Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Classic TV forum

77 sunset strip

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2007 2:31:32 PM PST
I've been waiting years and suffering through reruns on American Life TV (now cancelled). Sure would like to get all of the spin-offs too (Bourbon Street Beat, Hawaiin Eye, Surfside Six)! Their was also a great show called Hong Kong on ABC in the same time slot as Wagon Train. Of course Hong Kong was cancelled because it couldn't beat WT.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 6:48:47 PM PDT
G. Stuart says:
I thought I was the only one who really wanted this show and Hawaiin Eye. I have been waiting and hoping that they would be released. It is so strange that shows much less popular or well made have been released and these remain without any episodes available. I wonder who owns the rights to these shows and why they don't do something about releasing them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008 5:08:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2009 1:27:18 PM PDT
George, Not sure about "Hong Kong," but the rights to "77 Sunset Strip," "Bourbon Street Beat," "Hawaiian Eye," and "Surfside Six" are all owned by Warner Brothers. Unfortunately, Warner has an almost miserable record of releasing older television shows from the 1950s and 1960s. They got off to a good start several years ago with the release of all six seasons of "The Adventures of Superman," then pretty much fizzled. If my memory serves me correct, here's the sum total of Warner's 1950s/1960s TV-on-DVD output:

Adventures of Superman: All 6 seasons (complete)
F-Troop: Two seasons (complete) plus "Best of" release
Cheyenne: Season 1 plus "Best of" release
Maverick: "Best of" release
Gilligan's Island: Three seasons (complete)

That's it for Warner's pre-1970 TV-on-DVD releases. As good as Warner's movie division is, their television division is pretty bad when it comes to vintage television shows on DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 3:00:01 PM PDT
For those of us who got AmericanLife (aka GoodLife and Nostalgia) in tiny 6-month spurts over the last 10 years, a little was not enough. The shows all hold up extremely well, with (oddly) SurfSide 6 having the best stories, though I adore 77 and Hawaiian Eye. They all look gorgeous too. When WB celebrated its 50th anniversary of being in television, did they put out 50-year-old shows on DVD? Nope!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2008 4:01:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2009 1:24:54 PM PDT
Sylvia, your comment about Warner not releasing any 50 year-old shows for their 50th anniversary is not quite true. They did release a sampler (3 episodes) of the western series "Cheyenne" which also led to a season 1 release of that show. They also issued a three episode sampler for "Maverick." But, yes, they have neglected the Warner detective shows completely and, generally speaking, have an extremely limited track record when it comes to releasing vintage television shows pre-1970. "The Adventures of Superman" would probably be considered their best vintage release as they have released the series in its entirety.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2008 4:41:10 PM PDT
T the K says:
Reading these posts reminds me that I still have an old LP called, "Hawaiian Eye." It features background music from the series plus vocals by Robert Conrad, Connie Stevens and Poncie Ponce. I also have "We Wish you a Merry Christmas" with Christmas favorites sung by Warner Bros. stars. Many stars are from the western series, but they also include Robert Conrad, Efrem Zimbalist, Jr., Edd Byrnes and Poncie Ponce. Do any of you remember these LPs? Thank you for reminding me about them!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2008 8:18:16 PM PST
Bill McCown says:
Oh darn, do I remember?!?!?!?!? And I thought that this LP was merely a fantasy, some imagined episode from the vaults of childhood, akin to some people's alien abductions. I have a feeling that if you put this music up on a site for downloading, no one from the Industry would bother to hassle you. And you might do us nostalgia fans a good turn.

Posted on Aug 11, 2009 1:43:57 AM PDT
Solo says:
Hi all the Hawaiian eye lp is now on cd and check amazon for the cd. or try ioffer, ebay also i have seen the Hawaiian eye cd.
Now to business. Warners has done squat. Samplers = zero. Hawaiian eye, Boubon sreet beat, 77 Sunset strip and Surfside 6 should be all released together there is no reason not to. Fans need to get together.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2009 9:58:24 AM PDT
Orionboc says:
Warners' record is indeed miserable compared to, say, Paramount---but as bad as it has been, it will probably get worse and we may never see the release of 'Sunset Strip', 'Hawaiian Eye', et al, because of the decline in the consumer market.

For the past 18 months, since the economy has gone completely sour, the response of studios and copywrite owners for both older AND more recent shows has been to dramatically increase the price (oh, THAT will stimulate sales). Has anyone seen the list price of the 2008-2009 season of CSI?? $98.

There have been innumerable complaints about the half-season sets of 'Perry Mason' and the $50 list price of a half season. The studios are pricing themselves out of business "because" overall sales dipped. Their reaction is causing sales to drop further, and as a result, they are becoming MORE cautious on continuing releases of further seasons of TV shows that have not sold as well as expected AND both cancelling plans for release of other shows AND not even planning on releasing others, despite clear consumer demand.

This is retrenchment at its best, and the longer time goes on without a commitment to release 'Strip', "Eye' and others, the slim chance that it MIGHT have been done gets slimmer and slimmer and slimmer.

At this point, ONE way it MIGHT happen is if the studios offer each season at around $150, collect thousands of pre-paid pre-orders FIRST and THEN go into production---meaning a wait of a year or more until delivery of what you've paid for.

Another way (and this is a bit more likely) is if technology is improved to the point where episodes of shows can be offered for sale over the internet, downloadable and transferrable to DVD at high enough quality----so people can purchase what they want at say $1-$2 per episode. There would be no overhead production costs for the studios, no extras, etc., but the series' COULD be made available that way.

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 9:37:40 AM PDT
Jay says:
Warner Brothers Release Hawaiian eye, Surfside 6 and 77 Sunset Strip on DVD. We want these in season sets or in a complete series.

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 7:45:37 AM PDT
The only hope for a release now would be through the Warner Archive MOD service.

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 12:26:04 AM PDT
Or maybe Warners could make a deal with Shout! Factory to release those series to DVD...

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 12:10:57 PM PDT
I remember "77 Sunset Strip" when I was 15 years old in 1959, went and bought
the "soundtrack" LP out of my allowance, Loved that album (still do), and also
that LP was released on CD a few years ago. There are some jazzy cocktail piano
numbers on that album, and I found out later the pianist was Buddy Cole, who had
other LPS on the WB label. It is still great music. Still hoping the show will surface
again.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 1:20:50 PM PDT
T the K says:
I remember the same album. As I recall, the cover picture is of Kookie leaning against a car! I still have the "Hawaiian Eye" LP. I'm going to look for the "77 Sunset Strip" CD. Thanks for the update.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 8:33:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 8:34:00 AM PDT
I just have to LAUGH at these Studios. They refuse to release DVDs of their Classic TV Shows, then wonder why piracy is so rampant. The answer is simple, If someone wants a product bad enough, and whoever is in charge of that product refuses to sell it, that person will simply go "Somewhere Else" to get it. Last year the Owner of Home Theatre Forum (www.hometheatreforum.com), who FORBIDS the posting of Bootleg Subjects on his site said himself the following about the 1966 BATMAN TV Series:

"The Bootleg Market is Benefiting, there are sets TV Series taken directly from Studio Masters on the Market. ... This is what ultamately happens when shows as popular as this are held up in Legal Disputes and are withheld from the consumer."

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 1:19:44 PM PDT
I had two older sisters who had the single "Kookie lend me your comb"... played by Edward Byrnes wasnt it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2012 5:15:51 PM PDT
Charlene, you are so right that was Edd Byrnes on that song. The other singer on the song was Connie Stevens.
Youtube has the video.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 6:00:34 PM PDT
I'm with you on this, I've been waiting impatiently for them to be released. How do we put the pressure on?
mg.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 7:10:44 AM PDT
Ray in CT says:
Same here. Don't understand it either. I have the LP I also that I bought from my allowance, being a youngster when this was all new. HE was always my favorite, but watched all the Warner detectives series. They were somewhat more sophisticated for their time than the other shows of the period. Captured some from ALN, but that seemed to come to a quick halt, after about one season or so.
Would be great to see them professionally captured again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 2:15:35 PM PDT
Unfortunately for The Adventures of Superman, they used edited copies.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2016 1:24:40 PM PST
radio62 says:
I have been waiting for Warner Brothers to release 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye two of the best TV Shows ever produced. I only wish if I could contact American Life TV. I have tried. I have written to Warner Brothers who made both and they say there is royalty problems with the background music played on these shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2016 1:11:30 PM PST
wc1001 says:
Maria, I also was very disappointed when these fun shows went off the air and cannot be found anywhere on ANY video format. I just keep emailing WB to bug them and see if that will help. Unfortunately, these big wigs don't always listen....but I still try. Good luck and here's hoping!

Posted on Apr 15, 2016 3:57:26 PM PDT
willgee says:
Warner Brothers has now released all four seasons of "LAWMAN" and the one season of the excellent and popular-but-cancelled series THE DAKOTAS on DVD. Several seasons of MAVERICK, SUGARFOOT, and BRONCO have also been released.
Lawman: Season 1
Lawman: The Complete Second Season
Lawman: Season 3
Lawman: Season 4

Dakotas, The: The Complete Series

Bronco: The Complete First Season (1958)

Bronco: Season Two
Sugarfoot: The Complete First Season
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classic TV forum (90 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classic TV forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 15, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions