Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Are you so sick of Classic Rock Radio like me?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 24, 2012 6:12:46 PM PDT
I wish they would flip the record over! I know every word to every song.

Posted on May 24, 2012 6:45:43 PM PDT
B-Jak says:
I don't know to what degree you are sick of it, but i gave it up almost 30 years ago. It's so pathetic.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 7:09:26 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
Agreed. I don't mind hearing the hits every once in a while, but jeez, why not mix it up a little and dig deeper into those classic albums instead of playing the same few songs by each band or artist over and over again?

And another thing: I wonder if these stations ever considered giving exposure to new material by the classic artists they play (such as Rush, Springsteen, Paul Simon, Neil Young, et al.). Granted, the material itself is technically not "classic," but I would think it deserves such an outlet that would reach the artists' older fans -- those who may not be aware of the new material but may well appreciate it if they heard it.

Posted on May 24, 2012 7:13:23 PM PDT
radio sucks!!!!!!

Posted on May 24, 2012 9:03:21 PM PDT
B L T says:
TURN THE RADIO OFF!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 9:16:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 9:27:21 PM PDT
I recall some years back, a classic rock station in Austin using the tag, "It doesn't have to be old to be classic." This was back in the 1990s and they were playing new material by the artists on the station's playlist. BRAVO! I work in radio for a company that owns a classic rock station here in San Antonio, so I'm well aware of just how formulaic the format can be. Artists such as the Stones, Eric Clapton, John Fogerty, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Rush, Ozzy, AC/DC, the Eagles, Van Halen, U2 and others are still recording. Playing their new releases would be one great way to liven up the station playlist.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 9:23:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 9:24:15 PM PDT
I got the AM
(Radio on!)
Got the car, got the AM
(Radio on!)
Got the AM sound, got the
(Radio on!)
Got the rockin' modern neon sound
(Radio on!)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 9:50:39 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
"I recall some years back, a classic rock station in Austin using the tag, 'It doesn't have to be old to be classic.' This was back in the 1990s and they were playing new material by the artists on the station's playlist. BRAVO!"

Very cool. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2012 9:51:25 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
Roadrunner once
Roadrunner twice
I'm love with rock 'n' roll, and I'll be out all night!

:D

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 11:41:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 3:00:15 PM PDT
Rykre says:
FM rock was cool back around 1975.

There were very cool albums coming out, and the DJ's even played various tracks from the new albums, and of older albums.

Plus, the earlier seventies Progressive Rock albums were still respected and considered for airplay back in 1975.

Imagine this line-up of songs:

Poker - Electric Light Orchestra
Long Train Runnin' - The Doobie Brothers
Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
Dirty Work - Steely Dan
In The Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson
Adam's Apple - Aerosmith
Generation Landslide - Alice Cooper
Lady Jane - The Rolling Stones
Stealin' - Uriah Heep
The Song is Over - The Who
Ramble Tamble - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Trilogy - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
Iron Man - Black Sabbath
Stuck In The Middle - Stealers Wheel
Raised on Robbery - Joni Mitchell
And You and I - Yes
Inside Looking Out - Grand Funk Railroad
I'd Love To Change The World - Ten Years After
Katmandu - Bob Seger
I'm In Love With My Car - Queen
Venus and Mars/Rock Show - Paul McCartney and Wings
Hypnotized - Fleetwood Mac
Summertime - Big Brother and the Holding Company
Hocus Pocus - Focus
All the Girls Love Alice - Elton John
Too Rolling Stoned - Robin Trower
Rain Dance - The Guess Who
Karn Evil 9: First Impression Part 2 - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
I Am The Walrus - The Beatles
Jump Into The Fire - Nilsson
Magic Man - Heart
Rock On - David Essex
Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group
Welcome To My Nightmare - Alice Cooper
Move Over - Janis Joplin
Radar Love - Golden Earring
Hot Rod Lincoln - Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
Season of The Witch - Donovan
Bad Company - Bad Company
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
Living In The Past - Jethro Tull
The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Traffic
Shine On You Crazy Diamond: Part VI, VII, VIII, & IX - Pink Floyd

I miss when FM rock radio sounded like this. This is what Detroit's WRIF 101 FM was like in late summer 1975. (I still have some old cassette tapes that I copied back then, somewhere up in my attic). Back then, the DJ's were cool. We even remembered their names and learned what their favorite songs were. They were calm, mature, and sounded like they could be your father or your high school coach introducing the music to you because they would play like four or five songs in a row, and then tell you the name of the songs, who did it, and what album it came from. That was so cool!

I'm willing to call it "a lost art" in album rock representation.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 4:39:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 4:41:19 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I've said this before and I'll say it again...for me commerical radio died with John Lennon's death...if not before...
LONG LIVE THE "MIGHTY MET"--KMET 94.7 Los Angeles!!!

And WTF is classic rock anywaze???
It's either "classical" or "rock" not both!!!
Well except for maybe some ELP...

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 5:28:16 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Radio is a reflection of the music industry itself, and as that became such a money making machine in the 70's and beyond, more and more execs at both labels and radio thought they'd "figured it out". "Hey, if Led Zeppelin can sell 4 million albums, this band that sounds just like them probably can too." So instead of signing good original bands doing their own thing, it became attack of the clones. And radio reflected that too: why play something new and different that may or may not pull an audience in when you can play established hits you KNOW people want to hear or push safe, new music (ie, formulaic) that past trends have indicated people are also likely to want to hear?

It's all about the almighty dollar, and it's only by chance and dumb luck that a truly original and inventive band breaks through on the radio or charts these days.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 8:13:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 8:14:21 AM PDT
Barry Smith says:
The thing that I miss so much on today's FM radio are the live on-the-air concert recordings. I live in New York City, and back in the 70s and early 80s, certain stations would bring a sound truck to the venues, and do a remote pick up of the concert. For example, a station called WLIR-FM 92.3 broadcasted shows from local venues such as My Father's Place or the Palladium or the Calderone Concert Hall or A&R Studios, or the Capitol Theatre (in Passaic), or the Bottom Line. In Cleveland it was WMMS, live from the Agora. In Philadelphia it was WMMR, live from Sigma Sound Studios, or the Tower Theatre (Upper Darby, actually!). In San Francisco it was KSAN live from Winterland, or Fillmore West, etc. Pick your major city, I'm sure the local rock radio station once recorded the local concert. Either the station would play the show live, or play back the tapes a few nights later.

Many upcoming artists used this format to their advantage such as The Police, Rush, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Elton John, Grateful Dead, Hot Tuna, Allman Brothers Band, Jackson Browne, Bob Marley & The Wailers, John Cougar Mellencamp, Joan Jett, Dire Straits, Boston, etc.

The rock stations used to air these concerts all the time. Plus, intrepid listeners would have their blank cassettes ready, and make beautiful sounding recordings. I have quite a few of these recordings on tape or CD!! But what about today? Now there's practically nothing of this sort. No live shows, no live recordings. FM radio lost the great things that made it so great back in the 70s and early 80s.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 8:21:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 8:26:27 AM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Viva,

The "Met" radio chain/network was great. We had WMET here in Chicago. I think it died in the mid 80's and it was the last hurrah for good, play anything type radio. You got some of the hits but also the "deep" cuts from great bands plus new artists, little known artists, etc. on a daily basis...all mixed in together. That's the way it should be so naturally it went belly up when the musically brain dead general public couldn't relate to anything outside the "norm".

It still surprises me that some music loving, rich entrepreneurs don't start another network of radio stations that millions of people crave, one that would cater to eclectic tastes, not mainstream classic rock jukeboxes that pass for radio today. But I guess there's no money in it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 8:46:20 AM PDT
I stopped listening to the radio in 1978. You should too. If people don't turn it off it will never change.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 8:47:29 AM PDT
We're on a Mexican
raaaaayyyyyy dee oh

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 7:39:08 AM PDT
B L T says:
I miss the commercial free late-night stations of the late 60's/early 70's, like the underground station Beaker Street and the station at the college I attended. It was great, full albums or album sides with no commercials or annoying DJ interruptions.

I stopped listening to rock music on the radio around 1972.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 9:42:42 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Radio is a reflection of the music industry itself, and as that became such a money making machine in the 70's and beyond, more and more execs at both labels and radio thought they'd "figured it out"....

Absolutely correct!
Also, at one time, record labels took an interest in developing new talent. Now they are only interested in backing established money-makers or stars with a built-in fan base ...which is why there are so many Disney channel acts dominating the air waves. They have no trouble getting record deals because they already have a million fans.

One reason this has happened is that radio stations, record companies, record stores, etc. are now owned by big corporations that have no interest in music. The same thing has happened in the book publishing world.

But there are still college radio stations out there that play indie music and entire CD's!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 1:21:50 PM PST
patc71s says:
That's a good set as it has the stale and overly familiar tunes (such as Long Train Runnin') along with great cuts such as Trilogy, Adam's Apple, Inside Looking Out and Venus & Mars/Rock Show among others.

There's a station I would listen to and suffer through Bad Company and Radar Love in order to get to listen to Too Rolling Stoned and Stealin'.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:23:02 PM PST
patc71s says:
I'd be happy if there was a radio station that even played the variety that the cable Classic Rock channel of Music Choice plays.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:56:53 PM PST
Are you familiar with the song "MTV" off of Deep Purple's last studio album? Not actually about MTV, it's about stale classic rock radio (don't know why they called it "MTV", actually - except that MTV is even worse than classic rock radio, as they've given up on music altogether!).

Anyway, I discovered classic rock radio in high school in 1990, around when I was getting into the roots of the modern pop-metal scene - e.g. Zeppelin, early Aerosmith, Tull, etc. (well, don't know if Tull influenced many hair metal bands!) and it was fantastic to me. Ten years later, I got a CD player in my car and realized that I could listen to songs by Tull other than "Aqualung" when I had control, and pretty much stopped listening to radio. Now, I drive a work truck that doesn't always have a CD player, so I'll listen to classic rock radio sometimes. It's nice in small doses, but (here in Boulder, CO) the classic stations don't even play "Aqualung" - I've hardly heard a single Tull or Purple song, but they'll play the Stones, Van Halen, the Eagles, Zeppelin and a few other bands pretty much every hour. At least they do change up the SONGS they play by those bands, but I don't even really like the Eagles and Stones and I don't need to hear Halen all that much (kind of fun, though, as I have hardly touched my VH CDs in the past 20 years, it's got some nostalgia value . . .). But, it does seem out of such a large selection of music, they could change it up a bit more - classic rock radio seems to play about the same number of artists as top-40 radio for most of the time.
Here's another thing - how many records does Iron Maiden have to sell to get mainstream radio airplay? I've never heard them on classic rock radio, despite the fact that such stations play other metal bands like Sabbath, Ozzy, Metallica, etc. I'm pretty sure Maiden's sold more albums than many of the bands on classic rock radio, and songs like "Wasted Years" and "Running Free" aren't exactly too metal to fit in with the playlist. Just kind of odd - maybe it's because Maiden's always been a "metal band for metal heads", whereas Metallica, Sabbath, etc. have more of a crossover audience?
Similarly, how about some Dream Theater on classic rock radio? They're hardly an "obscure" band at this stage in their career, and they certainly have a classic-rock rooted sound.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:19:40 PM PST
Working Man says:
I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore, however I have been presently surprised the past couple of days. Typically, classic rock or rock radio plays the same songs from classic artists and most are the hits from 20, 30 and 40 years ago. I was surprised this week when a couple of days ago 100.5 in Atlanta played a song from Skynyrd's latest album and today they played a song off of Rush's latest. It's made me somewhat optimistic. In between I have heard a variety including Metallica, U2, Zeppelin and others. So, I need to give them more of a listen, maybe there is some hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:56:42 PM PST
Lauren says:
@Alex What do you think of WXRT? I listened to that when I was in Chicago a couple years back and found them to be fairly eclectic - certainly theirs wasn't a classic rock playlist. Wikipedia identifies them as Triple A, but I thought they rocked pretty nicely for a Triple A station.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 8:55:17 AM PST
Here in San Diego they have a Classic Rock station(KGB 101.5) that claims to have a Deep Cuts Hour but, when you listen to it they play the same songs they play all day every day. The so called hard rock/metal station (ROCK 105.3) also plays the same songs all day every day. I'm not sure when Danzig's Mother became Stairway To Heaven but, they play that song all the time. The only metal they play is Metallica and Ozzy. LAME!

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 10:22:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 10:27:16 AM PST
Does any serious classic rock fan still flip on classic rock radio? I don't, because anything I need to hear on there I most likely already own. I enjoy all genres of music to certain degrees so if I flip on a radio it satellite radio and I stay far away from the classic rock stations as possible. I'd rather hear tunes I'm not as familiar with in other formats.

One of my recent discoveries was the 40s Pop/Big Band channel on Sirius. You would be surprised at how many of those songs you're familiar with and how many have been adapted to rock songs over the years.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  May 24, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions