Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Bartok vs. Haydn vs. Schubert String Quartet Cycle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:40:26 PM PST
WH says:
I've been exploring the college's library. Came across a couple of items that may be of interest to contributors here:

Robin Stowell, ed., The Cambridge Companion to the String Quartet
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003:
Chapter 9: W. Dean Sutcliffe, "Haydn, Mozart, and their contemporaries," pp. 185-209
Chapter 10: David Wyn Jones, "Beethoven and the Viennese Legacy", pp. 210-227
Chapter 14: Kenneth Gloag, "The String Quartet in the 20th Century," pp. 288-309

Also: Amanda Bayley, ed., The Cambridge Companion to Bartok
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007
Amanda Bayley, "The String Quartets and Works for Chamber Orchestra," pp. 151-174.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 2:11:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 12:06:04 PM PST
WH says:
JN, I had planned to begin a new thread about string quartets. Not a game, but simply a forum to list, rank, and discuss favorite string quartets. I'm still in the process of gathering a listing of my own favorite string quartets. For me, the string quartet as a genre is magical. It's one of the densest, most brilliant genres of classical music. I'm not sure who deserves credit for making it so. I suspect Beethoven deserves most of the credit, though Haydn in many ways defined or set the groundwork for the genre. That said, it remains one of my absolute favorite modes of classical music. And frankly, I love how almost every major composer has added to the richness of the genre, to its expressive capabilities, from Schubert to Dvorak to Bartok to Martinu to Rochberg to Ligeti -- a lot inbetween and even after. If you don't want to jump into the fray again, I understand. Like I say, I'll try to design something soon to provoke a discussion. More on all this later. It's been a long day at school, and my brain is tired.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:24:05 PM PST
J. Nelson says:
Alright maybe they should've been given a chance on this forum. Who knows how much different the results would be here compared to the other forum. We could do a game with 10 Composers String Quartet Cycles. Though that's asking a lot for the members to have heard all 10 quartet cycles.
Bartok, Beethoven, Brahms, Dvorak, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Schoenberg, Schubert, and Shostakovich. Someone else can start that as I'm afraid I am the cause for the lack of participation.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:03:19 PM PST
Skaynan says:
Nelson: I'm sorry you got the wrong impression. Why don't you read my posts again and see I don't actually prefer anyone over anyone else, I just think this kind of game should be more inclusive, and I guess the others just think the same. I never meant anything personal against you, and if you got this impression I apologize. To the best of my knowledge I don't have "followers" in this forum; if people here decided not to participate, it's not because I convinced them to do so in any way. I say again: I believe many others have felt that other composers should be included. Again, I'm sincerely sorry if I offended you.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:47:52 AM PST
J. Nelson says:
Unfortunately, this thread brought a lot of negative posts as well. I feel like I'm being attacked here. All it took was Skaynan criticizing my thread and everyone joins his side and decides not to participate. I think I clearly stated this was based on the results from that link I sent which 67 people voted on. I don't know why they think their opinions are superior to 67 others which clearly showed Bartok having more votes than Mozart when it comes to String Quartets. But you, Cute 'n cuddly Bartok, and Mahlerian are defintely my favorites here. All happen to pick Bartok. :D

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 11:35:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 11:35:42 AM PST
WH says:
After JN:

Bartok 10
Schubert 2

B +

JN, Sorry about you getting those negatives. I'm hitting "yes" on yours and others whenever I can. Try, if possible, to ignore them. Try and focus on enjoying things, enjoying the opportunity to discuss / vote on / discovery great music. I'm a teacher by profession, and I come here to learn, to be a student. I teach 100s of students, and the occasional student might write me a negative evaluation at the end of the semester. I always listen to see if there's something I'm not being sensitive to, not being attentive to. But the vast majority of the time, it's simply immaturity. I presume the same around here.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:21:39 AM PST
J. Nelson says:
Bartok 9
Schubert 3

Schubert +

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:18:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 9:52:56 AM PST
J. Nelson says:
I gave you the link to the poll already. You were so quick to snap at me I guess you couldn't focus on reading my posts enough. Those 2 idiots just can't get enough of my posts. lol Here is the thread again. Eat some humble pie now as you were so sure Mozart would be the choice over Bartok. And 67 votes is quite a lot. http://www.talkclassical.com/22566-greatest-string-quartet-composers.html

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:46:23 AM PST
Mahlerian says:
Bartok 10
Schubert 2

Bartok +

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:50:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 2:20:06 AM PST
Skaynan says:
Nelson: what "other forum" you keep referring too? I also had my fair share of null votes here, (try and compete with 15 nulls for an OP! That must be some kind of record!) and I know how bad It could feel. That's why I never null vote anything. Although I must say, with all its "problems", this forum is the best I found when it comes to CM.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:32:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 12:33:11 AM PST
Bartok 9
Haydn 0 (out)
Schubert 3

It's interesting watching the timings of all these no-votings. Clearly those couple of hours that occasionally crop up where no negativity goes on is when our mysterious voter is visiting the impotence clinic.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:09:50 PM PST
J. Nelson says:
Btw you all might be happy about this. This will be my last thread I create here. So much questioning and attacking going on. I prefer to avoid the drama. I understand what Millionrainbows and Arpeggios went through now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 8:47:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 8:51:56 PM PST
J. Nelson says:
Good. I don't want those sour posters who choose not to participate in this game to be involved in the finale of this game.

Bartok 8
Haydn 0 (out)
Schubert 4

Schubert +
1 up 1 down to this point to decide it.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 5:00:55 PM PST
WH says:
After Mahlerian:

Bartok 9
Haydn 1
Schubert 3

B +

JN, I hit "yes" on everyone's to counter the guy doing the "no".

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:58:04 PM PST
Mahlerian says:
After KenOC

Bartok 8
Haydn 2
Schubert 4

Bartok +

This game is defective. Not enough people are participating in it!

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:33:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 11:36:06 AM PST
J. Nelson says:
@KenOC There are no right or wrong answers in music. Just different tastes in music. To me, Haydn is the weakest on the list. He did create the subgenre but laters added on and improved it imo. Those being Beethoven, Schubert, and Bartok.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:23:19 AM PST
KenOC says:
After J Nelson:

Bartok 7
Haydn 3
Schubert 5

H+
This game is defective. It's certainly giving the wrong answer!

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:12:26 AM PST
J. Nelson says:
Appreciate that Mahlerian. You're ok.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:10:08 AM PST
Mahlerian says:
Although I don't appreciate being called a hypocrite, I've given everyone on this thread "Yes" votes to counter this ridiculousness.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:00:30 AM PST
J. Nelson says:
I got 3 haters now and 1 hater that of anyone that supports me slightly. Get a new hobby anonymous haters.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 10:50:29 AM PST
J. Nelson says:
Bartok 8
Haydn 2
Schubert 6

Schubert +

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:29:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 7:35:55 AM PST
WH says:
After Mahlerian:

Bartok 9
Haydn 3
Schubert 5

Bartok +

JN, These three are great, but Shostakovich ranks up there with me. I also love the late Dvorak SQ (but, in all honesty, don't know the first half of his SQ corpus). That said, this trio is appropriate to go head-to-head.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:18:16 AM PST
Mahlerian says:
After J N

Bartok 8
Haydn 4
Schubert 6

Bartok +

I think it's stupid how people abuse the "does not add to discussion" button. Maybe it should be public, rather than anonymous. That would discourage at least some of the abuse.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 6:28:41 AM PST
J. Nelson says:
Stay classy Ken.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:19:18 AM PST
J. Nelson says:
I did actually on the other forum. But I guess this game has great unpredictability because of the format. If Bruckner can beat Schubert, I guess Mozart could to. I'm pretty sure you didn't see how many participated in the other game and blowing them off isn't cool. I'll take the poll format over the voting off format any day.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions