Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Bargain MP3 thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 915 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 18, 2014 8:16:46 AM PDT
M. Zimmer says:
Even the Ken Burns documentary on the Roosevelts kind of got into the act, delving into Teddy's ill-considered plan to raise an army contingent that he would lead to France himself, apparently to relive the Spanish American War, and 100% oblivious to the notion that a cavalry charge would last about eight seconds in WWI before it was a mass of ground human and horsemeat.

Luckily for all concerned, it went nowhere.

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 4:56:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2014 4:56:25 AM PDT
Ypres1918 says:
Lez Lee, well, it's the hundredth anniversary. The UK paid such a heavy toll, which is simply unimaginable at this point in history. On the other hand, I understand the overload aspect of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2014 4:11:17 AM PDT
Lez Lee says:
Phil, here we've not had the chance to forget the horrors of WW1. This year there have been programmes most days on both TV and radio covering every aspect of the war. We've been in danger of overload which has in some ways been counterproductive in trying to educate the young people.
I hadn't realised just how many musicians and writers died so young.
My friend in Australia send me a copy of this:

Peter Cundall Reads War Poetry

His readings are accompanied by appropriate music and the whole album is very moving - the more so because Peter Cundall is not an actor and reads the poems in his own way.

Sorry, even further off topic.

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 12:02:15 AM PDT
My great uncle's name was Vim..

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 7:43:47 PM PDT
Ypres1918 says:
Perhaps it was Gregory.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2014 7:36:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2014 7:40:44 PM PDT
KenOC says:
BTW, kind of on-topic for right now. Today is the 152nd anniversary of the Battle of Antietam, the bloodiest day in US history. 23,000 dead or wounded.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Bodies_on_the_battlefield_at_antietam.jpg

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 7:32:11 PM PDT
ypres - no, not me. I asked you a while back about why you had selected the handle 'ypres', so maybe that is what you're thinking about.

The story of those days is really a very serious and horrific one. I think that we have forgotten the horror of WWI, to our detriment. We still face the very serious risk of nuclear holocaust today, an even more awful possibility if one can imagine such. Well, now I'm well OT myself, but it was something I wanted to mention to you, given your obvious interest.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 7:11:48 PM PDT
Ypres1918 says:
Phil, 1914-1918. I thought it was you that told me you lost relatives alone the Menin Road. No?

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 6:57:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2014 6:58:29 PM PDT
ypres, you are the King of OT...

By the way, in one of my recent readings, I found myself being taken through the events of 1913 (?), or perhaps 1914 (?), through 1918 or thereabouts, location Ypres in France, chemical warfare, Germans pouring youths into combat to buttress their forces, a time of warfare so awful and horrific that it is hard to imagine. I am now (slightly) more informed regarding those days...

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 6:39:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2014 7:44:12 PM PDT
Ypres1918 says:
For as OT as I can be, I'm happy that the worst that can happen is a NO vote. Otherwise, I'd be sitting on the forum's Death Row for capital OT-ing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2014 6:28:18 PM PDT
Yes, and imagine telling your wife that she's extravagant for buying a few ounces of Comet.

Anyway, if I'm helping to drag us off topic, mea culpa!

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 6:23:58 PM PDT
Ypres1918 says:
Vim sounds like Comet.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:56:49 PM PDT
Wow, although I grew up in the 50s & 60s (in the US), Vim passed completely under my radar! This despite the fact that I became a fan of Rumpole of the Bailey, where (wikipedia informs us), Vim is "often referred to as an example of the extravagant purchases made by [Rumpole's] wife, referred to as 'She Who Must Be Obeyed'."

I think I'm happier to learn about Vim than I am about the Absolute Masterworks series. I always like to raise my cultural horizons, and now I can watch Rumpole with new eyes.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:46:10 PM PDT
You guys make it very hard to have a serious discussion here...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2014 5:43:26 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8au8KACEd6Q

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:27:58 PM PDT
Ypres1918 says:
like Vim?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2014 5:24:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2014 5:29:52 PM PDT
KenOC says:
It obviously means that each CD has been carefully scrubbed with a well-known product. "...gets rid of dirt and grime and grease in just a minute..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulh_oESf5nc

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:22:59 PM PDT
If you think about it (always risky) there is no point in labeling something in a particular way unless people will understand (more or less immediately) what it means.

This was most likely a screwup. The individual doing this upload to Amazon probably was working on it, and their final edited copy was designated 'clean'. Then they forgot to remove that from the label when they put it on Amazon.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:18:44 PM PDT
John Spinks says:
I dunno...I've heard that if you listen to the Rite of Spring backwards it's really a chant addressed to old Scratch.

Maybe that means certified Scratchless.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:09:50 PM PDT
Ypres1918 says:
Perhaps they've been checked out by the Department of Health.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:07:59 PM PDT
HB says:
"What the devil do you suppose "Clean" means? I'm asking because I don't have a clue."

Ypres,

I am just taking a guess but I suspect it means no nasty lyrics. That should not be a problem with instrumental music. It could also mean the playing has no wrong notes and the phrasing is very pleasing to the ear.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:03:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2014 5:04:24 PM PDT
Clean? Oh, you mean how they have described their listing here on Ammy? I have no idea. Another example of how they're all screwed up.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 4:58:56 PM PDT
Ypres1918 says:
What the devil do you suppose "Clean" means? I'm asking because I don't have a clue.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 1:41:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2014 1:41:41 PM PDT
I have the same feeling regarding compilations that don't include complete works. These seem more suitable, or perhaps only suitable, for those people who want a selection of music that is basically a highlights disc (i.e. giblets), and don't care about having the entire work. That pretty much leaves out most of us, I think!

In some cases I might pick up a 99 cent .mp3 download that was put together that way, if it included something that I was particularly interested in - a performance or artist I didn't have, or even a particular work that I might not have elsewhere.

Sony must not be putting much effort into these releases, but it's awfully hard to tell, given the very sparse information we can view on the Amazon page. It's not an attractive price for the limited amount of music it includes. And the descriptions are insufficient, as they are in almost all .mp3 listings on Amazon.

Bach Guild is the only supplier that gets it right, or at least comes close to it since their packages often have errors. I corresponded with Bach Guild one time, asking them about those problems, and was told that their difficulty was in the digital transfers that take place between their origination point, and the Amazon site that stores these digital files. That puzzles me, frankly, because digital transfers should always have error checking and other safeguards built in to avoid such problems, but that's what they said.

And Bach Guild often posts their own 'review' to a new listing, giving additional content information (as well as taking the opportunity to promote the release, which is fair enough). Amazon really needs to make those pages more like other product pages so that sellers can post whatever information they want to describe their product.

Sony is a disappointment these days. They are clearly struggling. Elsewhere someone posted that they've announced a huge loss for this fiscal year. They put a new Chairman in place a few years ago - a Brit, if memory serves me correctly - and have been going through a process of trying to regain their magic for quite a long time now. That Chairman stepped down recently and was replaced by a Japanese executive. The Sony of a couple of decades ago, that had the image of being the frontrunner in many consumer products, and had so many great premium products, is really a thing of the past in many respects. I still use and favor Sony products, but I probably would have to admit that I do it as much out of loyalty and nostalgia as out of a real judgement that their products are the best for the money. I got a great deal a few years ago on a Sony HD television at the Sony Store at the local mall, when they were clearing out the previous years models. I purchased it for something like half price, their XBR model, a legitimate great deal. A year or two later, that store closed down, and it appears that they have only one store remaining open currently in the entire state of Texas. That kind of tells you how things have been going with Sony.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 1:26:16 PM PDT
John Spinks says:
HB,

I beg your pardon. I was wrong about some of the works on that Mozart. I see where I made the mistake. Example: the first movements of the Sym. 41, and Piano Concerto No. 21 list part of the tracks differently than the rest. My goofus.

But what I say about giblets still holds for my opinion of other recordings. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What Are You Listening To Right Now? - Part X 6371 8 minutes ago
Happy Birthday Gustav Holst 4 10 minutes ago
Favorite Works That Aren't Considered "Great" 84 13 minutes ago
Upcoming Releases 1729 13 minutes ago
W's Enshrinement Game - Part 5 5098 19 minutes ago
Pet Peeves 159 23 minutes ago
New listening game 845 35 minutes ago
Philosophy Club 207 45 minutes ago
JS Bach's Partitas for solo keyboard, BWV 825-830 238 1 hour ago
Schubert, we hardly knew you 26 3 hours ago
Good Movies You've Seen - A Digression 4789 3 hours ago
What books are you reading right now? 5490 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  915
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2012
Latest post:  3 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions