acoustic as beautifully as anyone and when he sticks to that it also removes his temptation to bludgeon our heads with it. And instead what you get are texture and colorings like very few rock guitarists have been able to duplicate on the same level. I love the organ outro. Gorgeous...................

Nearly a perfect side, one of the greatest rock sides of the album era.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 1:43:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:44:32 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:

Amazon probably deleted your (see that ?, "your") post not because of any profanity or a no no word but because you nauseate them. If Amazon deleted for lies and excuses and changing what you said to avoid further embarrassment you would have 85% of your posts deleted.

You're right about wasting more bandwidth. Why throw in your face what *you* said to constantly be reminded that we're dealing with a pathological reject who twists things on a daily basis. It's never ending. Responding to your bull sheet is a complete waste of bandwidth because all you will do is sit there and take the opposite view. Only problem with that is we are trying to "fix" what you were too dumb to explain right in the first case. You're the classic example of some guy cutting off another driver, where it's absolutely 100% your fault, the other guy had to slam on his brakes and *you* give *them* the finger. Not that *you* would have the balls to ever do that but you get my gist.

When you take everything out of context and selectively choose, cut and paste your quotes in to make your jumbled mess look logical that, predictably, is the only thing you ever do. Because you're too much of a insecure dweeb to ever say, yeah I didn't quite state that the right way. See, I'm not talking about grammar, I'm talking about being such a damaged loser that you can't even admit that there was a possibility that your explanation was all over the map. My you're, your is just laziness. I go over the posts and miss a couple. It happens and will happen again. Please forgive me, English teacher reject who can't keep a job. Did that annoy you? Good, so F off with the anal grammar complaints. You've been destroyed here so many times this is your "go to" jab whenever you can find a few your and you're to whine about in your sissy way. If it annoys you, that makes me genuinely happy. I'm sure you were annoyed when you were sitting in the library memorizing the names of every 80's singer. That's why you gave us the Skid Row guy as one of your prime examples....lol. Maybe you can't do better than that. Check Wiki.

Once again, as Topper so predictably and boringly threw all his jumbled nonsense in a blender and tried to accuse me of not getting it *you said* no-one was better than Plant. They were all cheezy and emotionless and one other adjective not worth remembering. You didn't differentiate 80's singers at that point. You "clarified" that later. So I objected to your endless, clueless pompousness and your anal need to down other artists instead of just expressing a simple opinion. Now of course you will, twist and turn and not understand any of this because you are incapable of being honest and saying *at that point* you're right, I didn't differentiate, I just said no-one. Now I don't expect you to admit or acknowledge any of this. You're simply incapable of seeing the difference between saying no-one was better...the rest were all cheezy and emotionless. And then later saying, uhhh well I talking about 80's singers who imitated Plant. Saying no-one was better, certainly anyone who can put two and two together would assume you were talking about all the singers from that era, the 70's. So you stand by that, right? But what you actually said was :

It's not hard to see why Plant spawned thousands of imitators, and yet no-one later was able to pack in the depth and fullness Plant was able to, which is why all the rest sound so shrill, cheezy and emotionless.

Never in that post did you mention 80's singers. *That* came in the next post. So when you wrote your first statement I objected to you saying "the rest" were shrill, cheezy and emotionless. And since you didn't mention *anything* about the 80's in that post, what conclusion would anyone come to? Right, you're downing the whole lot of singers from that era. You know?.....*THE REST* ????!!!!!!! Get it, you astoundingly inept, completely bankrupt of any integrity, lying POS?
Good, because if you don't, I'll be happy to print it and you can save the library's bandwidth.

As far as Gillan goes, consider this. Do you think Deep Purple would have taken on a new singer if they didn't know he was capable of singing a certain way? Do you think they checked him out in Episode six and said...nahh this guy can't hit the high notes so forget it. Can you be as clueless and dumb as you appear? It literally boggles the mind. For a complete hack who knows nothing of Deep Purples history what really happened is they heard about Gillan through mutual musician friends. *HEARD* that he was an extraordinary singer who had *exactly* what it takes to sing the type of songs they were planning for In Rock. Uhhh not little Johnny come lately Topper who is so damaged and neurotic that he has the nerve to sum up a whole guys career by saying...uhhh he must have heard Plant raise his voice and then he became Ian Gillan. No moron, Blackmore, Lord and Co. got Gillan because he was the singer that could sing their new material. And that's when they got rid of Rod Evans. It doesn't matter if he wasn't singing hard rock, loud, upper register Deep Purple style with Episode Six. It was a different band !!!!!!!!! Different music !!!! Understand bozo? Ohhh but I'm sorry. I'm sure for Gillan's first audition with Purple, he was hiding in the closet and listening to Plant and then all of a sudden he decided to have an upper register. Ya know, during that audition he was singing in complete monotone and Ritchie said...uhhh can you raise your voice a little? And Ian said, well I haven't heard Zeppelin's first album yet so I don't know what you mean?

Topper I enjoy making mincemeat out of you but at the same time take your Plant and Emerson posters off the wall. And realize that just because you don't particularly enjoy an artist it doesn't mean you can make up a bogus history about them when you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I realize this is some infantile problem you have or some horrible childhood scar that makes you so pathologically insecure you need to dismiss great artists for your own self serving needs. But you can use Amazon as your own personal fantasy land and make up stories about other artists all day long. If you didn't read it in a book or find it on Wikipedia than we all know that anything you say is Toppers world of fantasy and make believe. And God willing I'll be here to call you on it every time ;)

Happy new year. How are those Vast and Lucifer's Friend reviews going ?....lol

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:09:29 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 1, 2013 2:27:11 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 2:24:15 PM PST
Topper-Ypu probably got deleted for using retarded in your first post instead of challenged like in your second post.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:31:14 PM PST
@McNary: yes, that was the only word I changed (and it was really a wild guess), so I would assume that was it. How your post which uses the word is being allowed to stay is beyond me, although mine wasn't deleted for about 20 minutes so I assume yours will be soon as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 2:38:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:42:54 PM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Don't think so Mcnary. If we checked many other posts between Topper and I the word retarded comes up many times....lol. There are some "magic" words and abbreviations that Amamom picks up with their software. Pain in the as* to have to find them but they're usually not that hard to spot. And hey they did that weird thing where they reinstated my post above the deleted one. That's happened to a few people lately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 2:55:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 2:59:27 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
The Amamom censors are a bunch of retards

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 2:59:18 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
Sometimes deletions just depend on how retarded the Amamom censor on watch at that hour is

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 3:01:42 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 1, 2013 3:24:30 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 3:14:15 PM PST
Captain Ogre says:
RE: There are some "magic" words and abbreviations that Amamom picks up with their software

If it was the software, I would expect the post to get rejected immediately
"Your message will not be posted. Please see our Guidelines regarding objectionable content."

If a post getes deleted after it's already been up, there must be some sub-human pushing a button and fake morals

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 3:25:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 3:47:36 PM PST
@AlexMontrose: You said you wouldn't waste bandwidth, then went into another lengthy ten-paragraph scourge of pointless insults and mindless repeats of the same misguided argument you used in your last post. Not surprising.

"Never in that post did you mention 80's singers."

I didn't have to in that original post, because "no-one later" is inclusive of ALL decades later. If I say "later singers", what would make you think I was only talking about the 70s? For the billionth time, I didn't later "differentiate" that I was 'only' talking about 80s singers, I was ADDING 80s singers (and all other later decades) to make it *clear* that by no-one, I meant *no-one*, at *any time* later, which was exactly 100% consistent with my original statement. How you went from that to "oh, first you said 70s, then you said 80s, then you said no-one" is truly, jaw-droppingly, mind-bogglingly moronic. But I'm already repeating myself again, when I said I wouldn't. It's just that maybe a part of me hopes that if I hit myself against the brick wall that is your oversized head often enough, a gleam of enlightenment just may shine through. But of course it's hopeless.

Yeah, "laziness" is right. You are not only lazy with your grammar, you're lazy with your logic and arguments.

"Do you think Deep Purple would have taken on a new singer if they didn't know he was capable of singing a certain way?"

OMG, are you *really* this ignorant, even when it comes to your all-time favorite bands?!? (Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the whole "Blackmore was first with the bow" thing). Gillan was offered the position in the group in June 1969. That's *six months* after Led Zeppelin's debut. So yeah, DP knew what he was capable of, then. But if they had auditioned him in mid-1968 (when they originally offered him the position), they wouldn't have known, because he wasn't singing that way then. They probably just thought he was a good singer at the register he was singing in at that time, as he was *only* singing in that lower register at the time. What part of "there is no visual or recorded evidence of Gillan singing in a high register before January 1969" do you not understand? Being considered again in June 1969, Gillan would have had six full months from hearing Zep's debut to absorb learning how to sing in a high register, which he would be able to use.

"I'm sure for Gillan's first audition with Purple, he was hiding in the closet and listening to Plant and then all of a sudden he decided to have an upper register."

Uh, yeah, you pretty much summed it up, here. Except he wasn't hiding in a closet. DP probably told him in '69 they wanted a singer who could do what the hot-new-thing Led Zeppelin were doing. It's an educated guess, and a totally plausible one considering the abrupt and extreme change in Gillan's vocal style from Episode Six in 67/68 to his work in DP. Yeah, Episode Six was a different band, but you don't think if Gillan had discovered back then that he could sing with that high-pitch wail (and knew that sort of thing would be popular), he wouldn't have used it?! Get a clue!!

From The Social Network: "If the Winklevoss twins had invented Facebook, then they would have invented Facebook".

Gillan was around for years singing only in his lower register before Plant hit the scene, then suddenly switches to a high-pitch wailing style in 1969. What a coinky-dink! Wow, it must be two brilliant minds thinking alike, just like how Lord totally came up with his organ style entirely on his own because you know, he'd never heard of Emerson even though The Nice were selling out shows like hotcakes in the UK at the time. It's just a coinky-dink that Lord didn't show a trace of that style until after Emerson broke through and then, voila! Glissandos and organ feedback, galore!

I suppose you also expect everyone to believe Gillan had never heard of Plant, and totally came up with that high-pitch technique on his own, in June of '69. It's the only conclusion you can come to, because if Gillan *had* heard of Plant, and you know (as we do) that he wasn't singing that way before Plant arrived, then you MUST conclude that Gillan was influenced, no ifs ands or buts. He knew there was another singer singing in a high-pitch, and that it was highly popular.

Ironically, who came first isn't even all that much of an issue with me, and it wasn't with Lord, either. It's you who try to make WWIII out of this stuff. "How DARE you imply that Gillan and Lord were influenced by somebody!!" WTF?! I mean, I like Muse more than I like Queen, even though Muse were blatantly influenced by and baldly imitative of Queen. So who came first at a sound isn't more important to me than, quite simply, who sounds better to my ears. In the case of Robert Plant, however, the first was definitely the best. IMO. IMO. IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 5:36:07 PM PST
Exile I remember when "Whole lotta....." first came out and how that riff just hit me in the face.

I used to peddle down to the local games arcade to listen to the single on the jukebox.

The single version had the psychedelic freak out largely edited out.

I like the freak out part with Page showing off his newly acquired theremin virtuosity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 5:37:59 PM PST
>>I love the organ outro. Gorgeous...................<<

I also like the way the song casually meander back to life and then wanders off again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 5:40:37 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 1, 2013 6:17:38 PM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  890
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions