Customer Discussions > Classic Rock forum

Tell us about your first time...you ever heard your favorite artist

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2012 5:55:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 6:18:48 AM PDT
BigBadAzz says:
I'll start:

I was 14. I was having a sleepover at my house with a group of friends, and we were all in our sleeping bags in the living room. It was 7a.m. on a Sunday morning and the sun had just risen. One of my friends grabbed the cassette player from my room, and popped in an audio tape that he had brought with him. I was half awake when he pressed the "play" button, and I heard the first mindblowing strains of "Black Dog" blasting through the speakers.

That was the first time I ever heard Led Zeppelin, and I fell for them right away. I made sure I got myself a copy of Zeps IV & II from that friend of mine...

Now what's your story?...

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 8:14:48 AM PDT
I was at a Bellowhead concert last November and the support group came on and started playing. I can't remember which song they sang first. I was smitten especially with Callum, Dave, Seebs and Luke

ahab.

http://youtu.be/AXi5-vDrlHQ

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 8:32:14 AM PDT
I have no idea....I'm too darn old to remember back that far!!

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 9:21:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2012 9:31:53 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Zappa:
My friend gave me a cassette copy of Just Another Band From LA...laughed my butt off...went to buy it...couldn't find it at Wallach's Music City so I grabbed Waka Jawaka...BINGO!!!

The Who:
I was sick as a dog laying on a bed on a road trip to the moutains with friends.
"Won't Get Fooled Again" came on the radio...I was hooked!

The Grateful Dead:
Somebody brought "Workingman's Dead" to school...I heard "Uncle John's Band" for the first time.

Bruuuce:
I had heard someone say to get this new guys first record...I bought it...played it...and loved "Growin' Up"

NEIL:
I heard "Heart of Gold" and "Old Man" on the radio...bought Harvest...Ta Da!!!

Sabbath:
Heard Master of Reality...I was hooked at the opening cough...went out and bought the first three.

Dylan:
Don't remember.

Pink Floyd:
Everyone was raving about DSOTM so I went to the record store. Wish You Were Here just came out that day. I picked it up because of the blue wrapper on the cover. Played it on headphones...took it back twice because of a skip on Shine On...finally got a clean copy and loved it.

Deep Purple:
"Dat dat daa, dat dat da daa, dat dat daa da daa"

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 9:31:21 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
I was 8 or 9 and watching some music awards show on tv, maybe the American Music Awards or Grammy's, not sure. But for best rock song/performance, a band called Queen won. They weren't there to perform, so instead a clip was played. I'd never heard of them so was eager to see who these people thought was better than MY favorites of Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc. The beginning was interesting, but definitely not "rock" to me. It built nicely, but wasn't really doing it for me. Then... what's THIS? OPERA? These guys are in white tights singing... OPERA? Too funny. My brothers and I kinda smirked and chuckled a bit. WTF? Then the heavy part and... ohhhhhhhh. Ok, I get this. Wow. Definitely cool and definitely unlike anything I'd ever heard before.

My older brother bought the single the next day and not long after, the album. I hijacked both and Queen's been one of my very favorites ever since.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 5:35:29 PM PDT
Purple Haze-Jimi Hendrix Experience. I was 12 when I first it and I thought WOW! Finally some music I can get into. Still like this song.

Iron Man-Black Sabbath-I heard this when I was 12 and I dug how heavy it was. I only like the ending guitar part now.

Whole Lotta Love-Led Zeppelin-The spacy part in the middle blew my mind.

Day Of The Eagle-Robin Trower-Still one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums.

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 10:02:33 PM PDT
Sha57 says:
1965 Carlisle St, St Kilda - a little girl walks into a milkbar - the jukebox is playing "I am the little red rooster, too lazy to crow for day...
1967 Sunday- on dusk - ear to the radio - "Dirty old river, must you keep rolling, rolling into the night?"
1969 School dance - "In my white room with black curtains..
1970 Saturday - my own radio - first time switched on "You been learnin' baby, I've been yearnin'." So right, Mr Mcnary-mind blowing!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 11:23:07 PM PDT
BigBadAzz says:
Hey Sharon (or is it Shazza?)

Great to see another Aussie on these forums. :)
How are things in sunny Qld?

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 11:58:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 12:04:22 AM PDT
Sooz says:
I grew up in Northern California and had probably one of the coolest school bus drivers ever! Gary's bus had a good radio that he would crank up if we were all being pretty good. Most days we listened to the San Francisco AM station KFRC. They were a REAL 1960's rock station, playing deep cuts, album sides, and all the newest coolest artists along with rare live performances from all the great bay area venues.

I must have been 7 or 8 when I first heard Brown Eyed Girl on my way to the little country elementary school. The bus driver told all of us that this was the guy who sang Gloria (us kids thought the name of the song was spelled out G-L-O-R-I-A) with his former band. That's when I became a fan of Van Morrison's. A few years later, Gary went to Viet Nam. I went to school with his little brother and I knew he eventually made it back, but I never saw that cool guy with the long red hair and musical commentary again...

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:23:42 AM PDT
Sha57 says:
G'day BigBad

It's Sharon, Thanks - never that other name-:) I do lurk from time to time.
Got some clear blue sky today, enough to catch up on laundry - it's a wild life these days!!LOL I think this is the coldest winter we've had since we moved here!!

My neighbours were out today so I gave the old speakers a workout with some Jimi, Deep Purple and The Angels - "Marseilles"
Young friend asks "You STILL listening to that Folk Music???" "Well, it keeps this old sheila moving and I LOVE IT!!!"

What's shakin' down there?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 4:03:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 4:14:08 AM PDT
BigBadAzz says:
Hey Sharon (I won't call you that other name again) :)

It's been a pretty frosty winter down here in Melbourne too, with above average rainfall. Not wanting to make too grand an assumption, but did you move up to Qld originally from Melbourne? (The Carlisle St. mention sorta points towards this).

It's good ol' classic rock music like Zep, Queen, Rush, Pink Floyd & The Beatles - all my first loves - that warms me up and gets me through these cold winter times!

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:35:44 AM PDT
7 & 7 IS says:
I liberated my sister's 8-track of Love It to Death and played it continuously as backdrop music while I read Creepy, Eerie, Vampirella & EC comic books-and it grew into this monster.

Saw the "Hard Rain" TV Special in '76 with my dad & sister [the Dylan fan,who bailed 3 songs into it ] and that's all it took.I sat there and got my mind blown, been a Dylan freak ever since.

Liked the song on Alice's Special Forces album, found the original 7 & 7 Is/No. 14 and another one called My Little Red Book/A Message To Pretty and next thing I know I'm on this quest.

My cousin brought an 8-track of Animals over to my other cousin's house on my summer holiday and we smoked up all my Columbian and listened to his PF tape and it set me off quite nicely
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic Rock forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions