Most Underrated Steely Dan Song

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 5:07:54 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:51:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 5:13:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:52:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 5:20:05 PM PDT
Alex... good on ya mate.... enjoy your thoughts.

In further defence against the supposed assumed 100% ascerbic arch sardonic sarcastic smug nature of the 'Dan...... please note the following examples of heart.

WHO MAKES THE MORNING FABULOUS
WHO SAYS TODAY'S A FUN DAY
WHY DO I FEEL LIKE SAILING AGAIN
HONEY IT'S YOU... JAINE RUNAWAY

Ain't love grand. They're just a pair of old softees !

WHO MAKES THE TRAFFIC INTERESTING
RESCUES A DREARY SUNDAY
WHO MAKES ME FEEL LIKE PAINTING AGAIN

I had assumed some time ago(although I really liked the music of Steely Dan), that they would be pretty damn unpleasent people to meet. I don't think that anymore though. I would once have assumed that the idea of Steely Dan interviewing people at random in the back of a taxi in Vegas would be simply to mock those people .... but this proved not to be the case at all. There is a lot of genuine heart and empathic interest in each of those "characters" (real people). This sort of thing made me understand better the catalogue of Steely Dan and view it less two dimensionally.

Just like the music.... the lyrics have more to them than first impressions afford. This is why Steely Dan songs stand up to repeated listenings for years and years without getting old and boring.

(... and hey ...what about Lizzy?!! Would she get a bit annoying? Dizzy thing ... but she actually made proper sense. Perceptive and dizzy... what a combination!)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 5:29:43 PM PDT
TZ Your story about AM radio doctoring the song FM to say AM by utilising the A of A-JA is hilarious.(did that last sentence make any sense at all??) Is the story really true or just an urban myth?. I don't care really... it's just a great story anyway.
Enjoy the trivia points. Always interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 5:42:31 PM PDT
Yeah I'd heard that the Gaucho album was the most expensive album to produce ever. Also took a loooooooong time to produce. I thought it suffered for this in EXACTLY the same way Peter Gabriel's last new album did.(called "UP"). Too much second guessing. Too much agonising over decisions. Too many people involved.
That's why Gaucho ended up being slightly over cooked by the time it was served to the people. Don't get me wrong... I love the Gaucho album... but it definately lost some of the sparkle and immediacy of the AJA album (and earlier material) and popped out of the oven just a little to smooth and safe.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 5:52:15 PM PDT
millionrainbows and TZ;
I've always prized Show Biz Kids as one of the better songs. Love the backing vocals flat jazz chanting style. But what are they saying?. Something about "hot swages"..... what is that..... some sort of delicious mexican cuisine. "Lost wages you're gonna boss splageus"..... wot!!! sorry??.

TZ I know you can put me right.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 6:09:27 PM PDT
Alex.... Oh, Phil Collins can be a serious musician alright. Have you heard his drumming for the band called "Brand X"?. This band ran for years in parallel with Genesis. Very serious "music for Musos" if you know what I mean. Sophisticated high end jazz fusion that is so damn clever and complicated that to my lazy ears it is rendered unlistenable. (Look how clever and complicated we can be while remaining technically and mathematically correct!!!)

I do not understand how the same guy can produce sick making radio friendly songs like "One More Night" (gimmee just one more night ... oooh...oooh...oooohh) and Sussssudio (soo soo sudio..... oh...oh).

By the way... as to Phil Collin's most underrated song IMHO. The first track on his 2nd solo album. The obvious sequel to "In the Air Tonight"........(drum roll).....was......... (extended drum roll)........... "I DON'T CARE ANYMORE".

Certainly not an anthem to live by ..... but it is SUCH a powerful song. Unbelievable!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 6:10:20 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 7:38:50 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 7:16:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:40:17 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 7:24:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:39:18 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 7:25:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:40:17 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 7:29:47 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:54:20 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 7:34:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 7:38:50 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 8:35:42 PM PDT
TZ: I see Two Against Nature as being up there with AJA really. It's as good as anything they've ever done. It's certainly better than Gaucho. The thing that amazed me when I first heard TAN was that it didn't sound like there had been any long hiatus between albums. As if Steely Dan lost their footing a tiny bit with Gaucho, but did a brilliant follow up in TAN the following year. (gee it was actually decades apart wasn't it?)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 8:41:26 PM PDT
There are a lot of kind of weird concepts and characters in Steely Dan songs. What the hell is Gaslighting Abby about? I don't think I want to know because it might ruin future enjoyment of the song......(love the music and feel of the song.)I do like that the lyrics are usually just images and snapshots rather than prescriptive (restrictive) narratives.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 1:30:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 30, 2010 5:25:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 5:55:24 AM PDT
Alex: The movie Director Michael Mann released a special Director's Cut of the Miami Vice 2006 movie. So very much better than the hastily edited theatrical version. (Again thank heavens for the internet and Amazon and such..... because only the poorer theatrical version is available in Australia. Crazy!. ANYWAY..... I was surprised at how well the updated (NONPOINT ? is the name of the band) version of "In the Air Tonight" worked in the movie. The director's version moved this song back to where the team was preparing for the big final shootout. Actually a lot of the soundtrack music was shifted about for the Director's cut. It was a neat nod to the original TV pilot episode you mentioned.

Just to remain in the fold of this conversation, let me add the following phrase.

Steely Dan.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 6:23:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:42:18 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 6:32:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:43:18 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 6:45:37 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:47:19 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 9:39:24 AM PDT
I have a book containing sheet music for all Dan albums through "Aja" and, if it is to be believed, the line in Show Biz Kids is " Go to Las Wages,". Also, in Doctor Wu, the line is "She is lovely, yes, she's sly,". These agree with what I hear from my speakers, too. On that subject, if we're taking a poll, in Midnite Cruiser I hear "Felonius" with an F.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 10:30:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:42:17 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 11:55:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 22, 2012 7:38:51 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 3:59:56 PM PDT
B J Mark/ TZ : are you sure about the DR WU lyric...... I've always been confused on this one. "She's lovely , yes she's ......" You say "sly" and I had thought "fly". Please understand that I live in Australia (although your President is staying not 50 kilometers from me in Sydney at the moment) and I'm sometimes not totally sure of your slang terms. I had thought that the term "FLY" in this context meant "sleek smart cool and attractive".... is this right? Also, I had the impression (possibly wrong)that it was a term that an African American could effectively use but that it would sound silly or forced from the mouth of a white person.(Can't dance or jump you see). Is this correct? Has this changed over time?
Either way, the idea of the character in the song being "SLY" in Dr Wu doesnt seem to fit to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 4:12:01 PM PDT
TZ thanks for the Gaucho story. Hadn't heard about the yello cab accident. Really nothing but trouble on that album. Still though... a lot of trouble brought on themselves by mucking about second guessing every tiny detail and generally agonising too much. Compare that to how Everything Must Go was popped out. Not their best album by far but it's got a sparkle and some rough edges that give it life! Gaucho was so thoroughly processed and refined and smoothed and checked and filtered and rechecked and redone and remixed and on and on ......
No wonder they stopped for a holiday after that one.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  184
Total posts:  2026
Initial post:  Aug 26, 2007
Latest post:  22 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions