Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

If you could pick only 3 Rolling Stones Albums.........

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 5, 2012 12:55:02 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
Which 3 would you pick?

I currently have "Hot Rocks" compilation. It's just the digital download, not even a CD. And while it's a great compilation, I would Like to start compiling some Stones albums.

But they have So Many Albums! I feel a bit overwhelmed (not to mention poor!). So if you only could take 3 Stones albums to a desert island, which 3 would you take?

You can include compilations, live albums etc if you want. Also honorary mention lists.
Your reply to alysha25's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 5, 2012 1:11:10 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
I take that back. I do have an album called "Flashpoint" that I've never liked. Not sure why. I guess I am thinking more along the lines of studio albums in general. But if there's a compilation or live album that you just LOVE by all means mention it.

Posted on May 5, 2012 1:11:28 PM PDT
slats el says:
The Big Four are the Big Four. For 90% of Stones fans, it's whatever you consider the three best of those. For me, it's Beggars Banquet, Exile on Main Street, and Let It Bleed. Hon. Mention Sticky Fingers.

Posted on May 5, 2012 1:12:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 1:16:49 PM PDT
Easy!

Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street

Beggars Banquet

THEN:

Some Girls
Get Yer Ya Ya's Out (By far their best live document..unless you want DVDs in which case, "Ladies And Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones")
Tattoo You
Aftermath UK edition
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Between The Buttons UK

THEN:

Goat's Head Soup
It's Only Rock And Roll...

Can you tell I'm a fan? I'll stop here..

Posted on May 5, 2012 1:53:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2012 1:56:28 PM PDT
I, too, would likely go with (in order of preference):

Exile On Main Street
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers

My next three would be:

Some Girls
Forty Licks (My favorite Stones compilation)
It's Only Rock n Roll

If funds aren't a problem, just go with all six! You can never have too many good Stones albums to play around with and make compilations from...:)

Posted on May 5, 2012 4:00:44 PM PDT
1. Let It Bleed
2. Get Yer Ya-yas Out
3. Its Only Rock And Roll

Posted on May 5, 2012 6:07:46 PM PDT
Sticky Fingers
December's Children
Tattoo You

At least, that's the way I'm going at this moment.

Posted on May 5, 2012 6:44:07 PM PDT
Aftermath
Beggars Banquet
Satanic Majesties Request

I liked them better when they were British.

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:13:57 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
On Vinyl I used to have:

Aftermath
Sticky Fingers (yep, it even had a real zipper!)
Satanic Majesties
Tatoo You
Let it Bleed

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2012 7:50:35 PM PDT
Casual fans may have other picks, but I think a large msjority of long-time, hard-core Stones fans agree that the "Big 4" are so far above any other Stones' albums that you should start with those four and not just three. If it were just a game where you had to pick only three, we'd find one to eliminate because there are degrees even within the "Big 4." But since you're talking about starting to acquire albums, I'd say the "Big 4" are absolutely essential.

Posted on May 5, 2012 7:54:40 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Aftermath
Beggars Banquet
Some Girls

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:12:06 PM PDT
Only 3, then for me it would have to be

Sticky Fingers
Let It Bleed
Exile On Main Street

These have been suggested by several others... It must be good advice...

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:25:39 PM PDT
Just start with "Let it Bleed". It's full of great music. If you love it, and you will, go with "Beggars Banquet". Then go back and get some of the early albums: "England's Newest Hitmakers", "12x5" and work your way up to "Exile". After "Exile", get "Some Girls".

Posted on May 5, 2012 10:46:46 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
1) Beggars Banquet

2) Let It Bleed

3) Sticky Fingers

And then: Exile, Satanic, Girls, Aftermath, Buttons and Out of Our Heads are all great.

I know that "Hot Rocks" was, for many years, the absolute ULTIMATE 'Greatest Hits' album ever released. But I would have to say that "Singles Collection: The London Years" is even better.

Not only does it have 18 of the 21 songs from "Hot Rocks", but 30 MORE songs, including 5 or 6 b-sides that had never appeared on anything after the single.

If you're going to get a compilation, this is definitely the one to go with.

Posted on May 6, 2012 2:55:40 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
Thanks for all your answers. They just have So Many albums!

Just out of curiosity does anyone here have ALL of their albums? Or all of the studio albums?

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 3:15:22 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
All the American studio albums. But I almost never listen to anything after "Tattoo You".

I also have "Singles Collection: The London Years" (essential to have for a number of otherwise unavailable b-sides from the '60's), "Get Your Ya-Ya's Out" (including the 5 "extra" tracks from the 2009 box set version) and a number of priceless bootlegs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 3:22:04 PM PDT
I have all of the studio albums from Afermath on, except for Steel Wheels. And most of the live ones too.

Only 3? I would say

Exile On Main Street
Sticky Fingers
Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 3:27:57 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
I initially stayed away from the earlier albums because of all the cover versions. But after "jonesing" bad for some "new" Stones, finally broke down and got them.

And am I ever glad that I did!

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 3:29:40 PM PDT
I don't do covers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 3:34:33 PM PDT
Lew Archer says:
I hear you!

But there ARE a number of Glimmer Twin-penned tunes to be had on those albums.

If nothing else, you could download individually the originals and make your own compilation.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 4:19:38 PM PDT
I have already done that and have them all.

Posted on May 6, 2012 6:45:26 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Well, I'd have to go with 40 Licks as that's a double and has a ton of great tunes from all periods.

After that, my top 3 recommended Stones albums would be:

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Let It Bleed
3. Tattoo You

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 7:00:06 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Of their U.S. studio albums I have "The Rolling Stones, Now!" and every one since "Aftermath". They've had some really good ones, and some not so good, but every album has at least several good songs. "Satanic Majesties" is my least favorite. I think it has 3 songs I like.

Posted on May 6, 2012 7:05:09 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I dont have a problem with covers. I'd rather have a great album of covers than a bad album of original songs. The Animals were one of the greatest bands ever. The original band did almost all covers until they became Eric Burdon and The Animals, but that was a different line-up.

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:00:45 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Easy:
Exile
Goat's Head
Only RnR

Three from Taylor...back to back to back...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  May 5, 2012
Latest post:  May 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions