Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

everything Porcupine Tree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 6924 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2008 2:09:03 PM PDT
ok, I just recently got into this band thanks to some friends up here on Amazon in the classic rock thread, and I'm wondering on anyone's take on them, best song, album? How did you hear of them, anything regarding the band.....I am going to buy my first PT CD today and am torn over which one to start with. Suggestions welcome!!!! I created a forum for PT so the dedicated fans can "goon" out together.

edit-I just purchased Fear of a Blank Planet and am eagerly awaiting to get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 3:11:27 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
RE: "I just purchased Fear of a Blank Planet and am eagerly awaiting to get it"

Probably not a bad choice, knowing your tastes, though I don't own it yet
But the two preceding albums show a definite progression towards a heavier and more modern sound

While the older ones I have are trippier and more Pink Floyd like
In fact, The Sky Moves Sideways reminds me very much of Wish You Were Here

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 3:15:30 PM PDT
that's my favorite floyd album, so maybe I'll go with sky as my next purchase. I'm going to have to re read the posts in the other thread for randy and d.'s picks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 3:46:24 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
I still think Deadwing has the broadest appeal, of the four I own

But, I did download the song "Fear of a Blank Planet" today, and it could be my favorite yet
Looking forward to getting the CD

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 3:50:17 PM PDT
I checked out the video of that song, and it's crazy...the lyrics on the song too..trips me out. I love it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 4:44:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2008 3:30:08 PM PDT
TM™ says:
Samantha;
I have been resisting starting a thread on this topic because I already have so much Porcupine Tree just acquired in the last 2 weeks, when I first heard of them here like you did, and I've had so much to absorb b4 making an informed opinion. I've already been "gooning" about them to a couple long time friends. I am absolutely floored by how incredible this band is, and I can't remember being so obsessed by a newly discovered band in a very long time.
As far as best song, that is a question that I may never be able to answer, because almost every song is very good, if not great. As far as albums that I have (8 of them), I will try to explain the differences between them

In Absentia --- I think this cd has a little bit of all the best of the other ones. More of a hard edge than psychedelic.

Signify --- After further listenings on headphones (which is strongly recommended ((D. Guymon major props)) especially for this cd) I now absolutely love this cd. It has an overall dark mood, yet not disturbing. There are so many subtle atmospheric sound tinges, colorings, and flavorings that make up the music on this disc, you absolutely must listen to it on headphones to fully appreciate the greatness of this music.

Stupid Dream --- Not as much of a hard edge as most of the others. Psychedelic and extremely accesible. Every single song on here is strong.

The Sky Moves Sideways --- This one will always draw the most comparisons to Pind Floyd. It's "Wish You Were Here" on steroids. Absolutely mind blowing stuff, the alternate 34 minute version of the title track is a journey through time and space. The only reason I don't rate this higher is it's not something you probably want to listen to as often as the others because of the length of a lot of the tunes.

Deadwing --- The first one I heard, now look at me. Mix of The Church/Pink Floyd/STP. Mostly a hard edge.

Lightbulb Sun --- Very similar to Stupid Dream, just a little bit less rocking.

Fear Of a Blank Planet --- Somewhere between Deadwing and The Sky Moves Sideways. A little more mainstream than most, yet excellent still. The song "Anesthetize" has Alex Lifeson playing guitar on it. There's a pretty gnarly video on Youtube of it although it's not the whole 17 minute long song. One word for that tune: harrowing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1QXjo-Lph4
there's also quite a few other PT songs on there. It is a very good cd.

Up the Downstair --- The earliest work of their's that I own. Very similar to early Pink Floyd, very trippy and relaxing. Great for late night spacing back and kicking out.

In the end, for most listeners who really want to explore this incredible band, I would suggest either starting with In Absentia, Stupid Dream, Deadwing , or Signify, and then combine that with The Sky Moves Sideways, I would not start with The Sky.... alone because it is so very different than everything else. If you are one that may want to start at the beginning, I suggest you start with Up the Downstair, not On The Sunday Of Life which really was their first, but there is a lot of experimental stuff on there that may turn you off unnecessarily, read the reviews on amazon and you'll see. Enjoy the best new band I've heard in 30 years, REALLY!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 4:51:02 PM PDT
T.

Thank you for your input...I think that Fear and deadwing will be the ones I like alot as i definitly am a fan of headbanging hard edged rock/metal. I won't make my mind up of course after I get those 2 cds. I am going to purchase the other albums before fully making any opinions comments etc..so far what I've heard I've liked.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 4:56:59 PM PDT
TheTuneFreak says:
Samantha,
Welcome to your new favorite band. I work at a radio station and I first heard about them when I played them, I've been a rabid fan ever since... I started with Stupid Dream, saw them on thier first US tour, bought Signify and that was it for me... They are light, dark, deep and twisted, and I try and let anyone that I know that likes rock n roll or metal-I just try to turn people on to them all the time... They are quite simply one of the best bands on earth and more people will be hearing them if I have my say.
I say try Signify first, even if it is less like the newer stuff. It's still a PT classic and you'll want them all anyway... Can't wait to hear what you think!
P's, Mike

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 5:01:31 PM PDT
you're right I do want them all! I am open minded with music and I like alot of hard rock/metal and also proggier stuff...fates warning, yes, dream theater etc...and these guys are just all over the place..

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 5:20:16 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
T. McGee,

Nice, informative post!

Samantha, D. Guymon (he'll be here soon) and I are all new to PT, turned onto them by others on these forums

I must say I like The Sky best, and Deadwing better than In Abstenia (Signify I haven't really given a good listen to)

But that's still an early impression, subject to change

I've yet to order the other five albums, but know I will!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 5:30:27 PM PDT
Porcupine D says:
Samantha

Way to go!, I was considering starting a Porcupine Tree thread myself because I'm sure other people are starting to get real tired of hearing me goon out over them on the "radio list'' classic rock forum. alexmontrose was going to start a 10 favorite PT songs thread that I've been waiting for, but I'm thinking maybe he forgot about it..who knows...anyway....here are my suggestions, I'm no expert but I do currently have 6 of their albums.

Current favorite album--In Absentia, Amazon reviewers have called this one their "masterpeice", and I have to agree. According to my I-pod, this is the album that I listen to the most. Highly recommended!!!

Second favorite--The Sky Moves Sideways, This is the album that IMO has the biggest Pink Floyd vibe to it. Very trippy sounding, in fact, one of my first thoughts upon listening to it was......This would be fun to listen to while tripping.....if you're thinking of purchasing this one, do yourself a favor and get the remastered double disc. It's worth it for the alternate version of the title track alone.

3rd--Deadwing....IMO, this is a great album for your first time PT purchase. They started rocking out considerably harder on this album, but there is still some of that Pink Floyd vibe to it. It also has some beautifull vocal harmonies and slower material....Lazarus and Arriving Somewhere But not Here are standouts....excellent, excellent album.

4th-Signify, This one took me a little bit to warm up to, Untill I listened to it on headphones, then I fell in love with it. Current favorite song on this album is Every Home Is Wired, but ask me next week and I'll probably have a different one picked out. Listened to the entire album today at work...Twice....back to back.

5th--Fear Of A Blank Planet, Still wrapping my head around this one. Not that its a bad album (I'm beginning to think that these guys are unable to record a bad album), but for some reason I'm just not digging this one as much as my previous choices. I'm wondering if this is going to be like when I first heard Miles Davis's Kind Of Blue, or the Stones Exile On Main Street. Took me a while to warm up to those two albums, but I now think they are standouts. I agree with Capt Ogre, I think you will really like this album also.

Last but not least, Up The Downstair.....Very good album, although IMO, you can tell that it's very early PT. Lots of instrumentals, very trippy/ambient/spacey sound. Stand out track...Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape. Sounds like it was recorded live, although I find no mention of this on the liner notes, unless I missed it.

Any other PT fans reading this....Is Steve Wilson a christian? There seem to be an awfull lot of reference's to religion and christianity in several of his songs....the song Halo in particular, or it could be I'm trying to read more into it than what's there, or just completely missing the point. I've been known to be guilty of both

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 5:35:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2008 5:38:08 PM PDT
Porcupine D says:
TheTuneFreak

You saw them! I am so envious! Where? When?.......details! I need details! BTW, I love hearing other people's concert stories, so please be as descriptive as possible...thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 5:56:58 PM PDT
Porcupine D says:
Capt Ogre

I know this was discussed on the other thread, but I am eagerly waiting to hear your review of the Porcupine Tree concert DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 6:00:19 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
T. McGee,

My bad, I guess I should read more thoroughly before responding, I just skipped ahead to your "rankings"

Two weeks? You sure dove right in!

I think you beat out D. Guymon on the PT goon scale LOL :o)

OK, I really DO have to run...the poker boys await
It's In Absetenia and Signify tonight for their listening pleasure

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 6:02:35 PM PDT
Porcupine D says:
T. McGee

Re: Signify

If you haven't already done so, try listening to it on headphones. I know it sounds goofy, but I felt the same way untill I did. I now love that album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 6:28:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2008 6:29:26 PM PDT
TM™ says:
D.

That's not a bad idea, I've already ripped the "top goon" title from you, maybe I can put some more distance between us. I was also listening to Signify while typing my initial post, and I did like it more than previously, which is no surprise. I saw that other than Signify our rankings were pretty close. I strongly suggest you get Stupid Dream next. Every single song on there is great imho. If you like that (which you will) I suggest Lightbulb Sun. Of course you probably know you're going to end up getting them all anyway, so yours and pretty much everybody else's fate is sealed already. Welcome everybody, to the Land of Goondom.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 6:59:16 PM PDT
Porcupine D says:
T. McGhee

Stupid Dream is going to be my next purchase. Depending on Capt. Ogre's review of the live Arriving Somewhere DVD, I'll probably get that also. You certainly didn't waste any time getting their albums! LOL, Maybe this thread should be retitled, The Porcupine Tree Goonfest! Welcome All!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 7:42:45 PM PDT
TM™ says:
goon goon goon, goon goon I am

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 7:56:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 18, 2009 1:18:02 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 8:03:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2008 8:31:41 PM PDT
Porcupine D says:
Samantha

Just one more thing....I really want to give credit where credit is due. Randy Blythe is the one responsible for turning me on to Porcupine Tree, and giving me suggestions on which albums to check out first. So it's basically all his fault for my becoming a total PT goonhead. I have come to the conclusion that if Randy reccomends it, I don't question it, not just PT, but other bands as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 8:17:09 PM PDT
Porcupine D says:
Alexmontrose

Nice to hear from you again. You're probably right about waiting a while longer to start the favorite PT songs thread. Although I am itching to list my favorites, its best to wait a while. As you well know, buying PT CD's is like eating potato chips. You can't have just one or two. Let's let every one, as you put it "absorb" and collect more PT...and I know they will want to, and when you are ready to post that thread, I'll be ready to post my favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 9:15:47 PM PDT
TM™ says:
D.

You talk about another PT thread you have been posting at, how about telling us where that is. I have seen one other discussing PT and Spock's Beard, but I don't think I saw anything from you or Capt. Ogre. I'd like to read what others have written.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 11:42:53 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
T. McGee,

They're talking about an idea for a future thread, once all us new PT goons are familiar enough to actually discuss our favorite songs

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2008 11:46:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2008 11:49:51 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
Alexmontrose,

I know you hate this, but...

What D. said about Randy, same to you

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 12:26:05 AM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
OK,

I'm officially gooning out now...

Wish I could describe what I'm hearing as eloquently as some of you, all I can say is I've now been totally blown away three times

Deadwing WAS the best new thing I've heard in at least a decade

When I heard The Sky Moves Sideways...same reaction, on a different plane

Didn't think it could get any better after that, and In Abstenia enforced that, didn't do it for me like the others

Then listened to Signify three times tonight, and now have a new favorite PT album

I feel like I'm just rambling and really don't have anything constructive to share with you all, except,
"OMG! This is f'n great!! I love this band!!!"

Is that what's meant by "gooning out"?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 277 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  148
Total posts:  6924
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions