Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Jon Lord dead. Is that it for a Deep Purple Reunion?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 15, 2012 1:34:58 AM PDT
Love Spinal Tap. Great movie and tops in music movies. Almost Famous really great, love that movie. Cadillac Records a bummer for me. Chess was one of the greatest labels ever. Just Muddy and The Wolf are enough for a movie. But Little Walter, Chuck Berry.... and the different eras, not covered to well. More like a lifetime movie than a great film or a decent music film.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 6:36:39 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
alysha -- coming from someone who feels Spinal Tap deserves every bit of cult status praise it gets, I think the reason many people give it repeated viewings is that nearly every time some of us (me included) watch it, there's something else that jumps out at you. The first time I watched it, there were one or two scenes I laughed at. By the 7-8th time and beyond, I was laughing at nearly every scene. It ain't for everybody, but... I digz it.

Another great music related movie: Cadillac Records.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 2:42:58 PM PDT
B L T says:
Favorite rock oriented movie: "School of Rock"
Favorite sports oriented movie: "The Bad News Bears" (1976)

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 1:49:10 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
"Spinaltap" the movie - I have seen it, probably more than once. But it was so long ago I don't remember much of the details. At the time I thought it was an "O.K." movie . BUT what came to really turn me off is the way some people idolized it as a cult movie SO Much, and would watch it repeatedly. My best friends boyfriend at the time was like that. So She wanted to watch the movie all the time, and it left me Not wanting to see it! Emotions aside, I could maybe stand to watch it again with a more objective view.

I Loved the movie "Almost Famous". The movie "Rock Star" is definitely worth a viewing , or two. What I remember most about that movie is the song "Stranglehold"!

This summer I saw "Rock of Ages", O.K. go ahead and laugh and point now! Get over it. I loved the movie! One online review site even ranked it JUST one point below "Spinal Tap" as a great rock movie. Yes Julianne Hough is the cheesiest of cheese, and so was half the story, but it was worth it to see Tom Cruise portray a half burned out rock star :o).

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 7:16:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2012 8:12:47 PM PDT
Fortizymo

"Who wants to play with a ego maniac night after night"? Thats what the other members did when they took the stage with Blackmore night after night. Are you F-ing kidding me?

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 6:40:36 PM PDT
Yes I agree that Satch was better than any one else. I also loved Bolin on Come Taste the Band. I saw him twice at Winterland and he was good. But Morse is not right. I can't stand to see that same shirt with the Lone Wolf on it. He doesn't look rock and roll to me. And he plays wrong for thta style of music. That's why i said Yngwie. but he's too full of himself and rightfully so. He's amazing. But who wants to play with an ego maniac night after night. That said, I'd be great to have Purple do the 40th anniversary recreation of Made in Japan and Yngwie could do it. Why there hasn't been more of a build up for that is crazy to me. Oh yeah, Ritchie and Jon aren't in the band anymore.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 6:18:02 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I miss Ritchie more than anyone else in Purple...Blackmore was Purple tantrums and all!
That being said I also dug the Bolin record and show I saw from that tour...Tommy was on fire that night! (Long Beach 1976)
I happen to also like House of Blue Light even though most fans don't.
I wish I had seen Mach III...I didn't see Mach II until Strangers and that show flat out rocked.
As far as Morse goes, two words...Dixie Dregs...what a band!

RIP JON...I miss ya big time!!!

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 12:10:40 AM PDT
In Deep Purple Morse is a hired gun and so was Satriani. Morse is a better fusion type player and Satriani a great composer of instrumentals and a great teacher. Both can play Purple stuff but not part of the band, more like have guitar will travel. ; )

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 6:04:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2012 7:42:47 AM PDT
ulijon says:
I saw Morse with DP in 2002 (with Dio opening!) and thought he did a really good job live, I would have loved to see them with Satch but anything Satch does is pretty good.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 5:44:57 PM PDT
I love Steve Morse. I saw him live on one of his solo tours. I also love Deep Purple. But also think he really isn't a good fit with Deep Purple. I do have the DVD with Morse but don't own any Morse Deep Purple albums.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 5:23:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 5:51:59 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
I think Satriani played with them for about a year. Yeah, only live. He replaced Ritchie when he left, bolted before the end of their tour that year, '93. I've heard some live stuff and I'm sure if some people weren't paying attention or didn't know both guitarists they might mistake one for the other. But Satriani would have put his own stamp and sensibilities on the band and it would have been pretty interesting to see how they gelled. Bottom line is Satriani "got it".

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 5:09:03 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I agree Satriani would have been a very good fit but they never did record anything with him. I don't remember much about his short time with DP. I know he played with them live but did he do any US tours and did anyone see him with Purple? If so, how was it?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 4:20:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2012 6:23:16 AM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
I wouldn't have been too thrilled with Yngwie. He worships Ritchie and Purple but he's another guy who plays like he's had ten cups of coffee. Different animal than Morse but I doubt he would have been able to help himself and would just revert to masturbating all over the guitar without the feeling, emotions and intangibles Ritchie had all over him. He is what he is, as ego maniacal as Ritchie could be but as a musician/guitarist/songwriter no where near as interesting.

I would have liked to see them keep Satriani. Anyone who has heard some of his solo stuff the last ten years would see how well he feels his way around a song. He "knows" what an exciting chord, solo is all about. He knows how to use minor chords, instead of just doing up and down scales, like Morse does endlessly. He knows how to extend the tension, excitement that is inherent in many DP songs, unlike Morse. And he understands the DP tone. Something Morse is pathetically clueless about.

Unfortunately Satriani wanted to continue his solo career at the time. Because DP also wanted him to stay. And then they choose Morse, the ultimate team player but incredibly wrong for Deep Purple. Will never understand how someone as astute musically as Glover (he helped with the production and edited many of their songs and always had a good ear for what's good) went along with this decision. Morse never was a good fit and no one can convince me Glover didn't know that. But...again they wanted to get someone who could get along and probably thought..wow..look at this guy go up and down the fretboard when they were auditioning him. Too bad he's playing that same solo, chords, scales now as he probably did in back in 1993.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 3:52:33 PM PDT
Steve plays like he's speed typing. I've heard Roger Glover say that its just the way Steve plays. Apparantly Steve can't stop playing the Chromatic Scale. While Ritchie plays a blues scale which to me has such an emotional impact. And that explains why Steve though great, has never had a huge band besides filling in with Kansas and Purple. I can't relate to most of his playing. Yngwie is the same way when he plays the Harmonic Minor (classical) scale. It gets tedious and boring. But when he plays blues rock it is amazing. If Yngwie would play more of the blues scale, maybe he wouldn've been the one to replace Ritchie in Purple. Which is what should've happened in the first place. But Ian and the boys didn't want to deal with Ritchie junior and I can't blame them. Its too bad tho bcs I think that Yngwie woul'dve learned to slow it down and play the song instead of trying to show off all the damn time.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 12:00:39 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Re : (Morse) His style is almost emotionless just a bunch of notes blah blah blah

I've said the same sort of thing Fortizymo a million times around here. Ten seconds of Ritchie has got more substance, excitement and emotion than hours of Morse doodling up and down the fretboard.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 11:47:17 AM PDT
Working Man says:
I have never seen them either. MK II was over just before I started to go to concerts and in the 80's when they reunited I just wasn't going to any concerts at all at that time. Deep Purple is the one show I am waiting on and while I don't like the term "Bucket List", seeing Deep Purple live is # 1 on my bucket list of concerts, with Robin Trower #2. I have pretty much seen everyone else I would want to see live. That's not to say I didn't miss others but Deep Purple and Trower are 1 and 2.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 11:43:25 AM PDT
I've never liked Morse in Purple. Sure there were a bunch of good even great songs but he plays different. His style is almost emotionless just a bunch of notes blah blah blah. If they would've gotten another guitarist I'd probably buy a few albums. I did get a copy of Live Abandon and it was good. But a bit bland. So Im stuck waiting for live albums from the Mk II era. I enjoyed the reuinion there are some amazing live things out there. Blackmore was playing his ass off in 1993. And I liked most of The Battle Rages On. If Purple canned Morse and got someone who plays more flashy bluesy I'd definitely buy it. But his leads and pinch harmonics on every verse get on my nerves. Then theres the speed leads with no real direction. Hell I'd play better than him lol. JK but you get my point. It's time for Purple to move on and try another guitarist.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 9:19:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2012 9:22:10 PM PDT
bass boy says:
I would like to see a reunion, but I also like the current lineup. Their 2007 gig at the House of Blues in Dallas was awesome. They were firing on all cylinders that night, even though it was the end of their massive tour to promote "Rapture of the Deep." Airey was solid, but all the other guys were at the top of their game. Glover was doing things on the bass that night that I didn't know he could do. They did three new songs, two or three from the 1990s and the rest were the classics, which was fine by me, being that it was my first (and so far only) DP concert. Here's to hoping they tour the U.S. again (and not just on the coast/north.) Like The Who, Deep Purple is missing original (classic lineup) members but still is a concert worth seeing, without question.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 8:38:57 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I don't see a reunion either. I miss Blackmore in Purple very much too but I still enjoy the current lineup even if they are nowhere close to MK II. As for Morse getting kicked to the curb, bass boy you're right he's got other projects going on now anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 10:56:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2012 10:58:37 AM PDT
bass boy says:
I really don't see a Purple Mark II (minus Lord) reunion happening. After their 2007 show at the House of Blues in Dallas, Texas, Paice, Glover and Gillan were as happy as clams. Someone in the room joked about Blackmore, and you could tell the vibe of the room changed quickly. I think Ritchie has no interest in a reunion with them, and I think Deep Purple has no interest in reuniting with Blackmore. Gillan told me it's much like a divorce, when a band splits (and it often can be very nasty.) His words to me that day are probably the same words he would say today. Gillan said, in 2007, he would play with Jon Lord in a second. When asked about Ritchie, Gillan said "Blackmore? No, the divorce came through and is final, and Ritchie has the kids." Pink Floyd reunited for Live 8 in 2005 (was it really seven years ago now?), so strange things can happen. But with Purple/Blackmore, I think there's even more bad blood between them than there used to be between Waters and Mason/Wright/Gilmour. A Mark II reunion would be great, atlhough I would hate to see Morse get kicked to the curb (even though he's in 11 other bands). I'm just not holding my breath for Blackmore to kiss and make up with DP.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 9:52:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2012 8:00:29 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
I wish that "essence" was still there in the music Working Man. It's just not and it's hard for me to "compromise". Can I enjoy it? Ehhh, yes and no... that's really a tough one because as I said there's so much that's different and not necessarily in a good way.

As you probably know, I can't stand Morse in Purple, feel he was a terrible choice. But he ain't going anywhere and has been around longer than Ritchie was. If I felt there was any hope the guy would ever actually begin to understand what the DP sound was all about I would be all pumped for any Purple release. But he doesn't get it, never has. And I don't just "blame" Morse, it's Glover and Gillan who, no matter what PC things they say about the band, know deep down the fire and electricity is missing. After all the drama with Ritchie, when Morse came aboard, they just wanted some peace and quiet and more of a team type band. Understandable from their perspective but the music has suffered. Sure, sooner or later you just have to "accept" this Purple but since you and I and millions of others loved them, we pine for the old Purple.

You just wish there wasn't such a divide between Blackmore and the rest of the guys....and like you say..enjoy them while you can. Obviously I'm aware of that....but I guess I still hope some of the other Purple members lurking around put something together too so at least we can hear "Ritchie Purple" again. Even if they wanted to it seems to me Morse is the stumbling block for any MK II reunion. He's gotta go...and ofcourse that would be a tumultuous decision that could blow up in their face in no time.

Bottom line, when Gillan and Glover and Paice are at home thinking about things they gotta know that putting something together with Ritchie again would truly excite the existing fan base. But I guess it's like a bad marriage and they continue to stick with what's comfortable. Might be good for their stress levels...;)...but the music needs the Ritchie touch again...even with all the angst.

Just wishful thinking....as always when it comes to Purple.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 9:31:00 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Well, yes. Maybe "prejudice" is a strong word but everyone in this world is so friggin' sensitive these days. I had a hard time accepting the changes too but I was not directing my comments at anyone in particular. I agree with you on your assessment but I still enjoy the current lineup and I could care less about defending them. I was saying that I was putting aside my prejudice and not pointing it anyone else. I could care less who likes them and who doesn't.

The real reason I often talk about current lineups of Deep Purple or Yes or Lynyrd Skynyrd is that I originally did not like the changes and strayed from the bands but I have since rediscovered them (and others bands) and I thoroughly enjoy them. As I mentioned these bands and artists aren't going to be around for ever and I am soaking up what I can. There will never be another new studio album from Deep Purple MK II lineup so I need to get what I can. Is the current lineup as good as MK II? No, but it's all we have and I still enjoy it.

Please, re-read my post, it talks about my prejudice and not anyone else's and if it read differentaly than I apologize. I know you're a Deep Purple and Blackmore fan as I am too. Like you said they are among my favorites in the top five or six depending on my mood.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 5:45:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2012 9:33:15 AM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
"Prejudice" Working Man? That's kind of a strong word for people that are not enamored with much of Purples output post Blackmore and Lord. But especially Blackmore IMO. I think Airey is an acceptable Keyboard player but just like Blackmore no one can fill Lords shoes. But with type of music they pump out these days, he's adequate enough.

Maybe you're tired of all the they're not the same without Ritchie talk but that's a very valid opinion. It means you don't think the music's as good much without those musicians....with everything they brought to the band. Change is inevitable but you're not obligated to like that change just because you're a fan. If anything, that would magnify the comparisons between what they are now and what they were.

It's fine if you feel the need to "stick up" for this Purple lineup. But no one loves them more than I do and there's a huge difference between "prejudice" and being a hardcore, thoroughly knowledgeable fan who believes every facet of their being has changed since Blackmore left. The songwriting, the live shows, their sound, the essence of their music...just to name a few. But that is no surprise when you take a these musicians away...ones who basically gave them their sound. Sure you can include Gillan but the roar, the tone, their essence and the magic between Blackmore and Lord...was dictated ofcourse by...Blackmore and Lord.

You can like this version but you can't tell people, especially ones that know as much or more about them than you do..that their opinion is prejudice or pre-conceived or lacking something...or whatever "point" you were trying to make.

I respect your opinion of DP, I know they're one of your favorite bands but an opinion different than yours doesn't mean there's a prejudice. In my case...it's a sadness that something so great was lost while acknowledging (as I have) that they've put out some good music without Blackmore/Lord.

When you're extremely passionate about a band, their music, their whole career your opinions are going to be passionate as well...good, bad and everything in between.

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 5:15:43 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Matthew, I am with you and will buy the new Deep Purple album as soon as it comes out just like I bought the new Rush and pre-ordered the Skynyrd and ZZ Top cds. You're right that there is not going to be much music left from our favorites and I plan on enjoying it while I can and that includes throwing out any prejudice about albums without key or original members. Yes, I miss Blackmore and Lord in Purple but as you said Airey is okay though I miss Blackmore more since his solos were irreplacable IMO. However, the Morse era albums are good hard rock music and there's enough of what made me enjoy Deep Purple in the first place to enjoy with Airey, Paice, Morse and of course Glover and Gillan. From what I read about this upcoming album is that the band wasn't sure it was worth making and I am glad they decided to go ahead with it. So, I am not so sure there will be another new album after this one.

Posted on Aug 17, 2012 1:29:59 PM PDT
Regarding the Deep Purple reunion - I personally miss Jon from the band more than Ritchie! I think Perpendicular and Abandon are pretty strong albums (at least as good as House of Blue Light and Slaves and Masters), and on that topic, I agree with Alexmontrose's point: the Morse Purple was different, but then the "reunion" MKII wasn't the same as the 70s version either. The two Don Airey albums are pretty good, but they seem a little lighter than the previous Purple (although, no more so than House of Blue Light did than Perfect Strangers, I suppose). So, I'm sad we'll never hear him with Purple again, but considering he hasn't played with them for the past 12 years or so, I don't think it was likely anyway . . .
I'd definitely buy a new Deep Purple CD with Blackmore, even with Airey on keys (he's not bad - honestly, they may've just mixed him too low on the CDs he's on), but then I'll grab a new CD by the current lineup as soon as it appears, also!
I'm afraid a lot of our favorite classic late 60s bands will be losing original members, the ages of the musicians and current life expectancy are about the same right now!

regarding the Spinal Tap topic that's taken over:
I think Spinal Tap is a funny movie, with some great jokes in it ("it goes to 11" makes me pretty happy), but I also understand why some music fans/musicians aren't fans of this movie. The problem is, a lot of people can't differentiate the jokes from the real music world. So, someone has a stage show, and idiots go, "ha ha ha, that's SOOO Spinal Tap!". No, it's not - it's only Spinal Tap if they are supposed to have a Stone Henge that's 12 feet tall and it turns out to be 12 inches tall. See, there, the SCALE mistake is what's funny, not the actual stage set. It's like going to church and having someone make a Life of Brian reference at every passage the priest reads from the Bible. For those of us who love rock music, we don't need someone making fun of something that's important and meaningful to us. Yeah, you can make jokes ABOUT it, but when the whole thing is seen as a joke, that's kind of annoying.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions