Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

For CM lovers, Seagate GoFlex Satellite flaws makes it DOA.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 11:17:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 11:30:22 PM PST
I am creating this post in this forum because its members probably appreciate the existence of a digital storage device that allows one to carry a lot of music around.

Unfortunately, there are, at least, two major flaws with this product:

1. ERRONEOUS GAP BETWEEN TRACKS!

In music playback, there are many cases where tracks are supposed to be played without any interruption. This is quite common in classical music where composers indicate that some or all movements of, say, a symphony are to be played without a pause in between. One example: Nino Rota's Symphony #1 where the 3rd and 4th movement play without a pause between them, and it makes perfect musical sense. Although perhaps more rare, one finds this situation in popular music as well. One example: Moody Blues' Album titled 'Every Good Boy Deserves a Favor' where some of the tracks play without a pause in between. That's how the composer/artist designed. If a pause is introduced where it doesn't belong, it ruins the beauty of the music and the listening.

Most of us may remember that Apple had this problem with CD music imported into iTunes. It was awful. Their solution was to allow one to join tracks at the outset of the CD import. That was better than nothing, but it missed the fact that we want to be able to listen the music as the composer set it AND ALSO be able to directly access the beginning of every track, just like one can do while playing a CD. Eventually, about 3 years ago (or so) Apple implemented a solution to the problem by allowing the user to use a gap-less setting at the outset of the CD import. So, now, the tracks play without the unwanted pause in between, as the composer designed, but we can access each track as a stand alone one.

Now, GoFlexSatellite was released about a year ago and thus should be aware of this issue and should have designed the product accordingly. But they did not. And so far, I have not seen any solution for this problem. If you know a solution, please, let me know. Meanwhile, Hello Seagate, what say you?

2. ERRONEOUS TRACK ORDER PLAYING.

Somehow, the GoFlexSatellite organizes the tracks of each album in alphabetical order and so it plays them in alphabetical order. This is downright stupid! Even in popular music, the tracks are often ordered in a way that adds to the listening pleasure and, in some cases, like the Moody Blues album I mentioned above it IS the way to listen. Needless to say, that is even more important in the case of classical music. For instance Beethoven's Symphony #7 has the following movements which are supposed to play in the order here shown: Poco sustenudo - Vivace; Allegretto; Presto - Assai meno presto; Allegro con brio
However, GoFlex will play in the order: Allegretto; Poco sustenudo - Vivace; Presto - Assai meno presto; Allegro con brio, flipping the order of the two first movements. It also makes a mess of works like Mussorgsky's Pictures at Exhibition and Stravinsky's Petrushka as it plays its parts out of order.

It is hard to believe that a company with Seagate's reputation released a product with such major flaws. But they did. Again, if anyone has a solution for these problems, I am all ears.

PS: A friend of mine used to say that people who build kitchens never worked in one. This is a good example when applied to some high tech companies.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 11:25:42 AM PST
R. Schroeder says:
Isn't this just a hard drive? Does it come with its own music playing software. Both of those issues sound like they should be easily corrected by having your music properly tagged and using an appropriate music player.

I'm not sure that these issues could be the fault of the hard drive itself. I have not used the sattelite, but I currently have and play music from two seagate goFlex hard drives.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 12:24:28 PM PST
Hi R. Schroeder,
It's supposed to be more than just a 500GB HD. You can load videos, music, etc to it. It has its own Wifi capability so you can wirelessly connect your mobile device to it and play the previously loaded content. It's a great idea. For instance, to go from a 16GB iPad to a 64GB WIFI iPad it costs $200. One can get the 500GB GoFlex for less than $200.

The very same albums play correctly on the iPad. All you do is to copy such content to the GoFlex and then play it with their own softaware, which it is probably the problem, which go back to Seagate's lack of understanding of the end product, namely, the correct reproduction of music. Again, in the case of undesired inter track gaps, ITunes used to have the same problem.

Here's more info on the product.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/seagate-satellite/?intcmp=bac_us_h_ext_satellite

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 4:45:40 PM PST
R. Schroeder says:
I see, thanks for the clarification. Sounds like an awesome idea, I usually keep up on these things, but I've never heard of it.

Have you contacted seagate's support? I can't imagine this is an issue that many are willing to overlook. Keep us posted.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions