Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

The Led Zeppelin Discography Breakdown Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 890 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 8:09:11 PM PST
We might have to tussle over Bron Y-Aur, but otherwise spot on assesmant for me.

Thank you Michael for saving me the trouble of writing all that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 8:53:53 PM PST
@Buck Buckaw: do you like "Bron" more or less than I did? I did give it four stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 8:56:08 PM PST
It's one of my fave moments on the album, but you're right 4 is fair.

Your summation just sounded a little harsher.

My bad.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 8:59:14 PM PST
@Buck Buckaw: well, compared to the rest of the album I think it's weaker, but I still enjoy it. I like the live Earl's Court version on the DVD set.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:17:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 10:21:29 PM PST
Topper, we don't disagree on"That's the Way". It's a great song. Not all filler is bad filler and I stated that. I like it a lot but it's not a standout track to me. Enjoyable...yes..Very much so.

The reason I give II a higher rating is I'm not basing the ranking on MY personal preferences. If that were the case I would give Pepper 3 stars but we all know it's a 5 star album. My preference for III doesn't make it a better overall album than II, because it's not. Zep II is a classic and while I may prefer III's style a bit better, as an album in and of itself, it's not as successful overall.

Zep III is a great step forward in many ways, stunning and beautiful in it's own way but Zep II is a classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:18:55 PM PST
I agree, topper was mean to that song...LOL..It's killer and if "Hey Hey" had followed....

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:45:16 PM PST
@Exile: I don't know. I think you *should* rate them by your personal preference, rather than some standard of how the album "should" rank, based on its so-called "classic" status. That's how I did my DP reviews--otherwise, I would have been compelled to give "Machine Head" and "Made In Japan" an "A", and the entire point of doing the thread from the viewpoint of someone who didn't quite buy into their legend would have been lost. This is all about how *you* feel about the albums!

Hey, hey what can I say? ;) I like "Bron-Y-Aur", but, I do think "Poor Tom" was a slightly better song in a very similar style. Four out of five stars is still not at all a bad rating. I do agree my review sounded a bit more dismissive than my actual rating. I do feel it sounds a bit like a sketch, though, like they took one good idea and stretched it out to make a song, when it could have been developed a bit more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:50:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 10:50:52 PM PST
>>I do feel it sounds a bit like a sketch, though, like they took one good idea and stretched it out to make a song, when it could have been developed a bit more.<<

There is a ramshakle feel to some of the songs on III, but I think that was a direct refelection of Plant and Page attempting to shake the old persona loose.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:54:50 PM PST
@Buck Buckaw: I think there's polish on the first side of III, but yes, the second side was probably left deliberately raw-sounding to emphasize the pagan folk element they wanted. It certainly gives those songs atmosphere. Although I *still* think "Poor Tom" has the same feel yet is still a better song.

I'm listening to "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" right now and it is a nice one, though. I like the percussion effects.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 10:58:21 PM PST
Well I personally do feel II is the better overall album...but I can play III all day as it is by far the most enjoyable one to me. But I just can't give it a classic rating of 5. I see your point, however, and will take it into account.

As an example, I am a big fan of the Stones' "Goat's Head Soup" but can I, in good faith, give that a ranking as high as "Let it Bleed"? No, I can't. In terms of the Stones overall output I would rank GHS a 3.5....maybe a 4 on a good day..because of it's inconsistency and overall flow.

Zep II was and is a monumental recording and not being a big fan of Zep in general, if I'm not objective about this, all of their albums would have 3 stars ...LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 11:01:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 11:03:00 PM PST
"Poor Tom" suffers for me because it has a more incomplete feel to it than the others and the drums are well forward in the mix.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 11:02:41 PM PST
I understand Exile.

For me this is my favorite Zep album so that automatically makes it a five.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 11:10:48 PM PST
@Exile: It seems to me that you're enjoying these songs a bit more than a three-star rating might indicate...in fact, outside of some of the debut, you've had some pretty kind words to say overall! I'm actually a little surprised, as we haven't disagreed on very much at all (again, outside of the debut).

@Buck Buckaw: well, just goes to show you--the drum pattern on "Poor Tom" is one of the highlights of the song, for me. To me it feels more finished than "Bron".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 11:31:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2013 11:32:20 PM PST
I'm giving these probably as close a listen as I ever have so instead of just saying, "Oh, I don't like Zeppelin" I'm searching for the good qualities as opposed to harping on too much of the negative. I did enjoy III a lot more than I remembered or thought I would. We will see what happens as we move along. IV is everything a rock album should be although it may not necessarily be MY type of rock album BUT starting with "Houses" on through the rest of the catalogue I find Zep to be pretty inconsistent, even on the Epic "Physical Graffiti". I am curious to see if my opinions have changed at all.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 11:50:34 PM PST
@Exile: I have a few problems with PG as well, although I think about 2/3 of it is amazing. But that's jumping ahead of the game a bit, LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2013 11:51:51 PM PST
PG suffers from a dragging tail end, but we'll get there soon enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 8:55:26 AM PST
"Dancing With Mr. D" Rocks!! But Let It Bleed is just passed classic, to me.

I see what your saying of personal preferance vs. importance. IV and II many songs i've heard so much on radio it's hard to be objective about 'em.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 9:45:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 9:47:55 AM PST
I agree Michael, the drums are the stand out element on "Poor Tom". You perhaps might even say they ARE the song.

I just wish they had fleshed out the sound around it a bit more, like they did with "Four sticks".

Could you imagine the butt it would have kicked then?

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 10:55:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 11:07:32 AM PST
CD Lover says:
As we're still discussing III here, I just want to point out how much I like "Gallows Pole", which to me was a remarkable departure from anything Zep had done previously. I particularly love to crank up the song's jam to its climax with JPJ's incredible bass riff leading the charge. It's truly one of my favorite bass riffs of all-time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:19:28 AM PST
I would give Presence, Outhouse and Yoda 2 stars.
And to Make Topper feel better, I would give Fireball, Who Do We Think We Are and Stormbringer 2 stars too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:27:10 AM PST
I agree with "Friends". If Aleister Crowley ever dropped by to see what Jimmy had done to the place, this is the song they would have listened to.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:31:56 AM PST
Ah, that leads us to http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ioZ4pmx3zls/TrmGbvh877I/AAAAAAAAAJM/p0FMUn2oUNc/s1600/2566777926_29063c8d7c_o.jpeg

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 11:42:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 12:08:07 PM PST
http://www.amazon.com/forum/classic%20rock/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx27W1S3VWL232L&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3RLCBJXD0OEX4

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 11:55:33 AM PST
"So What Thou Wilt, So May It Be"......

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:58:06 AM PST
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  890
Initial post:  Dec 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions