Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Good Movies You've Seen - A Digression

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 21, 2014 4:19:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author 1 hour ago
B. A. Dilger says:
"Flight of the Intruder " with Danny Glover. The Intruder (A-6) was a NAVY carrier-based small all-weather night attack bomber used during the Vietnam War. 8:00 EST.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2014 8:00:16 PM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
Watching "Next" where Nicholas Cage has the ability to see 2 minutes into the future in his life--and change it. Think I'll get "Brazil " out for later.

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 7:55:48 PM PST
Ypres says:
Watching Brazil because of above comments. My gosh, Terry Gilliam does some pretty elaborate things, as always. How can he afford to make the movies he makes?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2014 9:41:13 AM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
Can afford that, thanks!

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 9:12:18 AM PST
Eutychus says:
Just sayin' :

Memo to Kim Jong-un: Dying Is Easy, Comedy Is Hard
By MIKE HALE
In one critic's view, "The Interview" is less about Kim Jong-un than it is a typical American bromance, a timidity that makes North Korea's response all the more surprising.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/20/arts/the-disconnect-of-the-interview.html?emc=edit_th_20141220&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=39583697

Memo to Kim Jong-un: Dying Is Easy, Comedy Is Hard
The Disconnect of `The Interview'
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/20/arts/the-disconnect-of-the-interview.html?emc=edit_th_20141220&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=39583697

Posted on Dec 20, 2014 8:24:34 AM PST
Ypres says:
The regular vanilla Tron DVD is still available:

Tron: The Original Classic (Two-Disc Special Edition)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2014 8:21:01 AM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
Ahmad----Greetings! Other than the physical things I hope you're doing well. Finally finished "TRON Legacy " and while spectacular, I prefer the original "TRON". Unfortunately it was re-issued in Blu-Ray (1982 original) equipment which I don't have. Both are by Disney:

TRON The Original Classic (1982)

Or can't afford at the moment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2014 6:39:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author 14 hours ago
Ahmad says:
Hi Dilger, A friend of mine owns a copy of Tron (1982)! I will borrow it and watch the movie soon... Is it the 1982 version? just to make sure...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2014 4:52:09 AM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
James W. Ginn----And a Happy New Year too! Sorry about mailing you but my Gmail is fouled up as much of many Google apps. Acts like a virus since they "upgraded" recently. Or it could have been the snide reviews I gave them. Don't know. Some post allegedly by the Prez won't delete. Let me look into it today.

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 9:59:55 PM PST
Just watched "White Christmas" on Netflix. A couple of really great dance scenes. One called Choreography was really funny.

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 6:53:45 PM PST
John Spinks says:
Zadok for president! Count on my vote.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014 6:43:08 PM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
Ypres----yes, more finding ad infinitum. After the last update of "Metropolis" the price went up. I won't be soaked anymore.

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 6:32:49 PM PST
Piso Mojado says:
Is there any chance they will withdraw "The Great Dictator" with Chaplin and Jack Oakie?

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 6:19:00 PM PST
Ypres says:
A few months ago I found out that I need a new copy of Metropolis. The Complete Metropolis They actually found 25 more minutes of footage.

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 6:14:37 PM PST
Yes, thanks for the tip about "Brazil".

Did anyone wonder if Sony actually did us all a favor by NOT releasing "The Interview" ? Maybe good taste prevailed and a turkey got canned... I mean, Seth Rogen is in it, right ? Maybe North Korea should complain every time an Adam Sandler movie is about to be released.

Posted on Dec 19, 2014 7:44:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2014 7:46:38 AM PST
Ypres says:
Brazil is one of my favorite movies. Believe it or not, the perfect adjunct to that movie is Orwell's 1984 1984--which seems like going from the sublime to the ridiculous or vice versa. With but slightly different premises, they're fundamentally the same story and worthy of comparison. Each time I watch one, I frequently feel compelled to watch the other.

But Brazil will give you endless laughs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2014 4:34:03 AM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
Your old pal Jackie----thanks for the tip on "Brazil " as its in my favorites collection. Might check it out.

Posted on Dec 18, 2014 9:27:05 PM PST
The criterion collection for Brazi has both the 'theatrical release' and director's cut.

It also has an hour documentary on the battle between and the studio on what the film was going to look like upon release.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2014 9:05:11 PM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
Now I have the four "Blade Runners" (not the fifth), but can only wonder what Terry Gilliam actually created. A couple of the "Alien" franchise films had different intents, especially the second. But Hollywood intrigue and deliberate kowtowing to global audiences to water them down is against everything we espouse to believe in. As a fan of many Chinese movies going back to early kung-fu on to more recent releases, they aren't to bashful at all about political indoctrination. As a note, the Japenese are more subtle about their animé directed against our children.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2014 8:19:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2014 8:32:04 PM PST
<<<Where directors are contrained from their artistic expression by economic indicators and some would be enemies of our Constitutional rights?>>>???
Where of you been?
Directors have been fighting with their studios for years over who gets final say of what goes into the film and even if the film is released at all.

Making a film with someone else's money has its price.

The studio that bankrolls the film is the one who has the rights to the film.

Sometimes 'Director's cuts' are issued later. but that just confirms that the director does not have the final say in what is released.

Two films that are very different from their director's original vision and studio released versions.
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut [HD]
Brazil (Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2014 8:00:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2014 8:01:12 PM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
And if producers are scared off by this unholy alliance between Neo-McCarthyism and corporate greed? Where directors are contrained from their artistic expression by economic indicators and some would be enemies of our Constitutional rights? The weak choose submission.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2014 6:17:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2014 6:18:17 PM PST
<<< We have special-interest groups influencing long time American film productions. >>>
And music too...
Stravinsky, Copland and Bernstein are three composers whose recordings they conducted themselves now belong to Sony.

Right or wrong that is part of capitalism...Highest bidder stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2014 6:13:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2014 6:21:32 PM PST
<<<Pal Jacky is the only person since this flap began I've heard say that Sony is a Japanese outfit. >>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony

"Sony Corporation (¥½¥Ë©`Öêʽ»áÉç Son¨© Kabushiki Gaisha?), commonly referred to as Sony, is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation headquartered in K¨­nan Minato, Tokyo, Japan."

=========================================
When Sony pulled 'the Interview" it wasn't an official act by our Government.
It was an act by a private corporation.

If(or when) I insult someone in this forum and Amazon deletes it, that is not a 'first amendment' issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2014 6:13:45 PM PST
B. A. Dilger says:
SONY also controls a major repository of films from a previous American movie studio. We have special-interest groups influencing long time American film productions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2014 5:47:32 PM PST
Piso Mojado says:
It already is, John Spinks, but the uniformed security should be proof against anything except a kid with a slingshot. Pal Jacky is the only person since this flap began I've heard say that Sony is a Japanese outfit.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 209 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  95
Total posts:  5209
Initial post:  Mar 24, 2011
Latest post:  1 hour ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions