Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Most Under Rated Rolling Stones Song

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 551-575 of 591 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 21, 2012 8:36:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012 8:45:43 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
1. The early Stones were far more interested in blues and R&B than they were in rock and roll; the exception to this was Chuck, who they venerated.
2. As the British Invasion went on, Jagger and Richards began developing considerable songwriting strength, and began departing from the mother's milk of blues/R&B. "As Tears Go By" and "Lady Jane", for example, have no connection to blues/R&B musically.
3. The early Mick was not exactly the world's greatest singer, as early vocals readily demonstrate. But he directly improved over time, and began honing the innate charisma which was key to his ascent to rock's greatest frontman. I think the development is pretty much complete by, say, "Aftermath" in 1966. Of course, along with this also came the mannerisms which have led to ridicule over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 9:10:33 AM PDT
stevign says:
(You're not "obligated" to reply to the person you are replying to in their reply box but out of consideration and clarity, why not?).

As for my amazement, I'm just surprised Jeff Buckley comes to mind before his father. It would be like mentioning Ziggy Marley before (if at all) his dad Bob, it's just odd. You can take that as an insult if you really feel the need to but why bother? As for why I didn't mention Willie Nelson, Grace Slick, Richard Manuel, George Michael, or Meat Loaf; they're not related to Jeff Buckley and not even in the same league as Cooke or Nilsson.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 9:18:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2012 9:19:15 AM PDT
stevign says:
Steelers fan:

re: "The early Mick was not exactly the world's greatest singer"

I like a lot of The Stones and find nothing really wrong about Jagger's voice but let's be real here, he "still" isn't a great singer.

re: "began honing the innate charisma which was key to his ascent to rock's greatest frontman"

I agree. He may look like a clownish rooster strutting around on stage but he knows how to sell a song. Also, I've always wondered why he wears knee pads? It makes one wonder what he was doing with the other boys in the dressing room before he came on?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 10:07:35 AM PDT
I too would be very leery of anything from anyone who labeled John Lennon an "idiot" about things musical. But thanks D for keeping a Stones thread going. I know how much you love them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 10:57:51 AM PDT
stevign says:
My Ex used to love "Sitting on a Face".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 11:01:24 AM PDT
She still does.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 11:15:00 AM PDT
stevign says:
A safe assumption.............

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 9:41:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2012 9:45:00 AM PDT
Live Licks

Instant album time. The above is FREE for all of you below:

part 1

https://www.yousendit.com/download/QlVqc0wwQXBnYU04RmNUQw

part 2

https://www.yousendit.com/download/QlVqc0x3YTJ0TWx3SGNUQw

part 3

https://www.yousendit.com/download/QlVqc0x3YTJrUm14djlVag

These links will be good for a few days.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 10:06:10 AM PDT
Lisa J. Fiel says:
before they make me run

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 10:35:09 AM PDT
I like the way Keith sings it like he's drunk at the bar.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 11:35:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 11:37:21 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
"Think" may be an even better female putdown than "Stupid Girl" or "Out Of Time" or "Under My Thumb" (from the same album), as it's more personal.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 11:41:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 3:57:19 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Think about a year ago
How we lived I'll never know
Connin' people for a dime
Here's another piece of my mind

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 11:42:32 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Any "Neighbors" fans? I think it's good, raucous fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 12:30:58 PM PDT
stevign says:
He wasn't?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 12:33:24 PM PDT
stevign says:
I liked it alot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_xymI6AH6E

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 4:02:40 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Nah, I meant the Stones' "Neighbours"; maybe it was the spelling.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 5:54:13 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "maybe it was the spelling"

No, it was just me being sarcastic....again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 6:36:26 PM PDT
If You Can't Rock Me.

Somebody will...

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 10:01:15 PM PDT
"The Singer Not the Song".
Said to be the worst Jagger/Richards song to be given official release.
Yet I like it a lot, don't see anything wrong with it.
Anyone else think it's not too bad?

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 10:38:39 PM PDT
John D. Muir says:
'Memo From Turner' is a great song (even though it is spoken), but because it's a long way outside the normal Stones style it's seldom mentioned- even in this thread!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 2:09:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 2:11:32 AM PDT
RE: 'Memo From Turner' is a great song (even though it is spoken), but because it's a long way outside the normal Stones style it's seldom mentioned- even in this thread!

Great song, I would agree 100% in a sense: It's underrated, but only because so few know it. In my experience, Stones fans who do know the song tend to have a high opinion of it.

But there's still one problem: On the more popular (Performance) version, Mick was the only Stone to play. Even though it's been released on Stones' compilations, it's hard to make a case that it's actually a Stones song.

And the Metamorphosis version, while it's been debated for years exactly who played on it (besides Mick), was only released (against the band's vehement wishes) as a result of Allen Klein trying to exact a little revenge on the Stones for their giving him CS Blues to fulfill their final song commitment to Decca.

So if you mean the "Metamorphosis" version, you still may have a point; some like the song a lot. I kind of like it, though IMO it doesn't compare to the "Performance" version that features Ry Cooder.

"Your organ's working perfectly, but there's a part that's not screwed on"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 7:42:16 AM PDT
stevign says:
I place 'Memo From Turner' (Performance version) somewhere in the top 3.....maybe 5, Rock & Roll songs of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 10:19:55 AM PDT
"Neighbors" Good, raucous fun. I believe at that time Mick was living next door to Dylan in Malibu.
I saw Dylan's house [nothing but a garage and fence seen from the street] but I did not know which side was Micks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2012 10:22:26 AM PDT
'Memo From Turner' was not a Stones song because Mick was screwing Anita in the movie and Keith didn't dig it.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 10:56:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 3, 2012 11:47:54 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
What does Richards' and Pallenberg's son Marlon do for a living? He's in his forties, I would assume. Is he in music?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  150
Total posts:  591
Initial post:  Aug 31, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions