Customer Discussions > Classic TV forum

The New Dick Van Dyke Show

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2009 2:45:35 PM PDT
"The New Dick Van Dyke Show", of course featured the series namesake, along with Hope Lange as his wife. The series was initially set in Arizona, but during its third and final season on CBS (1973-74) the series moved to Hollywood; and it was the third season which featured some of the best episodes in the series. "The New Dick Van Dyke Show" never attained the level of excellence of the original Dick Van Dyke Show, but few shows have. Dick Van Dyke's talent for physical comedy is unmatched. Still, the brilliance of his series was that the writers were careful to exploit his comedic skills by crafting intelligent scripts.

Posted on May 23, 2009 9:56:16 AM PDT
I haven't seen this show in many years but I remember liking it pretty well anyway. Dick is pretty much great in anything he appears in.

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 7:38:24 AM PDT
J. Rader says:
Sure wish it would come out on dvd!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 3:01:40 AM PDT
Gregory - Very well put! I wish Dick's second sitcom would come out on DVD!

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 9:00:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 9:02:00 AM PDT
Joey says:
I remember a hilarious episode where Dick rides a motorbike out into the desert....then it packs up !!

Dick makes it to an old line cabin and does virtually a one man show from there working out how he can get back to civilisation....

Dick spots an old kerosine lamp and carefully calculates if he utilises the oil as fuel for his bike he can get....three feet !

Meanwhile Hope Lange has to try to break the news to their small daughter that Daddy might be a bit late home because....

'Daddy's lost in the Desert isn't he ?' the little girl immediately quips !

The New DVD Show was apparently a flop (compared to the original ) and it's relative failure apparently contributed to Dick's health problems (shame !) - it was only briefly screened in Britain but every episode I ever saw was great !

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 3:10:38 AM PDT
Benny Katz says:
There are still a lot of shows that have yet to be released on DVD. I'm hoping they start digging into the vaults and releasing more of it! For fans of Dick though you might also want to check out a movie he made for Disney called Lt Robin Crusoe USN (I think). It hasn't been released on blu-ray yet but it was hilarious!

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 2:17:49 AM PDT
D. Geist says:
I thought about the show today,and many times in the past. I live near blessed Dick who just got married and is 96,even appearing in Westwood/l.a near ucla onstage recently in something.
At the mary poppins live play he snuck into the cast onstage..i look forward to julie andrews bio book two to see what these recent decades have been for her youthful ness and now singleness.....hmm robin crusoe was a dear classique..Disney might be blessed w more money if they stopped appealing to adults,or at least keep these disney adult/sexy unappealing to children on another label.
Carl Reiner quit cbs when the show where the kids catch dick and hope doing the wild thing as they open the door.....nothing was revealed but cbs said it would not air the show. carl got so mad and i am afraid his direction made a difference ..Still Dick reigned supreme...just as Andy Griffith did with his immediate switch to Cbs without any vacation,doing Headmaster, a sitcom. Perhaps if he had waited folk would not have been looking for Barney at the new locale for former Andy...
ps..i thought it was disgusting how liberals had opie make a commercial for obama in 08 with ole Andy..Andy is like the flag, he stands for all...not a liberal candidate with a background anti american full of drugs,just like his Dad who scattered illegitamite kids behind in seven ? different countries incl . some who are living the vida loca here now as illegal obam aliens who got on our welfare rolls for no reason at all but saying they were afraid to go home agin... and now two million scream to demand the Dream Act and its benefits for outright illegals and vote for obama.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 8:25:41 AM PDT
First of all, Dick Van Dyke was born in 1925, so he's hardly 96. Secondly, liberals didn't get "Opie" to do anything. If you know anything about actor/director Ron Howard, he has been a champion of liberal ideas for many years long before our wonderful President, Barack Obama ever ran for office. Finally, Andy Griffith's (who just passed away this morning), impeccable portrayal of Sheriff Andy Taylor in the small town of Mayberry, exuded warmth, compassion, reason, balance, and intelligence. I truly wish these were the hallmarks of today's Republican party.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 6:28:27 PM PDT
Alan Glick says:
Your "wonderful President" will go down in history as a disgraced, America-hating racist, while the Republican Party will shine when compared to the party that embraces every evil left wing dictator to crawl out from under a rock.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 9:38:16 AM PDT
Benny Katz says:
Can't you morons leave politics out of anything? Andy Griffith was an American Icon who entertained multiple generations and millions of people! Why can't you just leave it to that! The man is dead. How about giving him some respect? If you have to rant your political diatribes do it elsewhere!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 5:21:10 AM PDT
raymacfla says:
"Wonderful President"??? You must live in la la land! They coaxed a senile old man into doing a commercial and it tarnished his reputation. It made most of us sick. It is easy to be a liberal when you "Tax and Spend" the Middle Class into the poor house while the Hampton Liberals dine on caviar and sip Champagne while telling other rich jerks how they are morally superior.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 5:24:18 AM PDT
raymacfla says:
If he was a true icon, he wouldn't have done it, and he would have done his homework had he had any marbles left anyway. You may be perfectly fine in your complacency, but we have a real problem in the White house and it is coming up on the cleaning season!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 5:27:40 AM PDT
raymacfla says:
He is 86 and married his 40 year old Makeup artist. Not that a 46 year age difference isn't a bit creepy, mind you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic TV forum (90 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic TV forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  May 16, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions