Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Problems watching Berliner Philharmoniker through Digital Concert Hall

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 3:19:31 PM PST
I am having a terrible time watching the Berliner Philharmoniker through Digital Concert Hall on my Sony Blu Ray player.

BDPS590_BX59Sony BDP-BX59 3D Blu-ray/DVD Player with Wi-Fi (HDMI Cable Included)

The problem is that it keeps freezing and I get a message through the Sony Entertainment Network that there is a server error.

For the time being, I am watching it on my laptop pc with a HDMI cable to my tv. This is very disappointing since I bought the Sony player just for this reason.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, any solutions?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:29:33 AM PST
Maybe you should try to post yuor question on the product forum here on amazon...
Go to the product page and scroll down to right below the costumer reviews where it says:
"Customer Questions & Answers "
and start a new thread with your question.
My impression from skimming the costumer reviews is that there are many problems with this player.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:41:43 AM PST
DiscerningListener says:
<<I am having a terrible time watching the Berliner Philharmoniker through Digital Concert Hall on my Sony Blu Ray player. >>

Because I believe other people on the CM forum may have had similar experiences, I think it's smart to create this tread here.
At same time I agree with Rasmus that a tread on the product forum may also be helpful.
Meanwhile, we just signed up for the Berliner Philharmoniker plan. It's working fine on our recently bought Samsung Smart TV (6100 series) as well as on our iPad.
We have a Sony Blu-ray Disc Player BDP-S390. Later today I'll try it from there and will let you know how it works.
There are many things that can go wrong. One of them is that the app may not be exactly the same. For instance, our Samsung YouTube app freezes all the time, while the YouTube app on our old ROKU box plays the SAME clip fine. Both devices are on wireless WIFI.
Anyway, stay tuned.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:41:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 7:07:34 PM PST
Tero says:
I looked at the site and did not bother registering. The Berlin site claims to have some free concerts. Do any of them work?

Watch them on the laptop first. Then worry about BluRay.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:03:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 7:05:07 AM PST
Hi DiscerningListener,
FIRST UPDATE
I just tried to try. Well, I have to register the device (Sony blue ray player). It tells me they can't proceed with my login & registration, but it doesn't say why. It's inexcusable that a high tech company like Sony would have such horrible software that fails to tell the user what exactly is wrong with his/hers login/registration attempt. Basically, some computer programmer didn't do his/her job, nor did the program reviewer. Test ad nauseam is the job of software developers. Anyway, looks like it is going to take the use of an archaic technology, namely, a telephone call, to solve this.
Stay tuned.

Meanwhile I'm watching/listening on the very same Sony blueray player an YouTube performance of the beautiful Rachmaninoff Symphony #2. No freezes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:06:18 AM PST
The first thing they would say on a support line would probably be : Update the firmware.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:10:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 7:15:50 AM PST
I did that even before I started anything else. It said its up to date .

How about you, DiscerningListener, have updated the firmware on your Sony?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 10:28:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 10:34:10 AM PST
Hi DiscerningListener,
RELATED UPDATE
It just happens that I bought an AppleTV yesterday, which is basically like the ROKU, but has the advantage of being integrated with Apple devices so one can leverage that. It was very easy to install and operate. It's AirPlay capable so one can stream content from the iPad to the TV via it. Accordingly, I logged on the Berlinner Phillarminker via the iPad's Safari, chose a concert and streamed it from the iPad to the TV. It's very easy to control the whole thing, including if one wants to fast forward, which comes handy in the classroom.

I'm now listening to a YouTube clip being streamed from the AppleTV to the TV. It's:

Nino Rota: Concerto Per Archi. Beautiful piece.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 2:43:44 PM PST
Thanks everyone for responding.

Rasmus Oerndrup, I am going to take your advice and start a discussion on the product forum.

It seems that the problem I'm having is related to the live broadcast. I went to the concert archive and there are no problems when streaming archived footage through the Sony Blu Ray. I also watched the archived footage through my laptop to tv connection just to compare. The picture quality is better through the Sony player than through the laptop.

Rasmus Oerndrup and THE Average Joe, I checked my firmware. It's completely updated. I also had a difficult time registering with Sony Essentials and the Berlin Philharmoniker. I signed up for the 30 day free trial. It took me more than half an hour to do it.

I won't be able to test the live brodcast until the 21st which is the next live concert.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:52:34 PM PST
DiscerningListener,

I think you hit the nail on the head. It makes sense that the live stream would choke while the archived played alright. The demand on the server for the live concert maybe overwhelming. In contrast, chances are there aren't many people requesting any particular archived concert.
I haven't tried a live one. I'll see if I can try one in the future.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:11:17 PM PST
Tero says:
So all the live shows will be archived?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:29:22 AM PST
Tero says:
<< So all the live shows will be archived? >>

Don't know, but I hope so.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 1:56:07 AM PST
I have the same problem as you, there are breaks during live concerts while concerts in archive work perfectly.
But I have another problem:
I am new owner of a sony bravia tv 46hx920.
The video quality is perfect, but the sound quality is lower than a cd or a blu ray or even a cablebox or satellite receiver.
My high quality stereo amplifier is connected to the optical audio output of the TV via a converter (DAC).
How to improve the sound quality?
Is there a difference in sound quality between the protocol used by Sony Bravia and the protocol used by adobe flash player (internet)?
Should I buy a converter of high quality or is it necessary to connect the TV to an external computer?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:20:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 5:21:26 AM PST
Dear Classical Music Lover:

Are you playing the audio thru the Sony Bravia TV speakers?
If not, please, tell us how do you play it.

Right now I get the audio via my Samsung led TV speakers. They are not great, just OK, except for an inexcusable vibration of its back panel when some low frequencies are played (like cellos). Meanwhile, the same content played via the Samsung speakers sounds better when comes from the Sony blue ray, the ROKU or the AppleTV, than when it comes from the Samsung itself. Go figure.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:10:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:10:36 AM PST
Tero says:
Flat screen tv's have really lousy sound. About aweek after owning one I went and bought a sound bar, something like this:
VIZIO VSB200 Universal HD Sound Bar (Discontinued)

none of my other stuf is connected to TV, but just regular DVD sound comes out beautifully.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:30:01 AM PST
Dear average Joe,

As i say in my post, I play the sound of the DCH with stereo amplifier and external speakers, the amplifier is connected to the optical audio output of the TV via a digital analogic converter (DAC).

I will try to describe what's causing me trouble :
It is a problem of dynamic range compression, during pianissimi, the sound seems to be correct, but during fortissimi (for instance tutti of violins), a significant distorsion appears. There is a kind of saturation sound. This distorsion seems to affect particularly the sounds with many harmonics (strings or chorus) it is less noticeable on winds instruments. This distorsion may be noticeable even during the applause.
If I connect my headphones directly on the TV, I have the same problem.

The sound is good, if I play the DCH on my computer.

Otherwise, the TV seems to work perfectly.

I think somewhere there is a systematic failure. Maybe in the sony entertainement network.

Sorry for my english, it is not my native language.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:30:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:32:10 AM PST
Dear Classical Music Lover,

Your English is good, no problem there. It appears to me you have an understand of the possible reason for the problem you're having, namely:
1. It's a problem with the audio source; OR
2. it's a problem with the streaming per se; OR
3. It's a problem with several components mutual compatibilities.

Seems to me you are thinking 3 may be the issue, and you may be right.

One thing I would like to do is to play the exact SAME Berlin Phillarmoniker archived concert you did your test with to see how it sounds on my system, specially in regards to the fortissimi parts you mentioned. I've had many times this sort of problem to happen in other systems thru my music listening life. Accordingly, please, send me that information.
Thanks!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:47:38 AM PST
I emailed Berlin Philharmoniker about the problem. The response I got said that the servers are theirs, not Sony's, but that the stream for the Sony devices is a different stream than the one that goes to the PC. I didn't get any info on the difference in streams. I think Average Joe is right on about the stream being choked up during the live broadcast. I'm speculating that there are more people watching the live broadcast through their Sony devices than on their PC's. Does anyone know the difference between the streams?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 2:50:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2013 2:55:19 PM PST
CSO fan says:
I have been having problems with the archived Berlin Philharmonic concerts playing through my Sony Blu-Ray player. It periodically freezes, as though it has lost the stream althogether. If I back out, start the piece over, and fast forward to where I left off, I can usually resume quicker than if I wait until the stream unfreezes. But it often freezes again in longer pieces. I haven't compared playing it through my computer. I have had no problems at all with Netflix through the Blu-Ray player, so I suspect the problem is on Berlin's end, and specifically with the stream they dedicate to Sony Blu-Ray users.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 4:48:37 PM PST
Tyler Kelly says:
I also have had problems with the DCH and my Sony Blu-Ray player for over a year. Live concerts especially freeze up, but concerts in the archive often do, too. I have stopped trying to use the Sony for the DCH and instead use an HDMI cable to connect my Mac computer to my Sony TV. Works much better. The live broadcasts have an occasional problem, but I think that is due to network overload because so many people are watching.

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 6:14:03 AM PST
After so many attempts I still cannot login to the Berlin Phillarmoniker on my
Sony Blu-ray Disc Player BDP-S390. And it doesn't tell me why.
And, yes, I do have the latest firmware!
On three PCs the Sony site keeps telling it cannot open this or that page. Hello Sony, if I can help, I'll NEVER buy a Sony product again.
Meanwhile, I downloaded the Berlin Phillarmoniker app for the iPod & iPad. Next I tested both devices by using the Apple TV option. I simply launched the Berlin Phillarmoniker app on one of the devices, chose a concert from the Concert Hall Archives and played it. The performance shows on our Samsung led TV. No stuttering. Smooth play. Perfect!
I used to be an Apple hater and still dislike some of their computer implementations, like, no right click (OK, they finally got it), insistence on white background pages which you can't change, etc.
However, since my first iPod classic and mainly after my first iPod touch and later iPad, I have become more of an Apple devices user and less of a PC user. And now with the iOS 6 and the iCloud you only need the PC to import your own CDs, photos, etc.
I'm curious to know if anyone else has accessed a Berlin Phillarmoniker concert the way I described above.
Btw, while I'm writing this I'm listening to a Berlin Phillarmoniker archived concert on the Bose AirPlay, streamed from my iPod, again, using the above noted app.

The concert included:
Britten: Passacaglia from Peter Grimes
Jörg Widman: Violin Concerto
Debussy: La Mer
Ravel: La Valse

Never try to listen to the latter piece in your car.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 11:09:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 11:10:43 AM PST
Larkenfield says:
Thanks for the tip on this, Joe! Did not know there was an app for the Berlin Phil. So far I've had great success using Airplay from my iTouch and Apple TV, and now I can try out something new in the way of live streaming. Cheers. ♬

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 8:39:22 PM PST
I have the same problem with the Sony Blu-Ray player. It would make sense that the stream is different for PC because I have no problem watching Berlin Philharmonic on my PC. Sony put me on a different server for the Blu-Ray but I still has buffering problems, life or archived!! What a shame, the picture and sound come in wonderful over the Sony Blu-Ray until buffering starts and sometimes stops altogether.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2013 6:46:40 PM PDT
Chrisb says:
I have had a Berlin Phil season ticket for 2 years but this year I have not been able to stream the concerts to my TV without constant pausing to reload. I have a Mac and am streaming wirelessly. I am so disheartened because I love the Berlin but if it won't play, what's the point? I have contacted the Berlin and they say that my speed is too slow. I have the optimum speed for my area. Why did it work last year and it doesn't this year?

Posted on Jun 27, 2013 8:15:59 AM PDT
Chrisb says:
I have been having difficulty watching the Berlin Philharmonic--even the archived concerts. I am watching it via the Sony Blu-Ray player and I have emailed the Berlin people five or sic times about it. They asked me to run some tests on my computer which I did and they said it was freezing because I didn't have the necessary bandwidth and they suggested I contact my IP which is Verizon. I've called Verizon so many times, I've lost count. They have increased my speed but still I have a problem. I have tried streaming through my iphone and it will do O.K. if there's not too much data--like a single piano solo--but when there's a lot of data, it freezes --even with Airplay.
I have just received the Verizon "JetPak" and that seems to work well--I can get the archived concerts but will have to wait until August to stream a live concert.
The problem with the Jetpak is that if I go over 4 Gig, I'll be charged a lot. As it is, it's costing an extra $70 a month for the Jet Pak. I'm not sure I'll keep it.

I was able to watch the concerts fine a year or so ago but this season I have not been able to watch much of anything without it stopping to load every couple of minutes.
I don't understand why it was O.K. and then it wasn't.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions