Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Bruce Springsteen is the most overrated performer of all time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 751-762 of 762 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 4:47:57 PM PDT
The Dude says:
Well said, Alex!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 5:59:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 6:25:15 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Hey Dude,

You wouldn't have copied it by any chance?.....lol. There used to be a couple tricks when they deleted a post to get it back (one was just clicking the back button and it would be there) but I think they figured that out. I guess it must have been saying he's such an unlikable pric* or this guy *really* needs to get laid. All true, so what's the problem?...lol. But then I sort of went back and forth between stating facts about the POS, staying calm and calling out the moron for what he is. Thanks, I enjoyed it too...guess Amazon didn't. Bruuuuuuuuce !

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 8:44:23 PM PDT
BRNIZED says:
I totally agree with you. I feel the same way about Rod Stewart also!

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 8:52:26 PM PDT
BRNIZED says:
Excellent question! I have often wondered that myself. He certainly doesn't deserve that title. I think his PR people came up with that title; trying to put him on the same level as Frank Sinatra ( whom I think was over-rated as well!).

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 9:30:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 9:28:13 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Alex -- you don't like Springsteen and that's cool, but you are venturing into the realm of the absurd here in trying to hypothesize as to why other people do. He "has to" to play 3 hrs or his fans will turn on him? Yeah, not really. I've seen him 3 times, twice with the E-Street Band (2003 & 2009) and once solo acoustic (2006) and none of those shows approached 3 hrs plus like his most legendary shows. The E-Street band shows were more like 2hr 15min or so and the solo acoustic show was maybe 2hrs or even a little less. No one boo'd, no one left and I heard no uproars of fans saying they were being cheated. As luck would have it, the recent tours I've *missed* (his E-Street reunion tour of 1999-2000 and his "Magic" tour of '07) were the ones where he delivered mostly epic 3hr + shows like the good old days; the tours I saw featured shorter sets. Did I want more? Sure. Who doesn't want a few more songs from a band/artist they enjoy hearing? Did I and others there feel cheated or turn on Springsteen? No, not even close, because even a "short" Springsteen show is more show for the money than the vast majority of other acts deliver, and I would hope at the very least you can respect that. The guy cares about delivering for his fans and that's in pretty shorty supply with a lot of other bands/artists.

My favorite quote about why he plays such long shows and why it's critical that he and his band be in tip-top shape EVERY night is something along the lines of "It's because every night we play, somebody is there seeing their first show of ours. They're not going to Philly the night after and they weren't in Boston the night before. THIS is their night. And they may never be able to get out and see us again, so... this is their ONE night. If we don't play well, they don't care if we were just worn out because we're in the middle of a 100-date tour and they don't care how good everyone else says we were when THEY saw us. The one night they got to go was THEIR night so... we'd better be good." Sorry, but that's awesome (to me). Forget mailing it in for the thousands and thousand of the already-converted that do go see him night after night (the returning customers), he's playing like a brand new band that has to win over new fans every night. I guess if he can play like he has to win over new fans every night, keeping the old ones happy just kinda happens and he seems to have done that pretty well over the course of his career.

As far as his image, I think you're confusing the most basic elements of who he is and how that's written about in the media (and they DO write about him a lot....) with something that he crafts as a tool to sell his music. A lot of people do associate Springsteen with the best of America because he came from nothing and made it to the top with good old fashioned hard work and resolve, and it's hard not to respect that. And yes, some of his earlier songs touched on the same kinda themes. But that's where his playing to any flag-waving, pro-America image ends. More recently, he has entire albums (including his latest) that are heavily laced with themes that are critical of certain things in America. His song "American Skin (41 Shots)" about the police shooting of an immigrant had the NYPD boycotting his shows, flipping him off in Madison Square Garden and calling him a "flaming f#ggot". In 2004 he wasted no time in lining up AGAINST the same kind of conservative, flag-waving people that so misunderstood his "Born in the USA" song some 20 years before and tried to co-opt his popularity for their conservative revolution when he played the "Vote for Change" tour in support of John Kerry. And he was equally outspoken in his support for Obama in 2008. This ruffled some feathers and cost him some fans and made plenty of people feel he was anything BUT "a good American" but he didn't let that stop him from expressing who he was and how he felt. In this day of such a divided America, that means a pretty good chance of pissing off half of your audience. If he was more concerned about his ultimate American image, I think he would have kept his mouth shut and stayed on the fence, but Bruce is a good deal bolder than that and not afraid to speak how he truly feels, whcih is pretty much the exact opposite of the image-building behavior you seem to see him putting forth.

You said you don't think his songs are "phony" but you sure seem to think his image is. But, if you look a little deeper -- and I totally get that you have no need or desire to because you're not a fan and don't like his music, and I have no problem with that -- but I dare say that if you did, you'd see that his "image" IS his songs, and both are way more "what you see is what you get" than some crafted image he cultivates to help him sell records and concert tickets.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 9:34:08 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Rose -- fyi, "The Boss" is a nickname his E-Street Band gave him because in the early days, he was on top of everything: he booked the shows, he arranged their travel, he got paid, he paid the band, etc. etc. Make no mistake, the E-Street Band was critical to his success, but there was no question as to who was in charge. So they called him "The Boss" and at some point later on, the media got wind of it and started repeating it. Springsteen himself has said he never really cared for the nickname.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 7:37:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 10, 2012 8:23:14 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 7:40:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 7:41:28 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
This is weird. Amazon deleted my post of May 9, 2012 9:30:53 PM PDT, but as it was in reply to a post by Alex, I went to his post and hit the "You replied with a LATER POST" link and could still see what I posted. So I copied/pasted it and omitted what i thought the offending word might have been and re-posted it, but at that point, my initial post had been restored.

Not only are the Amazon censors very tiny-brained dolts incapable of rational thought, they also appear to be very wishy-washy. Sounds like all the makings of some great politicians they have here...

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 8:13:30 AM PDT
The Dude says:
Sorry, Alex. I wish I had copied it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 8:15:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 10:15:37 AM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
That would have been nice Z but naturally it didn't work for my deleted post ;) Yeah, we know the censors and/or the idiots who program the software are virgin PTA members but their latest tweak is to just delete a post without any information, names, etc. Wow. Great work boys. Plus the nerds sat there recently and said hey wait a minute. If you hit the back button the post is still there ! So they stopped that too. Took 'em over 3 years to figure that out.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:14:03 PM PDT
BRNIZED says:
Thanks for the info! As I had said, I was only speculating as to the origin of his nickname. I am truly glad to know I was mistaken. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 5:01:00 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
No problem, Rose!
‹ Previous 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  147
Total posts:  762
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2007
Latest post:  May 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions