Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2013 1:55:57 PM PST
T. Anderson says:
does anyone know anything about this? here is a snippet from the main amazon page:

"What would you say if you bought music CDs from a company 15 years ago...and then 15 years later that company licensed the rights from the record companies to give you the MP3 versions of those CDs...and then to top it off, did that for you automatically and for free? Well...we call it Amazon AutoRip and it's available starting today."

does this mean that cd's we bought on amazon in the past will show up in our cloud if they are available as auto-rip? new purchases will apparently come with mp3 versions; i ran across this sibelius set that is part of the auto-rip program Sibelius: Complete Symphonies but it seems to imply that past purchases will be available. am i reading this correctly? anyone have any info?

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:05:37 PM PST
KenOC says:
Maybe more info here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20972027

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:21:50 PM PST
T. Anderson says:
thanks, ken. it sounds like what i thought. but obviously, only if one purchased from those 50,000 albums it considers so popular. hopefully, they will keep adding. there are some sets i'd love to have on the cloud without having to upload it myself. i wouldn't think it would be a stretch to make anything they have available as mp3 a part of this auto-rip. i mean, they have the digital format already in place. i'll be curious to see where this goes. makes me wish i'd bought more of my cd's on amazon over the years.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:28:55 PM PST
R. Schroeder says:
Makes me wish I'd bought more directly from Amazon as I doubt marketplace sellers count for this.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:30:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 2:31:07 PM PST
KenOC says:
May not affect us very much right now. ' "When we picked those 50,000 titles we focused on having a substantial majority of our physical CD sales covered," said Steve Boom, head of digital music at Amazon in a statement.'

Classical music sales are only about 3% or the total, or so I've heard from usually unreliable sources. We're a bit lacking in what it takes to be a "desirable demographic" for Amazon!

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:34:39 PM PST
T. Anderson says:
true, ken. but that sibelius set i linked earlier is part of the auto-rip, so there may be some others. it will definitely be slow for classical, though.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 2:57:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 3:04:56 PM PST
KenOC says:
This seems to be a very clever move by Amazon. Their cloud space provides access to its music anywhere, on any web browser (incl. iPhone, Kindle Fire) or Android device. And it provides secure off-site backup as well.

If you buy your CDs from Amazon, you get an infinite amount of free cloud space (if it's a qualifying CD). If you buy them elsewhere and upload them, you will need to go to a paid subscription pretty quickly. So there is a real incentive to shop Amazon for CDs, so long as you want the benefits of their cloud space for free. Of course the same free benefits are already available for Amazon MP3 downloads.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 3:32:54 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:12:12 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 3:35:49 PM PST
KenOC says:
Yeah, I just got an e-mail from Amazon -- they've added 19 albums to my cloud space. Cool.

BTW they're reporting delays in that service due to high loading right now.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 3:54:30 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:12:12 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 3:58:10 PM PST
Wow!! I just logged into cloud player for the first time, and like 30 minutes later I got an email telling me they added over a thousand mp3s to my cloud player from 92 CDs I'd purchased previously. Amazing!!!

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 4:58:04 PM PST
T. Anderson says:
i should have checked my email earlier. that tells you my priorities, i guess; i come on here before i check my mail. anyway, i got that email, as well. 19 albums i purchased in the past, some several years ago, are now on my cloud. now that is truly awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 4:59:47 PM PST
T. Anderson says:
thanks for opening a can of worms, march! ;-) but here's one better... what if it was a cd you sold? in that case, you've gotten some money for it, then gotten the album back. hmmm....

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 7:21:25 PM PST
<<<What happens if they import a rip of a CD one has given away? Should one delete it? Totally hypothetical of course .... >>>
I was thinking the same thing....CHRISTMAS PRESENTS...

Ever give someone a book for a present, but read if before wrapping it?

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 7:24:34 PM PST
John Spinks says:
I'm not going to feel too guilty. I paid for the item they decided to supply auto-rip for. I'm not ungrateful, though. A nice kick-back from Amazon and the record companies I've bought from.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 8:57:13 PM PST
Unfortunately, it looks like some of the CD sets didn't upload in their entirety. For example, the Barenboim/CSO Bruckner set only uploaded five tracks out of several dozen. Ditto for the Rowicki Dvorak set, and "Giulini in America"

Bill

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 5:02:53 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:12:13 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 6:45:53 AM PST
John Spinks says:
After reading about the auto-rip program elsewhere and via email, the intention is not to offer complete copies in every case. I suppose it's really a marketing move to get more sales on certain artists. Really, it makes it usless to a lot of classical music. A symphony with a middle section hacked out is worthless. However, I did get some of my purchases auto-ripped in their entirety. So then again, maybe not a total loss.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 9:03:57 AM PST
D says:
where might one find the list of the current 50,000 cd's they have added to the service?

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 8:47:27 PM PST
I just made a visit to my Amazon.com Cloud Player. It does show an Auto-rip for just one CD I bought from them: The Gergiev Romeo and Juliet complete ballet. This spans two CDs. Auto-rip provides just one track (of the 50 on the CDs). This makes no sense.

All my other CD purchases do not show up at all. Hundreds and hundreds of tracks. I am afraid that for us, Auto-rip has a long way to go.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 8:56:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013 8:57:37 PM PST
KenOC says:
Fine print from the Amazon e-mail: "Please note that some songs from the above CDs are not eligible for this feature and may not be available in your Cloud Player library... Now when you buy any CD with the logo, all songs from the MP3 version of that album will instantly be delivered to your Amazon Cloud Player library for FREE."

Note especially "all songs from the MP3 version of that album." I have DL'd MP3 albums in the past and found that tracks were missing. When I complained, I was offered refunds (which I didn't take for various reasons). But there seem to be some ins and outs as to which tracks on a CD Amazon can include in MP3 versions, and as a result which tracks auto-rip delivers.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:44:23 AM PST
Auto-rip forum:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/autorip/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxU80TLEAOLVK1

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 11:54:23 AM PST
KenOC says:
From an Amazon moderator on that forum: "Our ability to deliver MP3s for songs from AutoRip eligible albums is based on our licensing rights with the publishers. For some albums you purchased in the past, we may have added MP3 versions of some but not all of the tracks on the album, depending on track eligibility for AutoRip. We will continue to expand our selection of AutoRip titles in the future, so keep looking."

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:03:10 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:12:14 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 4:45:52 PM PST
Ken - Based on my own experience with Auto-Rip, I don't think that licensing has anything to do with many of the incomplete autorips. I think that it's a buggy system that needs a lot of fixing.

Bill
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions