Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Tone Poems

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 3:55:39 PM PST
Pernickity says:
I'm looking to discover more late romantic tone poems. Some of my favourites are by Karlowicz if that's any help.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:38:30 PM PST
KenOC says:
I assume you know Dvorak's set of five from 1896-97. And R. Strauss's.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:43:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 4:46:45 PM PST
scarecrow says:
Well Franz Listz did many,all fairly never played; and Ferrucio Busoni, Max Reger, this was a transitional form,Vaughn Williams,
those Four Sea Interludes of Benjamin Britten are like Tone poems, Willima Walton, Lennox Berkeley, Malcolm Arnold, George Lloyd,
Michael Tippett,Egon Wellesz, Hanns Eisler, all did things you can call Tone poems, , ,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:47:40 PM PST
John Ruggeri says:
Adrian

This is not described as a Tone Poem but I think it fits. It is a glorious performance IMO

Richard Strauss conducts Don Quixote
cond:Richard Strauss -cello:Enrico Mainardi --orch:Berlin State Opera Orchestra --rec:1933
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xSG2j-WWdo&playnext=1&list=PLC2ED648416ED6C80&feature=results_main

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:48:15 PM PST
Yi-Peng says:
Are you familiar with Smetana's Ma Vlast? I'm fond of the Levine/Vienna version and even the Mackerras and Kubelik/Boston versions.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:06:46 PM PST
don't forget liadov,mussorgsky rachmanov and the russians.

'isle of the dead' by rachmaninov is one of my favorite works of his.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:18:36 PM PST
Some of the Sibelius tone poems are beautiful or haunting or both...

En Saga
Pohjola's Daughter
The Bard
Night Ride and Sunrise
Tapiola

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:20:21 PM PST
HB says:
Since nobody mentioned Respighi, I will take the plunge and mention his three Roman tone poems: Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome and Feste Romane. These are not masterpieces but they are highly entertaining. Many of the world finest conductors played these pieces, Toscanini, Ormandy, Reiner, etc.

Respighi: Pines of Rome / Fountains of Rome / Roman Festivals

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:23:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 5:25:47 PM PST
WH says:
What about Debussy's La Mer? How would one classify that? I'd call it a tone poem.

Favorite performances:
Bernard Haitink / Royal Concertgebouw: Debussy: Orchestral Music (Decca)
Pierre Boulez / Cleveland Orchestra: Debussy: La Mer / Nocturnes / Jeux / Rhapsodie pour clarinette et orchestre - The Cleveland Orchestra / Pierre Boulez
Valery Gergiev / LSO: Debussy: La mer, Jeux, Prelude a l'apres midi d'un faune (LSO, 2011)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:06:30 PM PST
Pernickity says:
Thanks everyone, but I know all those works and for many years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:20:02 PM PST
Yi-Peng, may I add another recording of Ma Vlast to your list of three: Vaclav Talich's last (and best-sounding) with the Czech Philharmonic.

Smetana: My Country

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:22:01 PM PST
I really like martinon's EMI 'la mer',
but he doesn't take those optional horncalls in the last movement..

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:24:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:25:21 PM PST
Stretching the definition of 'late romantic' just a bit: Carl Ruggles's 15-minute masterwork "Sun-Treader" and Charles Ives's "Three Places in New England". MIchael Tilson Thomas's Boston recording remains my favorite:

Charles Ives: Three Places in New England; Carl Ruggles: Sun-treader -Boston Symphony Orchestra -Michael Tilson Thomas, Conductor

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:27:52 PM PST
angelo the buffalo phil version of 'sun treader' is pretty compelling.
do you know it and if so how does it compare to the his boston?

Ruggles: Complete Music of Carl Ruggles

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:28:23 PM PST
How about a tone-poem kind of work that also has a vocal line: Samuel Barber's "Knoxville: Summer of 1915". Eleanor Steber's recording remains my favorite. (She commissioned the work, sang the premiere (1948), and made the first recording (1950):

Samuel Barber: Knoxville: Summer of 1915; Dover Beach; Hermit Songs; Andromache's Farewell

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:38:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:42:11 PM PST
Jacky, I have the Buffalo as well as the BSO. And I heard MTT conduct it live in NYC a few months ago: My first-ever live Sun-Treader.

So: Boston/BSO, Buffalo/Buffalo Phil, NYC live/SFO, all with MTT. There is also one with Dohnanyi and the Cleveland with marginally faster tempo.

I think the BSO performance---it's from 1970, MTT was about 25, and it was probably his first recording of anything---has not been matched. First of all, it's better played technically than his Buffalo one. It's more powerful (IMHO), and it has the supreme advantage of Boston's iconic timpanist Everett Firth playing the timpani part. But the Dohnanyi is also very good. My choice is the Boston, but nostalgia may be a factor here.

(That reissue of MTT's complete Ruggles set that you linked was very well produced by Other Minds from the Columbia tapes, and a copy belongs in every home.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 1:46:59 AM PST
MacDoom says:
As the suggestions so far weren't new to you, it obviously needs to be more off the beaten track. It could be worth looking at those by (in alphabetical order) Alfvén, Bax, Chausson, Delius, Diepenbrock, Glière, Holst, Honegger, d'Indy, Ippolitov-Ivanov, Janacek, Juon, Kalinnikov, Kodály, Lyapunov, Myaskovsky, Novák, Rheinberger, Rodrigo, Scriabin, Stenhammar, Suk, Svendsen, Turina, Wolf.

If there's composers in there who've passed you by with thir symphonic poems, see what they do for you.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 2:01:53 AM PST
Skaynan says:
Nobody mentioned Tchaikovsky? Check his tone poems out too. Not surprisingly my favorite tone poems in the canon are Sibelius's. For a lengthy survey check out the "Sibelius appreciation thread".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 2:06:33 AM PST
MacDoom says:
Skaynan,

I skipped him for not being LATE romantic enough. Admittedly, not all in my list pass that test either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 9:00:13 AM PST
clearcutter says:
Adrian,

Do you know Glazunov's tone poems? I agree with most people that he is generally not a first-tier composer but he did a few tone poems that are among his best work, in my opinion. My favorite is Karelian Legend.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:03:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 10:07:03 AM PST
Larkenfield says:
Tone poems aka Symphonic poems
that combine music and drama:
http://goo.gl/EEmYR

List of Symphonic Poems:
http://goo.gl/30KmZ

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:36:39 PM PST
Even though so named, Sir Granville Bantock's Hebridean Symphony is far more extended Straussian tone poem than symphony. It is in nine divisible parts and 35 minutes' duration, probably disqualifying it as tone poetry. It lacks the structure for a symphony.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 5:37:48 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 18, 2012 5:37:56 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:40:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 6:42:48 PM PST
Mahlerian says:
How about Schoenberg's Pelleas und Mellisande, which is an early orchestral work in the vein of Transfigured Night? It's on the dense side perhaps, but perfectly tonal. Should fit the bill fine. Likewise, Webern's Im Sommerwind is lush late romanticism in the Straussian mould.

Pelleas (written entirely independently of Debussy's opera)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2SvMeyeOgQ

Im Sommerwind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_4H5p0Svk

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 8:09:29 PM PST
Pernickity says:
Mahlerian,

Thanks but I already know and love those works.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions