Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Who do you like better Deep Purple MK II or Rainbow with Dio?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 18, 2010 6:33:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2010 6:35:34 PM PDT
Working Man says:
The subject says it all. Who do you like better and not who is better. Deep Purple MK II from the 70's, Deep Purple MK II from the 80's or Rainbow with Dio?

Deep Purple MK II (70's):

In Rock
Fireball
Machine Head
Made in Japan(live)
Who Do We Think We Are

Deep Purple MK II (80's):

Perfect Strangers
House of Blue Light
Nobody's Perfect (live)
The Battle Rages On
Come Hell or High Water (live)

Rainbow (with Dio)

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Rainbow Rising
On Stage (live)
Long Live Rock and Roll

This is really hard for me because I really like all three. I may have to go with the following:

1. Deep Purple MK II (70's)
2. Rainbow (with Dio)
3. Deep Purple (MK II (80's)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 6:50:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2010 7:22:13 PM PDT
I love both. How about comparing Rainbow with Gillan? I'd stack up Glory Road and Mr.Universe against any Rainbow albums. Bernie Torme was a very good guitarist on those Gillan albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 7:35:26 PM PDT
bass boy says:
Hey guys, what are the top two or three Gillan (solo band) LPs to get on CD? I don't have any Gillan solo yet. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 7:45:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2010 7:48:14 PM PDT
Mr Universe
Glory Road
Future Shock

This was Ian's early 80s band before he joined Black Sabbath for Born Again. Real hard rocking band and Ian's voice was in great form.

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 8:14:50 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I realy don't know much Gillan solo or with his own band. I downloaded a few free tracks from web site once and I still have them and they are pretty good. I heard once some of his albums had a bit of a jazz feel. Jazz is not really my thing. Are Gillan's albums more bluesy or jazzy?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 8:25:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2010 8:26:20 PM PDT
Gillan has many albums and they cover a range of styles. For hard rock, check out any of the three I mentioned in an earlier post.

I saw a Dio tribute album by a guy named Jorn Lande. He has a tremondous voice.

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 8:27:55 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Christopher, thanks. I will have to put those three Gillan albums on my shopping list.

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 8:31:19 PM PDT
what is the MK II after DP mean, i always see that posted???

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 9:03:34 PM PDT
Exile says:
Freak: MARK II means it was the second lineup from a band that has changed personel numerous times. MK II is considered the quintessential Deep Purple lineup when they released Machine Head, In Rock, Made In Japan..etc..

That being said, put me down for DP MK II,

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 9:40:29 PM PDT
Working Man says:
The MK II lineup was Ian Gillan-vocals, Roger Glover-bass and original members Ritchie Blackmore-guitar, Ian Paice-drums and Jon Lord-keyboards. They reunited in the 80's which is why I had MK II in the 70's and again in 80's. There were MK III with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes replacing Gillan and Glover and then Blackmore left to form Rainbow and he was replaced by Tommy Bolin on guitar. When Bolin died Deep Purple broke up, Coverdale formed Whitesnake and both Lord and Paice spent some time with Whitesnake and Glover also played with Blackmore in Rainbow before MK II reformed around 1984 (I think).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2010 11:06:43 PM PDT
Trout Voice says:
Working Man-
I agree with your order completely.
Deep Purple MK II is possibly my 2nd favorite Rock band of all-time after Mahogany Rush. (The 1970's version of MK II that is).
Bass Boy-
Other Excellent Gillan solo CDs other than what Christopher mentioned are :
"Double Trouble" and "Tool Box". The Live in Anaheim DVD from a couple of years ago is really great as well.
I'm also especially fond of Deep Purple CD - "Bananas"...

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 6:58:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2010 6:59:13 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Hummmmm.....just give me...
Rainbow Rising and Made in Japan

And the rest of you can work this thread out...

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 7:54:28 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
I'm inclined to agree with vivazappa!

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 10:36:18 AM PDT
So i guess i seen the MK II lineup on the reunion tour of 1985, Ian did a ripping solo.

anyone want to hear some heavy kicka** rock n roll in the vide of DP MK II checkout BLOOD OF THE SUN from Dallas,TX. they also had Derek St. Holmes on lead vox on their recent album Deathride.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 10:53:58 AM PDT
bass boy says:
Actually, Bolin died after Deep Purple broke up, I think. He put out two solo LPs after DP disbanded, if I remember correctly. I don't think DP broke up because of Bolin's death.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 10:58:12 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Working Man-my order would be the same as yours. not a shock i guess great minds think alike

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 10:58:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2010 3:38:36 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Never liked Dio so this is no contest. But any hard rock band compared to Mark II Purple would come up short in my book. Some are closer than others but for me Mark II DP is the best hard rock band of all time.

But Deep Purple in the eighties/nineties, when it's all said and done was a pretty big disappointment. One mediocre album after another until the inevitable happened again. Ritchie saying bye bye. Enter Steve Morse, exit the "real" Deep Purple. People can yap all they want about how technically good Morse is..... doesn't matter.The remaining members, after Blackmore split wanted a team player who also happened to be a "great" guitarist. Plenty of tremendous guitar players out there but also plenty that wouldn't fit with Deep Purple. Morse fit the go along, don't cause any trouble type to a T. But musically he was so wrong for Purple that his sound, style, etc. has all but ruined the band as far as i'm concerned. Completely changed their sound and with little or no respect for what made them a little different than anyone else among the hard rock greats. Sorry but Morse stepped in and just started doodling like he would have with any band he was asked to join (After Satriani said no to becoming a full time member). Didn't matter to Morse that Purple had a very distinctive sound, Morse said hey watch me run up and down the fretboard and everyone will go ohhhhh. What's amazing to me is how the remaining members of DP bought it when it changed their sound SOOOOOOO much.

The Morse era sucks except for one blip, a very good album in Purpendicular. The rest, couple good songs here, few there but nothing that was ever strung together to get really excited about. And nothing with that 'real' vintage Purple sound..

Ahhhh just venting ofcourse because sadly it looks like if they ever do bury the hatchet and admit/realize they are just shadows of the former great Purple without Blackmore (and Lord) it will be when their all about 70 years old....Not to far away, come to think of it :)....

I still say it will happen...even if the acrimony between Gillan and Blackmore at this point is getting more like Waters and Gilmour.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 11:03:20 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Alex-it's funny as I was reading your thread and pretty much agreeing with everything you said but thinking in the back of my mind that i really did enjoy Purpendicular-the one album with Morse that i bought. then you gave it kudos. so now i can say i agree completely

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2010 11:13:24 AM PDT
Purpendicular was very good. The following albums had a few good songs on them but overall were kind of uninspired.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 12:03:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2010 12:36:29 PM PDT
Bklyn-Born says:
Deep Purple Mk II (1970's) is one of my all-time favorite bands, so this would be my No.1 pick. Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with the Rainbow material, as I only own Long Live Rock and Roll - which does include one of my all-time favorite hard-rock songs, Kill The King. With regard to DP MkII (1980's), Perfect Strangers is a great album and, to a much lesser extent, House Of Blue Light does have a few choice tracks. I evidently caught the 1980's DP on a good night, as the concert I saw, in Hollywood FL, was excellent; I know most of the reviews I've read were not very flattering! As for the Steve Morse line-up. I saw them twice (and I am a HUGE Steve Morse fan; seen him many times solo and with the Dregs, Kansas); great shows both times. I think Morse fits in perfectly (he does cite Blackmore as an influence). The Purpendicular album is great, from start to finish; one of my personal favorites.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 12:07:33 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Burp.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 12:32:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2010 5:30:00 PM PDT
Working Man says:
As eveyone probably knows I am a big Deep Purple and Blackmore fan and even follow Blackmore's Night, however I take the current lineups with Steve Morse for what they are and I while they don't compare to DP MK II or MK III or maybe even MK I, they aren't bad. I agree that they aren't consistant but I do enjoy, Perpendicular, Abandon, Rapture of the Deep and Bananas. I am a 70's hard rock music bigot, so I'd rather listen to the current Deep Purple lineup than at least 90% of the bands out today.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 12:35:16 PM PDT
Bklyn-Born says:
Right there with you WM..

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 6:39:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2010 6:44:40 PM PDT
Micaloneus says:
Without hesitation, DEEP PURPLE mkII (Gillan, Blackmore, Glover, Lord and Paice).

btw, I've been on a mkII reunion era kick lately and Perfect Strangers (1984), House of Blue Light (1987) & The Battle Rages On (1993), are all better than I remember, excellent albums actually, IMHO.

Posted on Aug 19, 2010 7:11:31 PM PDT
Well, Rainbow Rising is my favorite by either(My fav by purple is "In Rock") but I can't pick between these two. They're both equally good and unique.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic Rock forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Aug 18, 2010
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions