Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Best and worst song on this album #3: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 105 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 15, 2012 8:20:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 8:21:04 PM PDT
Results from Quadrophenia:
Best: The Real Me
Worst: Bell Boy

A Night at the Opera is still open.

Now for Floyd
Best song - Us and Them
Worst song - On the Run

Time is a close second for best though. Brain Damage and Eclipse work best when played as the album's conclusion; even paired together they just feel incomplete out of context.
Your reply to the_third_curry's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 8:43:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 8:55:55 PM PDT
It's my fave Floyd album.

Best: "Brain Damage/Eclipse" (I can't separate 'em either)
Worst: "Money" - Other than the fact that it's been way overplayed, it sticks out like a sore thumb compared with the rest of the songs and I've never thought it really fit well in the release.

Honourable mention: "Time" - The guitar solo on the song is amazing and one of my fave solos ever.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 8:51:52 PM PDT
Best--Time
Worst--Money

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 8:56:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 8:57:07 PM PDT
Best--Time
Worst--Money
I know it's a hit, but it's still the worst.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 8:58:45 PM PDT
Best: Us and Them
Worst: Great Gig in the Sky

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:07:55 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Best - Time (This one was very close, just nudging out Brain Damage/Eclipse and I has absolutely no problem with Money. It's a classic, overplayed maybe, but still a classic).

Worst - Great Gig in the Sky (for me this is the worst by far, I didn't have to think twice about this one. I have dissliked this songs from the beginning).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:10:55 PM PDT
You have no problem with Money? Lucky you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 9:13:08 PM PDT
I've heard that many times about "Great Gig"...some don't like the wailing vocals on it. Never bothered me. Clare Torry sued the band for co-songwriting credit and won, her name is now included in subsequent releases.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 9:16:09 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
Best) "Us and Them" (w/apologies to "Time")
Worst) "Money"

If cd's were a format when this masterpiece came out, "Money" either probably would not have been a part of the album or would have "flowed" from the previous song just like all the rest of the songs do (i.e. no side 2 to turn the LP over for), and very likely have sounded a lot different.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 11:43:13 PM PDT
I never liked "Great Gig" too much until I saw the "Dark Side/Wizard Of Oz" synchronicity. Seeing that somehow made me appreciate the music much, much more and now I can see why it's a masterpiece. And of course it fits that tornado scene so frighteningly well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:24:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 2:05:49 PM PDT
Yep, plus "Us and Them" when the camera switches back and forth from the witch to Dorothy, "Money" where the munchkins pop up and down along with the cash register noises and "Brain Damage" when the scarecrow is singing "If I Only Had a Brain". The coincidences are really quite startling and I find it hard to believe that the album wasn't at all influenced by the film as the band members have proclaimed. Even the rainbow on the cover of the album corresponds with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".

All of this (besides the brilliant music, concept and production) just furthers my view as well that the album is a masterpiece. And I don't think many could argue that fact even if they don't care for it.

Here's a good link for those that wish to explore the Dark Side of Oz further:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/darkside/darksideofoz.html

Synch on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNGM50vQXYk

Nick Mason's reaction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoAIY_6qkmU&feature=related

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:52:43 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Yes, it is vocals that drive me crazy in "Great Gig in the Sky". I used to absolutely hate it, I can listen to it once in a wild now. I guess I can tolerate it. I can see everyone's point with "Money" but since that song was actually my introduction to Pink Floyd and then the DSOTM album it is kind of special for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 9:59:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 9:59:50 AM PDT
You know, I avoided 'DSOTM' for a long time because of "Money" and the fact that it was so heavily played and I never liked it much anyway. I started out a Barrett-era fan, but when I finally listened to 'Dark Side' in its entirety I was completely astounded. "Money" aside (it's not THAT bad, but it's not great either) such an album is a rarity. I've never heard another album since that has affected me in quite the way this one has and it's influenced my own songwriting as a musician.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:18:39 AM PDT
Zaplightning says:
worst - Great Gig In The Sky
best - Time

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:45:10 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Best-Time
Worst-really hard as I consider this a perfect album but I'll go with Any Colour You Like

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 12:05:22 PM PDT
Best:Great Gig in The Sky
Worst:Money

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:21:08 PM PDT
Now that is a first for me. I do believe I've never seen anyone pick "Great Gig" as the best, Russell. Interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:32:23 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
venussanfurs,

"Great Gig" just might be my favorite, too, but the reasons why are not for mixed company, much less the Amazon censors

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:35:10 PM PDT
LOL. Gotcha Ogre. No need to elabourate further. ;o)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:29:05 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
Now I'm wondering what you got, and if further elaboration might be needed...

I'll just say that it wasn't a solo, that it was all her idea, and leave it at that

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:33:17 PM PDT
Yeah, I know, they brought her in and told her to improvise. And I must say, what she did was brilliant, though it goes on a bit too long for me.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 1:34:54 PM PDT
@venussansfurs: the "coincidences" in the DSOTM/WOZ synch are in the dozens; I remember I counted all the ones I could see once (and I wasn't trying to stretch it or count dubious synchs, only really obvious ones) and it was like 67 or something. I still have that list somewhere...OTOH I do not believe that the band had anything to do with it. I really can't explain it.

"Money" isn't bad, it's just a little slow-moving for me for a rocker, and it does seem musically a little out of place with the rest of the album. Plus, the radio overplay really *doesn't* help. It's a good song, though, and very well-produced as is the whole album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:40:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 2:01:51 PM PDT
Most of them are on this link that I provided before above, Michael:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/darkside/darksideofoz.html

I just had another look at that site and wasn't aware that the coincidences continue if you put your CD on repeat and play it through to the end of the film. Haven't tried that before!

Even if it wasn't something the band did intentionally, it is still truly uncanny to say the least.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:56:36 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
venus,

RE: Yeah, I know

No, you don't

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 2:47:22 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
That vocal in "Great Gig" is (censored) AWESOME!!

It's funny how some folks (fans of the same music, no less) like some stuff but not others, and vice versa.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  105
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions