Customer Discussions > Classic TV forum

a question about Perry Mason on ioffer and sell.com

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 23, 2011 8:19:38 PM PDT
E. Myers says:
Hi,
Has anyone on here bought the Perry Mason set from any of the dealers selling it on ioffer and sell.com? If so, did you have any trouble with any of it?

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 7:10:57 PM PST
Beagleboy says:
There are numerous postings about other series and other sellers similar to the one you mention. Years ago I bought a Hawaii 5-O and Mission Impossible set from a seller in Florida. Neither series was on dvd from the studio at that point.

I got lucky (from what I've read) in that I actually got my dvds and they were of decent quality. Now by decent quality I mean that they were obviously taped off air and then burned to dvd-network logos and all. Commerials were edited out. that company disappeared within weeks of my purchase, as have many others you'll see posted about. There have been many postings about money sent and no dvds ever being shipped, In other cases they are of an unwatchable quality. Some, however are OK for what they are-off air recordings-bootlegs. There are no menus or extras obviously.

What I believe happens is that some of these operations get shut down by the studios or law enforcement-ever read that statement at the beginning of every dvd? Studios don't only go after teenagers and old ladies for copyright violations. So they tend to pop up for a while and then disappear. If you're feeling lucky and have the money to lose then give it a shot but know it is a risk. Maybe you'll have an acceptable experience like I did, maybe not.

I just don't get why the studios can't make everything available burn on demand at a reasonable price-all of this dvd money is pure gravy. They made back their investment on a lot of these shows decades ago.

Good luck, hope this has helped you.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 1:31:04 AM PST
Sidd says:
I have purchased about 30 tv series from those 2 sites over the years and have never had a problem. Once I had a disc that didn't play and emailed the seller and within a week a new one was sent. The quality is not up to the studio's releases (but in almost all cases close) and they are recorded from TV but for the price you definitely cannot beat them. I do not own the Perry Mason series but have ordered Hawaii Five-O, Mannix, Cannon, The Untouchables, Riptide, Father Dowling, and Dennis the Menace to name a few and get more enjoyment from watching these recorded off TV titles then not being able to see them at all. Plus, the price is so much better. Hope this helps.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 5:58:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 6:04:47 AM PST
I purchased Hawaii Five-O from sell.com as "Abandonment Insurance" (I've done this with several shows). It really ticks me off that sometimes a Studio or it's licensee will release one or two seasons of a certain show, then...crickets. :( (CHIPs, Early Edition, Green Acres, My Three Sons and Touched by an Angel are but only a few examples). In the case of Hawaii Five-O all the seasons were released, and as I pick up the official sets I destroy the "Boots", with ONE Exception. Season Two has a Missing Episode. It's called "Bored, she hung herself", and this episode was aired ONLY ONCE. Afterwards, some idiot tried to imitate a stunt seen on that episode, and died as a result. His Family sued CBS, and they agreed never to air this episode again, or offer it on Home Video. Somebody managed to get hold of a copy of this episode from the studio vault, and from this transferred it to DVD, and the set I purchased has this episode in it. The quality of this episode leaves a lot to be desired (It flickers like an old Super 8 Movie), but my TV set has a Small-Screen setting I call "Mill Creek Mode" (Just watch any of their Public Domain "Shovelware" DVD Sets and you'll know what I'm talking about). If a Video is low quality, I'll switch to the smaller screen, and watch it that way. Since the set I purchased from sell.com has that "Banned Episode" I have spared the disk it is on, and it rests in a Pouch I placed in the case with the official release of that season.

I think you all know my second Pet Peeve, the refusal to release certain TV Shows and Movies because something in those shows "Offend" members of a Minority. The Studios cower in fear from those groups because they fear reprisals, such as Boycotts if those shoes are aired on TV, or sold on Home Video. IMO, the "Political Correctness" movement has gone WAY too far. Because of these buffoons, those of us here in a Country that's supposed to Cherish Freedom are forced to do what people in Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia (As well as those who live in countries such as China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea or Saudi Arabia, among others are forced to do today), in order to see certain TV Shows and Movies, that is to find these shows on the "Black Market". For some people Bootleggers are a Menace, but to others they are a Godsend.

PS. Have you ever noticed this? If a show offends a Minority, it is taken off the air. But if a Minority Group makes a show that offends the MAJORITY, Those who complain are called Bigots or some other derogitory term, and because the Minority call what they do "Freedom of Expression", that show remains on the air. Holy Hypocricy Batman!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic TV forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jul 23, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions