Customer Discussions > Classic TV forum

Classic Westerns: TV Shows & Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2011 10:19:19 PM PDT
Hi you all,
A while back, I did have a discussion with the same topic, but under a different title and was located at TV Shows Community. So I decided to close that particular one down with not too much action and came up with a new title; hopefully this discussion will have better luck.
I grew up watching westerns on tv on Saturdays: The Roy Rogers Show, Sky King, My Friiend Flicka, Fury, The Lone Ranger, The the Adventures of Rin-Tin-Tin.
And the most recent westerns on tv are now considered classics, how strange. Doeesn't even seem possible, does it or phamtom the idea: how can that be?
And the cowboy movie stars that we use to love, is so strange, they're not around anymore. And to tell you the truth, it is John Wayne who I really miss the most. Will there be anyone like him again? Such a force of a man on the movie-screen. And Fess Parker as Daniel Boone or Davey Crocket, who will play those parts again. Fess Parker, he just seemed to have that right kind of face to play those two roles.
And on the flip-side/TV, I really miss Dan Blocker & Lorne Greene, not to mention Micheal Landon; all 3 taken from us way too soon.
Well, this is it for now. I am sure you movie & tv western fans will have lots to say. It will be fun going down memory lane.

Posted on Jul 23, 2011 8:33:35 PM PDT
E. Myers says:
Hi Patricia,
I always loved the TV westerns and the B/W b-western movies. And because
of it, I always loved western clothes, boots, and guns (still do). :)
I guess I liked most of the TV westerns but my favorites were the Lone Ranger (on radio too), Annie Oakley, Sky King, and the Cisco Kid and Pancho.
I guess my favorite western movie stars were Lash LaRue, Roy Rogers, Wild Bill Elliott, and Hoppy and Gene too. My favorite of the sidekicks was Gabby Hayes.
If I had known then that some day I'd have my own copies of those shows to watch any time I wanted to, I'd have been ecstatic. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2011 10:04:14 PM PDT
Yes, I remeber Gabby Hayes. He did some side-kicking with Roy Rogers & saw him in some films w/John Wayne. He was quiet the character.
I know what you mean about westerns: because of my love of horses today, I owe a big 'thank you' to Roy Rogers. Awesome lookin' horse, that Trigger. How did he get that horse to look so beautiful?
Do you remember the tv series Tombstone Territory?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 12:39:34 PM PDT
E. Myers says:
Gabby played with some of the others too. I especially liked him in the Bill Elliott movies. I had some friends back then who's father reminded me and Mother of Gabby. :)
I like horses too and always wanted one but my family couldn't afford one and neither can I. :(
No, I've heard of it in recent years but I don't remember ever seeing it. That must have been one that my family and I didn't watch, but I don't know why not (I was in jr. high then). Besides the other ones I mentioned, we watched Gunsmoke, Maverick, Have Gun Will Travel, Jim Bowie, Rawhide, and others too, including Bonanza but I never cared much for that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2011 9:45:39 PM PDT
Not too long ago, came across Tombstone Territory; look it up.
You didn't like Bonanza? Oh, that was one of my favorites. Loved Lorne Greene & Dan Blocker; they were the best of the four. Never was too big on Pernnel Roberts. With the series, he had an attitude problem; really didn't want to be a part of the cast. I think the only reason he got the part is he was friends of Lorne Greene, at least that what I heard, but I could be wrong. Either way, if he was that unhappy, they should have cut him loose & found someone else to play the part of Adam Cartwright.
Jim Bowie I never heard of, but I was a fan of Daniel Boone & Wagon Train, but only w/Ward Bond; not much of a John McIntire fan.
Guess this will do for now; til later.

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 9:12:28 AM PDT
Tombstone Territory played here in the Cleveland area about 15 years ago (that's a guess) when Channel 55 went into business. It fit well with their original philosophy (it was originally owned by televangelist Ernest Angley and showed a lot of rare, older shows with the religious fare). Unfortunately, since they became the local CW affiliate, they've been much less daring with their programming.

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 9:14:03 AM PDT
If you're interested, Patricia, you could probably get an inexpensive DVD of The Adventures of Jim Bowie at a dollar store like Dollar Tree...they've had 'em in the past for about a buck or so.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 7:18:33 PM PST
Joan Stewart says:
I liked most all of the tv Westerns...of course I began watching most of them in the 70's my faves included Bonanza, Rawhide, High Chapparal, Gunsmoke, the Wild Wild West...loved that one particuliarly cuz it was like the James Bond of the west with Robert Conrad as the lead and his sidekick Ártemis"in the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 4:05:01 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 3:46:59 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 1:29:20 AM PST
The entire Alias Smith and Jones series is available on DVD from Timeless Media Group.

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 2:28:04 AM PST
S. M Thiel says:
MAVERICK is an excellent series. Very Funny/amusing at times.
James Garnes was perfect as Bret and Jack Kelly was good as Bart.
Too bad its NOT on DVD. <MAD> <SAD>

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 7:13:57 PM PST
It's NOT? I could have sworn that at least the first season was available...

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 5:37:05 PM PST
I loved the 1966-67 series "The Road West" when I was a child. I wish I could buy it on DVD.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 7:14:30 PM PST
Timeless Media Group should put out "Road West"...they've put out almost every Revue/Universal Western series except that one.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 6:57:52 PM PST
Autumn M. says:
Don't forget "The Rifleman". I think that's the best Western show ever made. And I loved Pernell Roberts as Adam Cartwright.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 6:59:15 AM PST
J. Dean says:
El Dorado, with John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, and James Caan. There were two other JW movies that resembled it (one being Rio Bravo, the other I cannot recall the title), but James Caan's "Mississippi" character is a good and memorable one.

Plus... I LOVE that shotgun!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 5:09:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 5:16:47 AM PST
Anybody remember Cimarron Strip? It starred Stuart Whitman as Jim Crown, Marshall of Cimarron City. It ran for one season of 23 feature length episodes in the late sixties. It had it's humorous moments, usually provided by the whisky loving deputy McGregor, but was fundamentally dark, usually with a downbeat ending as Jim, fair but tough, was forced to gun down somebody who wasn't really bad. Its out on DVD - treat yourself!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 6:24:43 AM PST
Who put Cimarron Strip on DVD? I hadn't heard anything about it coming out!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 6:37:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 6:41:50 AM PST
Oops! Sorry, Richard (glad you finally got that one-armed man, by the way!), I'm in the UK and they've all been released on the Pegasus label. These are region 2 unfortunately (unless you have a multi-region player). Incredibly, there DOESN'T seem to be a US release, but an Australian company called Flashback Entertainment have region 0 editions, which are probably your best bet.

Good hunting!

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 3:38:37 PM PST
Big Valley was a good one. Peter Breck played Nick barkley. I also discovered an earlier show he was in. B&W "The Black Saddle". Peter played Clay Culhane, an ex-gunslinger turned lawyer. Great show but short lived. Russell Johnson from Gilligans Island played the Marshall. Found it on Sell.com. Two more excellent earlier shows were Wyatt Earp with Hugh O"Brien and Lawman with John Russell.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 2:01:30 PM PST
Cimarron Strip recently ran on Encore western for about 3 years on Saturdays. They took it off at the end of 2011

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 2:06:19 PM PST
The following Westerns run currently (commercial free) on the Encore Western Channel: Rawhide, Laredo, Lawman, Have Gun Will Travel, Gunsmoke, Marshall Dillon (30-minute Gunsmoke episodes) and Wagon Train

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2012 7:01:20 PM PST
Bat Masterson and The Rifleman have also ran on Encore.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 4:39:56 AM PST
I was fond of Shane, the spin off series from the classic Alan Ladd movie. It starred David Carradine. There were only about 17 or so episodes. I think it was only ever screened once here in the UK, in the 80s. It was memorable for trying hard to make it's villian, Rufe Riker, sympathetic and a man of some personal honour, sometimes siding with Shane. It would be nice to see it on DVD.

Posted on Mar 2, 2012 12:39:31 AM PST
DH says:
The Guns of Will Sonnet-- only aired for 2 seasons but was great..."No brag just fact"
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic TV forum (89 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic TV forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions