Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Bargain MP3 thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2012 3:25:37 PM PDT
KenOC says:
Somebody else suggested a bargain MP3 thread but I don't see it. Here's a bargain:

Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 - 6 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 15

Mostly Mravinsky and Kondrashin. These guys don't need 24-bit silky sonics or absolute precision of ensemble -- they play Shostakovich with the gloves off! Just got this set today and so far it's fantastic. Get the $3 MP3 coupon at http://local.amazon.com and you can swipe this set for five bucks net.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 3:38:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 8:00:06 PM PDT
Tero says:
The Vänskä Sibelius set is obvious. Other than that, if you always liked Finlandia with the choir (I think it's for Independence day, Dec 6th), you can have it for 89c
Sibelius, J.: Symphony No. 4 / Pohjola's Daughter / Finlandia

If you like the wholes set, nice package with Pohjola as track 1.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 3:39:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 6, 2012 8:00:14 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 4:14:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2016 10:45:24 AM PST
Larkenfield says:
The entire Ring (about 16 hours worth)
in excellent Denon Essentials sound for $7.99:
Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen
Not definitive, but I consider the 10 discs well
worth hearing for those looking for an affordable
introduction to this classic.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:28:12 PM PDT
i've been considering that ring for a while. i've got 3 complete sets, so it's not like i need another one, but at that price... i'll succumb one of these days.

ken, thanks for starting the thread. i was gonna get to it today, but had to do some running around. been off work this week, and it seems i'm busier than when i'm working.

btw, why in the world would someone think larkenfield's post doesn't add to the discussion?? they don't like the ring?

here's a couple i've purchased:

Mozart: The Complete Piano Sonatas
Mozart: The Piano Concertos

perhaps not definitive, but for $6.99 & $7.99, not bad.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 6:00:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 26, 2013 10:53:47 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 6:28:47 PM PDT
the piazzini concerti set is also missing all of #18.

march, if you like mendelssohn, there's the one below for $6.99. the string symphonies from that set have replaced the naxos set on my ipod.

Mendelssohn: The Complete Symphonies

btw, are we just advertising here for amazon and falling into a capitalist trap?? i ask that half joking. but seriously, i just try to let everyone know when i see what looks like a good buy, and i stroll through amazon's mp3 store regularly. if anyone runs across good deals anywhere else, by all means, include them here.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 6:05:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 6:06:50 AM PDT
Tero says:
41 dollars for 5 discs. So average price really. I like that each composer gets one disc. But the Sibelius is a duplicate for me, so I would only pay some 30 dollars tops.
Five Nordic Masters: Svendsen / Stenhammer / Nielsen / Sibelius / Tubin

If it were a real CD box, I would spend the 40 dollars. The Svendsen disc can be found used for 4 dollars
Symphonies #1 Op 4 & No.2 Op 15

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 6:08:32 PM PDT
here's a good set of mozart operas:

Mozart's Best Operas

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 7:38:54 PM PDT
bejart7092 says:
T. Anderson says:
"here's a good set of mozart operas:"

I spotted those too --

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 3:57:07 AM PDT
mahler fans, i just saw this set this morning. i'm pretty sure it's new, as i browse the mp3 store often, and i have not seen this before. seems like a steal for $0.99, and in my experience the price goes up after a few days or a week or so. i don't know anything about the set, other than the limited info given. i'm assuming the utah symphony means abravanel...? anyway, i haven't heard any of it yet, as i am about to purchase it now.

Big Mahler Box (A Big Bach Guild Set)

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 8:28:58 AM PDT
John Spinks says:
T. Anderson,

Thanks for the heads up on the Big Mahler Box. For .99 it's worth the risk. Downloading now.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 6:38:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 4:11:27 PM PDT
Larkenfield says:
"The Rise of the Masters" series appears to be on sale for $1.99 per composer. The amount of music for each one is between 7 and 10 hours - a tremendous value. The usual retail price is $7.99.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 8:14:31 AM PDT
HB says:
I promoted this set recently on the bulletin board. This is full blooded Tchaikovsky with the most passionate playing I have ever heard in this music. And the sound is wonderful. You can hear the whole set on Spotify. The only problem is the fake names. I really hate that.

The Best of Tchaikovsky: The Symphonies, Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, Romeo and Juliet & The Sleeping Beauty

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 10:10:28 AM PDT
HB says:
Here are two single work bargains. You order one movement and still get the entire work. I especially like the David Zinman Mendelssohn 3rd Symphony.

Symphony No.3 in A Minor, op.56 "Scottish": I. Andante con moto-Allegro un poco agitato

Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 73 "The Emperor": I. Allegro moderato

Here are both versions of Pictures at an Exhibition for less than 2 dollars:

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 10:25:45 AM PDT
HB says:
"mahler fans, i just saw this set this morning. i'm pretty sure it's new, as i browse the mp3 store often, and i have not seen this before. seems like a steal for $0.99, and in my experience the price goes up after a few days or a week or so."

T. Anderson,

Thanks for the tip. I had a feeling this set was coming. I bought the Brahms and Tchaikovsky sets for 99 cents but I had to pay full price for the Haydn set because I was out of town when that one came out for a just under a buck. Even at 10 dollars, that was a bargain.

I am not sure which Mahler set was issued first. Most people think it was Bernstein/NY but I have read this set was the first. But of course
the Bernstein is much more famous. However, I have also read some wonderful things about Abravanel.

Thanks again for the tip. I think this may be the greatest musical bargain of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 3:54:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 3:55:23 PM PDT
KenOC says:
The Mahler symphonies plus the song cycles for 99 cents? Not to be resisted. You can, if you prefer, buy the same download without the song cycles for $38.99 -- Mahler: Complete Symphonies, Nos. 1 - 9 - but I doubt there'll be many takers. ;-)

BTW the CD version of this set got excellent reviews.

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 4:59:18 PM PDT
as many here listen to other music besides classical, i thought i'd pass this along. 10 new free samplers of various types of music. i have found some interesting things in the past with these samplers. there are many other older ones, as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_dm_m729e8?ie=UTF8&bbn=625150011&page=1&rh=n%3A163856011%2Cn%3A%212334092011%2Cn%3A%212334154011%2Cn%3A3000858011%2Cp_36%3A0-1%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A625150011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-blog-0&pf_rd_r=18KWQHQHP36KF6HVX5MW&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1379826702&pf_rd_i=2991313011

by the way, if you're on facebook and you "like" amazon mp3 (you should be able to search it, or possibly like it on the amazon mp3 page), they often show updates on deals, credits, etc. i've found a few things that way. the same is true of itunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 5:32:09 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 12, 2012 9:45:43 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 7:26:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 7:35:37 PM PDT
David M. says:
@HB

The Best of Tchaikovsky symphonies and tone poems are all by Bernard Haitink and the Concertgebouw, previously released on Philips (o.o.p.). The ballets are by Richard Bonynge and the National Philharmonic Orchestra (a nom de recording for the London Philharmonic IIRC), previously released on Decca.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 8:14:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 8:14:51 PM PDT
HB says:
"The Best of Tchaikovsky symphonies and tone poems are all by Bernard Haitink and the Concertgebouw, previously released on Philips (now out of print). The ballets are by Richard Bonynge and the National Philharmonic Orchestra, previously released on Decca."

David,

Thanks for the reply. Of all the orchestras, the last one I expected it to be was the Concertgebouw. Their style is usually much more reserved than these performances. I appreciate the information. I am just curious how you found it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 8:43:02 PM PDT
David M. says:
I was curious myself, because the pseudonym they listed ("Isaj Aleksandrovic Dobrovejn") looked like Issay Dobrowen, a great Russian conductor who died in 1953. But the sound in the audio samples was obviously too good for that!

I Googled the name of the symphony and the timings - e.g. "Tchaikovsky symphony 1 "11:41" "11:52" "7:53"", and one of the results confirmed the exact same timings for Haitink's cycle in the late 70s.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 3:25:25 PM PDT
HB says:
Here is another Mozart set, this time for $6.99. The price is 5 dollars higher than we have become used to paying. However, all of the orchestral contributions are by the famous SWR Orchestra of Baden-Baden, one of my favorite ensembles. Since this is another X-5 compilation, some of the recordings were already on the less expensive Rise of the Masters set. I guess duplication is something classical music buyers have to expect. I have to think about this one but it does look interesting, if not awe inspiring like the 99 cent Mahler set.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 6:39:04 PM PDT
Tero says:
I presume a London orchestra
Sibelius Symphony No. 2

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 3:42:56 PM PDT
just bought this debussy. there is some confusion as to the pianist, but anyway... i have not listened yet, but thought i'd share.

Claude Debussy - Essential Piano Classics
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 139 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  62
Total posts:  3471
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2012
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions