Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Most Underrated Steely Dan Song

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2007 9:36:50 PM PDT
TZ It really says something when Steely Dan want to keep the tour fresh for themselves by swapping songs about. The audience benefits. Caves of Altimira and Deacon Blues would both be most welcome. I think long tours can get a bit mechanical sometimes ... which is why the opening night is so often the best. Spark / fresh... etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2007 10:21:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2007 8:55:12 PM PDT
Daniel Gordon: The attractiveness of Your Gold Teeth has been agreed upon earlier in this rather lengthy discussion. That is; both Gold Teeth. (You're right though.... the 2nd one is probably more often forgotten).

I think Pixeleen has been a bit of a sleeper too. I thought it was a standout track when I first heard the Everything Must Go album, and like a lot of that album, it's been underrated in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2007 10:27:19 PM PDT
"Kings" is a strange one to me. Not that I don't like it at all (I do)but it is in a catagory all on it's own as far as the Steely Dan back catalogue is concerned. Almost like it comes from one of those '70's "Concept Albums". Maybe it's underrated, but I can't see where it would fit in a Steely Dan concert anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2007 10:37:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2007 7:03:19 AM PDT
TZ and ASTA.... "Two against Nature" with it's different time signature is just the right song to shake up that album. If the "Gaucho" album had a weakness it was that there were too many songs that sounded similar in the rhythm section/ drumming style/ time signature department.

T.A.N is just excellent, and I do hope it's performed live when I see them.

Also.... as I mentioned earlier...... I dearly hope there is a new DVD of this tour. I know there are rumors apparently... although I've not heard or read anything directly myself. TZ: how reliable is the new Steely Dan DVD rumour??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 11:02:10 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:56:22 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 11:05:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:55:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 11:10:13 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:57:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 11:11:54 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:56:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 6:06:00 PM PDT
alex, you have great taste.probably my fave 'dan songs too.also,midnight cruiser, broolyn, barrytown,and with a gun

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 9:17:12 PM PDT
TZ....What's in the "Nightfly box set got that I haven't already got...... is it just the trilogy put together in a single box set? ( There's no live DVD material is there??)

The date of my show in Sydney is September 18th by the way.

AND NOW.... concerning the Steely Dan DVD question....

I can't understand why there would even be a possibility that a live tour DVD may not happen. Don't they want to make some more money. More importantly.... don't they want there to be a record for posterity of what they have achieved??. Steely Dan are a part of music history, living legends really (as corny as that sounds)and a proper record of their work should include top quality DVDs as well as CDs.

Imagine if we were able to get live concert footage of MOZART / SCHUBERT / ETC but for some unknown reason we chose not to until it was too late and there were no more concerts. (we only have cover bands of these guys now!!)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 9:42:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2007 9:43:02 PM PDT
Now for TEN TRACKS OF KILLER FILLER FROM STEELY DAN:

THE FEZ
BROOKLYN
CHAIN LIGHTNING
WEST OF HOLLYWOOD
ANY MAJOR DUDE
DOCTOR WU
EVERYTHING MUST GO
YOUR GOLD TEETH
GASLIGHTING ABBIE..(I don't think I want to know what this one's about, but I like the music)
KING OF THE WORLD.. ( hope this meets the provisions for underratedness)

This task was too hard and too too time consuming. I can't decide !!! Still... what a great album this would be eh??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 10:30:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 30, 2010 5:22:23 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 12:24:05 AM PDT
Oh dear oh dear ... ALEX... our great high priest TZ will have you banished for such insolence!

Does the sad whiney nature of 'Dirty Work" amount to a blemish on the "Can't buy a Thrill" album?. "I don't want to do your dirty work no more / oh yeah/ oh no, don't make me do no more of your dirty work / yeah yeah oh no...."

What's wrong with this fellow... is he not master of his own destiny?..... don't continue on this course man.... just say no to dirty work.... what's wrong with you... and stop WHINING!

Still.... does this mean that I might agree with you Alex?.... would I be likley to skip the song Dirty Work whenever I spin Can't buy a Thrill?.....well I don't feel comfortable making such a rash statement in this public forum..... and certainly not with TZ listening in.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 7:46:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 7:00:23 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 7:51:06 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 7:01:22 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 2:13:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 7:38:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 3:30:39 PM PDT
Hey TZ.... thanks a lot for going to the trouble of posting the info on the box set of Fagen solo stuff. I had heard there was something on the way but hadn't bothered checking it out as I already own the albums (including the 2 disc Morph with DVD- Audio ).

HOWEVER; it sounds like there is a lot of bonus material that makes further investment very tempting. Damn those cunning marketing chaps. Of course I'll weaken. Of course I'll buy them again..... but I'll have to shower afterwards..... I feel so used!

AND..what do I do with my original CD recordings. Shall I become an evangelist of Fagen and bother my friends and family with them. (Please .... just take this free gift and have a listen.... there's no pressure at all friend.... just listen an give a chance for the fagenness to wash over you...)

Sounds creepy TZ... what exactly are you suggesting??

You know I'm going to pre order as soon as I finish this post don't you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 3:37:42 PM PDT
TZ TZ TZ.... I'm surprised at you..... I thought you would be onto Alex like a ton of bricks for his Dirty Work comments.
How do you feel about the song "KINGS" then. As I said earlier it sounds like it comes from a '70's concept album rather than Steely Dan to me.(O.K though)

MILLIONRAINBOWS Hello..... like the songs you mention..... not sure what you mean though.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 3:58:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:58:22 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 5:36:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 30, 2010 5:17:23 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 6:08:05 PM PDT
Alex: There are many great lines in the lyrics.... and they're not overly prescriptive, more cinematic and suggestive,.... as Fagen said on the bonus documentary that came with "Everything Must Go" (you remember? in the back of the Taxi in Vegas) the listener can make their own meaning.

As to fave lines... too many to be pinned down to one BUT the first that comes to mind is:

"SHE SAID MAYBE IT'S THE SKEEVY LOOK IN YOUR EYES
OR THAT YOUR MIND HAS TURNED TO APPLESAUCE
THE DREARY ARCHITECTURE OF YOUR SOUL"

"I SAID; BUT WHAT IS IT EXACTLY TURNS YOU OFF"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 6:23:54 PM PDT
Oh here's one more if you don't mind;

"THE DANGER ON THE ROCKS IS SURELY PAST
STILL I REMAIN TIED TO THE MAST
COULD IT BE I HAVE FOUND MY HOME AT LAST
HOME AT LAST"

You've got to be a part of life and LIVE IT. No good to just stay safe and watch it. That's no home to live in.
How amazing that a band playing popular music can dare to approach Homer's Odyssey without coming off looking pretentious and stupid. Sting and Peter Gabriel can manage this sort of thing also, so I guess it shows just how versitile the medium of pop music really is.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 6:37:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 7:00:22 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 6:47:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:47:19 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2007 7:34:37 PM PDT
G Dubya says:
My votes:

Here At The Western World (Rivals ZZ Top's La Grange as the best tune about a brothel ever).

Time Out Of Mind (Great guitar by Mark Knopfler, interesting Dave Brubeck-esque time changes).

Glamour Profession (Great lyrics which really paint a mental image, great outtro guitar solo. A big reason why I think Gaucho ranks among the Dan's best).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  183
Total posts:  2024
Initial post:  Aug 26, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions