Customer Discussions > Classic TV forum

Classic Westerns: TV Shows & Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 50 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 4, 2012 9:05:39 PM PST
how about,dick powell"s. zane grey theater? great westerns all of them, and a rare chance to see so many up and coming super star actors.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 9:08:50 PM PST
how about robert taylor's the detectives & boris karloff's thriller

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 8:11:03 PM PST
Poocher says:
What about season box sets for Trackdown, starring Robert Culp as Texas Ranger Hobie Gilman?
(From the late 1950's) Western

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 8:15:31 PM PST
Poocher says:
Bonanza was the best family western of all time. (14 seasons)
Gunsmoke was also good. (20 seasons)
The Rifleman had the best theme music.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 8:20:36 PM PST
Poocher says:
Unforgiven is one of the purest western films ever. Excellent.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 7:34:54 PM PST
Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater...the first season is available from VCI...the same company has also released Burke's Law and Honey West on DVD as well.

Thriller with Boris Karloff...the entire series is available in a 14-disc-set from Image Entertainment, replete with extras.
Your reply to Richard Kimble's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 11:32:55 PM PDT
Don't forget cheyenne, played by clnt walker. one of my favorite shows. also just rediscovered gene autry on encore westerns, talk about an icon.
also on starz encore westerns they are showing the the very first half hour episodes of gunsmoke.........falling in love with miss kitty all over again!!
well time to mosey on down to the local watering hole and have some firewater.............or maybe a good cup of joe

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 2:14:16 PM PDT
I was looking at the History of THE RIFLEMAN, and I found out it was spun off from another series called DICK POWELL'S ZANE GREY THEATRE. Five other shows were also spun off this Series, they were:

TRACKDOWN - which spun off WANTED: DEAD OR ALIVE

JOHNNY RINGO

BLACK SADDLE

STAGECOACH WEST

THE WESTERNER

THE RIFLEMAN also had a Spin-Off: LAW OF THE PLAINSMAN.

The First Season of Zane Grey Theatre is Available on DVD from VCI Entertainment, Mill Creek has Wanted: Dead or Alive on DVD.

As for the others, check with ioffer.com or sell.com <G>

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 7:02:45 PM PDT
Robert Culp mentioned that all the episodes of Zane Grey Theater were intended to be pilots...of course, one of them was the pilot for his Trackdown series ("Badge of Honor").

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 3:19:56 PM PDT
Jim Charles says:
My favourites Cheyenne, Laramie, Wells Fargo. My wish to be released Bronco. I grew up with the TV Western in UK, can recall cuddling into Dads big shoulder with my toy .45, helping the Hero get the bad guy. [somrtimes before he did.]
Now I have most of the series on DVD, and an Mp3 Walkman full of Old Time Radio shows Gunsmoke, Have Gun, Six Shooter etc, wish Radio could go back to those days. I am of the same mind that Westerns couldn't be done right without the "Old Timers' but I tend to think of the Character actors like Edgar Buchanan, Arthur Hunnicut Jack Elam, Thomas Armstrong etc, where are they today?
Anyway, Thats my two cents, See you down the line.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 3:37:03 PM PDT
In today's "Politically Correct" World any Western made today would HAVE to weave a Political "Sermon" in the Episode, and they just wouldn't be the same. Fortunately A LOT of the "Old School" Westerns are becoming available on DVD. TIMELESS has a whole bunch of them available on DVD including:

Alias Smith and Jones

Branded

The Deputy

Frontier Circus

The Guns of Will Sonnett

Larado

The Oregon Trail

The Overland Trail

The Tall Man

The Texan

Whispering Smith

Wide Country

These and others can be "Rustled Up" for as little as $15.00 for the full series, so saddle up your Horses and mosey on over to the Bargain Bins of your local Video Store, or to your friendly Computer Terminal, and "Git Em while the Gittin's Good".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 10:24:26 AM PDT
S. Marrujo says:
Was that the one with George Montgomery, or was that one "Cimmaron City?" ehh.....I think Cimmaron Strip was with Stuart Whitman?

Loved Tombstone Territory (Pat Conway - grandson (?) of Francis X. Bushman, I think). Very cool. All time favorite would be a toss-up between Rawhide and Maverick. Since they were very different from each other, I suppose I could say "both." Lost interest in Bonanza when Pernell Roberts left. And ooh.. Laramie. Really. Hoagie Carmichael? ROFLOL

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 8:21:43 PM PDT
Cimarron City was with George Montgomery...the entire series is on DVD via Timeless Media Group. Cimarron Strip starred Stuart Whitman.

Hoagy Carmichael was cool, but I doubt I could buy him in a role in a Western...I saw Laramie once or twice, but don't remember if he was in the ones I saw.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 9:36:17 PM PDT
Martha Wahl says:
I loved the virginian too. Also I liked wagon train and gunsmoke!

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 6:50:01 AM PDT
David says:
Death Valley Days was another great series.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 8:40:14 PM PDT
The other John Wayne movie to escaped you is Rio Lob.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 9:03:16 PM PDT
There are a lot of Pernell Roberts fans out there, but I bet half of them didn't realize he was sort of a problem child while doing the Bonanza series. One big reason why he was hired for the part as Adam Cartwright is he and Lorne Greene were friends.
I think they could have found someone nice and clean-cut just like Pernell Roberts, if they had, they could've avoided a lot of so-called grief.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 12:26:06 AM PDT
Pernell was a Shakespearean 'act-OR' and, as such, looked down his nose at the scripts for Bonanza. When he first announced his intention to leave, Greene told him, 'Don't be a damned fool, Pernell...take the money!'. Roberts chose to ignore that advice and leave the show, and it was a good year and a half before he got another TV gig, guest-starring in, what else...another Western series!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 2:40:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 2:45:11 AM PDT
I just bought Season 1 of Maverick, on DVD.Excellent!

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 2:51:03 AM PDT
My favorite westerns are "The Rifleman","Maverick",";Wagon Train","Zane Grey theater" and "Death Valley Days".But don`t kid yourself, most of those released from the mid-50`s -late 60`s were great!As a little kid, I never appreciated "The Virginian" or "Tales of Wells Fargo", as I do now seeing them in my Middle-age.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:22:02 AM PDT
Pulpman says:
To me the westerns that I most admired are John Wayne's, Searchers, Hondo, and True Grit. I enjoy all his westerns but feel these are worth there place in cinema history.
Dean Martin did some fine westerns and 2 of them with the Duke. Rio Bravo and the Sons of Katie Elder.
Clint Eastwood made Unforgiven a true land mark western. His westerns in the 60s and 70s are good to view also. I really enjoy the Man with No Name Triology. Even though in the original Italian vesions his character does have names.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 1:15:07 PM PDT
Yes, I sure do remember Cimarron Strip. I loved it. Talking about remembering... do you remember Sugarfoot and The Lawman?

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 9:27:15 AM PDT
Autumn M. says:
To me "The Rifleman" was the best Western series of all time. I also like "Have Gun-Will Travel" with Richard Boone (who's related to Daniel Boone!). I also like "The Wild Wild West" because it was the forerunner to the steampunk/sci-fi western genre. As for "Bonanza", the reason Pernell Roberts got fed up with the show was because he was tired of playing a thirty-something year old man still living with his father and having to answer to him like an adolescent (Lorne Greene was only 13 years older than Roberts). I like "Bonanza", but one thing about the show that always irked me was the fact that every girl the Cartwright brothers fell in love with either got killed or simply left. This was because creator David Dutort said that "Bonanza" should be "a show about fathers and sons-not mothers and daughters." He felt that on TV men were too beholden to women (huh?). I wished that the Cartwright boys got married and had kids so that they could evolve as characters. So I'm a little sympathetic to Pernell Roberts' complaints. Even Michael Landon got difficult during the last five years of the show.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 2:15:15 PM PDT
Yes, I do agree as to what you're saying about Bonanza & Adam/Pernell Roberts.
If they had storyline more family oriented----like The Virginian TV Series, Pernell Roberts wouldn't of been so whinney.
The three sons really didn't get a chance to really to settle down, except for Little Joe, but even with that, that marriage ended sadly; this was towards the end of the series.
And as sad it Dan Blocker's passing was, they should have found another actor simuliar to Dan to keep the role of Hoss 'alive'. And they most certainly could have found someone to play the part of Adam. And don't forget that Little Joe has a half brother; this brother could have been re-introduced and brought into the family fold. Also, Clay could've returned.
And I always enjoyed Candy.
The series could have used a whole line of different writers to improve the show.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 7:18:57 PM PDT
Autumn M. says:
Even if you didn't care for Pernell Roberts' behavior on "Bonanza" you should see him in an excellent, little known low-budget film called "Ride Lonesome" which was released the same year he was cast in the TV series. It also stars Randolph Scott as the main character, Karen Steele, James Coburn in his first movie role and Lee Van Cleef as the main villain. I also recently saw another western gem, released by the Criterion Collection, called "The Furies"; a rare film noir/western crossover with Barbara Stanwyck as a daughter out for vengeance against her father played by the ever delightful Walter Huston.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic TV forum (90 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic TV forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions