Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Whats some of your most favorite live rock DVDs ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 13, 2010 4:34:57 AM PDT
D. Cormican says:
Please consider camera work, film quality, sound quality, and performance. Also that the recordings are easily available for purchase.

I just setup a home theater system and I'm looking too start my live rock concert library. Mega Thanks

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 5:19:04 AM PDT
Dr. Rock says:
Some of my favorites:
Rush: Snakes & Arrows Live
Yes: Live in Montreux 2003
John Fogerty: Comin' Down the Road: The Concert at Royal Albert Hall
Motorhead: Stagefright

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 5:55:45 AM PDT
I really enjoy

Yes - Symphonic Live (2002 or so, performing with a pretty young, lively orchestra)
Rush - In Rio
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live at El Mocambo (early Stevie, in a small, sweaty club. Mindblowing energy)
Pink Floyd - At Pompeii

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 6:20:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2010 3:40:27 PM PDT
my favorites -

yes - songs from tsongas (the 35th anniversary tour)
porcupine tree - arriving somewhere
pink floyd - pulse *

* i agree with Rare Goat that Pink Floyd at Pompeii is excellent musically. However since the OP mentioned sound quality, it is rather lacking in that area, imo.
in conclusion : for performance - i'd go with 'pompeii', for sound and video quality - go with
'pulse'

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 7:58:56 AM PDT
I haven't heard it myself but I understand Woodstock on Blu-Ray the sound quality has been upgraded nicely.

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 8:15:49 AM PDT
Dr. Rock says:
I also have Yes: Songs From Tsongas, Yes: Symphonic Live, and Rush- In Rio. I suggested Yes live in Montreux and Rush Snakes & Arrows over those because of sound quality and video quality. Performance wise Rush in Rio might be slightly better, but as far as sound and video quality Snakes & Arrows live is Rush's best live dvd. Yes Symphonic Live is also excellent in terms of performance, sound, and video quality, but I feel Live in Montreux is a better concert because it has the classic line-up and is a better performance than Songs From Tsongas. Just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 1:11:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2010 2:28:54 PM PDT
D. Cormican says:
Thanks Rare Goat

I just purchased Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live at El Mocambo. I dont no what Pink Floyd to get first yours or Dr. Rocks I'll probably get them bought in the long run. any more recomenations

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 1:25:38 PM PDT
D. Cormican says:
Thanks Robert
Question on porcupine tree - arriving somewhere I want too buy one because I never have heard of them and wanted treat myself to something new. BUT lol, there is three differnt dvds of that concert 2006, 2009 and a double disk. 2006 is alot cheaper was the 2009 remastered ? Should I save some money and get 2006 ?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 1:39:53 PM PDT
D. Cormican says:
Thanks Mike

I have too get woodstock I remeber when all my friends and I went to the theater when it was first released, that was a good time. Have you listened to the Jimi Hendrix at woodstock dvd or recomend a difernt Jimi dvd ?

thanks

Posted on Oct 13, 2010 2:10:25 PM PDT
For Classic Metal I would recomend Live After Death and Flight 666 by Iron Maiden. Live Vengeance-Judas Priest. Cliff em All-Metallica. For Classic Rock I would recomend Irish Tour 74 -Rory Gallagher. Live in Germany-Rainbow. Earls Court 1975-Led Zeppelin. Also Live at Radio City-Heaven and Hell(Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 2:17:52 PM PDT
D. Cormican says:
Thanks Dr. Rock
I have John Fogerty at Royal Albert Hall and Its great. I thought everything was perfect except the drum heads that the drummer was using just didnt have that crisp beat that Credence had. The drummer was really good and of course it was John Fogerty not Credence. I have a total of three dvds so far, I like your taste. I have too get a Rush and Motorhead dvd. Motorhead is coming out with a new live dvd on Nov. 23, 2010 so I'll wait on that. I like the older Rush albums the best so do they play thier older stuff more on one of the two cds ? I love Yes too but will probably add it later to my collection. any other recomendations ?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 3:37:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2010 3:38:40 PM PDT
D Cormican -

Re ; Porcupine Tree - Arriving somewhere
I have the 2006 version and it's great. I can't give you any info about the other two you mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 5:01:12 PM PDT
I'm not sure about that one. Actually I rarely watch concerts on DVDs. I mainly listen to music; my TV is mostly for sports and movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2010 8:14:38 PM PDT
D. Cormican says:
Thanks Stephen

I ordered Rainbow live in Hamburg Germany. I've been a long time Rory Fan I have the Live at Montreux dvd its probaly not as good as Irish Tour musicaly but film and camera work quality is pertty good. I like Judas Priest and Metallica. Got any more ideas ?

Thanks

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 6:10:54 AM PDT
D. Cormican says:
So far I bought:
John Fogerty, Live at Albert Hall
Rory Gallagher, Live at Montreux
Hawkwind, Chaos
Flogging Molly, Live at the Greek
Foghat, Millennium Tour
Hot Tuna, Live at the New Oleans House
Ground Hogs, Live at the Astoria
Stevie Ray Vaughn Live at El Mocambo
Pink Floyd, Pulse
Rainbow, Live in Munich
AC/DC, Live at Donington
Metalica, The Videos 1989-2004
Doc Watson and David Grism, Live in Concert

I live in a town with a population of 6,500 so I have to order my stuf
I added Rush, Motorhead, Yes, Porcupine Tree are in my wish list
Well Im just about broke I have two more dvds to order.
I appreciate your recomendations, But I need a couple of more
Please keep them coming, before my wife cuts me off, lol

Thanks

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 7:28:53 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
I'll take Roger Waters "In The Flesh" over anything available by Pink Floyd.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 9:02:52 AM PDT
Do you know how to copy and paste?

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R34Z0A2RXS7Z22/ref=cm_lm_pthnk_view?ie=UTF8&lm_bb=

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 11:11:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2010 2:00:19 PM PDT
Working Man says:
It really depends on what you like. Some of my favorites are:

- Led Zeppelin - Great performances spanning their career
- Pink Floyd - Pulse. Includes the complete Dark Side of the Moon
- Yes - Keys to Ascension or Songs from Tsongas. Both good DVDs, you may want to look at the set lists to decide. Yes has several live DVDs to pick from.
- Jethro Tull - Living with the Past. Great mix of Tulls career.
- Paul Rodgers - Live in Glasgow. Great versions of songs from Free, Bad Company, solo and the Firm. If you prefer either Bad Company or Free then pick up either Bad Company at the Hard Rock or Free Forever (some great stuff on Free, supposedly it's everything available on video from Free).
- Deep Purple - Like Yes, there's a lot to choose from. They have a long career and it depends on which version of the band you like. MK II, I would recommend Deep Purple Live in Concert '72/'73. If you like MK III, try the California Jam DVD. If Rainbow is your thing, then Rainbow Live in Munich 1977 is great. There are also a couple of compilation dvds with a mix of stuff, some rare and some available on other DVDs with various levels of quality, so be careful.
- Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival DVDs are good buys.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010 11:36:52 AM PDT
Scopophobia - Therapy?
XXV Gathering - Killing Joke
Hand Held And Rigidly Digital - Stiff Little Fingers
From The Audio/Video Dept...Live In Anaheim - Supersuckers
Let's Rock Again! - Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
Live At The Assassination Club - D.O.A.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 5:51:58 AM PDT
D. Cormican says:
After 2 hours of fiddling around with microsofts helpful paperclip guy and exchanging a few heated and unnecessary words with him, I finally called my son who talk me through the copy paste procedure.

Well worth the effort thank you. Today I'm ordering porcupine tree. Robert C. also recommended it. I told Robert I never heard them before so I cant wait to hear it. John McLaughlin are you serious, Birds of Fire with Carlos is one of my favorite Rock Jazz Fusion Albums added Friday Night Live San Fran to wish list. Added your list to my favorites.
Thanks alot

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 6:34:13 AM PDT
D. Cormican says:
Working man

I really appreciate the your Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, and Paul Rogers comments. Deep Purple especially because your right they have allot of stuff and Jethro to, Tulls original members live yeah I'm liken that.
I did order Pulse, and Rainbow in Munich but haven't received them yet. Jethro Tull - Living with the Past in, has been added top of the wish list.

Thank you, Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 7:06:20 AM PDT
D. Cormican says:
Thomas
Thanks for the list, believe it or not I have not heard any of these groups. Yes I have been living in a musical less void for the last 15 years. Occasionally listening to my old records and cds over and over again, I was stuck in some kind of warp time continuum thing, or married with kids, kids are gone so I'm trying to crawl out of the Musical less void. I checked out your list I need something fresh and new to listen to would you please recommend me Two of them.

So like if someone came over to your place to listen to music out of your list which two would you play first. 1st then 2nd order if you would please.

Thank You

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 12:51:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2010 12:54:12 PM PDT
D.-
The SLF vid first, the Supersuckers 2nd.
The Supersuckers may definitely appeal to you.
They keep it fast and hard with some country
riffage thrown in, all the while keeping up with
a true American rock sound. And they are
currently one of the finest live acts out there-

Stiff Little Fingers - just for their history and
a very good set list. At the time it featured the
amazing Bruce Foxton on bass. Check it out...
he's one of the all-time greats.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Oct 13, 2010
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions