Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Of the 4, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix, who is the best and why and rank them 1 to 4.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 283 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 8:37:14 AM PDT
good choices. lets not forget the other guitar God, stevie ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:21:25 AM PDT
Zep is the greatest band ever on the day you turn 18. See if you feel The same way 12 years from now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:33:50 AM PDT
Timothy Berry-Bands like Black Sabbath,Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Jimi Hendrix were my favorite bands back when I first started listening to music way back in the day and here I am 54 years old and still digging their music. Of course I also love Megadeth, early Metallica, Slayer, Overkill, Pantera etc. and they came out about 13-15 years after Sabbath, Zep, Purple and Jimi came out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 10:49:47 AM PDT
zep was the greatest band ever the day i turned 13. still the best.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 11:35:57 AM PDT
B L T says:
I've mellowed, my tastes in music has changed over the last several years. Heavier rock like Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and others were a huge influence on me in the 60's/early 70's. I lived the accompanying lifestyle these bands and the era created. Several 60's/70's bands played a role in shaping who I am today and I still listen to them occasionally, just not very often. If a burglar broke into my home and stole all my music, I don't know how much of the 'classic' stuff I'd replace. Pink Floyd I'd replace, but honestly I don't think I'd replace the harder rock.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 1:11:42 AM PDT
Chops

Hendrix/Beck
Clapton
Page

Musicianship:

Beck
Hendrix
Clapton
Page

Songwriting and Riffs

Page
Hendrix
Clapton
Beck

Originality

Hendrix
Page
Beck
Clapton

Rythymn Playing

Hendrix
Page
Clapton
Beck

Lead Playing

Hendrix
Beck
Clapton
Page

Experimentation

Beck
Hendrix
Page
Clapton

Feel and Influence

4 way tie

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 8:27:01 AM PDT
Fischman says:
NIce Post, AF

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 6:08:20 PM PDT
All great bands, no doubt. I just found that I got tired of Zep over time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2012 6:15:35 PM PDT
you know, it's funny... when i was 14 i endlessly listened to zep, and not anything else. as a discovered more bands, zep got pushed to the wayside, but i've just rediscovered my love for them!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 1:27:14 AM PDT
Thanks, Fischman!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:28:37 PM PDT
Hi, I am Jorge from Mexico, I agree somehow on what you say, on my teenage I loved Zep, Purple, Sabbath, etc. Now, I still love all that music, but I hardly still listen to the live recordings, all those 10, 15, 20 up to 28 minutes songs, find them kind of boring (not as Pink Floyd songs, those could be 1 hour long and I like them a lot). At the same time, all the screaming in a lot of songs, I barely stand it for a long period. But I still do like to hear all the studio recordings from all of them. For example, if you hear Zep early days, and the latter days, now at my age (46), I find it more enjoyable latter days. Back to main subject. who is the best of these 4?, on my opinion:
1.- Page - Zep days
2.- Beck - With Jan Hammer Group Live, There and Back, Guitar Shop and Live at Ronnie Scott
3.- Hendrix - First 2 albums
4.- Clapton - Just One Night and Journeyman

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 9:01:04 PM PDT
it's funny, i can listen to "The Song Remains The Same, live 1973" concert all the way through and never get bored (except for the cello bow on the guitar in dazed and confused... gets a little drawn out!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 6:26:23 PM PDT
That is what I am referring, those long guitar solos, also Whole Lotta Love, I love all these songs, but without the cello bow, the long synth. But I still enjoy a lot Bonzo's solo, 1, 3, 5 up to 19 minutes (best drummer ever).

For example, on the cd Page Plant Unledded, Page is great, with no extra long solos, just what is needed.

Maybe I am getting old, and that is why I cannot stand anymore those extra super long solos

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:06:24 PM PDT
bonzo was the best, as jimmy is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:23:38 PM PDT
Fischman says:
You may want to chek out the Rainbow Live in Munich 1977 DVD. Blackmore get's pretty self indulgent, but it's good stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:25:49 PM PDT
oh i own it. i own every known recording of ronnie james dio (even the ronnie and red caps around 1960)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 7:50:04 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Sweet--even I don't get started with Ronnie until Elf.

He definitely got to play with some killer axemen; Blackmore, Iommi, and the criminally underappreciated Vivian Campbell!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 9:31:23 PM PDT
Got the CD, it is great. Blackmore is one of my favorite guitar player. From Deep Purple up to Rainbow, and still like some stuff from Blackmore's Night

There are a lot of great guitar players, it will take a lot of time to talk. In fact, I still find some old ones, that I have not heard them before.

I was surprised when I heard a song from Jefferson Starship, Save Your Love, this was 3 years ago (the song was released 1981), the solo guitar at the end I like it a lot, Craig Chaquico plays pretty good. This solo may sound simple, but the way it carries you from the beginning to the end it is great. This may not be news for you, but in case you have not heard it, you have missed a pretty good guitar solo

On my point of view, it is not the notes the guitar player plays, is the way the guitar player plays

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 11:13:04 PM PDT
B-Jak says:
Craig Chaquico started in the Starship as a teen-ager. He could rip it like no one's business. In fact he was doing Eddie Van Halen stuff 5 years before Eddie Van Halen Tell me why, why, why he ditched joining the ranks of the greats of electric guitar to play the new age crap he's done for the last 25 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 12:01:15 PM PDT
I don't know why he went for that style, I have some of that stuff, kind like it. As Blackmore, he went for a complete different style.

It is a shame, because they are pretty good players and we cannot listen new stuff from them. I believe that they are EXCELLENT.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 12:08:58 PM PDT
i really enjoy blackmore's night. i mean, good music is good music right? ritchie has a real affinity for the folk medieval stuff he's doing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 5:34:26 PM PDT
Yes I know, but I still rather his rock style. He is the master of riffs.

What a shame, no Rainbow, no Deep Purple (For me, Purple is not the same without him).

In 1994 went to a concert to see Purple, and really, my main purpose was to see Blackmore ... oh Surprise ... Steve Morse on stage ... not bad, but 100 times would it be better with Blackmore. At least I had the chance to see Ian Paice, another great drummer (one of my favorites)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:43:34 PM PDT
paice is way up there...

i would pick his first 3 rainbow albums over anything he's ever done (plus the 5 live albums before dio left...)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 7:06:31 PM PDT
For me, best 3 Rainbow the first 2 and Difficult to Cure, (Raising's line up is the best ... of course ... Cozy was there)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2012 7:09:14 PM PDT
y u no put long live rock and roll up there???

ritchie is one of the best, but i don't care a whole lot for most purple, and post-dio rainbow. i listen to blackmore's night kinda religiously...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  115
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Mar 23, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions