Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Super Humanoids All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Kids Halloween
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Of the 4, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix, who is the best and why and rank them 1 to 4.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 283 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2009 3:11:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2009 4:13:27 PM PDT
Snoo says:
Club 7,
You got that right!
I am seeing him in 2 weeks.

Posted on Mar 26, 2009 3:35:17 PM PDT
Woodshed says:
After some reflection on these choices. I have to submit my favorite guitarists rankings as follows. I have gone an extra nine yards cause it seems fair.

1. Django Reinhardt
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Joseph Spence
4. Steve Cropper
5. Leadbelly
6. Keith Richards
7. Paul Burlison
8. Johnny Moore
9. Chuck Berry
10. Lightnin' Hopkins

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2009 8:52:59 PM PDT
club 7 says:
i hope he cranks out "led boots"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2009 9:19:18 PM PDT
#1..Jimi Hendrix..he was a true pioneer with the electric guitar and effects pedals..a visceral player who totally became one with his instument and used the guitar as an extention of his passion and emotions. There are professional musicians today who still have no idea how Hendrix was able to make some of the sounds he came up with..if you want proof of what I say..listen to Machine Gun on the Band of Gypsies album.
#2 Jeff Beck..another visionary. He only gets better with age..and more complex in his playing. Listen to his last two studio albums..and wonder!!
#3 Jimmy Page..I only have two words..Led Zepplin..nuff said.
#4 Eric Clapton..A white man who wants to play black mans blues..and does it very well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2009 10:28:29 PM PDT
Smoking list Woodshed...where does Buddy Guy rank? Top 20, 30?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 6:42:36 AM PDT
Club 7,
What did you think of Rod Stewart's vocal work in the Jeff Beck group. Just curious. Also two of my fav Beck songs are "Going Down" and "I Aint Superstitious".

Posted on Mar 27, 2009 7:04:17 AM PDT
Smokin-Buck says:
I would place Hendrix & Beck at the top. Hendrix for smooth left-handed playing of an upside down right-handed guitar (he could play right handed also). Beck for his guitar playing styles, which many have copied down the years, and his technical ability. Page & Clapton were good, but not as good (IMO) as the others. Page I listen to much more (Zepplin) than Clapton.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 7:13:45 AM PDT
Have you heard Buddy Guy's "Skin Deep" CD. If you haven't it's a must listen/own. Anyway there's a song on there called "Who's Gonna Fill Those Shoes?" filled with great lyrics.

A sample: Robert Johnson heard it, made it his own, he got it started, we got to carry on, tell me who who's fill these shoes."

Could this be Derek Trucks? Someone has to carry this on.

The whole CD is great. Another great song is his duet/guitar duel with Eric Clapton on "Everytime I Sing The Blues". It's in heavy rotation on my I-Pod.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 7:16:29 AM PDT
Very simplistic. But it got us to hear what you think. Which is the point isn't it? To inspire and be inspired by.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 7:39:44 AM PDT

LOL always enjoy your humor. I saw a triple bill years ago. It was at the Warehouse (and actually was a Warehouse dirt floors and alll) in New Orleans. On the triple bill was an opening band that had just released their first album, Van Halen, followed by Montrose and the head liner that night was Journey.

This was the Ronnie Montrose instumental era. Every song was instrumental, great guitar playing and he had a drummer by the name of Steve Smith. I'm not a big drum solo kind of guy but Smith destroyed the drums on his drum solo. I have never seen a better drum solo, and I have saw Bonham live. Anyway after the tour Journey fired their drummer and Steve played with Journey for many many years.

I've always enjoyed Ronnie's playing from Edgar Winter, to Montrose (with Sammy Hagar and without, to instrumental Ronnie, and Gamma Ronnie. What is he up to by the way?

At last thing: note to Sammy who redid "Rock Candy" and says at the end of the song, that's way better than the original. Negative!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 9:13:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 18, 2009 1:07:49 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 10:14:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2009 10:22:26 AM PDT
club 7 says:
mr. thunders (love jet boy and pills-dolls)
rod was the mod when he was in the jeff beck group producing gritty and truly soulful vocals with major edge and i love their reworking of the yardbird's "shapes of things" and their cover of dixon's "i ain't superstitious" is simply incendiary.
he sang it like he meant it then and i must give props to his solo stuff like "gasoline alley" and "never a dull moment."
his faces stuff too was great and a nod is as good as a wink is one of the best rock albums ever.
it's so sad that rod sold out and became a parody of his once great self.
must also give a mention to becks get together with rod on their remake of the curtis mayfield classic "people get ready".
i think they did that song righteously and becks solo's are immensley inspired.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 10:50:49 AM PDT
Club 7

Loved it. I'm not a huge music video fan but I did really enjoy seeing Jeff riding that train. He looked really cool. Cool song.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2009 12:26:50 PM PDT
Woodshed says:
JT, I dig Buddy in the extreme. I'm from Chicago,dig.

Posted on Mar 27, 2009 8:40:40 PM PDT
Fripp!!!! Listen guys, I'm in the UK...sorry, Bob Fripp can take all those guys and make them look like amateurs! King Crimson is where it's at.

Posted on Mar 27, 2009 9:09:16 PM PDT
To all the guitar junkies out there (which I am a member by the way) check out Prince playing his new song "Dreamer" on Jay Leno. I've given the youtube link below. He tore it up and one lucky fan gets a guitar. When Prince wants to play guitar he's right up there with todays best guitarists. Watch and tell me want you think.

Posted on Mar 27, 2009 9:23:04 PM PDT
tokolosi says:
Tony Iommi
Michael Schenker
Frank Zappa
Robin Trower

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 12:45:20 AM PDT
S. Poteet says:
I agree with you, dtm. Yes, I love Hendrix, but he was still evolving. He had passion, skill, and presence...but he wasn't accomplished. Not yet. Had he lived, who knows what he would have become? He is a perrenial favorite of people but I think it's more about his dying so young, and maybe his utter originality. But that alone does not make him the best there ever was.

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 1:39:42 AM PDT
Eric Clapton - The man can play any style, and is the master of the guitar.
Jeff Beck - He gets into his own style.
Jimmy Page - Great riffs and metal inversions.
Jimmy Hendrix - Jimmy was a great guitar player, but we will never know his potential.

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 4:19:44 AM PDT
J. Delaney says:
Jimi was a pioneer, Page was the master of the studio, Becky was an innovater, and Clapton was very well rounded. It would be senseless to rank them in any order.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 5:09:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2009 5:17:28 AM PDT
Snoo says:
Schizoid Mark,
Yes Fripp is a master with the guitar and I did get to see KC quite a few years back and was very entertained, however I find too much of his material is him seeing how far out of bounds he can go and unfortunately, I feel it is alot of senseless, soulless noise. imo.
So, how would you rank the 4 mentioned?

S Poteet,
I agree

Johnny T.,
Steve Smith is a monster on the kit. He has shifted his focus to Jazz/Fusion and is tearing it up. I saw him a few months back with his Jazz Legacy tour and was blown away. Can't say I have seen better! (Yes Peart fans I saw Rush 6 months ago...not even close!)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2009 7:06:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2009 7:07:03 PM PDT
Snoo - love all of them, saw Clapton,Beck and Page live quite a few times....too young to have seen Hendrix, but as Fripp says in his diary May 14th 1969 Revolution Club, London...'Hendrix, dressed in white with his right arm in a sling approached me after the gig and said "Shake my my left arm man, it's closer to my heart" I feel that says it all! Of all the guitarists alive today in the many are making truly inventive and groundbreaking music and how many are still stuck in the mid '70's churning out bland lame AOR music? Not Fripp! I arrest my case.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2009 11:49:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2009 7:42:34 AM PDT
Snoo says:
The Walrus,
Yes Jimi left a legacy. He revolutionized the way the guitar is played........back then!!! Many guitarists have taken what Jimi did and in my opinion made it better. Jeff Beck has mastered the craft that Jimi, unfortunately did not have the oportunity to do. What a shame because who knows what he would have come up with next? We will never know.
Beck took the ball and ran with it in all directions with precision. To say he came up empty handed is ridiculous!
Yes Jimi started this, but many guitarists have taken it to levels that even he possibly didn't dream of.

Posted on Apr 3, 2009 8:56:01 AM PDT
Whizzkid58® says:
The four best guitarist in my opionion are not the four you listed but are:

1. Tommy Bolin (no one touches this guy)
2. Rory Gallagher (far too overlooked and far too underrated)
3. Stevie Ray Vaughan (simply awesome)
4. Clapton (live on a good nite almost untouchable)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2010 8:44:30 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 14, 2010 8:47:46 AM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  115
Total posts:  283
Initial post:  Mar 23, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions