Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

However much I may love this site...

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 2:14:46 PM PST
Auntie Lynn says:
...it's getting boring. What did you have for breakfast today (and do not say Obama's dog...) and what are you wearing right now...???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:16:11 PM PST
John Ruggeri says:
Auntie Lynn says:

...it's getting boring. What did you have for breakfast today (and do not say Obama's dog...) and what are you wearing right now...???
================
As it is said in "La Boheme"
"Addio senza rancor"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:26:11 PM PST
KenOC says:
Auntie Lynn, you're right. It's getting boring. Why? Because you do nothing to spice it up. Why should others be forced to do the heavy lifting?

So may I suggest, nay, humbly request, that you start a new thread on John Cage, or perhaps atonal music in general?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 2:33:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 3:02:45 PM PST
Larkinfield says:
It's the lull time before tomorrow's new moon. ;)

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 3:22:21 PM PST
Anonymouse says:
Shhhhh. Tryin' to get some sleep over here, if you don't mind.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:15:14 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 13, 2012 9:00:33 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:01:40 PM PST
HB says:
If this forum is boring, what about all the other boring things that go on? For example, all the outrageously dumb talk shows on TV. The shows are a total waste of time but most of them have studio audiences that absolutely love this nonsense. What about all the detective and medical shows on TV? Most of them have as much originality as the pine trees you see when driving on the interstate. And what about all the current movies based on comic characters. They are spectacular but in the end they are boring.

But the most boring thing in life is jury duty, especially in the civil courts. First you wait in a large room wondering if they will ever call you. Then you sit through something called voir dire where the attorneys try to decide if you are competent enough to serve and hopefully agree with them. Finally, you might have to sit through a trial and real trials are nothing like "Law and Order". They are boring.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:29:00 PM PST
I smoked my breakfast, and I'm wearing the same clothes I wore three days ago.

My question for Auntie Lynn: What do you do for excitement?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:17:30 PM PST
Anonymouse says:
Well, let's get serious here for a second. (No longer. Not even I could do it for longer than a second.)

You have a lot of disruptive posters who could never let pass an opportunity to pounce on anyone with anything thoughtful or substantive to say about music. You have the intelligent posters spending less and less time on the site. For why would they not? How much incentive is there to post when you know that, unmoderated, any one of several people will have something stupid or provoking or uncivil to say about some distorted version of what you've just said.

Plenty of other things to do in most people's lives. Why one could even spend more time on some other forums. At the very least. And when some disruptive elements follow you there, you at least know that there's moderation and PMs and the like to provide buffers. Here, there's nothing like that.

So there's should be no surprise if the place is getting a little boring. Almost everyone who's even a little bit interesting has moved away. I only stop in from time to time to see what's up. I hardly ever post here any more. What would be the point? In fact, why have I gone on about this for so long right now?

Goofy!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:30:28 PM PST
KenOC says:
"How much incentive is there to post when you know that, unmoderated, any one of several people will have something stupid or provoking or uncivil to say about some distorted version of what you've just said."

[yawn] Yeah, good try, but I'm still bored.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:43:40 PM PST
I don't think any forum is actually boring. There are so many things that are interesting. Every day someone gets new music, a new book, goes someplace that, for them is different, Or perhaps familiar, like a gallery/museum, but with a new exhibit. This may sound uniteresting, but every day that I walk the dog, we try and go to a street we haven't been on lately. Maybe somebody new has moved in and they replanted the flowers, or we take some familiar streets just to look at some favorite houses and their landscaping. Who knows? You make it what you want to. i listen to music every day, usually while I'm posting. Could be opera or Bob Dylan.Tomorrow I'm going with my best friend who has to testify in a murder trial - for support. I've never done that before.
Thanks
Bonnie

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:46:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:46:25 PM PST
John Ruggeri says:
I actually like the forum - heck I even post on it. For those of you who don't WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" or more basically "WHY IS THERE A HERE TO BEGIN WITH?". You will NOT be missed by me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:46:28 AM PST
Joe Anthony says:
"your old pal Jacky" says:

"I just discovered I would rather listen to music than talk about it."

I say:

Some music may be better discussed than enjoyed; in example: John Cage?

Say what you will about Cage; but on this forum, his music has led to more lively discussion then, probably, any other composer.

Maybe that was what Cage was trying to do in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 6:33:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jul 26, 2013 6:23:04 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:02:45 AM PST
bejart7092 says:
"Boredom is just the reverse side of fascination: both depend on being outside rather than inside a situation, and one leads to the other."

Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:08:36 AM PST
John Spinks says:
When I was a child I used to whine to the parents, "I'm bored." They would reply, "Well go find something else to do."

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:28:53 AM PST
Wondering, if it's our job to entertain you...what would something like that pay?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:36:52 AM PST
DMP says:
This forum used to be a daily stop for me--the discussions were lively, interesting, and full of a more in-depth discussion of pieces and composers. When I admitted that I loved Tchaikovsky, quelle horreur! (having made a life-time study of his life and music), and tried to explain my fascination and correct the many misconceptions about both his music and his life, I discovered that people did not want to have their prejudices/misconceptions changed by facts, and I was set upon like a cat in a cage of Rottweilers.

Then the stupid, meaningless voting contests began--which were overweighted by the Germanic tribe, where I was also accused of cheating, and once again having my thoughts, facts, and contributions dissed--sometimes viciously--so my visits became fewer, until I realized, "Meh. Who needs this?" So I stop by, once in a blue moon when I *am* bored--and read through a few threads, but no longer bother to contribute. I mean, why bother?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:01:49 AM PST
My recollection, DMP, is the accusation of cheating followed a series of contributions from you such as "MZ = jack a $$ / ha, I wondered how you pronounced his name!" without apology when one was requested.

Without these insights, none is the lesser.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:08:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:28:54 AM PST
I don't hang around here much anymore because it often is boring and when there is a lively discussion it tends to be only loosely related to music. It is usually political, or philosophical, and then if you say something that goes against the grain of the typical viewpoint espoused by the many professorial types around here you get marginalized. Not that being marginalized in an anonymous forum matters much. There is plenty going on in the world that is of more interest, and relevence, than an Amazon discussion forum. I have made a number of friends here but most of them rarely post anymore.

There are only so many game threads you can play before they lose their appeal. Two was about it for me. When you already have 5 recordings of some work it isn't terribly interesting to read about somebody's recommendation for a 6th. There are only a limited number of times you can make fun of John Cage before it loses its appeal.

Millionrainbows isn't around anymore to amuse me, Zadok the Priest rarely posts, I already have Ruggeri's recipe for Caruso's spaghetti. People like R. Hammel, Macs Perkins, Clawd Rains, and others were interesting to read, and converse with, but haven't been around here in years. The whole thing started going downhill about 2009. I blame it on Obama. Everything has gone to hell since 2008. The economy stinks, the forum stinks, my feet stink because I can't afford a new pair of socks. It's all Obama's fault. If Romney had been elected we would have had hope for a change back to the past when the forum was great. It would have given everybody a real bogeyman to kick around for at least 4 years.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:30:25 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 13, 2012 9:00:21 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:35:08 AM PST
Tchaikovsky is one of the ten greatest composers of alltime. Case closed. His music is melodic, colorful, interesting, emotional, and appeals to a vast audience. Only a handful of professors tying to explain how silence trumps sound would argue the point.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:38:23 AM PST
Anonymouse says:
"Millionrainbows isn't around anymore to amuse me, Zadok the Priest rarely posts, I already have Ruggeri's recipe for Caruso's spaghetti. People like R. Hammel, Macs Perkins, Clawd Rains, and others were interesting to read, and converse with, but haven't been around here in years."

Yes. Perhaps those people were just tired of amusing you. I know I was.

So you cut your own nose off to spite your face. How's that working out for ya?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:47:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 8:50:22 AM PST
Forget the election, Omar. Looks like Libya-gate is just around the corner, complete with scapegoats, whistleblowers and femmes fatale. That should relieve your boredom a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 8:49:04 AM PST
DMP says:
M. Ziolkowski ~

My recollection is that I made a light-hearted comment about *my* difficulties in being able to type your last name correctly without two or three tries. Obviously your recollection is different--and it's been my experience (unless there was some vast misunderstanding in play) that people do indeed remember if they have been slighted or insulted--therefore, although I genuinely don't remember having done so, I will extend an apology. I know I never use the "j" word you reference--but even if I implied so, at any time, I do apologize.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions