Customer Discussions > Classic TV forum

Baby-Boomers,what were your favorite TV anthology series as kids?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2011 10:30:56 AM PST
Christine H. says:
Here are mine~
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Armstrong Circle Theatre
Boris Karloff's Thriller
Hallmark Hall of Fame
The Alcoa Hour
The 20th Century Fox Hour
The Twilight Zone
The United States Steel Hour
Walt Disney Presents: Annette
Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color
Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse

Thankfully, I have an AWESOME public library where I can borrow some of these on DVD collections. Watching them,sadly really illustrates what 'tripe' television of today is,and why I wouldn't even consider 'paying' to subscribe to satellite or cable. Don't care how many channels there are!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2011 2:28:55 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 4, 2012 11:10:41 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2011 6:10:41 AM PST
Christine H. says:
Re: Bill Mobley,
[quote]But are you aware that people don't like baby boomers that much anymore?
Yes We can all enter old age now with a bunch of haters.

Boy, I can do another post about my disgust at baby boomers (and, by the way, I dislike that term) who hate each other.

Also, don't use the term "Baby Boomers," use instead "people of a certain age."[/quote]

Nope sure have never experienced any of this,sorry that you have!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 6:52:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 4, 2012 11:11:00 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 6:40:42 PM PST
zorrothefox says:
I always enjoyed the Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday night as my favorite anthology series. I wish there were more DVD releases of the 60's tv series shows.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 9:33:51 AM PST
Well, after ritualistically chastising myself for being born between 1945 and 1960, I like to sit down to The Twilight Zone.
Hitchcock I always liked for Alf's intro and outro, and perversely enjoyed the more lurid episodes.
Outer Limits was one of my favorites, and much of it still holds up.
The Disney show was a permanent fixture, and if Ludwig Von Drake hosted, it made my week.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 11:23:05 AM PST
Zorro- Disney- with Guy Williams
Robin Hood with Richard Green
Star Trek - the original series with William T. Shatner and Leonard Nimoy
Bewitched with Elizabeth Montgomery
Jeannie with Barbara Eden

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 12:43:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2011 9:48:51 AM PST
Beaglemaster says:
From Bill Mobley.....
[quote] "Also, don't use the term "Baby Boomers," use instead "people of a certain age."[/quote]

Bill,

Since you're correcting us.....Please don't say, "I can't remember the names too good though"

Say instead, "I can't remember the names too well though"

Just a helpful grammar lesson we "Baby Boomers" learned from Miss Frances in Ding Dong School.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 4:28:34 AM PST
Toffersgirl says:
All of those previously listed, but my all time favorite (don't laugh) - The Brady Bunch.

I had less than a stellar childhood, having to deal with drugs and alcohol issues in the home. But Friday nights at 8 o'clock, I was a part of a sane, loving family. Which is why I will never consider it a cheesy show.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 8:36:44 AM PST
I hate to be a pedantic bore, but I'll point out that an 'anthology' is a collection of stories with no recurring characters or plot lines. Still, I wouldn't (and couldn't) deny anyone their sharing favorite shows, so, carry on, as you were.
I was older than 'kid' status when "Night Gallery" came out, and was a devoted fan - there are some genuinely creepy entries, and some real groaners.
I was as grown up as I'll get when "Tales of the Unexpected" came out - quite a nice showcase for Roald Dahl's short stories.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 2:08:04 AM PST
The Wonderful World of Color/Disney
The Twilight Zone (All Three Versions)
Night Gallery
The Outer Limits
The Name of the Game
Kraft Suspense Theatre
Death Valley Days
Boris Karloff's Thriller

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 8:57:36 AM PST
stevign says:
I don't remember any tv series about Anthology when growing up.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 3:05:28 PM PST
V. Cruz says:
Among all the others mentioned, I loved "The Great Adventure" on friday nights on CBS. It was a historical anthology series.
It premiered on 9/27/63 and lasted till 5/1/64 .
The series lasted for only 26 episodes, and showed, among others, stories on the Confederate submarine, the Hunley; the life of Harriet Tubman; the Battles of Lexington and Concord; the trial and hanging of Nathan Hale; the life of "Boss" Tweed; the death of Sitting Bull; the siege of Boonesborough; the capture of Jefferson Davis; the life and death of Wild Bill Hickok; and the Battle of New Orleans. (This paragraph taken from Wikipedia)
Most of the different stars that appeared on the episodes are no longer with us.
I was 12 years old at the time of its airing; 2 months later Kennedy would be assassinated and 5 mos later The Beatles would perform on the Ed Sullivan Show and change the whole music industry.
p.s.- I enjoy the Baby Boomer reference sure beats the X,Y generation.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 6:08:52 PM PST
GIGGLE BIZZ says:
I still can't get enough of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Car 54, Where Are you?
'

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:28:41 AM PST
DH says:
12 O'Clock High - A QM Production ....never missed an episode...hard to find now on dvd

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 7:48:20 AM PST
Pulpman says:
Secret Agent
Man From Uncle
Superman (George Reeves)
Prisoner
Lone Ranger
Combat
Burkes Law
This is just a few!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 11:29:22 AM PST
Have you tried ioffer.com or sell.com? I saw half a dozen offers for this series on the latter. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2012 4:23:24 PM PST
Likely bootleg versions, if you have never seen them on a commercial site such as this one.

There are many sites that offer (usually very poor) bootleg sets dubbed from VHS reruns or other methods.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012 4:12:55 PM PDT
Vincent already mentioned that an "anthology" is a collection of stories with no recurring characters or plotlines. Most TV series are not anthologies. Keeping that in mind, as a kid in the '60's I enjoyed "Twilight Zone", "Outer Limits", "Death Valley Days", Kraft Suspense Theater" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". As I got a little older (early 70's) I really liked "Police Story" and "Night "Gallery", all of these were more or less true anthologies.

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 6:41:50 AM PDT
I'm kind of surprised nobody's mentioned 'One Step Beyond' on this thread. Kind of, that is - I watched it but it came off a bit stodgy compared to, say, 'Twilight Zone'. There was, of course, that classic with the creepy 'clown in the reflection' - funny, the clown was the avenging good guy, but I'll bet he started the whole 'scary clown' vibe that's so big these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 9:15:48 AM PDT
stevign says:
ONE STEP BEYOOOOOOOND................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvoEmVXhrfQ&feature=player_embedded

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 6:41:48 AM PDT
I'm in the generation after that really... and my parents never minded the term, but I absolutely abhor the "X" Generation. I always considered myself the "2nd Baby Boomer" generation. My mom always told me that I was born in the wrong era. I LOVED watching all the reruns of the older shows (as a KID!) Love the original Perry Mason, Andy Griffith, I Dream of Jeanie, Bewitched, The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock (ended up playing the March of the Marionette on tuba in college, great piece), Black and white Gilligan's Island, Hazel (well that was more 60's- 70's), Star Trek, love some of Andy Rooney's old movies, the older Disney movies, and a bunch other shows I just can put a name to right now... I miss TV before the "sex age"(prior to the 70's) and before lewdness on TV has become a norm. Nothing can beat a good old fashioned mystery show though. Guess that's why I like those campy mystery movies like Clue and Private Eyes too! :P I'm stuck between eras, and I'm not....'quite' 40. ;)

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 9:23:26 AM PDT
gembb52 says:
I have antenna tv..yes i know...well it is what it is..i feel as if i have not left 1954-1975. However, that may be a good thing based on what is available now on tv..

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2012 11:51:25 AM PDT
stevign says:
However, that may be a good thing based on what is available now on tv.."

I hate to burst your bubble but fortunately it isn't.

Posted on Apr 8, 2012 7:26:51 PM PDT
All anthology shows mentioned were great. I'd like to add "Love, American Style" to the list of favorites.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic TV forum (89 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic TV forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Feb 6, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions