Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Good Movies You've Seen - A Digression

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2015 12:17:44 PM PDT
JP says:
Yeah B.A.

That's one I LOVE to pull on the Mexicans whenever they start whining about Texas, Arizona, California, etc. (and often do, right to their faces)

`Sure, we'll give them back to you.'

`How long you gonna hang on to them before getting out and giving them back to Spain?'

`And then how long will Spain hold on to them before giving them back to THEIR indigenous peoples (of course meaning S. and Central American tribes)?'

`Oh THAT'S RIGHT....not an awful lot of them around anymore are there? Because unlike Native N. Americans and the Americans/English/French/Dutch; Spain really DID do a pretty good job of exterminating them!!!!'

It's VERY rare I get a response to that. Pathetic hypocritical Kool-Aid drinking little vegetables who have NO CLUE as to real history. Only what they have been spoon-fed by the Kool-Aid makers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2015 5:57:37 AM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Watching Al-Jezeera propaganda this morning. They been concerned about America's original inhabitants lately. Didn't they lose the war? And what happened to the original original inhabitants that came across the land bridge from Asia? Should we give America back to the Mongols?

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2015 5:28:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author 20 hours ago
JP says:
Always liked Eddie Marsan.

I hope they renew Showtime Ray Donovan. He's good in that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 11:48:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2015 11:50:28 PM PDT
<<John Spinks----Only Hank Williams SR. And his generation played real country. The rest imitated him. >>
He died at 28 years old and rarely drew a sober breath the last 5 years of his life. He wrote 400 songs and started modern country music.

Kind of like Mussorgsky who was a full time clerk and drank himself to death at 42..

Did either of them ever sleep?

THread Duty, Fassbinder drank and drugged himself to death at 36.
He directed over thirty feature films and his 15 hour miniseries masterpiece.
Berlin Alexanderplatz (The Criterion Collection)

Did Fassbinder ever sleep either?

Posted on May 28, 2015 8:55:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2015 8:57:45 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
Oh, I recommend Hank Williams Sr. Album "20 of Hank Williams Greatest Hits":

20 of Hank Williams' Greatest Hits

Posted on May 28, 2015 8:30:34 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
With all my girls out of town for awhile, I get to pick the movies. Tonight it was the first 2 episodes of State of Play with many familiar faces, including Marc Warren, who I remembered from Band of Brothers.

And JP, I do know who Eddie Marsan is. He was quite memorable as Pancks in LITTLE DORRIT (2008/DVD/4 DISC/WS).

I'll have to investigate "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell".

Posted on May 28, 2015 6:41:21 PM PDT
I saw Luc Besson's Leon: The Professional(1994). Barely OK for one seeing. Definitely no second watch for this one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 6:03:01 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
John Spinks----Only Hank Williams SR. And his generation played real country. The rest imitated him.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 5:59:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2015 6:04:00 PM PDT
JP says:
I still recommend the 20+ year old movie, starring Michael Beihn, about the first 2 Americans to summit K2. Most (all?) of the others on the climb died.

Simply called

K2

Posted on May 28, 2015 5:18:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2015 5:21:07 PM PDT
John Spinks says:
JP,

First, 10 + for "Pop Tarts". LOL

Second, my mother and I had that very discussion on country music this morning. That is, about how the new country is definitely not the old country. The guy next door plays country music...you know, Bobby Helms' Fraulein or Porter Wagoner, Bob Wills, Hank Williams, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn or such. That's country music.

On Movies -- Well recently saw a climbing documentary about an expedition to K2 in 2008 (?) Eleven climbers died on that trip. Sad.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 5:08:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2015 5:09:52 PM PDT
JP says:
I don't know....ask me again Saturday afternoon when my ' little shadow' isn't following me around!!
Lol

Posted on May 28, 2015 3:10:59 PM PDT
JP,
Happy now? :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 3:04:28 PM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
I only punch a 'yes' to confirm I read the poster directed to me, if I remember. 'No' is for morons that can't articulate negative reply.

Posted on May 28, 2015 2:11:40 PM PDT
JP says:
I'm not feeling the love here people, no one ever gives me a yes!

Oh.....wait a minute......this is the weekend my grandson's out of town, never mind.......

: )

Posted on May 28, 2015 12:43:04 PM PDT
New country artists use those electronic harmonizers on their voices to make them sound like they were born in a trash can. I can't stand that sound.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 12:20:41 PM PDT
Who knows, classical composers have often used popular music that was in the air in their own CM compositions.
I wonder if any of them ever used popular CM(Country Music) to compose a CM(Classical Music) opus. :)

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:45:28 AM PDT
JP says:
Or by CM you mean Classical Music, as this is a Classical music forum? : )

Sorry, been a LONG day, and a LONG week....for what's supposed to be a short week!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 11:38:02 AM PDT
JP says:
I never have listened to country but my wife does and the funny things is:

A lot of what I hear, if it was 1978 you would have found them in the (southern) rock section of your record store and they'd be touring with Skynyrd or the Allman Bros.

That's not what I think of as country.

Neither is a lot of the music made by the cute little pop (tart) clones marketed as country.

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:34:20 AM PDT
JP says:
P.S. - Finally got The Tubes - The Completion Backward Principle re-mastered with extra tracks. I have most of the rest of The Tubes on CD but never got this one because I have both the original vinyl and the Laserdisc (WHERE is that DVD?!?!?!).

How is this related?

And glad I did because..........

My favorite Chevy Chase movie (other than Caddyshack, which is really an ensemble cast) is a forgotten Gem from 1981 called Modern Problems. (If you like good comedies it's streaming for free to Prime members - Modern Problems ). The opening track is awesome, and is obviously The Tubes. But was never on any of their albums and the movie wasn't popular enough to have a soundtrack album. Had even forgotten the name of the song!!

Yep, it's one of the extra tracks on TCBP - Gonna Get It Next Time!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 11:06:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2015 11:16:19 AM PDT
B.A.D,
I stopped listening to CM stations about 15 years ago because I couldn't stand the fact they mostly play the mainstream repertoire. For a long time I listened and always suggested Radioio.com as a CM web radio with no DJ talk and playing mostly music the other stations rarely play. Unfortunately, Radioio recently changed to become just like the typical CM out there.

Posted on May 28, 2015 11:05:03 AM PDT
JP says:
A good friend turned me on to yet another outstanding BBC mini-series in the historical fantasy realm.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, starring the always reliable Eddie Marsan (if you don't know the name, you'll know the face), Marc Warren (ditto) and a few other familiar faces including Charlotte Riley (i.e. Mrs. Tom Hardy)

Set in Napoleonic Wars England, `With magic long since lost to England, two men are destined to bring it back; the reclusive Mr. Norrell and daring novice Jonathan Strange. So begins a dangerous battle between two great minds.' (IMDb)

7 episodes, I've only seen the first 2, and was hooked ˝ through the first one!! Airing on BBC America.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2548418/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_5

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 11:03:47 AM PDT
JP says:
Yes, what is UP with movies leaving Netflix?

Did they get limited streaming licensing to begin with and now can't renew them because the copyright holders can now get a better deal (i.e. more $$) from Amazon Prime & Vudu?!?!?!?!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 11:00:25 AM PDT
JP says:
I am positive an Extended Battle of the Five Armies DVD is coming and I'm sure it will also show up on HBO...eventually.

Haven't seen a release date for the extended cut but, Jackson ALWAYS makes extended versions of his movies (even The Frighteners, which I LOVED!) and all 5 previous Middle Earth movies do so...........I have faith!!

Posted on May 28, 2015 10:54:11 AM PDT
A little comparison between Netflix and Vudu when it comes to the availability of movies starring famous old actors/actresses.

Search for, say, Clark Gable on Netflix and you find nothing. Meanwhile in Vudu they have about 37 movies. Now, Vudu search engine is wanting. If you enter "Clark Gable" on the search window, you get nothing. What you have to do is to search for a movie he was in, say, The Misfits, then, from that result, click on his name and you'll get all his movies they have available. That is true for any actor/actress.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#search/the%20misfits

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#filmography/554486/Clark-Gable

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2015 10:52:18 AM PDT
B. A. Dilger says:
The story of my life. My CM station still won't play Bartók.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 291 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  104
Total posts:  7253
Initial post:  Mar 24, 2011
Latest post:  13 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions