Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Ted Nugent or Derek St Holmes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 78 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2011 10:28:06 PM PDT
Which singer in the Nugent band do you like better?

Ted Nugent or Derek St Holmes?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 6:58:26 AM PDT
Randy says:
Meat Loaf

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 7:18:29 AM PDT
Music Lover says:
Derek St.Holmes by a mile. he is and was great. If Ted could have toned down his ego(which he's obviously way too Ted to do) and kept St.Holmes in the band I think he would be a lot more highly regarded than he did. I think of those first 3 albums similar to the early days of Alice Cooper(when they were actually a band) not a persona. once the persona of Ted took over the whole thing and it became more about his comments, his actions, his behavior instead of their sound it was ruined.
I know Ted wrote 99% of the songs(I believe St.Holmes wrote Hey Baby) and he was still the leader. It was always his vision and his baby. But St.Holmes gave credibility to it. he's a great rock singer and Ted's songs took on a whole new level with him singing. for a while he had Meat Loaf and Charlie Huhn come in as replacements and those are great voices too but eventually it all gave way to Ted singing the whole record and the best thing we can say about Ted as a singer is he's a really good guitar player with a nice scream

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 7:22:12 AM PDT
Randy says:
My earlier(somewhat tongue-in-cheek) comment aside, I say St. Holmes. I like Ted's singing OK, but St. Holmes was a legitimate rock singer, and a great one at that.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 8:33:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 8:34:43 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Nugent's music went downhill fast after St Holmes left...his stage show lacked any variety after that too...

St Holmes vocals did for Ted what James Dewar's did for Trower!

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 8:43:02 AM PDT
Neither one thanks. Most records from the 1970's are still incomparably better than rock today. I like the sound of the vocals and guitars. But in terms of songwriting, these guys weren't fit to shine the shoes of Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple, AC/DC, T-Rex, Bowie, Yes, the Stooges, and Alice Cooper. Everything Nugent and St. Holmes did has been done better.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 8:54:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 10:10:35 AM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Nugent. Just the name makes you roll your eyes. I know I do. It's almost as if you would feel like an idiot bringing up Ted in any good music conversation. Those three solo albums were the beginning, middle and end of any musical credibility he had. Unless someone wants to tell us how wonderful the Amboy Dukes were. But Ted is so disgusting now it's hard to remember that those three albums were pretty good and Derek was a huge part of that. When Teds ego and mouth took over he and his music became a bunch of worthless noise.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 9:08:46 AM PDT
I'm a fan of 'ole Uncle Ted. I like his old stuff. Has anyone listened to "Love Grenade"? Absolutely love that album and it destroys 99% of what has been on radio since. The man still plays a KILLER heavy rock guitar, as he would say "and my guitar does not gently weep". Lyrically, nothing great sounding, but fun stuff. One man's trash is another man's treasure. "I like to eat my Girl Scout Cookies......."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 9:15:21 AM PDT
And why is he so disgusting? Because of his outspoken views? Just curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 9:46:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 9:49:33 AM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Because he thinks it's sport and fun to kill an animal everyday if he feels like it. Because he thinks it's the wild wild west out there and he should be able to walk down the street with AK 47's and any weapon he feels like having. And then if he happens to see some animal walking by he can shoot it too. But ofcourse he needs those guns etc. to protect him while he probably lives in some cushy gated community where there is zero crime. He's just a loud mouth doofus who is completely irrelevant and musically hasn't done a thing worth spit in over 30 years.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 10:15:17 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
St. Holmes for sure, though I thought 1980's "Scream Dream" was a good album w/o him.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 10:27:09 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
And he's on FOX Noise!

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 11:41:59 AM PDT
Who sang Fred Bear? I liked that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 12:21:53 PM PDT
So you're disgusted because he's a hunter and believes in the right to bare arms? And because he is a right wing extremist? Makes perfect sense. UNCLE TED FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 12:24:53 PM PDT
MarcoVG4 says:
St. Holmes - the band was never the same after he left.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 12:30:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 12:41:55 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Right Cody. And if Rosanne Barr sprouted the same loud mouth garbage you would want her for President too. I'm sure you thought it was cool when she puked all over the national anthem before a baseball game. Yeah more power to her right?

Don't care if you agree or disagree with his political views. I don't even look at the gun thing with him as political. I just think he's a punk and a doofus. And yeah personally I couldn't be in the same room with someone who thinks it's funny to blow any animals brains out just for the hell of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 12:35:37 PM PDT
Ted is on tour right now with Derek back in the band I believe.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 12:42:15 PM PDT
I like 'em when they are together cool combo. They complement each other greatly. The creative aspects and singing. I think Ted is fine he would be hard to be with every day. He doesn't seem to have any give and take just a bull dozer, always right. Which is funny on TV but to tour with all the time is probably hard. Glad to see they are back together maybe a late career cool record will come. Ted may have mellowed and not as he said to why Derek left years ago 'there can only be one alpha male/top dog'. Maybe he can just have fun and be a collaborator with the mellowness and wisdom of age.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 12:45:19 PM PDT
B. D. Bush says:
It's a little apples and oranges, but Derek is easily the better singer. And arguably, that period was Nugent's best recorded output. Tremendous synergy of talents. By the way, check out the album Derek recorded with Brad Whitford (Whitford / St. Holmes) for a really overlooked classic.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 12:53:09 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
I'll vote David St. Hubbins just to be a jerk.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 1:05:41 PM PDT
Actually, Roseanne's take was a little out of key for my taste, I didn't care for it.

I'm not a hunter, it even disgusts me. However, to each their own. I'm not gonna hold it against them. You almost make it sound as if I'm a communist or something. At least he speaks what he believes and probably even cares more about what's going on in our country than a certain bumbama in office. But that's a whole 'nother thread in and of itself.

Who would want to put an animal's head on the wall with a hole in it? The torso man, the torso.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 1:07:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2011 1:12:27 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
No, not a communist Cody. How' bout a taxidermist?
Yeah put Rosannes torso on the wall...if you have room.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 1:11:48 PM PDT
Amen! I still say "Love Grenade" is great, if for nothing more than the relentless riffage;p

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 1:15:40 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Never heard it and I'm sure wouldn't think there was anything good about it other than if a doofus like Ted can play guitar then we all should be able to.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 2:10:38 PM PDT
D. Sippel says:
Cody, from what I've seen of his album covers and live shows, Terrible Ted believes in the right to bare arms and bare chest.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  78
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions