Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Queensryche/Geoff Tate split. Who's side are you on?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2013 7:07:53 PM PST
Shannon M. says:
I've been seeing a lot of rumors and gossip flying around the internet. I see Geoff getting a lot, and I mean a LOT of hate.
But I will always be on Geoff's side. He's the one we grew up listening to, not that poser La Torre. Geoff's voice is the one I hear when I think of Queensryche. He's the one who gave us those awesome songs, those fantastic memories.
For those who are ready to throw Geoff to the wolves because he can't hit those monster highs anymore, all I have to say is: give the man a break! He's 54 years old! You spend thirty YEARS screaming at the top of your lungs night after night after night and see how it affects your voice. Everyone loses vocal range as they age: Steve Tyler, Robert Plant, all those aging stars out there.
It might be more noticeable in Geoff just because his voice was so awesome. Well, I'm not going to throw him away because of it.
Okay, I'm done ranting. Anyone else?

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 7:28:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 8:42:39 AM PST
D. Mok says:
Queensryche's all the way. Geoff Tate's behaviour has been abominable. You don't see Ozzy Osbourne trying to take the Black Sabbath name when he was fired, or Rob Halford preventing Judas Priest from recruiting a new singer after he left the band. Tate's attitude that he's more important than his three bandmates is enough to make me never give another cent into the Tate coffers again. That, and the fact that he hasn't written a single good song since his musical lifeline Chris DeGarmo left the music business.

Oh yeah, and on the Facebook Queensryche page that Tate had hijacked from his former band, Tate and his cronies have blocked every fan who didn't pile on loads of hyperbolic praise on Tate himself. That is what we call a "bitch move".

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 8:02:47 AM PST
queensryche all the way

geoff tate is a poser, not the other way around

the real queensryche will be coming out with a new album later this year, and it will show just how much they were being held back by tate and his minions that where working behind the scenes of things...

also, love what you said there D. Mok!!

oh, and Shannon...you might be on tates side, and think that latorre is a "poser", but at least latorre can hit all of those high notes that geoff hasn't been able to hit in many years....latorre is a much better singer!

the real queensryche will be back on top once their new album comes out.....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 5:42:37 PM PST
Shannon M. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 6:02:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 6:04:56 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> If La Torre is so original and so much better, why is he trying so desperately to sound like Geoff?

Because, unlike Geoff Tate, he's a professional and wants to give fans what they expect from Queensryche's classics. Tate refused to perform Queensryche's popular hits, resulting in ever-diminishing returns from their concerts.

> How about lying to your singer about alleged "side projects", when in fact the band were going behind Geoff's back to audition
> new singers without telling him.

Not nearly as bad as Tate forcing the band to hire his wife as manager, thus trying to monopolize the business side. Not nearly as bad as forcing the retch-inducing "Got It Bad" and "Big Noize" on fans. Not nearly as nefarious as Geoff Tate colluding with his wife and crony producer to replace the parts played by band members on the band's records.

You've obviously never been in a band. Hell, they should have gone behind Tate's back to audition singers long ago. Besides, any band member can have side projects. Geoff Tate doesn't own Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson and Scott Rockenfield. If Tate had made them so unhappy they wanted another creative outlet, Tate has no hold over them.

> Oh, and they had their lawyer fire him. They were too gutless to do it.

Geoff Tate didn't deserve a face-to-face meeting. He had his wife and family helping him to usurp the band. Bitch move. Tate's personality is so odious that Glen Drover and Bobby Blotzer quit the Tate band successively after only a matter of weeks. Even Axl Rose didn't alienate collaborators that fast. Wilton, Jackson and Rockenfield had La Torre in, instead of a revolving door of hired hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 7:13:26 PM PST
Actually, Todd is not trying to copy Tate's style. If he was he would have chubby strippers and transvestites on stage with him and would be straining to hit every note.

At first he may have been trying to singing like the album (as expected), but lately Todd is singing the songs, particularly the high notes, using his own style and approach. I find that to be refreshing, as Todd has a great style of his own.

But, in a way it is Todd's duty to try to sing the old stuff the way the fans are use to hearing it. How would you want him to sing it, completely different? Then people would be complaining that he is not paying respect to the material, or they would say he can't sing it like Tate use to. Todd has shown he is more than capable of handling the material much better than Geoff has been able to for at least 15 years. But some people will complain about the shovel they are buried with. No matter what he does people will complain. ;)

When Queensryche releases their new material that Todd helped write, you will hear 100% Todd LaTorre.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 8:53:58 PM PST
I saw the NEW Queensryche in December in Tempe, AZ and like everybody else in the crowd that night, left happy after hearing songs from the EP, The Warning, Rage For Order, Operation Mindcrime and Empire sung better than we have heard in YEARS!. Some of the songs havnt been played or played in their entirety in years. One of my friends is a HUGE Queensryche fan and he saw their show in LA in November and said he was so happy Tate was out so he wouldnt have to hear anymore bad albums like Dedicated To Chaos.
As for Geoff Tate being a bitch, he recently ridiculed Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy to Eddie Trunk and Chris Jericho when he was on Trunks radio show. Not knowing Trunk and Jericho were friends of Portnoys. They told Portnoy and gutless Tate tried to deny saying anything about him.
I am going to see Tatesrcyhe in San Diego in April with my Queensryche loving friend and we both said if it sucks were done with Tate. He has singlehandedly ruined a band that could have replaced Iron Maiden at the top spot in metal following the departure of Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith in 1993, by releasing crap album after crap album and he was the main writer.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 9:32:25 PM PST
Metal Mayhem says:
lmao you should all calm the hell down.. it doesnt matter what side your on... its not for you to tell either side what they are going to do. this is a messy divorce and will be settled in court this coming November I believe. I wish both sides the best in moving forward with there careers.Not one person here has a very good clue as to why things have worked out the way the have except for the band and close friends & family the drama that I am sure will be posted here should be left where it belongs ... on the floor .. lame thread... "what side are you on" grow the F&^% UP!!

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 9:32:40 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 5, 2013 9:36:35 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 9:36:15 PM PST
Shelly Error says:
I saw Queensryche in Tempe Az in Dec and the show was excellent .I have been a fan for over 25 years and have not missed a show.This show was by far better then I have seen in a very long time.The place was packed and everyone was rocking there a$$es off .Todd's voice was amazing and there was so much energy on stage Scott Michael ,Eddie & Parker killed it they were a band again .Can't wait for them to release there album this spring .All I can say is Geoff who just like the audience did that night !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 8:08:14 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 6, 2013 8:20:27 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 1:03:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 9:48:44 AM PST
Shannon....that's just how LaTorres voice sounds....have you not heard his other band, he has always sounded like that....it's not his fault his singing voice sounds just like geoff taints'...
also, who would of wanted geoff in the band with his marketing deal he tried to do for a movie or screenplay for the Operation Mindcrime album....which he kept the other members of the band out of(including degarmo who wrote the majority of that album and the ones before it), and he claims he wrote all the music...degarmo wrote more than tate did, tate just got credit for too much

it's also tate that spit all over the band members and assaulted them during concerts and before concerts....

with the fact that at least 2 or 3 members of tate's new version of the band have already left, that tells you something right there

it astounds me that anyone at this point, could even be on tate's side, even if you're related to him!!
oh, and how many times does geoff need to milk the whole Operation Mindcrime album anyways??? how many times are they going to celebrate an anniversary of that album, my god!!....i wouldn't be surprised if his next album is going to be Operation Mindcrime Part 3 !
looks like d. mok and carlton have said enough in response to you as well...i hope you've opened up your eyes and mind a bit more on the subject now...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 1:30:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2013 1:43:56 PM PST
bass boy says:
Not to name-drop here, but Geoff told me that he really felt like he shouldered the brunt of writing and promoting the music (doing interviews for radio, print and TV) and coming up with many of the song concepts and ideas, because of the other guys' alleged lack of enthusiasm for new ideas/music. He told me this about a month before the big split, at Rocklahoma last year. He said the other band members really didn't want to be bothered with coming up with new ideas and help him with the promotion/media interviews and such. I asked him how hard it was to keep a band together over such a long period of time, and he said it was very, very difficult. He said he respected the other's opinions and attitudes (this was when he was still in the band) while trying to make Queensryche's music and stage shows the absolute best they could be.
Now those were his words. I guess i'm kind of in the middle of the Tate vs. Queensryche argument. (Is it true that Tate spit on members before a show? When did that happen, and which members were they? If true, that is awful.)

Queensryche were really good at Rocklahoma last year. I thought Geoff's voice sounded fine at that gig. There was little to no eye contact between Geoff and the band that night, but soundwise, they were tight and energetic. Anyway, not to sound like a hater of the other members of Queensryche. Just sayin' what Geoff told me and how they sounded that night. You know, there are very few things on this earth that are nastier than a band's breakup (most divorces included.)

P.S. Not to start a post war with an above poster, but Ozzy and Sharon did, at one time in the not-so-distant past, sue Tony Iommi (and possiblly Geezer and Bill Ward) for the name of Black Sabbath. I don't know how successful Ozzy's efforts were. I think this suit came AFTER Heaven and Hell (Dio, Iommi, Butler and Appice) did their three tours; Heaven and Hell were called Heaven and Hell right off the bat, not Sabbath, because Tony Iommi, who at the time (late 2006 and early 2007) owned the Black Sabbath name, didn't want to confuse fans and have Sabbath fans buy H&H tour tickets, only to find Dio (who was unbelievably awesome at the 2007 H&H gig I caught) singing, not Ozzy.

Oh, and D. Mok says "Tate refused to perform Queensryche's popular hits, resulting in ever-diminishing returns from their concerts."

Actually, Queensryche, with Geoff Tate, played mostly the hits and key album tracks at Rocklahoma last year.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 2:06:23 PM PST
I have no ill will toward Geoff Tate and what he has done any longer, and wish him the very best where his journeys take him. However the place he is at musically is not where I am at musically at this point in time.

Queensryche (Todd, Whip, Ed, Parker, and Scott) are playing music these days that are more in line with what I am interested in hearing in a live band. They are playing with energy and passion, and it is evident in their performances that they are hungry again, and are giving their fans a quality show. I've seen them twice with the new line up, and its great to see that there's an excitement in their performance again.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 3:29:07 PM PST
D. Mok says:
It's obvious Geoff Tate wants to be a solo artist. He should just stop pretending he's part of a band. He's only trying to be Queensryche because the name makes him money. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make money, but there's something terribly wrong when a bloated-head singer denigrates his bandmates -- old friends since 1980 -- and tries to say he *is* the band.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 7:38:21 PM PST
Bass boy-Tate admitted to spitting on bandmate on That Metal Show!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 9:05:05 AM PST
@ bass boy

"Actually, Queensryche, with Geoff Tate, played mostly the hits and key album tracks at Rocklahoma last year."

-they only did the more popular "hits" such as songs from Operation Mindcrime and Empire like usual, but not the songs that most of the hardcore fans have been asking for....most of us really want a lot of songs from the ep and the warning album, but he refuses to do the majority of it cause "metal heads aren't very smart, so i don't really care for that heavy metal aspect of music anymore"....that's paraphrasing but he has said something along those lines....plus he can't hit the high notes anymore....todd latorre can

rocklahoma they did a few decent rockers, but that wasn't what most setlists were like around that time....he always did most songs from Operation Mindcrime and then a bunch from Dedicated to Chaos, and a few others mixed in, but he just can't let the whole Operation Mindcrime thing go....he has milked that thing way too far

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 9:27:46 AM PST
MechanicalAnimal1, i though it was just me. I love that first Queensryche EP a lot. One of my favorite records still. I remember when it came out and it was so cool. If i saw them i would love to here the whole record, that would be great. Wonder why he doesn't like that record? It's their best to me.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 9:48:02 AM PST
@ anthony

the ep is my favorite thing they've ever done, and i actually do like all of their albums...i am one of the few that probably thinks Operation Mindcrime 2 was actually pretty good music wise...concept wise, not so much....

i have been able to find something in every album of theirs to like, to me American Soldier is their weakest album, followed closely by the Dedicated to Chaos album....i don't hate them, they are just my least favorite....

i was really skeptical with the whole thing about them with a new singer, but once i heard and saw them, i am totally fine with the new version of queensryche, and i am highly anticipating their new album!

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 9:49:34 AM PST
hey, whatever happened to the initial person that started this discussion now???

hello, shannon....are you there??

did the rest of us get you that upset or what??

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 10:59:10 AM PST
bass boy says:
Well, I was hoping Geoff was a nice guy, but this video on this link might prove that the other band members are in the right.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176623

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 11:13:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 11:16:28 AM PST
D. Mok says:
Surprise, surprise, surprise. Even back in Queensryche's heyday, Tate has always looked like the one who thought he was too good to be there, Eddie Jackson and Scott Rockenfield were always uncomfortable with the spotlight, while Chris DeGarmo was funny, warm and real. Listen to a bootleg of the MTV Unplugged show sometime. DeGarmo was pushing everybody else to play "Anybody Listening?": "Come on, Scott, *&^%ing play along...who cares if we mess up, right? These are our fans!"

Unfortunately, the above video also shows how far the band has fallen musically. Wilton's solo on "Jet City Woman" was mangled (that sour note at 3:57...OUCH), and the groove was leaden, dragging horribly. Geoff Tate looks like an idiot doing a Rick Astley shuffle, trying to look cool and being anything but. The whole performance is phoned in.

Tate makes even a bigger fool of himself with the intro to "I Don't Believe in Love". Jesus, Tate, don't ever try to be hip again. You're a disgrace to rock frontmen everywhere. These videos make me think he has a brain tumour and doesn't have full consciousness of his own actions.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 11:19:43 AM PST
d mok....you're hilarious!....keep it going, hahaha

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 2:34:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 2:34:51 PM PST
zlh67 says:
I have to admit, the whole split between Tate and the rest of the band is far more entertaining to me than their music ever was, so I'm hoping they don't make nice anytime soon. Before this, the only time I got excited when I saw the name "Queensryche" is when I had only glanced and thought it said just "Queen".

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 6:42:25 PM PST
ulijon says:
Ha, good one z - I did really dig them when the first ep was released, I still remember hearing it first on Metal Shop and buying it soon after. The Warning was the first CD I ever bought after playing my vinyl copy to death and I followed them through the Operation Mindcrime tour but after that they dropped off my radar almost completely.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  90
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions