Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Most Under Rated Rolling Stones Song

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 591 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 31, 2007 12:21:55 PM PDT
What would be your pick for the most under rated Rolling Stones song and why???
I know the Stones span over 40 years of music so that might be hard to do, so let's narrow it down into one for the 60s, one for the 70s, one for the 80s, and we can throw the 90s in there but I think by the time the 90s rolled around, nothing they wrote really stood out. If I am wrong, let me know! I am probably one of the biggest RS fans out there so I am curious as to what other fans think.
By the way, if you hate the Stones and are going to write crap back to me about them, don't bother. Just true fans, please!
Anyway, my picks are:
60s: Little Red Rooster, My Obsession (first song I ever heard written about oral sex!), and Walking Thru The Sleepy City
70s: Winter, 100 Years Ago
80s: Hang Fire, Tops, Almost Hear You Sigh

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2007 4:35:54 PM PDT
The Walrus says:
I, personally,don't believe that any of the Stones music is "under rated"...however, some of their tunes are somewhat overlooked...for instance..."Melody" from their "Black and Blue" album...my favorite Stones album track...love the groove..."Down The Road A Piece" from "The Rolling Stones: NOW" {my favorite Stones album}...even though it is a cover, it's hard to beat for roots rockin' blues..."You Got the Silver" from "Let It Bleed", proved that Jagger could be replaced {imho...best lead vocals on the album}..."Suck On the Juglar" from "Voodoo Lounge"...once again...when the Stones are in the groove...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2007 5:37:11 PM PDT
njrobbo says:
You guys make some really good points... but I do have something; All Down the Line off Exile is a good song, bad news is/was that it's sung by Keith Richards. The Stones never really pushed too many of the songs he sang. The one that readily comes to mind (to me) is Little T&A off Tattoo You (Happy is a very close 2nd). I think if Jagger had sung All Down the Line it might have become more popular.

WALRUS--lot of good songs on Black & Blue. I don't know how Hand of Fate doesn't get serious air play. Just my thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2007 6:22:57 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 5:11:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2007 5:12:21 AM PDT
The Walrus says:
Add to my list..."Time Waits For No One" and "Fingerprint File"...both from "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll"...which of itself...is a very over looked Stones album...lots of great music...my favorite Stones music...their most creative period...imho...was the Mick Taylor years...a great, great guitarist...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2007 7:23:12 AM PDT
Gee I dunno.... I thought Bigger Bang contained some of their best new stuff in years. There's certainly a few filler tracks that could have been dropped off but there's also some absolute classics. "Oh no not you again" made me laugh out loud. "Rough Justice" / It won't take long"/ "Rain Fall Down" / "She saw me Coming" / "Let me down Slow"/..... all pretty underrated I think.
Still.... I like "Miss You" and "Start me up" and such ... so I suppose we're all different.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 6:45:57 AM PDT
njrobbo, you make good points, too, but I have to correct you on something. Keith did not sing lead on All Down the Line. That was definately Mick; you can hear that unmistakable "Mick tone" especially in the song when he sings "keep the motor running". (and of course, that was Kathy McDonald on backing vocals -- great backup singer that was really never that popular again -- another Merry Clayton bites the dust!) Keith has more of a whiney-pitch to his voice (Happy, You Got The Silver). There is definately a big difference in their voices. But anyway, I agree about Hand of Fate and I TOTALLY forgot about Melody!!! Great song with a great beat. "Rolling Stones Now" is also my favorite Stones album (I'm a Brian Jones fanatic) and I love how they did all those great Chuck Berry tunes back then! At 14 I didn't really know much about Chuck Berry and then I heard the Stones do his stuff so naturally, I picked up on Chuck and was blown away! And The Walrus, I totally agree with you regarding "under rated" vs. "overlooked". You are right, "overlooked" is a much better way to say it!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 1:03:06 AM PDT
"No Expectations" from Beggar's Banquet: it's beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 10:52:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 26, 2009 6:41:17 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 11:42:48 AM PDT
Hoagie Mike says:
Tops
Til The Next Goodbye

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 2:35:40 PM PDT
Mr.Hardy says:
I don't know if any Stones is really underrated,,but I'll say "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 3:18:38 PM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
Got to agree with some of you. I don't think you can apply underrated to the Stones. Overlooked & underplayed are better terms. If we're talking about radio airplay, how much Stones can
you expect to hear? You'd have to hunt down that "All Stones all
the time" station. I'd like to hear "Mona", "Factory Girl", "Empty
Heart", "Flight 505" and a whole lot more. Every once in a while
I just have to hold my own "Rolling Stones Festival". Admission is
free and there are no crowds.

By the way, a couple of good Stones covers are:

Stupid Girl - Sue Foley (Canadian blues chick)
Factory Girl - Treat Her Right (Boston blues/rock band)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 12:34:39 PM PDT
M.J.: Do you live in Boston?? If so I would LOVE to attend one of your Rolling Stones Festivals! I agree about "Empty Heart" with Keith at the end of the song singing "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!" I also love Brian singing the chorus on "Its All Over Now" with "because I used to love her but its all over now." You don't hear Brian's vocals that much but when you do they really stand out! Have you heard "Andrew's Blues"?!?! Brian is all over that one!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 6:29:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2007 6:29:31 PM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
No Bru, I'm afraid not, I'm a Chicago boy, but when you come to town let me know. I loved everything the Stones did up to & including Sticky Fingers, then I kind of lost interest. I don't
think I'm familiar with "Andrew's Blues".

Speaking of Brian Jones, I recently watched a movie about him, the
name escapes me. Talk about putting someone in a bad light, it
made him out to be a despicable person. Generally I stay away from
rock bio-pics, I should have stayed away from that one. Take care.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 6:58:04 PM PDT
N. Dillen says:
I am a true fan and at 60, grew up with them in the sixties....by
FAR, (and there are soooooooo many) the best song is "Out of Time"
which, believe it or not, many people have not heard of when I
mention the title! N. Dillen

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 11:59:00 AM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
Dillen, "Out Of Time" the best? I don't know about that, but it's a pretty good song from a pretty good record. The Stones were
alright back then!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 12:21:50 PM PDT
Mak says:
Love the ballad "Wild Horses" from "Sticky Fingers"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 1:55:03 PM PDT
Has to be the song SWAY, Mick Taylor should have been voted top guitar player of the year for that solo alone, but then of course there was Ritchie Blackmore in town.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 6:58:24 PM PDT
anubus says:
Jagger did sing All Down The Line.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 6:59:59 PM PDT
anubus says:
Where the boys go, Silver train, Miss Amanda Jones, Gunface

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 7:09:36 PM PDT
R. Polhamus says:
I have to agree. Especially with the headphones on, this tune is a great jam tune. It has kept me on the treadmill longer than my knees could stand it several times. It should have been covered by any of the jammy bands with at least a 10 minute version. Allman Bros., Dave Matthews, Leftover Salmon, even Derek Trucks Band (with a full jazz riff).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2007 7:09:38 PM PDT
Jigsaw Puzzle, Salt of the Earth, Something Happened to Me Yesterday. Of course, Jagger sang All Down the Line, jeez!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 11:54:06 AM PDT
take403 says:
Citadel, Factory Girl, Sittin' on a Fence, Sleep Tonight, Till the Next Goodbye, Stray Cat Blues, Before They Make Me Run (my favorite Keith vocal) I could add more and probably will later.

One thing I remember about Gunface is that it was the 1st song from Bridges to Babylon CD I got to hear. One radio station debuted it, followed by the single Anybody Seen My Baby. This station got heat for it and got a letter threatening their job if they pulled that stunt again without permission (anyone from Dallas remember 93.3 The Zone?). Btw, I'm no longer living in the Big D.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2007 2:13:38 AM PDT
For songs they wrote, Backstreet Girl.
For songs they covered, That's How Strong My Love Is.

Nothing from "68-'72 is underrated since those four albums are generally recognized as being among the elite rock albums ever made.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2007 2:24:36 AM PDT
Have you ever heard the version of You've Got the Silver sung by Mick? It was obviously never released, but in the old Napster days you could find it (along with a lot of other unreleased rarities). I don't know where it might be available at this point.

Anyway, as much as you, me, and a lot of others seem to like to give Keith some credit for a nice lead vocal on that song -- and it is nice -- Mick still sounds better. Keith is the more likable of the two, and I think that most people who are well-read on the Stones would agree -- so I think that as a result of that and the fact that he didn't get that many chances to sing, it makes him a bit of a sentimental favorite for a lot of people.

Also available in the old Napster days was a version of Gimme Shelter with Keith on vocals. It's nice as a curiosity, but his voice is very, very flat and does not do the song any justice.

These are the only two examples I can think of right now (but I'm jet-lagged and a bit brain-dead currently, so I may be missing soomething obvious) where Mick and Keith can be directly compared in this manner. Maybe you or someone else here knows of more.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  150
Total posts:  591
Initial post:  Aug 31, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions