Musical New Year's Resolutions for 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2012 10:31:20 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:12:05 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:32:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 10:33:23 AM PST
Mandryka says:
To focus on baroque keyboard music and Haydn.

To start going to the opera again.

To go more to Paris for concerts.

To buy a sub woofer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:43:58 AM PST
Ahmad says:
I will focus on those "unopened" discs and sets and give them a listen.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:49:49 AM PST
Same as Ahmed!

Also awaiting a delivery of all of Copland's Orchestral music, much of which I don't know well. Will try and absorb as much of that as I can.

And to buy a hard drive music system to put in our new extension

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:03:27 AM PST
scarecrow says:
I've already started by New yEARS resolution by listening to many young composers, Bedrossian, Cendo, Wozny,Poppe, Movio, Sam Hayden is a new find, , ,Yann Robin, ,

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:26:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 11:30:45 AM PST
<<<Also awaiting a delivery of all of Copland's Orchestral music, much of which I don't know well. >>>
which set(s)?
i have the three vols ofThe Copland Collection: Orchestral & Ballet Works, 1936-1948

the composer doing the bulk of the conducting with Bernstein filling in the gaps..
Seems about as 'definitive' as any.
still waiting for sony to make a big bargain copland box so I can buy recordings I already own again, for the sake of a two minute piece I didn't know existed...

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:35:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 11:40:11 AM PST
thread duty.

Over the past 3 years or so, I have acquired a pant load of box sets that I seem to have traversed once and put on the shelf.
I'm going to make a point of pulling them down and hearing a disc or two out of each of them.

My resolution, is to not feel the need to go through everything in a box once I've taken it off the shelf.... I did this with Mahler: The Complete Works - 150th Anniversary Box just over the past few days.....
really,I just wanted to hear Giulini's first....really I did.
that was my intention.
(and my drunk cousin was only going to have one on Christmas eve. Thank God I was 1000 miles away for that one-my Aunt wouldn't let him drive home in his condition, but nobody wanted him to stay at the gathering either)

as great as nothing but mahler for the holidays seems on the surface.... it doesn't leave a lot of room for other things...

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 12:36:01 PM PST
Jacky - the very same recordings.......

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 4:52:13 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:12:06 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:57:17 AM PST
Auntie Lynn says:
Oh, God help me!! I have to update my repertory and that's worse than digging ditches for a couple of years. And I only have four days to get it done - gotta be back on the job on Wednesday... Please, Lord, if I ever did anything right in this life, bail me out now!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 5:59:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 6:00:41 AM PST
Ahmad says:
All right, Auntie! You are bailed out :-)

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:32:12 AM PST
Rustic says:
try to appreciate what i have by listening more. i seem to get very excited by the "purchase" and when i buy something, i'm looking towards the next purchase. i should listen more. i've been calling up on itunes match those mozart operas (of which i have the gardiner box set, handle operas (another box set), the gardiner box set of bach's sacred music, the brahms complete works, haydn complete piano trios, mozart complete violin sonatas, and so much more lately to try to actually enjoy and really take in what i have. i'm definitely a completist but what's the point if i don't listen.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:43:43 AM PST
HB says:
I need to catch up on my library of operatic DVDs. Given a choice between instrumental and vocal, I usually choose the instruments.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 11:56:27 AM PST
Stephen H. says:
My resolution is to like what I like and not let anyone make me feel like I am somehow wrong or not educated enough to have my opinion.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:18:02 PM PST
I have a couple. I've ordered several opera dvds and they've been on the shelf - unwatched. Ridiculous.
I have to put all my cds in order. Being a retired librarian it's insane that I haven't done this earlier. I've only done all my Beatle cds and solo Beatle cds. Now I must tackle the operatics solo cds/boxed opera cds, and the opera dvds. It's just a huge task when your collection extends out into the garage!
And I have to be carefull about spending so much time on the computer - but - it's so much fun. It will be hard!
Happy New Year to All
Thanks
Bonnie

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 2:11:22 PM PST
HB says:
"My resolution is to like what I like and not let anyone make me feel like I am somehow wrong or not educated enough to have my opinion."

Bravo! Over the years I have made a point of endorsing recordings by obscure conductors to little avail. In this forum, the big boys prevail. But I still speak for the little guys, no matter what. My favorite is Rico Saccani, who made a whole series of live recordings with the Budapest Philharmonic starting in the late '80's. I especially enjoy his Beethoven 9th. However, I suspect that I may be the only person who has heard it on this board. Just in case anybody is interested, here is a link to this live recording. It has about the last 5 minutes of the 9th.

http://ricosaccani.com/album-69.html

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 1:47:12 AM PST
I promise to stop saying bad things about Schnittke, Telemann and lima beans--but only for a year.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 6:20:18 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:12:06 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 9:42:34 AM PST
T. Anderson says:
my resolution is to listen to more opera, other than wagner. i have several recordings by many composers, including most of mozart's, but i rarely listen to any opera other than wagner or tchaikovsky's eugen onegin. in fact, i think i will start with mozart. now, which one?? perhaps don giovanni.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 1:35:31 PM PST
Aleksey says:
To listen more often, and more attentively.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 12:32:45 AM PST
Glad to do my part, march. I'm happy to hear you are wending your way through the oeuvre of Mr. AS. I suggest listening to his first cello sonata or to his third string quartet. Both works are appealing and quite gripping.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 6:41:28 AM PST
Dmitri says:
Try to listen to what I already have is my resolution. I had a new box of Prokofiev symphonies with the Czech Philharmonic conducted by Zdenek Kosler sitting around for a couple of weeks. Now having played all of it I think that this is my favorite Prokofiev symphony box set. Every symphony is inspired. There are no clunkers. Each symphony comes across as freshly conceived. I also have a Jochum box with 20 CDs that I haven't touched but once. A Barenboim Beethoven symphony box not yet touched. 2/3's of Jarvi's Martinu symphony box set to go through.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 10:45:07 AM PST
TA, don't start out the new year so dourly. Marriage of Figaro is the one you want!

My resolution is to make good on the older resolution to finish learning D959 by the time I'm 50.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 10:57:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 11:41:09 AM PST
bejart7092 says:
Last year ---
I resolved to acquire every Classical era string quartet currently available. Unfortunately, they keep moving the cheese and I think I missed a few, but not many. Some by Boccherini and other forgotten Italians, maybe. I'll have to do a survey to see what and who I've missed ---

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 11:02:27 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:12:07 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions