Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

What are your favorite corporate classic rock albums (Top 10)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2012 2:40:48 PM PST
Like the topic states...What are you favorite top 10 albums from "corporate" classic rock albums of the years say 1976-1984.

I will start the list. Please keep it at 10.

In no particular order....

1. Styx - The Grand Illusion
2. Supertramp - Breakfast In America
3. Journey - Infinity
4. Foreigner - Double Vision
5. Cheap Trick - In Color
6. Boston - S/T
7. Loverboy - Get Lucky
8. R.E.O. Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity
9. Styx - Pieces Of Eight
10. Journey - Escape

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 5:10:32 PM PST
RichieV says:
Good list. I personally would probably replace In Color with the more popular Live at Budokan and pieces of eight with Paradise theater. (But only because, as a young teen I probably listened to those albums more, before I got into a little heavier music)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 5:21:05 PM PST
Maybe Some Girls & Rocks.

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 6:29:26 PM PST
I never really understood the "Corporate" label on these artists. They were generally doing what they wanted. That label would apply moreso to the second and third-rate glam bands of the mid to late 80's to be honest.

1. Styx - The Grand Illusion
2. Pat Benatar - Crimes Of Passion
3. Rolling Stones - Some Girls
4. Queen - The Game
5. Rod Stewart - Foot Loose and Fancy Free
6. Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery
7. Supertramp - Breakfast In America
8. Journey - Escape
9. Boston - S/T
10. Foreigner - Head Games

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 6:30:08 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 20, 2012 6:30:29 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 7:29:21 PM PST
tokolosi says:
So, what *isn't* "corporate" rock among *any* successful band?

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 4:14:31 PM PST
Kansas - Leftoverture
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Boston - 1st
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Foreigner - 1st
Queen - Day At The Races
Electric Light Orchestra - Out Of The Blue
Eagles - Hotel California
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Asia - 1st

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 4:21:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 23, 2012 8:21:31 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 6:55:04 PM PST
One that's not on a major label but still selling records, maybe?? Or on a major label, but hasn't "sold out" just to please the powers that be.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 1:27:16 AM PST
My definitions of Corporate Classic rock of the period from 1976-1984-ish (just my .02 cents)
-Slick Productions or over-produced
-Includes tons of radio friendly or ready made hits to satisfy a record label (sell out)
-Lots of bashing from critics but was popular with the record buyer or radio station.

@Mac I am asking for people's favorites of the above definitions not your least favorite(s).

@Metalhead Jay I would agree with 9 out of 10 of your list as being really good choices.

I totally disagree with the Stone's album you listed as being corporate. I would list something more like "Tattoo You" That would be more slick and polished and trying too hard for top 40 hits. (Which they suceeded) Tattoo You is one of my favorites from that era.

@Mark Bumgardner...Great choices...I don't think Kansas "sold out" until much later with albums like "Audio Visions" or "Vinyl Confessions" Leftoverture is an excellent , excellent album. Would you care to elaborate why it made your list?

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 1:59:31 AM PST
I see people here are having as many problems defining "corporate rock" as they are defining "classic rock" over on my thread. Phew--makes me feel more at ease in an odd way! :)

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 2:36:04 AM PST
@Michael Topper, Nah not really. I would like to see you contribute a list if you could. I just see eras of 1964-1967 British Invasion 1968-1975 main years of classic rock talked about the most. These periods of classic rock are covered extensively in the forums and I wanted a break from it. I think most of the Classic Rock from 1976-1983 or 1984 is just not talked about much unless it is the Heavy Metal of bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest or AC/DC. I think most of it is because said people that post on these forums (my opinion) are an older crowd that dig the older classic rock which is fine. Maybe some others decided that early heavy metal was more to their liking. My last guess would be that maybe some people think it is not cool to mention groups like Styx, Journey, Supertramp etc , like it is some guilty pleasure to like these bands. Or last but not least they just dislike these bands in general.

@everyone. Please keep those lists coming...:)

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 2:47:39 AM PST
@Daniel A.Lazarus: well, the problem is I really *don't* much like the AOR/arena-rock bands of the period, with some exceptions (I do like Supertramp, although I think that they were in a slightly different category). I could make a top ten list of classic rock-oriented albums I like between 1976-1983, but I don't think most of them would qualify as "corporate".

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 2:58:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2012 2:59:19 AM PST
@Michael Topper, I could take a stab at what you would list as your top 10 from 76-83.

Rust Never Sleeps - Neil Young
Back In Black - AC/DC
Highway to Hell - AC/DC
Darkness on the Edge of Town - Bruce Springsteen
The River - Bruce Springsteen
The Royal Scam - Steely Dan
Aja - Steely Dan
Gaucho - Steely Dan

Am I warm???? LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 7:16:31 AM PST
I wouldn't call Supertramp Corporate Rock either. There's enough originality there to defy that categorisation...great melodies, harmonies, original songwriting. They don't sound at all like the homogenised Perry-era Journey or radio-friendly-era REO or Styx to me. I've always liked Supertramp.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 8:29:07 AM PST
I disagree...Supertramp's album of "Breakfast In America" is just as a slick as any Styx album.

anyways....I respect your guy's opinions and agree to disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 8:44:01 AM PST
Daniel,
I was just listing albums by groups considered to be "corporate" which I happened to (at one time, at least) really like. I get your point about Kansas not really "selling out" (so to speak) until later in their career. Leftoverture is my favorite album by them (even though I like almost all of their albums). If I had been making a list of "albums that groups sold out with", my list would be very much different. In fact, I'm not even sure I could come up with such a list. Hope this makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 9:12:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2012 9:21:06 AM PST
Well, putting it a different way, do you really think a song like "Goodbye Stranger" is as bland and homogenised as "Open Arms", "Babe" or "I Can't Fight This Feeling"? I don't. 'BIA' is a classic Prog-Pop concept album. May sound over-produced to some, but it's still way better than a lot of the dreck some of those 80s arena rock bands were producing. ELO is in a similar category as Supertramp...and I like them too.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 10:30:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2012 10:31:09 AM PST
I agree that "Breakfast In America" is slick, but it's just like Journey/Styx/Foreigner etc. And that's by far Supertramp's most commercial album, the others are more art-rock.

@Daniel A Lazarus: not even close, I'm afraid! I'd put "Rust Never Sleeps" in there for sure, but I'm not sure where you ever got the idea I was a Springsteen fan. AC/DC are OK but I can think of better albums I'd put in their place. And, interestingly, while I like Steely Dan's first three albums a lot, by the time they get to "Aja" I find them boring and overly-slick.

OK OK here's ten albums from the 76-83 period I'd put in there, unranked:

"Rumours", Fleetwood Mac
"Tusk", Fleetwood Mac
"Rust Never Sleeps", Neil Young
"Some Girls", The Rolling Stones
"The Pretenders", The Pretenders (I'm trying to limit the # of New Wave albums I put in here, but The Pretenders' debut is the most classic rock-y to me)
"Little Queen", Heart
"Dog And Butterfly", Heart
"Breakfast In Americca", Supertramp
"Hotel California", The Eagles
"Low", David Bowie

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 1:20:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2012 1:56:17 PM PST
No no no and no. It's not even their most commercial release, they put out more commercial-sounding stuff after 'BIA'. I still say it has more in common with ELO than Foreigner, Styx and Journey, but I guess nobody else here agrees with me. That's ok, you guys can keep your REOs and Loverboys, I'll take Supertramp any day over them. LOL. ;o)

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 5:18:23 PM PST
@Michael Topper I actually like your top 10 list with the exception of the two Fleetwood Mac albums. (not a fan) I am thrilled to see "Little Queen" and "Breakfast In America" on your list. Two awesome albums.
I retrospect I wish I had just asked for people's top 10-15 favorite classic rock albums from 76-83. I guess I did make some people think outside the box and debate a little about certain bands.

Since you listed 10 of your top 10 favorite albums from 1976-1983...I will do the same. My list will change significantly. It was difficult to trim it from 30 to 20,15 and then the final 10. I had to dig deep. I even made stacks of my CDs and faced them off as if I could only take 10 of them with me to a desert island and they couldn't be from 1975 (great year) or earlier. "Breakfast In America" was in my top 30 but did not make it past my first cut.

In no particular order...

1. "Zenyatta Mondatta", The Police
2. "Permanent Waves", Rush
3. "Van Halen", Van Halen
4. "Presence", Led Zeppelin
5. "Little Queen", Heart
6. "The Grand Illusion", Styx
7. "Deguello", ZZ Top
8. "A Trick of the Tail", Genesis
9. "Desolation Angels", Bad Company
10."In Color", Cheap Trick

Five honorable mentions would have been...

"Shiek Yerbouti",Frank Zappa
"Double Vision", Foreigner
"Highway to Hell", AC/DC
"Cat Scratch Fever", Ted Nugent
"Street Survivors", Lynyrd Skynyrd

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 6:18:31 PM PST
@Daniel A. Lazarus: That wasn't my top ten favorite albums from the period, I still tried to restrict it to classic rock-oriented works, and tried to leave out punk/new wave material. Otherwise there would definitely be albums by The Police, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Kate Bush, Matt Johnson (The The) etc.

I did realize I left out "Going For The One" by Yes on my list, that would have fit the criteria I had.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 7:00:41 PM PST
My list was my top 10 "classic rock" albums. You are most likely debating The Police being classic rock (subjective) and I understand. I need to give Going For the One more listens. besides the title track it hasn't sunk in over the years. Tormato has sunk in more but not completely. Call me crazy but I really like "Drama" so under-rated but to Yes purists it is the devil in sheeps clothing. My top 10 favorites of any and all music most likely wouldn't change that much since 95% of what I like is classic rock with a few proto punk bands thrown in and Pop/punk like Blondie, Devo, X, Oingo Boingo, Ramones, Talking Heads etc.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 7:16:48 PM PST
@Daniel Lazarus: yeah, The Police do skirt the line, they are played on classic rock radio, I probably should have included them. I never liked "Drama" much except for "Machine Messiah". "Tormato" is largely sub-par. I'd say give "Going For The One" another try!

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 7:28:52 PM PST
Listening to later Cheap Trick albums to rate them and then will be listening to Going For the One for the first time in like 10 years. Gonna have to go through some boxes in the closet to find it. I don't think I gave this CD a fair chance when I bought it and I think I bought it to complete my collection. I will report back with what I think.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions