Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

What classical (or classical crossover) Christmas CD are you listening to?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2012 1:41:42 AM PST
Ehkzu says:
For me it's Heavenly Christmas by lyric soprano Jacqueline Marie Evancho.

This is definitely classical crossover and not pure classical--and I generally prefer pure classical--but her voice is the most beautiful I've ever heard, which for me offsets the generally pedestrian arrangements she's given here.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 2:43:49 AM PST
MacDoom says:
It's not really Christmassy at all. But my yearly indulgence is Rachmaninov's Vespers. Choral music doesn't get more atmospheric than this (for me, of course).

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:13:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 4:29:20 AM PST
Make We Joy - Music for Christmas by Holst and Walton
Ceremonies of Carols: Works by Britten, Poulenc, and Respighi
these are the only two that are specifically Christmas that I usually listen to this time of year.

Obviously I have other 'christmassy works' but I really don't pull them out specifically for the season.
respighi's "Lauda Per La Nativitŕ " though short for an oratorio( it is about 25 minutes) is the one 'christmassy' work that would be my first recommendation for one looking for a seasonal work that is new to them.

Very beautiful, in the mode of 'three botticelli pictures'.
there is a hickox recording originally on Collins with 'Botticelli' and two extended orchestral songs. worth picking up especially now it is at Brilliant prices(will third party) but THIS is a disc that I have in regular rotation.
Respighi: Trittico Botticelliano

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 9:00:00 AM PST
HB says:
I will have to be honest here, I have yet to put on a Christmas CD. However, Dish Network has a Christmas music channel this time of year and I have turned to it a few times and really enjoyed it. For classical music, Dish is the best cable TV option I know of. It has 5 classical music channels, including 3 from Sirius XM.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:16:45 AM PST
Tero says:
I've had the baroque ones. Never play them. I might put on some music with organ and brass. People unfamiliar with it just assume it's festive music.

Other than that, a novelty favorites CD with Dr Demento, has Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:37:19 PM PST
'The Bones of All Men' by Phillip Picket and Richard Thompson is playing as I post. Renaissance music with the full range of winds, harpsichord, electric guitars, bass guitar and drum kit.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 4:25:43 PM PST
Tero says:
Dances of the Renaissance

This is also one of my favorites to play for a festive mood.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 5:34:28 PM PST
Ehkzu says:
re: Classical music channels

If we weren't at the north end of our condo complex building we'd have dish, but dish satellites are all 23K miles over the equator.

So we have Comcast, which has Heavy Classical, Light Classical, and a local classical radio channel, but no Christmas channel. We do have about a dozen Spanish language channels, though...and gobs of rap.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:47:07 PM PST
Neaklaus says:
Bach Christmas Oratorio Gardiner, English Baroque Soloists and the Monteverdi Choir.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:04:09 PM PST
R. Schroeder says:
Gotta have my Mannheim Steamroller....maybe a bit of Trans-Siberian Orchestra

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:25:41 AM PST
Tero says:
I actually won tickets for TSO late December. I have to go as I am the employee. Daughter agreed to go with me. I was not allowed to give the tickets to her and a friend.

I think I ended up paying taxes on this prize.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:22:41 PM PST
Ehkzu says:
re: Bach Christmas Oratorio

One think that makes the Christmas carols of this era stand out to me is also revealed in Bach's Christmas Oratorio--in both, Christ's birth and His atonement are woven together. Hence these carols so often being in a minor key.

And also hence--the Oratorio's choruses includes Bach's beautiful harmonization of Hans Leo Hassler's "O Sacred Head Now Wounded" (which also has the distinction of being the only thing by Bach in the Mormon church's official hymnal).

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 4:03:39 PM PST
Neaklaus says:
One of my other favorites this time of the year is a Naxos CD "Home for the Holidays"
Christmas music performed by a string trio.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:09:01 PM PST
Ehkzu says:
re: Naxos Home for Holidays trio

That's the kind of Christmas music my spouse favors too. Narada is another label. Celtic carols on dulcimers...that sort of thing.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:13:07 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:57 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:15:42 PM PST
On a strictly Christmas note: Deo gracias Anglia! David Skinner/Alamire - Engliush Medieval Carols

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:33:06 PM PST
HB says:
"At the moment: Saint Saëns: Christmas Oratorio; Britten: A Ceremony of Carol"

March,

I have that CD and it is truly wonderful, one of the best super budget CDs I ever bought. The Saint-Saens is absolutely gorgeous, IMO. I am not crazy about the more mature but less melodic Britten work.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:42:10 PM PST
John Spinks says:
I really enjoy Sting's effort in:

If On A Winter's Night...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:33:39 PM PST
Ehkzu says:
re: Sting

I hadn't thought about him recently, but he's an interesting example of someone fully in the secular/pop world, yet who has shown he can do classical-ish-quality music, with a genuinely spiritual vibe.

Just shows how great peformers transcend their nominal genres, as I believe is also true for Jackie Evancho.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:31:12 PM PST
Yi-Peng says:
I've just ordered Rutter's Colours of Christmas with the Bach Choir. I will be listening to it with my family and I ordered an extra as a gift.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:46:00 PM PST
John Spinks says:
Oooo. Someone needs some "Sting-ease" spray. Tonight listening to the Nutcracker with Abravanel/Utah Symphony.

Big Christmas Box

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:27:27 AM PST
Neaklaus says:
"Christmas with the Acadamy" Marriner, ASMF on Phillips.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions