Customer Discussions > Classical Music forum

Best current piano trios and piano quartets

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2012 10:51:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 2:27:15 AM PST
Which are the best piano trios and piano quartets currently active?

Some candidates:

Piano trios:

Barenboim/Zlotnikov/Znaider
Braley / Renaud Capucon / Gauthier Capucon
Con Brio
Darmocles
Florestan
Gould
Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson (KLR)
La Gaia Scienza
Shirinyan/Brantelid/Frang
Solisti
Van Swieten
Vogt/Tetzlaf/Tetzlaf
Wanderer

Piano quartets:

Ames
Faure
Lewis/Leopold
Menuhin Festival
Brook Street Band
Nash
Primrose

Piano quintet:

Schubert Ensemble

I don't know if the Beaux Arts Trio is still active - the concert schedule on their website hasn't been updated since 2008. Daniel Hope played with them.

Barenboim/Zlotnikov/Znaider - well, I don't know if they have actually recorded anything but the Mozart trios or even performed together.

I remember a Faure quartet recording of the Mozart quartets, but haven't seen any other recordings from them. Edit: They released a Brahms disc in 2010.

With great Gründlichkeit our German contributor Nada has made a list of piano trios that have released recordings since 2006 which you can find links to below:

Nada's list of trios consisting of soloists:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/classical%20music/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2O5YQ79OVJBUQ&cdMsgID=MxF64YMM2RGM0J&cdMsgNo=24&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxNUHIKYS3ECIW#MxF64YMM2RGM0J

Nada's list of piano trios A-P:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/classical%20music/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2O5YQ79OVJBUQ&cdMsgID=Mx21A2XSDDRUBG&cdMsgNo=25&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxNUHIKYS3ECIW#Mx21A2XSDDRUBG

Nada's list of piano trios R-Z:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/classical%20music/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2O5YQ79OVJBUQ&cdMsgID=MxLFCG5U43TCI3&cdMsgNo=26&cdPage=2&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxNUHIKYS3ECIW#MxLFCG5U43TCI3

To Nada's list M.R. Simpson adds these trios:
Atlantis, Barcelona, George Sand, Eskar, Levin-Beths-Bylsma, Trio 1790, Fishcer-Muller-Schott-Gilad, Bekova, Sitkovetsky, Voces Intimae, Pires-Dumay-Wang
and MacDoom adds: Cascades

Furthermore Simpson mentions these quartets:
Schumann
Zacharias/Leipzig

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 1:02:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 1:05:44 PM PST
Mandryka says:
Menuhin Festival Piano Quartet, Brook Street Band, La Gaia Scienza, Vogt/Tetzlaf/Tetzlaf, Van Swieten Trio.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 2:03:10 PM PST
MacDoom says:
As far as I'm aware, Domus disbanded many years ago (more's the pity). Dedicated piano quartets are rather rare. I can add the Primrose Piano Quartet.

A piano trio I'm very fond of at the moment is the Trio Wanderer. Their Schubert? Wanderful!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 2:05:58 PM PST
Okay, I will delete Domus and add the ones Mandryka mentions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 2:08:31 PM PST
KenOC says:
Beaux Arts Trio has been gone since 2008.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 2:11:13 PM PST
What a shame! But thanks for the info, Ken.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 3:31:11 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 26, 2013 10:11:40 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 3:58:42 PM PST
Dmitri says:
For Piano Trios a tie between Florestan and Wanderer

For Piano Quartet I say Nash

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 8:03:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 22, 2012 8:09:16 PM PST
Ken notes: "Beaux Arts Trio has been gone since 2008".

Their farewell tour included stops in Providence and (I think) at Tanglewood. We saw their Providence farewell recital, where they did the two Schubert trios. I suppose they might have done the Archduke and the Brahms Op 8, but on reflection, to leave the stage with Schubert is about as classy an exit as I can imagine.

I saw them do the Archduke in Washington DC in the 1990s. Library of Congress series (but performed in the State Department Auditorium). Tickets were 25 cents. I never did get to see them do the Brahms Op 8.

Only Menachem Pressler was with the Trio for its entire run.

I still think their Brahms Op 8 is the best one I know:

Brahms - Complete Trios: Opp. 8,40,87,101,114

Heresy: I like their Brahms Op 8 better than the famous one with Heifetz, Rubinstein, and Feuermann (Hollywood, RCA, 1941) Rubinstein Collection, Vol. 24

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 8:14:08 PM PST
KenOC says:
Hi Angelo. Tanglewood was their last US concert. Their final concert anywhere was in Lucerne, or so I'm told.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 1:12:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 1:18:04 AM PST
Brian says:
Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio

http://www.kalichstein-laredo-robinson-trio.com/

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 1:55:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 1:56:51 AM PST
John Spinks says:
I'm glad Brian brought up the KLR trio. I've always enjoyed them. The recordings I have are:

Arensky -- Piano Trio in D minor, Op. 22; Tchaikovsky - Piano Trio in A minor, Op. 50
Tchaikovsky, Arensky: Trios (Koch 7731)

Brahms -- Piano Trios, Op. 8, 87, 101
(Complete Brahms Brilliant 93554) are still available separately, too.

Haydn -- Piano Trios, Hob. XV, Nos. 12, 25, 27, 28
(Dorian 90164) -- Not sure about the availibility of this one right now.

Ravel -- Piano Trio in A minor and Sonatas
(Koch 7726)
Ravel: Works for Piano, Violin and Cello

Shostakovich -- Complete Piano Trios and other works (Koch 7720)
Shostakovich: Complete Trios & Sonatas

The Ravel is lush and haunting while the Shostakovich is exact and exciting. They seem to be a group that doesn't record much but what they do is exceptional. They also have Schubert, Beethoven and a few modern composers down on disc, too.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 3:32:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 3:40:17 AM PST
I added the KLR trio to the list.
I decided to keep Florestan on the list even though they disbanded, because they are so damn good that they transcend rules!

The list of piano trios and quartets is a lot shorter than the one we made of string quartets. It's interesting how much shorter, because to me it says something about the status of the repertoire they are playing. The string quartet seems to be a much more important genre with more recordings. And if you look at the big names: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert they all composed more string quartets than piano trios/quartets. Same thing is probably true about most other composers.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 3:38:58 AM PST
I have Florestan Trio's recordings of Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert - all from Hyperion. They play the late Haydn trios in a very gentle and elegant way that works fine for me and it has become my favorite recording - beating Beaux Arts.

I refer to their Mozart with the word : lounge music - it is easy listening and very pleasant. But I prefer the Barenboim, because Barenboim is a bit more interesting and has a mozartean charm and humour on this particular recording which is hard to beat.

Florestan's Beethoven is the one I consult most often - again like the Haydn : gentle and elegant - so you get a more Mozartean recording than most.

I can't say much about their Schubert, since I don't have anything to compare it with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 4:31:18 AM PST
MacDoom says:
I don't have much by them, just one Saint-saëns disc - but that is very good indeed.

Still think the Primrose Piano Quartet could go on the list, as well as the Ames Piano Quartet (if still active).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 5:06:14 AM PST
Thanks, MacDoom - added those.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 11:05:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 11:10:55 AM PST
WH says:
Among piano trios still working, my favorite is: Frank Braley / Renaud Capucon / Gauthier Capucon. One of my favorites is their Ravel: Sonatas & Trio (Virgin Classics, 2002). They also do a lot of solo work, so I'm not sure how much they tour as a trio.

There are a couple of other contemporary piano trios I only have one disc from, and so I can't speak to their whole discography. One is the Trio Solisti. Their recording of Paul Moravec's Tempest fantasy is outstanding: Paul Moravec: Tempest Fantasy; Mood Swings; B.A.S.S. Variations; Scherzo (Naxos, "American Classics," 2007).

Another is the Damocles Trio who did a wonderful performance of Joaquin Turina: Joaquín Turina: Trios & Quartet for Piano & Strings. Their website has not been updated for a year, but I assume that they are still active.

One interesting piano quintet is the Schubert Ensemble, based in London. I have two of theirs that I strongly recommend:
Faure: Piano Quintets Nos 1 & 2 (Chandos, 2011)
Dvorak: Piano Quintet & Piano Quartet (Chandos, 2012)

Sorry to hear about the disbanding of the Florestan Trio. Their Piano Trios of Debussy, Ravel and Faure is one of my all-time favorite recordings. A few other favorites from them:
Schubert: Piano Trio in B flat major (Hyperion)
Schumann: Piano Trios (Hyperion)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 11:37:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2012 11:37:44 AM PST
WH

Thank you !
I have added those to the list in the intial post.
I have the Braley/Capucon Beethoven violin and piano sonatas and it has become my favorite. Maybe we should have a thread about "Best current violin/cello piano duos"?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 12:02:09 PM PST
KenOC says:
Are there any established violin or cello duos? It seems like they're all marriages of convenience...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 2:53:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 4:20:38 AM PST
Ken

I think I know what you mean by marriages of convenience: The record label asks two stars to make a couple and record some duos. This happens too with orchestra/conductor/soloists in concertos. Sometimes they are good matches... sometimes not...

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 2:55:38 AM PST
I will add the very young Shirinyan/Brantelid/Frang trio, because they made a great recording of Chopin's chamber works for EMI:
Cello Sonata

Trio Con Brio has a funky name - so I will also include them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 9:26:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 9:50:34 AM PST
Ken asks: "Are there any established violin or cello duos? It seems like they're all marriages of convenience..."
And Rasmus notes: "I think I know what you mean by marriages of convenience: The record label asks two stars to make a couple and record some duos...".

I looked around very superficially at living artists and came up with these examples:

Kremer and Argerich
Perlman and Ashkenazy
Ma and Ax

I think they're good examples. Certainly they made great recordings. Did they tour together extensively on the concert circuit as, say, the great string quartets do? I don't think so---possibly because the violin-sonata and cello-sonata repertoires may not be big enough to sustain such duos. Also, all of these artists have solo careers and doubtless make more playing concertos.

One currrent duo is pianist Simone Dinnerstein and cellist Zuill Bailey, who released a two-CD set of the Beethoven cello sonatas in 2009. Beethoven: Complete Works for Piano & Cello I believe they have done some touring on the chamber-music circuit, but, again, they sustain solo careers as their primary interest (and, I think, revenue source).

How about lieder? Julius Drake tours with Ian Bostridge and also with Matthew Polenzani. Doubtless Mr Drake---who may well be the premier lieder pianist of our day and a rather taller reincarnation of Gerald Moore--- tours with other lieder singers as well. But these singers also sustain major careers elsewhere.

My conclusion: Ken's point is well taken. Duos seem to be ancillary to the careers of the participants. But some of these marriages, however temporary and convenient they are, have been triumphs. I"d love to hear Bailey and Dinnerstein do the Beethovens live. I've seen all the others (but not as sonata partners) except for Argerich and Bailey. I have heard Bostridge and Polenzani, both with Drake, and I was delighted with their work.

I'm reminded that in 1928 Fritz Kreisler and Sergei Rachmaninoff recorded three violin sonatas (Beethoven, Grieg, Schubert). These were the only sonata recordings they made together. Those recordings have never really been out of print. I don't think FK and SR did much, if any touring together as sonata partners---which suggests that it was, in fact, a marriage arranged by the Victor Talking Machine Company.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 10:29:23 AM PST
Great post as usual, Angelo.
I started a "Best ever violin and piano + cello and piano duos ". Maybe if you could copy and paste your post there it would be a good starting point for a discussion:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/classical%20music/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2O5YQ79OVJBUQ&cdThread=TxLS8SHYHD2PET

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:57:43 AM PST
Nada says:
Hi, Rasmus.

It's done. Here is a list of piano trios with recordings since 2006 - generally; sometimes with release dates since 2006 when obviously the releases took place some years later than the recording. Example: the Liszt-Trio Weimar, though recorded in 2004 the CD was released only in 2009. (I wonder what it does to groups to have to wait sooo long for a release ...).

My main sources have been Amazon.de and jpc.de, sometimes checking also the websites of the groups. In brackets you'll find the date of recording, without brackets the date of release according to jpc.de. Of course you'll know that release dates can vary by a year or so depending on the country you're in.

I tried hard not to include trios with other instruments, for example clarinet, flute, harpsichord etc. If there are mistakes, please correct me. Also: not every CD mentioned in the list will include only piano trios, quite often the trios are coupled with quartets etc.

In many cases it has not been clear whether a real early recording date did belong to another label's original release. Examples for the discrepancies: there is the Wiener Schubert Trio (label Nimbus) - with recording dates of 1991 for Schubert and 1996 for Chausson/Debussy/Rachmaninov - yet the release took place in 2011 for both (if I am to believe jpc.de); also the Foerster Trio with trios by Foerster, recorded 1969/78, released 2002; the Göbel Trio with works by Loewe/de Beriot, recorded 1999, released 2010 ... In these cases with the very big time difference I didn't include the groups.

Problems arose as well when several groups chose (almost) the same name, for example the above mentioned Wiener Schubert Trio (Kuschnir/Hornstein/Schuster) mustn't be confused with the Vienna Schubert Trio (Redik/Gredler/Mendl) ... Another example: Trio Con Brio. Besides a group Trio Con Brio Heidelberg with bass instead cello or groups with other instruments, it seems there are at least three piano trios of the same name. See for example the website of the Altenburg Trio where they list to each group the names of the members:
http://www.altenbergtrio.at/?site=archive_ensemble&triofilter=t
This site - though still in progress - seems to be very valuable when searching for piano trios (groups as well as works). As I found it rather late, I did not use it otherwise for my list.

Just looking at the recording/release dates doesn't tell very much whether a trio is still in existence or if they have already disbanded. For example the Devich Trio, a young Netherlandish ensemble, with a recording as recent as 2010: yet they already disbanded - which is rather sad.. Have a listen to their YouTube clips - what a pity! On the other side there is for example the Gelius Trio with a recording as recent as 2007/2008, yet they still give concerts, two concerts scheduled for 2013.

Not included are naturally piano trios performed by soloists, i.e. when they haven't formed a group:
- Barenboim/Zlotnikov/Znaider - Mozart (2005) 2006
- Braley/R. Capucon/G. Capucon - Schubert (2006) 2007; Ravel 2002
- Angelich/R. Capucon/G. Capucon - Brahms (2003) 2004
- Brantelid/Shirinyan/Frang - Chopin (2009) 2010
- Vogt/Chr. Tetzlaff/T. Tetzlaff - Schubert no. 2 (2005) 2010
- Vogt/Weithaas/T.Tetzlaff - Schubert no. 1 (2005) 2010
- Vogt/Weithaas/Bohorquez - Dvorak/Tchaikovsky (2004) 2005
- Andsnes/Chr.Tetzlaff/T.Tetzlaff - Schumann (2009) 2011
- Staier/Sepec/Queyras - Beethoven/Hummel
- Queyras/Faust/Melnikov - Dvorak (2005) 2009
- Bertrand/Amoyel/Weithaas - Greif (2005) 2006
- Ashkenasi/Hanani/Tocco - Eduard Franck (2009/2010) 2012
- Becker/N. Kam/Carroll - Goehr 2008
- Kremer/Dirvanauskaite/Buniatishvili - Kissine/Tchaikovsky (2010) 2011
- Kopatchinskaya/Ivashkin/I. Sokolov - Smirnov (2001) 2006
- Irnberger/Cernitori/Sinaisky - Goldmark/Gal/Zemlinsky (2011) 2012
- Lauriala/Latvala/Ylönen - Beethoven (2010) 2012
- Rysanov/Blaumane/Katsnelson - Beethoven (2011) 2012 (viola instead violin)
- Shaham/Erez/Wallfisch - Mendelssohn/Schumann (2011) 2012
- Schäfer/Then-Bergh/Yang - Sabaneev (2011) 2012
- Poltera/Triendl/Bielow - Pejacevic (2008) 2011
- Schenkman/Diaz/Gonzales - Mozart (2008) 2011
- Gringolts/Laul/Kouzov - Schumann (2010) 2011
- Isaacson/Kwak/Janssen - Rheinberger (2006) 2010
- Weithaas/Pergamenschikow/Rivinius - Shostakovich (2002) 2010
- A.Brendel/Armstrong/Bilow - Beethoven/Haydn/Liszt (2011) 2012
- Kaplan/Weiss/Newman - Brahms/Smetana (2010) 2012
- Randalu/Chumachenco/Ostertag - Brahms (2010) 2011
- Vaysse-Knitter/Robilliard/Szabo - Brahms/Dvorak (2009) 2010
- de Saram/Sabat/Takahashi- Feldman (2008) 2010
- Hoogland/Wakamatsu/Suzuki - Mozart (2007) 2010
- Ax/Perlman/Ma - Mendelssohn (2009) 2010
- Adam/Adam/Stradner - Gal (2004) 2009

There's a new Cd with piano trios and a trio for clarinet by Smetana/Ravel/Watkins; as performers are mentioned: Weithaas/Hecker/Watkins/Donderer7T.Tetzlaff/Vogt/Manz, 2012 - it's not clear who is performing which work .... (Sebastian Manz is a young clarinetist whom I happened to hear live; I'd say he is someone to watch.)

Strangely enough one does find the name "Xyrion Trio", although none of the recordings bears that name. And who would have thought to find the very renowned cellist Maria Kliegel with pianist Nina Tichman and violinist Ida Bieler behind that name? Their cooperation has been going on for a very long time, more often just Kliegel/Tichman, or Bieler/Tichman. The Beethoven trios are the only works until now ascribed to Xyrion. One may be curious whether the three soloists will continue as an ensemble ...

Not included is La Gaia Scienza (yes, I do have their Schubert and praise it!). Yet, they are an ensemble of five: a string quartet and a pianist.

And of course there are many entries in the list with just one or two recordings. Could they be called "one CD-night stands"?? For example the Turina Trio with works by Zilcher/Turina/Dvorak (2001) 2007 - since then no traces to be found ...

It seems that piano trios are rather more "shortlived" than string quartets. I wonder why. Of course, quite often ensembles are forming while still attending a musical school. But could it be that in a group of three the normal dynamics of relationships à trois do cost a certain toll and end more often in break-ups?

Ah - the repertoire ... Sigh. I grew tired of typing Beethoven/Brahms/Dvorak/Haydn/Mendelssohn/Schubert Shostakovich and other usual suspects. My American brother-in-law would say: "How come?" Yes, I'm wondering. I can't get rid of the feeling that here you'll find the power of the labels, what they are willing to produce and what is a "no go!". Well, sometimes it might be that the traditional names do earn the bread for labels and performers alike, but if you want some other tastes you'd better go the live concerts.

Maybe the lack of new repertoire on CD might also be due to the habit of mainstream listening, of having lost a kind of adventurous explorations of unknown territory, without a guide ...

But when you look at the repertoire many groups are offering on their websites, there is no shortage of new works. Groups like Trio Arbos (one of my favorites with contemporary repertoire, just listen to their performance of Villa-Rojo's piano trio on YouTube) do commission quite a lot of new works. I think it would be wrong to dismiss all the new compositions as not being worthwhile. Of course, it will be trial and error. But I think there is a wealth to be explored ...
- http://www.trioarbos.com/v_portal/apartados/apartado.asp?te=2582 -
(see also their recordings or their world premieres ...). Or have a look at the commissions of the Kungsbacka Trio: http://www.pianotrio.com/commissions.html (this was part of their website in April; right now their website is "under construction", but I guess the entries are still valid ...)

Just have a look for example at the (randomly picked) website of the trio Triple Helix Piano Trio - http://www.triplehelixpianotrio.org/about.html - with premieres of quite some new works: Lee Hyla's "Amnesia Redux" (2002); David Rakowski's "Hyperblue" (1992) and "Attitude Problem" (1996) - both of which were recorded on the CRI label; Ross Bauer's "Motion" (1998); Richard Cornell's "Piano Trio" (1998); Arlene Zallman's "Triquetra" (1999); Andy Vores' "Dark Mother"; James Bolle's "Piano Trio" (2000).

Or the website of Trio Kandinsky - http://triokandinsky.com/eng/repertorio.htm -:
_Classical Romantic: Arensky - Beethoven - Brahms - Dvorák - Granados - Grieg - Haydn - Mendelssohn - Mozart - Rimsky-Korsakov - Schubert - Schumann, Robert - Schumann, Clara - Serra - Sibelius - Smetana - Tchaikovsky - Zemlinsky
_20th century major composers: Boulanger - Busoni - Cassadó - Copland - Corea - Debussy - Gerhard - Glass - Hindemith - Ives - Janacek - Korngold - Martin - Martinu - Messiaen - Mompou - Pedrell - Phaissa - Piazzolla - Ravel - Rachmaninov - Reger - Schönberg - Shostakovich - Stravinsky - (Joaquin) Turina - Villa-Lobos
_Contemporary: Balada - Bernaola - Brotons - Casablancas - Cervelló - Charles - Dusapin - Guinjoan - Guix - González de la Rubia - Harvey - Henze - (J.) Homs - Hosokawa - Humet - Kagel - Kozakura - Lopez Lopez- Montsalvatge - Parra - Pärt - Ribera Riera - Rio-Pareja - Riera - Rodriguez Picó - Sánchez Verdú - Schnittke - Sciarrino - Suzuky - Takemitsu - (José Luís) Turina - Yun - Zimmermann

Or the website of the Gryphon Trio - http://www.gryphontrio.com/recordings.php - with a fine mixture of "old" and "new" music. I recommend highly their Jeremy Ryan CD: Ryan: Fugitive Colours. Really captivating ...

It might also be interesting to view the website of "foreign" groups to find some more "obscure/forgotten/neglected"(?) composers; take for example the Varsovia Piano Trio - http://varsoviapianotrio.pl/index.php?id=2&&lang=en -: Dobrzynski, Tansman, Fitelberg, Edel, Jadassohn, Twardowski, Szeligoswski and a lot of other Polish composers; of course Beethoven, Brahms, Chopin, Mendelssohn ...

I came across the website of a piano trio society - http://www.pianotriosociety.org.uk/newsandevents.html - and discovered young trios just starting to perform: Hepplewhite Piano Trio - Kingfisher Trio - Sequoia Trio [not to be confused with a namesake trio for oboe/clarinet/bassoon] - Bedriska Trio - Kirolian Piano Trio - Rautio Piano Trio etc.; as no recordings are released yet, they are not included in the list. (And these are just a few British ensembles. Imagine the amount of young piano trios worldwide!)

Last not least: I stumbled across a CD with trios by Heinrich August Marschner, performed by the Rubbra Trio and the Semino Trio (not included in the list). According to the note on the cover these are taken from acetate discs from radio broadcasts and although it could not be achieved to erase all technical problems like radio interference, the rare repertoire would be worth to explore. So, whoever does like Marschner ...

I'm afraid the list might not be as "current" as you wish and one might still have to do some work to find out whether a group is still in existence or not - yet I hope the list will be interesting anyway.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 3:58:50 AM PST
Nada says:
*A - P*

- Abegg Trio - Haydn (2010) 2011; Shostakovich/Obst (2008) 2009; Brahms vol. 4 (2005) 2007; Beethoven; Smetana; Dvorak, Mozart; Gade; Farrenc; Janacek, Schumann ... (last year - in 2011 - they celebrated 35 years!)

- Absolut Trio - Schönberg/Kelterborn/Zimmermann (2007) 2008

- Acros Trio - Piazzolla/Falla/Turina/Mores/Rodriguez/Fancini/Gamboa/Loguercio (2008) 2010

- Ad Trio Prague - Smetana/Dvorak (2007) 2008

- Amber Trio Jerusalem - Yehezkel Braun (2003) 2006; Stutschewsky/Wellesz/Zeisl/Starer/Gal (1997) 2002

- Amelia Piano Trio - Strauss (2008) 2011; Harbison (2005) 2007

- Angell Trio - Fribbins 2010; Martinu (1998) 2007

- Aquinas Piano Trio - Hyde 2012

- Arbor Piano Trio - Martinu (2010) 2012

- Arensky-Trio - Tchaikovsky/Arensky (2010) 2011 Tchaikovski: The Seasons - Arensky: Piano Trio No. 1
(not to be confused with the Arensky Trio whose latest recording seems to be Gernsheim (2006) 2007 GERNSHEIM: Piano Trios)

- Argenta Trio - Mendelssohn (2010) 2011

- ArteMiss Piano Trio - Martinu (2010); Shostakovich (2004)

- Artenius-Trio - Tchemberdji/Ravel/Debussy (2008) 2011

- Atma Trio - Mendelssohn/Ravel (2007) 2008

- Atos Trio - Robert Helps/Mendelssohn/Ireland/Poulenc/Godowsky (1997-2010) 2011; Mendelssohn (2009) 2011; Suk (2008) 2010

- Australian Trio - Saint-Saens (2003) 2008 and 2011

- Barbican Piano Trio - Taneyev 2005. Their website speaks of a 20 year anniversay in 2012, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of recordings.

- Benaud Trio - Edwards/Stanhope/Hindson/Buc 2012 (debut)

- Benvenue Fortepiano Trio (with Monica Huggett) - Schumann 2012; Mendelssohn 2009

- Bonnard Trio - Mendelssohn (2009) 2011

- Boulanger Trio - Shostakovich/Vasks (2011) 2012; Brahms/Liszt/Schönberg 2011; Saint-Saens/Faure/Boulanger (2008) 2009; Wieck-Schumann/Schumann/Rihm (2008) 2009

- Chagall Trio - Reeves/Mealor/Pickard/Grange (2004) 2007

- Claremont Trio - Beethoven/Ravel 2010; another Beethoven will be released December 2012

- Cropper-Welsh-Roscoe-Trio - Beethoven (2011) 2012

- Czech Trio - Dvorak/Rachmaninoff/Suk (2007) 2008; Dvorak/Martinu/Suk (2004) 2005; Mendelssohn; Tchaikovsky ...

- Damocles Trio - Villa-Lobos/Fernandez (2007) 2010; Turina 2004

- David Trio - Tchaikovsky (2010) 2011

- Devich Trio - Turina/Grandaos/Cassado/Arbos 2010; Piazzolla 2007; Dvorak

- Eggner Trio - Wunder/Berauer/Peres (2010) 2011; Mendelssohn (2008) 2009; Shostakovich/Eröd 2008; Beethoven

- Escher Trio - Arensky/Korngold (2002) 2006

- European Fine Arts Trio - Beethoven (2009) 2009; Juon 2003

- Evrus Trio - Tchaikovsky/Shostakovich (2007) 2011

- Fidelio Trio - Nyman (2010) 2012; Bedford 2012, Beamish/Osborne/Weir 2010; Dennehy/Bennett/Gribbin/Volans 2008

- Finisterra Trio - Daron Hagen (2008) 2010

- Florestan Trio - Shostakovich (2010) 2011; Smetana/Martinu/Eben (2008) 2010; Haydn 2009; Schubert, Dvorak; Brahms; Mendelssohn ...

- Fortuna Piano Trio - Brahms/Schubert (2010) 2012

- Fujita Piano Trio - Dvorak/Smetana 2009; Schubert (2006) 2008; also Shostakovich/Ravel 2008

- Gelius Trio - Dvorak/Smetana (2007) 2008

- Gould Piano Trio - Stanford (2009) 2011; Tschaikovsky/Rachmaninoff (2010) 2011; Fuchs (2004/05) 2012; Brahms (2004/05) 2012; Messiaen; Ireland ...

- Grieg Trio - Smetana/Tchaikovsky/Grieg (2007) 2009; Schumann, Mendelssohn; Beethoven; Shostakovich ...

- Gryphon Trio - with clarinetist Campbell: Loui/Messiaen/Silvestrov (2012) 2012; with O'Callaghan: songs by Drake, Gardel et al. 2011; Ryan (2010) 2011; Piazzolla/Duran/Ginastera (2008) 2009; Murphy/Nin/Hatzis/Kulesha (2002) 2006; also Beethoven, Schubert; Shostakovich

- Guarneri Trio Prague - Dvorak (2008/09) 2009; Mozart (2006) 2007; Brahms (2006) 2007; Mendelssohn; Smetana; Beethoven ...

- Haydn Trio Eisenstadt - Dedicated to Haydn (composers: Krammer, Woolrich, Sanchez-Verdu, Kats-Chernin, Schnebel, Jolas et al.) (2009) 2009; poems/texts by Ingeborg Bachmann, with baritone Hilz (composers: Froom, Lauermann, Mumford et al.) (2005) 2006; and of course: Haydn, Haydn, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Beethoven

- Hungarian Piano Trio - Christian Palmer (2006) 2007; Bossi (2004) 2005

- Hyperion-Trio - Brahms 2011; Sveinsson (2007/08) 2009; Reger (2007) 2008; Hartmann; Mendelssohn ...

- Israel Piano Trio - Brahms 2007 ? (Wikipedia: other members in 2011 than in 1972 when it was founded; but that means the group is continuing ..)

- Jalina Trio - Mendelssohn/Brahms 2007 ?; Holmboe/Koppel/Nordentoft/Norgard 2007 ?: Koppel/Rasmussen/Bentzon/Olsen/Lorentzen 2005

- Janacek Trio - Foerster (2011) 2012; Schnittke 2008

- Jess Trio Wien - Schubert (2009) 2011; Chopin (2004) 2006; Schönberg

- Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson-Trio - Schubert (2011) 2012; Danielpour 2007; Beethoven (2001) 2003; Mendelssohn; Pärt, Taaffe Zwilich; Ravel; Dvorak, Tchaikovsky; Arensky, Haydn, Shostakovich; Kirchner ...

- Kempf Trio - Shostakovich/Schnittke (2004) 2009

- Kim Trio - Mendelssohn/Beethoven/Yun (2006) 2007

- Kinsky Trio Prague - Rimsky-Korsakoff/Arensky (2011) 2012; Foerster/Novak/Janacek/Fibich (2010) 2011; Borodin 2011; Martinu 2009

- KMW Trio (= Klingberg, Mannheimer, Wijk) - Chaminade (2011) 2012; Tarrodi/Skog/Bystrm (2010) 2011

- Kungsbacka Piano Trio - Haydn (2008) 2012; Chopin (2010) 2011; also Schubert, Mozart

- Lawson Trio - Knotts/Reeves/Powers/Turnage 2012

- Leibniz Trio - Mendelssohn (2009/11) 2012; Martin/Dvorak/Finlay (2010) 2011; Reger (2008) 2009

- Leschetizky Trio Vienna - Weinberg/Shostakovich (2006) 2009

- Lincoln Trio - Auerbach/Garrop/Higdon/ Schwendinger/Read Thomas/Twoer (2010/11) 2011; Garrop (2009/10) 2011; Lorenz/Pann/Jalbert/Garrop/Fung (2007) 2011

- Liszt-Trio Weimar - Kagel/Schnittke (2004) 2009

- Lom Trio - Granados (2008) 2010; Breton (2006/07) 2008; Shostakovich (2006) 2008

- London Piano Trio - Tovey: op. 27: (2007/08) 2011; op. 1 and op. 8: (2007) 2008

- Ludwig Trio - Beethoven (2010) 2011

- Macquarie Trio - Westlake (rec. piano trio 2003; other works on this disc1996-2006) 2011; Piazzolla (2002/03) 2011; Brahms (2002) 2011

- Manhattan Piano Trio - Chopin/Schumann 2010

- Max Brod Trio - Beethoven 2012; Dvorak 2011; Schubert 2010

- Melcher Trio - Beethoven (2006) 2007

- Mendelssohn Piano Trio - Haydn (2010) 2012; Mendelssohn (2007) 2010

- Merling Trio - Dvorak/Shostakovich 2008

- Monument Piano Trio - Brahms/Shostakovich/Schoenfield 2011

- Morgenstern Trio - Beethoven/Brahms (2007) 2009

- Münchner Klaviertrio (Munich Piano Trio) - Brahms (2011) 2012; Georg Schumann (2010) 2011; Dvorak (2010) 2011; Piazzolla (2007) 2008; Brahms (2008) 2009; Mendelssohn; Haydn ...

- Narziss & Goldmund Trio - Schubert (2009) 2010; Lekeu/de Greef (2005) 2006

- New Trio - Nikolai and Alexandre Tcherepnin (2006) 2012

- Ogen Trio - Psathas/Lodge/Farr/Griffiths/Williams 2012

- Osiris Trio - adaptations of opera arias "Melodies of Love and Death" 2011; Robert Nasveld (2004/10) 2011; Dvorak 2008; Tchaikovsky/Bloch (2007) 2008; Willem Jeths 2006; Beethoven; Martin; Ives ...

- Pacific Trio - Gershwin/Bernstein/Copland/Muczynski (2008) 2011

- Phoenix Piano Trio - Beethoven (2011) 2012

- Pittsburgh Piano Trio - with Kraevsky: songs by Shostakovich and Sviridov (2011)

- Pleyel Trio Wien - Mozart (2006) 2007; Pleyel; Döhl

- Puella Trio - Fiala/Bodorova/Eben 2009; Schnittke/Shostakovich/Martinu 2007
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Classical Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Shostakovich: Horrors 57 8 minutes ago
What's on order? 9049 11 minutes ago
However much I may love this site.....(Volume II) 6243 20 minutes ago
Sick Call 220 24 minutes ago
It happened today 651 34 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To Right Now? - Part X 6203 51 minutes ago
What books are you reading right now? 5468 1 hour ago
Philosophy Club 195 1 hour ago
20 greatest conductors of all time 179 2 hours ago
W's Enshrinement Game - Part 5 5077 2 hours ago
bulletin board 4091 3 hours ago
Bargain MP3 thread 910 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Classical Music forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions